MMQB - Oopsed when I merged. This is Den's Dysfunction thread.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
That's how journalism works tho. You go behind closed doors say your piece and remain anonymous.
Yeah unfortunately there are far too many "journalists" who are slimeballs. And too many unnamed sources who may or may not be actually living humans and may not want their names attached to the trash that gets picked apart to make the story.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Yeah unfortunately there are far too many "journalists" who are slimeballs. And too many unnamed sources who may or may not be actually living humans and may not want their names attached to the trash that gets picked apart to make the story.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. We saw how bad it can get with the last election.
It's funny how we never heard any of this when they were in Stl. and the second they come to LA they blow up and the stories start flying.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Oh you're one of those guys who thinks the W.L record is the only measuring stick?
Well, on field success and the direction it trends should be the primary measuring stick to judge a coaching staff, no?

The offense has taken large steps back overall.
Their best offensive weapons, Austin and Gurley, have taken large steps back.
Their O-line has taken a step back from last season.
They're on pace to get to the quarterback 12 fewer times in 2016, so a step back on the pass rush.
They've shown no growth in total defense, being ranked no higher than 13th and no lower than 16th (currently 15th).
They've shown no growth in winning games, never winning more than 7 or fewer than 6.

What measuring stick should be used if not the team's play on the field? And what of the trends and trajectories of the team and its players implies that the coaching staff or front office has done a commendable job?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This is the kind of crap that you start hearing about any sports team when things are going badly.

Hate that it's happening to my Rams now but not surprised.
Exactly. And - so that I have this straight - Fisher said they have had some misfortune with some of their picks in Sted and Mason and that has become throwing Snead under the bus? MMQB has pretty much had exactly zero good things to say about the Rams since they began. Notice their steadfast MO. Unnamed sources, innuendos, unsubstantiated horseshit to come back around to a narrative they are trying to make a story out of.

Look - I'll admit that saying they have had some unfortunate issues with some of their picks seemed like a pretty lame excuse by Fisher. But saying it was him throwing Les under the bus and then making it into a soap opera story line is just MMQB at its finest.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Fisher seems to be all about the optics - what do people think about him? What's his reputation?
He wants the players to think he's a great guy who is their buddy.
He wants the fans to think he's a down-to-earth coach who players would run through a wall for.
He wants people to think he's the leader of the team, with all decisions running through him.
He wants people to think that bad decisions ran through someone else.

Matt Patricia, people. You need a Matt Patricia in your lives. The Jeff Fisher Day Spa for Athletes Who Can't Handle Someone Who Talked Negatively About Them On The Sidelines needs to close if the Rams are to become a contender.

Matt Patricia =
giphy.gif

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin was an over-reach. He probably would have been there in the second round. Plus he hasn't been used properly.

i don't think so. the jets had 2 picks around the #10 spot and the rams must of got an inkling they were taking tavon with one of them. that's why they traded up, ugh, to get him.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Matt Patricia =
giphy.gif
I'm curious why not? He's coached both offense and defense, he's been successful at both, he's a rocket scientist (seriously), he'd have access to a pretty nice pool of potential assistants, and he's a brilliant football tactician. What's not to like?

Edit: He'd also immediately have one of the more epic beards in SoCal.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Oh you're one of those guys who thinks the W.L record is the only measuring stick?

God forbid we judge him off wins and losses. That would be unfair. Lets just give him a participation trophy and be happy. Us fans shouldn't care about wins and losses huh? Such a weak argument.

I mean after 5 seasons of under .500 football and a declining win loss-record, I'm sorry if I don't see the "significant" improvements fisher has made to the team.

But hey if you're happy with his terrible offenses and horrible coaching record than ok. But I would like this franchise to aim higher than what Fisher has produced these last 5 years. Rams can and should try do better at the HC position in my opinion.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. And - so that I have this straight - Fisher said they have had some misfortune with some of their picks in Sted and Mason and that has become throwing Snead under the bus? MMQB has pretty much had exactly zero good things to say about the Rams since they began. Notice their steadfast MO. Unnamed sources, innuendos, unsubstantiated horseshit to come back around to a narrative they are trying to make a story out of.

Look - I'll admit that saying they have had some unfortunate issues with some of their picks seemed like a pretty lame excuse by Fisher. But saying it was him throwing Les under the bus and then making it into a soap opera story line is just MMQB at its finest.
So, after reading this latest condemnation of my favorite team, I started to wonder...

Why?

Why are the Rams being portrayed like this? The media (it's getting so that there are too many to name), famous ex-players...

Why do so many seem to have it out for the Rams? Any why now?

Seems we can't come here one day without some story (now most of them are national) about how dysfunctional the organization has become. This happened overnight? Who pissed them off?

Maddening...

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm curious why not? He's coached both offense and defense, he's been successful at both, he's a rocket scientist (seriously), he'd have access to a pretty nice pool of potential assistants, and he's a brilliant football tactician. What's not to like?

Judging by two disagreements on a previous post of mine in this thread, I'm guessing you've got a job on your hands selling him to the board.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. And - so that I have this straight - Fisher said they have had some misfortune with some of their picks in Sted and Mason and that has become throwing Snead under the bus?
I don't know how else to read it though. On the subject of Snead's extension, Fisher made it out that he didn't know about because he was too busy, and that his role was W/L. And then he said that they have to get better at personnel, (which seems to be implied isn't his responsibility)
I know there's way too much dog pile on the rabbit stuff here with Fisher, and I'm doing my best to stay away from it, but I cant help but see him deflecting there.
In any event, no matter what happens after the season, we still have 4 games left. LEts just win Sunday and put all this nonsense behind us for a week at least!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well, on field success and the direction it trends should be the primary measuring stick to judge a coaching staff, no?

The offense has taken large steps back overall.
Their best offensive weapons, Austin and Gurley, have taken large steps back.
Their O-line has taken a step back from last season.
They're on pace to get to the quarterback 12 fewer times in 2016, so a step back on the pass rush.
They've shown no growth in total defense, being ranked no higher than 13th and no lower than 16th (currently 15th).
They've shown no growth in winning games, never winning more than 7 or fewer than 6.

What measuring stick should be used if not the team's play on the field? And what of the trends and trajectories of the team and its players implies that the coaching staff or front office has done a commendable job?
No I would not agree that the W/L record should be the measuring stick there are far too many other factors that should be considered and much of that fans and reports have no insight to.

Since stats are not equal they are ok to look at but its not as if all teams play the same schedule and even those that do don't play them all at the same venue in the same conditions.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
No I would not agree that the W/L record should be the measuring stick there are far too many other factors that should be considered and much of that fans and reports have no insight to.

Since stats are not equal they are ok to look at but its not as if all teams play the same schedule and even those that do don't play them all at the same venue in the same conditions.
All teams face different schedules and venues on a year-in year-out basis. Good teams win, and grow, and develop players into more than they were before. Bad teams don't.

What should the measuring stick of a coaching staff's success be, then, if not wins and losses, and also not statistical on-field improvements?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I would agree with you if the sample size was small. But five years, five drafts, countless free agent signings, numerous coaching changes and the like makes me consider the overall w/l record as the most significant measure of this HC.

The franchise has been more than fair on this one, IMO

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
So, after reading this latest condemnation of my favorite team, I started to wonder...

Why?

Why are the Rams being portrayed like this? The media (it's getting so that there are too many to name), famous ex-players...

Why do so many seem to have it out for the Rams? Any why now?

Seems we can't come here one day without some story (now most of them are national) about how dysfunctional the organization has become. This happened overnight? Who pissed them off?

Maddening...

It could be that the glare of the spotlight is a lot brighter in LA than it was in St. Louis.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I never really understood the parameters of the Snead / Fisher relationship. Who's the Pappy and who's the Grandpappy?

This article just confused me even more.

I'd like to know who's name is tied to each draft pick and who's name is tied to each draft pick that got away.
For example. There has to be someone in the organization that liked A. Jeffrey over B. Quick.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
God forbid we judge him off wins and losses. That would be unfair. Lets just give him a participation trophy and be happy. Us fans shouldn't care about wins and losses huh? Such a weak argument.

I mean after 5 seasons of under .500 football and a declining win loss-record, I'm sorry if I don't see the "significant" improvements fisher has made to the team.

But hey if you're happy with his terrible offenses and horrible coaching record than ok. But I would like this franchise to aim higher than what Fisher has produced these last 5 years. Rams can and should try do better at the HC position in my opinion.
Not unfair but myopic.

With the team Fisher came to what year do you think they should have had their first winning season?
Who was the QB that year? Who were the skill players? OC? What kind of injuries happened that year? How do you think the pending and evental move to LA would affect offseason preparations and practice/development of players?

There's a hell of a lot more involved than just wins and losses.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

If there is going to be a new coach and staff I would not mind seeing him get a shot. As you have pointed out he has some desirable background and experience.