More Cheating? Nah, can't be.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Some low level Patriots employee will take the fall, equipment guy/ball boy. The league will do nothing to the Patriots.

I hope the Patriots win the Super Bowl, then their cheating in the AFC championship game leads to a vacated Super Bowl winner leaving both the Pats and Seahawks losers.

iced

Question: how does the NFL allow consistent cheating by Bellicheck?

I'm damn near border lining on not watching anymore when we have crap like this allowed to run a muck...

Every Patriot Superbowl has an asterisk next to it, and I see no damn reason why this won't either..

RAMBUSH

Starter
Question: how does the NFL allow consistent cheating by Bellicheck?

I'm damn near border lining on not watching anymore when we have crap like this allowed to run a muck...

Every Patriot Superbowl has an asterisk next to it, and I see no damn reason why this won't either..
Your right about that, and it is only one team, again and again and again. Screw the patriots

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Some low level Patriots employee will take the fall, equipment guy/ball boy. The league will do nothing to the Patriots.

I hope the Patriots win the Super Bowl, then their cheating in the AFC championship game leads to a vacated Super Bowl winner leaving both the Pats and Seahawks losers.

Really...They'll tell us that some low-level shithead took it upon himself (without any big honchos knowing) and deflated 11 of their 12 balls... Their press release said: "We will hunt the guilty party down, they will be flogged in public and finally stoned TO DEATH at midfield of Gillette stadium...We just imply can't condone this kind of behavior (when we get caught)"...

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I still want them to beat the Seahawks though....imagine how they'd whine....the salt from their tears would be most nourishing to me...

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'm not sure if it's another team trying to pile by making false accusations like Baltimore last week or if it's real.

If it's real, why? Seriously why so much cheating. You have a great coach great QB, why deflate balls against a team you are so much better than?

Is there such a thing as a cheataholic? Sounds like Bill needs counseling
If so, this is how the 12 Step meeting would go

Billicheat: Hi, my name is Bill Bilicheat, and I'm a cheataholic
crowd: Hi Bill
Bilicheat: It's been three days since my last cheating. I've cheated my whole like. I grew up around it. I thought I could get past it, but then my team had to play the Greatest Show on Turf during the Superbowl. How could we win? So I cheated. I won. Because I didn't get caught I cheated some more, and some more, and some more. Before I knew it, I was cheating every game. I got caught. The commissioner was new and didn't want a controversy where Superbowls were vacated, so I got away with it. Because I got away with it and my owner regularly has sex with the commissioner, I kept cheating. Now I can't stop cheating. A legendary coach called me Bilicheat, but that didn't stop me. [Bilicheat sighs]
[pause]
I hope that I've hit rock bottom, but I know that as long as Kraft is having sex with Goodell, I'll always get away with it, so I can't stop. I won't stop. Hell, I don't know why I even came here, I love cheating. I get away with it too, so why should I stop?
[Bilicheat walks out of the room smiling]

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Aaron Rodgers is the biggest looser in the history of the NFL. Russell Wilson had the worst game that anyone has ever had, and Rodgers could't close the deal.
I disagree. The two drives they needed first downs the run was stopped and his tight end had a huge drop.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If so, this is how the 12 Step meeting would go

Billicheat: Hi, my name is Bill Bilicheat, and I'm a cheataholic
crowd: Hi Bill
Bilicheat: It's been three days since my last cheating. I've cheated my whole like. I grew up around it. I thought I could get past it, but then my team had to play the Greatest Show on Turf during the Superbowl. How could we win? So I cheated. I won. Because I didn't get caught I cheated some more, and some more, and some more. Before I knew it, I was cheating every game. I got caught. The commissioner was new and didn't want a controversy where Superbowls were vacated, so I got away with it. Because I got away with it and my owner regularly has sex with the commissioner, I kept cheating. Now I can't stop cheating. A legendary coach called me Bilicheat, but that didn't stop me. [Bilicheat sighs]
[pause]
I hope that I've hit rock bottom, but I know that as long as Kraft is having sex with Goodell, I'll always get away with it, so I can't stop. I won't stop. Hell, I don't know why I even came here, I love cheating. I get away with it too, so why should I stop?
[Bilicheat walks out of the room smiling]

(y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
B7uF5mHIgAAH3F2.jpg

Really...They'll tell us that some low-level shithead took it upon himself (without any big honchos knowing) and deflated 11 of their 12 balls... Their press release said: "We will hunt the guilty party down, they will be flogged in public and finally stoned TO DEATH at midfield of Gillette stadium...We just imply can't condone this kind of behavior (when we get caught)"...
According to a report I just read at Yahoo Sports, 11 of the 12 Balls supplied by the 'Cheatriots' were underinflated by "2 pounds" enough said! BRING IN CLINT EASTWOOD AND 'HANG UM HIGH'!

Marq

Marq My Wordz
Name
King
I still want them to beat the Seahawks though....imagine how they'd whine....the salt from their tears would be most nourishing to me...
I can't agree with that one. I would never eeeeever want the pathetics to win over any team even Cheat Carroll. If the Rams left STL and the pathetics replaced them I would have to watch soccer or something. So I will have to go with Seattle in the inaugural Cheater Bowl.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
First, why didn’t the officials notice that the balls were underinflated?
what if the Ref DID notice? That would indicate conspiracy, would it not? So, how could the Refs NOT notice, which is the question we should really be asking now?

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
what if the Ref DID notice? That would indicate conspiracy, would it not? So, how could the Refs NOT notice, which is the question we should really be asking now?

I'm routinely on the conspiracy side of things, esp as it relates to the Patriots. E.g. Patriot defenders holding the Rams receivers on every play in the Super Bowl, that game in London where the Rams players couldn't even touch the Pats receivers without a holding penalty being called... Wasn't it against the Pats that one time that we had like 13 penalties against the Rams and none against the Pats??

Anyway... so I'm probably not the most objective person in the world to comment about this, but it is total bull snot to imagine nobody would notice the pressure difference in the footballs. For crissake, the Indy LB and equip guy noticed, and they only had the balls for like one play. These guys who are handling footballs all day long, surely they noticed but just choose not to say anything.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Report: Colts told NFL of inflation concerns after November game vs. Pats
Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 21, 2015, 12:16 PM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptdhnmjhmdk4mgy3ztniodi5y2uwndgxotrkn2vknzmw-e1421859166270.jpeg
Getty Images
One of the key moments of “Inflationgate” came when Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jacksonintercepted Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in the second quarter of Sunday’s AFC title game in Foxborough. Per multiple reports, the ball was deemed to feel a little light, and from there, the NFL got involved.

However, a published report Wednesday says the Colts’ suspicions about the inflation of New England’s footballs date back at least to the regular season matchup with New England on November 16.

And again, an interception — two of them, actually — was the catalyst.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Colts notified the NFL about potential under-inflation after safety Mike Adams picked off Brady twice in New England’s 42-20 victory.

In both cases, ESPN reported, Adams took the ball to the sideline as a memento, then gave it to the team’s equipment staff.

It was then, ESPN said, that the inflation of the footballs came into question.

As with the playoff matchup between the clubs, the Patriots were the far superior team in the November meeting. Moreover, the only three turnovers forced by the Colts in these two games came on the interceptions of footballs that purportedly did not feel right.

Nevertheless, we now have another data point regarding the Colts’ curiosity about the Patriots’ footballs.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Source: Footballs were properly checked before Colts-Patriots game
Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
130024733_xs1.jpg
Getty Images
With 11 of 12 footballs used by the Patriots in Sunday’s AFC title game reportedly underinflated by two pounds per square inch, several questions remain. And here are answers to a couple of them.

First, per a league source, the NFL has reviewed the entire process and determined that the balls were properly checked by the officials before the game. Which means that, when the balls left the possession of the referee, the pressure was at least 12.5 PSI and no more than 13.5 PSI.

Second, as to the fact that the officials didn’t notice anything wrong with the balls while handling them after every play, the source explains that a pressure difference of one or two pounds would not be obvious, if the official is not specifically looking for it.

In this specific case, the NFL indeed became aware of the issue in the first half — as previously pointed out by Bob Glauber of Newsday. Per the source, the league opted not to stop the game during the first half but to test the balls at halftime, which they did.

Which is when the NFL determined that 11 of the 12 balls were below two pounds below the mandatory minimum PSI of 12.5.

Plenty of other questions remains, but it appears that the NFL has determined that: (1) the balls were properly inspected before the game; and (2) there’s no reason to believe the officials should have noticed anything unusual.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Cold weather does indeed reduce ball pressure
Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2015, 11:11 AM EST
94982368.jpg
Getty Images
I’ve dusted off today a long-lost engineering degree from what seems like five lifetimes ago to explain how air pressure drops when the temperature does.

The concept is known as the ideal gas law. PV equals nRT. The “P” is pressure. The “T” is temperature. If the “V” (volume) the “n” (amount of gas, in “moles”) and the “R” (the “ideal gas constant,” which is sort of like pi) remain the same, a drop in temperature necessarily results in a drop in pressure.

The folks at SportsScience addressed this issue in 2010. A ball exposed to 10-degree temperatures for an hour, the pressure drops from 13.5 PSI to 11 PSI.

Of course, that doesn’t fully account for a drop from 12.5 PSI to 10.5 PSI in 51-degree weather for 90 minutes or so. But it proves that, when it’s cold, the pressure inside a football drops.

In this specific situation, it could be that some pressure was removed from the balls, and that the 51-degree temperature did the rest. Regardless, when the mercury drops, footballs naturally deflate, at least a little.

Permalink 103 Comments

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Cold weather does indeed reduce ball pressure
Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2015, 11:11 AM EST
94982368.jpg
Getty Images
I’ve dusted off today a long-lost engineering degree from what seems like five lifetimes ago to explain how air pressure drops when the temperature does.

The concept is known as the ideal gas law. PV equals nRT. The “P” is pressure. The “T” is temperature. If the “V” (volume) the “n” (amount of gas, in “moles”) and the “R” (the “ideal gas constant,” which is sort of like pi) remain the same, a drop in temperature necessarily results in a drop in pressure.

The folks at SportsScience addressed this issue in 2010. A ball exposed to 10-degree temperatures for an hour, the pressure drops from 13.5 PSI to 11 PSI.

Of course, that doesn’t fully account for a drop from 12.5 PSI to 10.5 PSI in 51-degree weather for 90 minutes or so. But it proves that, when it’s cold, the pressure inside a football drops.

In this specific situation, it could be that some pressure was removed from the balls, and that the 51-degree temperature did the rest. Regardless, when the mercury drops, footballs naturally deflate, at least a little.

Permalink 103 Comments
Yeah, that's true. Happens to car tires as well.
But only the balls on one side of the field? lol. Must have been significantly colder on the pats' bench.