My list of “upgradable” Rams that would make them a deep playoff threat.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Again, my short list of players that,, if upgraded, would make the Rams a very deep playoff contender. Maybe even a SB contender.

On Offense:

Tyler Higbee. He’s sorta been “okay” so far, I guess. As in, not quite a glaring hole. But not a go to stud that will make the difficult contested catch when absolutely, positively needed. Everett is in the wings, but McVay clearly thinks he’s not yet ready, otherwise he would be starting. Maybe he will be by next year, I dunno. Could Hemingway be our stud upgrade? If McVay isn’t sure, might he favor a bold move next offseason to pickup a serious TE threat for this O? I think that one is needed.

On Defense:

Robert Quinn. Set aside the needed cap savings. Quinn is now a JAG. We need better, and while we have a few guys that can play the position for Wade, are they really the studs needed for our planned deep playoff run? Kinda doubtful, I think. I would love to improve beyond “pretty good” at Quinn’s position.

Barwin. Maybe, maybe not. But if he hasn’t improved further in this scheme by year end, I would consider his position as an upgrade need, too.

Kayvon Webster. Just an okay player, at best. Very upgradable if we want to achieve our deep playoff run goal.

If TruJo doesn’t extend, we must replace him with another stud CB. I see none such on our current roster.

Nickell Coleman. He’s a so-so nickel CB, IMO. Another player that I would love to upgrade.

Perhaps Westbrooks is my final candidate, or whomever is our current starter on the DL not named Donald or Brockers?

Not a very long list, is it?

I’m assuming that we can extend Joyner and Sully, btw.

Only one on O and a small handful on D. None on ST, of course.

Very doable via one draft plus a shrewd FA or two. If these few upgrades were achieved, I see few teams better positioned for a deep playoff run in ‘18, McVay’s second year.

Anybody have a different (or longer) list?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Higbee needs to improve. He has been kind of underwhelming overall.

Robert Quinn needs to move on, starting next week as the starter.

Barwin, underwhelming and hit or miss.

We need to keep our corners and draft one pretty high as well.

Keep Nikell Robey-Coleman.

Westbrook's could be upgraded on.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I'm ambivalent about Barron.

We need more size and pop in the middle.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
YAY We're back to kicking young players to the curb half way through their second season :D

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Tru needs big money no way I keep him . He's far from a shutdown corner .

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
YAY We're back to kicking young players to the curb half way through their second season :D
I take it you mean Higbee... somebody needs to light a fire under his ass.
Higbee and Everett both look like they were fading in the glare of the spotlight today

Last edited:

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
How dare you type of NRC in such a way!!!

Other than that i agree. Except i think we can work with Webster. He's had a cast on his arm these past 2 wks and these past 2 wks have been his worst performances, so ill give him a little lee way (sp?)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I take it you mean Higbee... somebody needs to light a fire under his ass.
Higher and Everett both look like they were fading in the glare of the spotlight today
Nah from the GDT and half the threads after the game it's time to cut him we seem to want to stop coaching kids up they either have it or they don't from game 1.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I've already stated my interest in an OT for our first round draft pick, although should an elite OLB (Harold Landry ?) fall into our hands, seems like a logical move. Whitworth isn't going anywhere until 2020, so no real rush at OT.

5 free agents i'd like to seriously check out in the up-coming free agency period :

CB - Malcolm Butler (N.E.) to replace Tru Johnson (we would draft another CB)

ILB - Todd Davis (Den) - mentored by Phillips, this to the rotation as a boost for our interior run defense

DE/DT - Sheldon Richardson (Sea) - could try him in the middle, more likely to LDE while Brockers returns to NT

C - Spencer Long (Wash) - after re-signing Sully as starter, McVay's other Washington C/OG

TE - Tyler Eifert (Cin) - if he passes the physical, sign him to a one year 'prove-it' contract

jmo.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess that I failed to make myself clear.

The context was what players, if upgraded, would improve the Rams to the status of a deep playoff threat? Possibly even a SB threat.

Question for the Webster and NRC fans. You don’t think that we could upgrade their positions? Not only could, but should?

Boy, I sure do.

As to Higbee? Yeah it’s only halfway through his second season. So what? He hasn’t achieved stud status as yet under a HC that is known for developing TE’s to stud status. What does that tell any objective observer?

Well, it tells me that either Higbee needs to pick it up substantially, or McVay might feel he can (and must) do better with his TE position options. ‘Cause I guarantee you that McVay will have his TE production at a high level one way or another. You can take THAT to the bank.

And btw, I’m saying this as a Higbee fan from the jump. But it is what it is.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I agree with all of it except NRC. Love that guy and would love to lock him up for a few years. I'd add Tavon to the list though (unless he'll restructure for a much lower contract). The guy is just paid way too much for the role he plays.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with all of it except NRC. Love that guy and would love to lock him up for a few years. I'd add Tavon to the list though (unless he'll restructure for a much lower contract). The guy is just paid way too much for the role he plays.

I love a lot of Ram players, CanRam.

Doesn’t mean that I don’t think that they could, and should, be upgraded if hopes are being entertained to get to the SB.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i hope our first round pick goes to a bonifide pass rusher

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I love a lot of Ram players, CanRam.

Doesn’t mean that I don’t think that they could, and should, be upgraded if hopes are being entertained to get to the SB.

I guess he could be upgraded, I mean he's not the best corner in the league or anything but I'm happy with his performance so far and he wouldn't be in my list of urgent upgrades. I'd focus elsewhere.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
NRC doesn't need to be upgraded at nickel corner. He's a damn good nickelback.

Definitely agree with the rest, and we desperately need to draft cornerbacks in the next draft.