MMQB: Are the Rams a Quarterback Away From Being a Quality Team?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
not sure if there's any mortal kombat fans here but she was decent as sonya blade in mk:legacy

Ah, Love me some Gerry Redding. I spent many an evening lusting after that Borg bitch. I kept imagining. That her pussy vibrated!

As for the QB situation. The Rams better get it figured out or they are fooked! Take Rodgers from Green Bay, Luck from Indy, Brady from the Cheatriots, etc.....and you have a bunch of average teams. A good QB is a must.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The Raiders are 0-9 with this promising QB.

If the losing continues, chances are pretty strong that the owner is going to clean house at GM and HC. New GMs/HCs typically want their guy. And if that guy isn't Carr and they have Winston or Mariota are rated higher to those guys, it's possible the organization could accept a such a deal and select their Newton one year after spending a second rounder on their Clausen.

Plus, the owner is probably going to have a say in this, too. Especially, if they can't get a blockbuster deal for their choice, one of these guys wins the National Championship, and he believes that Winston or Mariota can put butts in the seats.

The Rams could even throw in Zac Stacy if they had to do so.

Lots of IFs, but it could happen.
I agree that a new regime might want to clean house but I don't know that they'd do that with a potential franchise QB. Maybe I'm overvaluing Carr but pointing to the team's record to explain getting rid of him would mean the Colts would have dumped Peyton and the Cowboys would have dumped Aikman, etc.

Seeing how he's looked so far, if some team gets him for a 2nd I think it'd be a steal.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
My goodness. Resistance is futile :sneaky:(y)

And it would be foolish LOL.

Here is a different view. :whistle:

7-of-9-star-trek-voyager-3982394-800-600.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've got one, "Are the Broncos a 3rd string Quarterback Away From Being a Crappy Team?
Becasue, that's what happened in Indy

Memphis Ram

Legend
I agree that a new regime might want to clean house but I don't know that they'd do that with a potential franchise QB. Maybe I'm overvaluing Carr but pointing to the team's record to explain getting rid of him would mean the Colts would have dumped Peyton and the Cowboys would have dumped Aikman, etc.

Seeing how he's looked so far, if some team gets him for a 2nd I think it'd be a steal.

Pointing to the record only had to do with a potential regime change.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The Raiders are 0-9 with this promising QB.

If the losing continues, chances are pretty strong that the owner is going to clean house at GM and HC. New GMs/HCs typically want their guy. And if that guy isn't Carr and they have Winston or Mariota are rated higher to those guys, it's possible the organization could accept a such a deal and select their Newton one year after spending a second rounder on their Clausen.

Plus, the owner is probably going to have a say in this, too. Especially, if they can't get a blockbuster deal for their choice, one of these guys wins the National Championship, and he believes that Winston or Mariota can put butts in the seats.

The Rams could even throw in Zac Stacy if they had to do so.

Lots of IFs, but it could happen.

Yeah. I know it was just your mock draft. It's highly doubtful that it would ever happen, but its not impossible.
I wish you would have never put this thought in my head.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Ah, Love me some Gerry Redding. I spent many an evening lusting after that Borg bitch. I kept imagining. That her pussy vibrated!

As for the QB situation. The Rams better get it figured out or they are fooked! Take Rodgers from Green Bay, Luck from Indy, Brady from the Cheatriots, etc.....and you have a bunch of average teams. A good QB is a must.
Jeri Ryan

Ramathon

Here's the reality brother... The FA quarterbacks are terrible. Best one will end up being Sanchez, who has already underwhelmed greatly in the Schotty offense. Why he would want to be coached by Schotty again, well, he almost surely wouldn't. Which is fine because he's not gonna be worth what someone will pay him.

It's far easier to sign your OL in FA, say one good young player and another for depth, then draft the QB with the top pick. Then your critical QB piece is affordable in comparison, has higher talent level, and is under contract for what, six years? Still room to draft one more OL piece as well, too.

From there if Sam renegotiates on a short term deal fine. If not, cut or trade him.

Some more 'reality'...there is absolutely nothing certain about drafting a QB with a top pick. See Sam Bradford. See Ryan Leaf. See.....a LONG list of top QB picks who have been busts.

And IMO, Bradford can only be considered a 'bust' as a result of an inability to stay healthy. The talent is there for him to be a good, but probably not great, starting NFL QB.

Your proposed approach is just one more possibility with it's own inherent risks.

Athos

Legend
Agreed which is why I think Mok meant the Raiders' GM would be laughing at Snead.

Back to the OP, I believe the Rams are a QB and OC away from being legit. No matter which QB they get he's not gonna be any good playing for Schotty; he'll be up and down week by week, stifled at one turn, looking great the next. Teasing us weekly.

Fish is gonna have to make a change this offseason to go with the drafting of a QB high. Plain and simple.

Yep. Draft a new QB (Hundley, as he's the only real option for me atm) and sit him a year to learn the playbook of a new OC. Bring him in in 2016 afterhaving surrounded him with weapons.

Big Willie

Starter
A young QB on a young team is a recipe for more inconsistency. We need a veteran who has had success and who may just need a change of location. Is there a free agent or a tradeable player who might fit the bill? (Ala Carson Palmer) The only names I see that I would consider are Matt Schaub and Eli Manning. Both would require a trade. Schaub could probably be had for a 3rd round draft choice (which is a bit steep for me) and Manning would probably require a 2nd next year and a conditional one in 2016. Or, the other option is to roll the dice with Bradford for another year. I do not like Foles, Sanchez, or any of the 2016 UFAs - except for Rivers and Rothlesburger) http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback

Positives to Eli: He stays healthy. Eli has won a Championship. Eli has played in a run heavy system before and thrived. Eli makes quick decisions. Negatives: Eli throws a lot of interceptions. Eli looks terrible at times.

I think the idea of drafting a young player and plugging him in spells disaster in 2015. For me, Sam gets another year, or we need to acquire a better veteran than Shawn Hill and draft a developmental QB. Eli would be my choice as the 2-3 year stopgap QB.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Schaub is done. Injuries have taken their toll on him. And even at 34 years old, there's no way the Giants let Manning go minus at least a 1st round pick (if at all).

But, I agree that it's doubtful that Jeff Fisher ties his wagon to a rookie QB entering year four in St. Louis.

Athos

Legend
But, I agree that it's doubtful that Jeff Fisher ties his wagon to a rookie QB entering year four in St. Louis.

I don't think he'd want to, but the reality is and probably is, if we have a shot at Mariota or Hundley, the decision is going to be made FOR Fisher. Can't rely on Sam. Davis doesn't look like the future. Hill isn't. There isn't anything out there to trade for to use as a stop-gap really. There's no QB from what I can see that's worth it to target in 2016.

Telling the fanbase to wait until 2017 to hopefully maybe get a new franchise QB or even just an average one, is gonna be a tough sell.

Rams all but have to draft a QB next year to let sit and develop. And there's only 2, maybe 3, I'd take that chance on personally.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Some more 'reality'...there is absolutely nothing certain about drafting a QB with a top pick. See Sam Bradford. See Ryan Leaf. See.....a LONG list of top QB picks who have been busts.

And IMO, Bradford can only be considered a 'bust' as a result of an inability to stay healthy. The talent is there for him to be a good, but probably not great, starting NFL QB.

Your proposed approach is just one more possibility with it's own inherent risks.

Well everything has risks, yes that is true.

But the problem is there are no good FA quarterbacks on the market this year. The good ones rarely hit FA and this year in particular is terrible. FA is not an option IMO, for anything other than depth at that position.

Bradford, meanwhile, is good for depth too. But only if he restructures.

The only thing the Rams have going for them is the draft. It's their best hope, risks and all. Draft two for all I care and hope one pans out, I don't know. But they need to draft the position to get some hope. Wouldn't even surprise me to see them move up and take Mariota, for that matter, even if it takes a reverse RGIII trade to get it done. Rams need a QB that badly.

And I also pray they replace Schotty with someone who is a strong teacher of offensive football so we can see some consistent passing game production.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Yep. Draft a new QB (Hundley, as he's the only real option for me atm) and sit him a year to learn the playbook of a new OC. Bring him in in 2016 afterhaving surrounded him with weapons.
I think your plan sounds reasonable but only in a vacuum. It's a plan that appears to be planning for the future but the reality is, if Hundley is taken, sits behind Quarterback "X" to develop...what happens?

A) Quarterback "X" plays poorly enough that Hundley needs to be inserted into the lineup. But is this regime going to withstand another poor year? I don't think it will. In that case, you've got a new coach/GM/OC, whatever being brought in and he has to take on Hundley who may or may not be right for what's being brought in.

B) Quarterback "X" plays well and the team has success so the regime stays in tact. Why would that regime then replace their hypothetical QB with an unproven rookie who hasn't played?

Not to mention the learning curve with a new QB.

I think the best approach is to draft the BPA to make the overall team better. Go for an impact guy who can play right away. I don't think there's any more time for projects. The 3 year "payoff" for Quick for example wasn't worth the wait. Take a guy who can contribute(and stay healthy) over a guy who may or may not turn into a superstar. Taking this approach will rely on Bradford coming back but as slowly as this offense seems to be picked up by players, starting over at QB isn't a recipe for success in 2015.

And it boils down to that IMO. What do they do in 2015? If it's another 5-11 to 7-9 year, I think it's time for a change in 2016. I don't want any built in excuses like starting a rookie QB that gives them a mulligan year. QB injuries are GOING to happen. This regime has not overcome them and maybe that will be their undoing. I'm not against having a 3rd through 6th round guy waiting in wings like some of the successful teams seem to often do, but burning a 1st rounder on a QB for the 2015 Rams doesn't seem like planning for the future to me.

Athos

Legend
And it boils down to that IMO. What do they do in 2015? If it's another 5-11 to 7-9 year, I think it's time for a change in 2016. I don't want any built in excuses like starting a rookie QB that gives them a mulligan year. QB injuries are GOING to happen. This regime has not overcome them and maybe that will be their undoing. I'm not against having a 3rd through 6th round guy waiting in wings like some of the successful teams seem to often do, but burning a 1st rounder on a QB for the 2015 Rams doesn't seem like planning for the future to me.

The plan would be to bring Sam back at a very reduced price (if healthy, for a playoff run), bring back Davis, or some other VET game manager, and draft Mariota (the preference) or trade down and get Hundley (who I'm coming around on quickly as having all the skills to get a successful QB in this league).

This just isn't a deep QB class imo. And 2016 looks even worse right now. Again, are we supposed to wait until 2017 to get a new QB in here?

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't think he'd want to, but the reality is and probably is, if we have a shot at Mariota or Hundley, the decision is going to be made FOR Fisher. Can't rely on Sam. Davis doesn't look like the future. Hill isn't. There isn't anything out there to trade for to use as a stop-gap really. There's no QB from what I can see that's worth it to target in 2016.

Telling the fanbase to wait until 2017 to hopefully maybe get a new franchise QB or even just an average one, is gonna be a tough sell.

Rams all but have to draft a QB next year to let sit and develop. And there's only 2, maybe 3, I'd take that chance on personally.

I agree that the team all but has to draft a QB next year, but I disagree that said player has to be a 1st rounder whether that be Mariota or Hundley.