MMQB: Are the Rams a Quarterback Away From Being a Quality Team?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Anyone laughing at Carr would be making a mistake.
The guy has the tools to be a very good qb.

Agreed which is why I think Mok meant the Raiders' GM would be laughing at Snead.

Back to the OP, I believe the Rams are a QB and OC away from being legit. No matter which QB they get he's not gonna be any good playing for Schotty; he'll be up and down week by week, stifled at one turn, looking great the next. Teasing us weekly.

Fish is gonna have to make a change this offseason to go with the drafting of a QB high. Plain and simple.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I really don't like any of the top qbs in this draft.... I'd rather get a free agent(who I don't know), redo Bradfords contract and say let the best man win. Everyone agrees we need O-line help so even though it's not considered exciting I want to see at least 2 drafted high.

Here's the reality brother... The FA quarterbacks are terrible. Best one will end up being Sanchez, who has already underwhelmed greatly in the Schotty offense. Why he would want to be coached by Schotty again, well, he almost surely wouldn't. Which is fine because he's not gonna be worth what someone will pay him.

It's far easier to sign your OL in FA, say one good young player and another for depth, then draft the QB with the top pick. Then your critical QB piece is affordable in comparison, has higher talent level, and is under contract for what, six years? Still room to draft one more OL piece as well, too.

From there if Sam renegotiates on a short term deal fine. If not, cut or trade him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Agreed which is why I think Mok meant the Raiders' GM would be laughing at Snead.

Back to the OP, I believe the Rams are a QB and OC away from being legit. No matter which QB they get he's not gonna be any good playing for Schotty; he'll be up and down week by week, stifled at one turn, looking great the next. Teasing us weekly.

Fish is gonna have to make a change this offseason to go with the drafting of a QB high. Plain and simple.
For it to even be an option, the Raiders would have to be enamored with Marriota or Winston.
Who knows what will happen to the Raiders staff and office.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Anyone laughing at Carr would be making a mistake.
The guy has the tools to be a very good qb.
Merlin's right, I think the Raiders would laugh at the proposition. Carr has showed he can play at this level while the hypothetical QB's in the draft have not. Who knows which one's will even declare? The Raiders have something to work with in Carr and actually have value with him. They'd be much better served to take the BPA or shop their high pick and gain some resources in the draft to keep building.

They, for the first time in a long time, don't need to start over at QB. Maybe Carr doesn't have the same ceiling as one of the guys in the draft but whatever small difference in potential that there is isn't worth the risk in figuring out which guy that might be. Of course, knowing the Raiders they'll fall in love with Winston, draft him 1st overall and NOT trade Carr thus causing a quagmire.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I don't think Snead would get laughed at if McKenzie is gone...depending on who is brought in.
I suppose anything's possible but it would really surprize me if a team gave up so quickly on such a promising looking QB. This isn't Matt McGloin having a little success and playing better than expected, Carr's a franchise type draft pick that fell in the draft that the Raiders did well to pick.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I really don't like any of the top qbs in this draft.... I'd rather get a free agent(who I don't know), redo Bradfords contract and say let the best man win. Everyone agrees we need O-line help so even though it's not considered exciting I want to see at least 2 drafted high. I really like our combo of Quick and Britt so I don't see WR as a big need. Call me crazy but I like Cook a lot just wish he was more consistent. I can't stand JL55 I mean I'd never have him as my profile pic! Not everyone can be Ray lewis and I like what JL55 brings to our team.

I agree that we should draft 2 O-lineman with 1st and 2 round. it's not a sexy pick but at least we'd be able to run,run,run the ball. I'm not in love with the BQ / KB combo but i'd run it for now. Cut SB contract by 70% and use the savings to bring in 1 or 2 FA's to compete. god, what a mess.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I have to agree with @Merlin - yes our QB position is dire, but I think it all stems from our OC, I'd like to see a change there to start with, we need to use the early rounds on interior linemen as others have suggested and we need to pick up a QB in R3 (do we still have a pick there?) and I think we need to go for a QB that can also make yards on the ground. Maybe look at the draft, see which QBs are out there, and try and poach that players OC/HC - Personally I'd put feelers out to Dana Holgorsen (WV) and take Trickett in the late rounds, but I'm also intrigued by Brandon Bridge and Dak Prescott too....

Philly5

Rookie
If 'Quality' equals winning we would be there with a healthy Bradford. Would still need consistency and a few pieces on OL and secondary to be a playoff team.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Next year we will be a winning team with a great defense and a poor offense no matter who is the QB. No SuperBowl unless we bring in an OC like Martz who knows how to score points.

It's 1998 all over again.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
a solid running game fix many things. We need to upgrade center and guard, as well as decent depth for the o line. We also need depth at linebacker. Then we need a reliable QB, and at that point, almost any young draft pick would look good behind a solid o line.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It's far easier to sign your OL in FA, say one good young player and another for depth, then draft the QB with the top pick. Then your critical QB piece is affordable in comparison, has higher talent level, and is under contract for what, six years? Still room to draft one more OL piece as well, too.

This theory only works if there is a QB worth drafting with your top pick. Just because we need one doesn't mean the ones available are worth drafting.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We need to upgrade center and guard, as well as decent depth for the o line. We also need depth at linebacker
My thoughts exactly!! We can pretty much devote our whole draft to the O-Line considering the depth we have on D!!!

Memphis Ram

Legend
I suppose anything's possible but it would really surprize me if a team gave up so quickly on such a promising looking QB. This isn't Matt McGloin having a little success and playing better than expected, Carr's a franchise type draft pick that fell in the draft that the Raiders did well to pick.

The Raiders are 0-9 with this promising QB.

If the losing continues, chances are pretty strong that the owner is going to clean house at GM and HC. New GMs/HCs typically want their guy. And if that guy isn't Carr and they have Winston or Mariota are rated higher to those guys, it's possible the organization could accept a such a deal and select their Newton one year after spending a second rounder on their Clausen.

Plus, the owner is probably going to have a say in this, too. Especially, if they can't get a blockbuster deal for their choice, one of these guys wins the National Championship, and he believes that Winston or Mariota can put butts in the seats.

The Rams could even throw in Zac Stacy if they had to do so.

Lots of IFs, but it could happen.

Last edited:

Big Game

Living The Dream
I agree with many of you, the QB situation has to be addressed in this up coming draft. And Bradford has to be brought back on a reconstructed contract.

But we also have holes on the O Line we need a couple guards and a center. On Defense we need Linebackers. I like what we have a safety now with Barron and TJ. Corners i'm ok with love Gaines and Tru Johnson. Still wonder about Jenkins just takes too many risks. Joyner is a solid tackler and will hopefully be a good pro.

I do believe Brian Quick can and will be our #1 WR . But I would also like to see us get new OC just don't think Shotty will change.

iced

7of9.jpg

No problem. Fully clothed. :)

not sure if there's any mortal kombat fans here but she was decent as sonya blade in mk:legacy

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Think most people believe Bradford should be brought back on a restructured contract... But how likely is it that he'd take a pay cut? There isn't much 'restructuring' you can do with so few years left that doesn't mean a pay cut.