MMQB: Are the Rams a Quarterback Away From Being a Quality Team?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramathon

Well everything has risks, yes that is true.

But the problem is there are no good FA quarterbacks on the market this year. The good ones rarely hit FA and this year in particular is terrible. FA is not an option IMO, for anything other than depth at that position.

Bradford, meanwhile, is good for depth too. But only if he restructures.

The only thing the Rams have going for them is the draft. It's their best hope, risks and all. Draft two for all I care and hope one pans out, I don't know. But they need to draft the position to get some hope. Wouldn't even surprise me to see them move up and take Mariota, for that matter, even if it takes a reverse RGIII trade to get it done. Rams need a QB that badly.

And I also pray they replace Schotty with someone who is a strong teacher of offensive football so we can see some consistent passing game production.

Comprende. And to a large degree, I tend to agree with you....esp re: the QB's who will be available on the FA market this year. Randy Karraker mentioned on The Fast Lane the other day that IF Bradford hits the FA market, he'll be the best QB available....in his opinion. I haven't looked at the entire list, but that was a bit surprising.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Just from research on him Mariota is pretty good

Here are Mariotta's stats for the year: 7 games, 132 of 188 (70.2%) for 1957 yards, 19 TD, and 0 INTs. He doesn't have the highest yards or TDs, but he does have the highest QB rating in all of college football. Every game this year he has thrown at least 2 TD passes.For his 3 year career, he has 8299 yards, 82 TDs, and 10 INTs. Very impressive, even in that high speed Oregon offense.

Again looking over body of work
Here's my opinion

The Good:-Very good athlete, runs well, very fast.-Makes good cuts, runs hard.-Makes good reads, can make guys miss and take a hit-Can create when the pocket breaks down-Strong enough arm, can get the ball down the field-Quick release, gets the ball out on screen plays quickly and effectively-Made some pretty good throws into traffic and over linebackers-Extremely impressive playmaker - made a few plays that made me say "wow!" out loud-Doesn't always scramble to run, will still try to find guys-Doesn't seem to take too many big shotsThe Bad:-Seems to get happy feet when pocket starts to break down-Will run around rather than climb pocket to make throws-Threw some players out of position even when they were wide open-Footwork definitely could use some work. Took a lot of missteps and hops around rather than being deliberate.-Everything is out of the gun. No idea how he'll fare at 5 and 7 step drops from under center-Tall, but a bit narrow - More RGIII than Kaepernick. Concerned with longevity in pro'sOther Notes:-System definitely helps him. Many of his best plays were to wide open guys. Not to say that's a bad thing, just doesn't tell us much on how he is throwing into traffic.-Often saved by skilled teammates - several teammates made circus catches to save the play when they were wide open or guys just making athletic plays to turn nothing into something-Doesn't always look like his eyes are down the field but somehow finds people late in the plays