MMQB: Are the Rams a Quarterback Away From Being a Quality Team?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/13/nfl-week-11-settle-this-greg-bedard-st-louis-rams-quarterback/

rams-storyimage-960.jpg

Scott Kane/AP

Are the Rams a Quarterback Away From Being a Quality Team?
The all-knowing “Wet Blanket of Reason” tackles that question.
By Greg A. Bedard

#SettleThis: Are Rams really a quarterback away from being a quality team? Heard it several times, but what does the film say?
— Lucas Bruton, ‏@LukeBrute

We first need to define “quality team.” I’ll say that means a winning team, which they haven’t been since 2003, although they’ve been close several times. The short answer, Lucas, is yes, because I like their defense and some of their offensive pieces. But I don’t think getting consistent quarterback play means they’ll suddenly rise to the top of the NFC West.

Consistent quality play from the quarterback position is the Rams’ biggest missing puzzle piece. How do they get that? They can’t just keep the status quo. Like I said in March about the Bengals, “If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results, then the Bengals are certifiable when it comes to quarterback Andy Dalton.”

If the Rams put all their eggs in the Sam Bradford basket again, then they’re crazy and everyone should be fired. I still think Bradford can be a good pro, but the Rams have to throw multiple options at the quarterback position and sort it out later.

The new rookie contracts mandate that, and it’s borderline criminal that the Rams haven’t invested in a quarterback—at least someone to develop—since taking Bradford in 2010 (2014 sixth-rounder Garrett Gilbert was cut from the practice squad a few weeks ago). The starter since Bradford went on IR, Austin Davis has certainly made some plays, but he is not an NFL starting quarterback unless he develops significantly; he does not see the field well enough. Shaun Hill is a solid backup.

After two ACL surgeries, Bradford can be brought back but not at his $16.6 million salary cap number. He should return under a reduced, incentive-laden deal. If he balks at that, the Rams should just move on. Even if Bradford returns the team still needs a franchise quarterback for the future, and they need to draft one high. If both Bradford and the draft prospect develop, one can be traded down the line. That’s a problem the Rams need to get themselves into.

But there’s still other work to be done. The interior of the offensive line needs to be revamped, specifically left guard Davin Joseph and center Scott Wells. The Rams will have to make a decision on tackle Jake Long; moving on from him would save $8 million against the cap.

The Rams also need to find a legit No. 1 receiver and a consistent weapon at tight end (Jared Cook has played better this year but hasn’t maximized his physical talent). I like Tre Mason at running back; Tavon Austin has been used better this season, and the Rams have solid receivers.

Defensively, coordinator Gregg Williams could really use a more dynamic middle linebacker than James Laurinaitis. I don’t care about tackle numbers; he’s average against the run and poor against the pass. I’m sure Laurinaitis will stick around since his cap number drops from $9.65 million to $4.275 million and you can certainly win with him, but the Rams can do better. Linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar needs to be replaced. Other than that, I like the pieces the Rams have on defense and Williams knows how to make them work.

So, Lucas, I believe the Rams have most of the important pieces needed and are just lacking a competent quarterback who can make them a quality, winning team. But taking that next step is easier said than done. They just can’t wait for Bradford to get healthy again.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A healthy protected Bradford would be ideal. Barring that what veteran might be available? If you go high draft pick do we just throw him into the fire and hope for the best? A lot of catch-22 stuff in the mix.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My answer?
Yes.
In fact, I really believe that a healthy Bradford would have us at 5-4 or better with a potential for 10 wins.

I disagree with his assessment of Laurinaitis.
He has certainly had a challenging season with learning Williams Defense and overcoming injury, causing him to play even slower.
His intelligence and leadership are a necessity for a defense this young, imo.
Not every player has to be an athletic freak like Ogletree, Quinn, Donald and Jenkins. There is always room for a smart guy like JL55.

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
I really don't like any of the top qbs in this draft.... I'd rather get a free agent(who I don't know), redo Bradfords contract and say let the best man win. Everyone agrees we need O-line help so even though it's not considered exciting I want to see at least 2 drafted high. I really like our combo of Quick and Britt so I don't see WR as a big need. Call me crazy but I like Cook a lot just wish he was more consistent. I can't stand JL55 I mean I'd never have him as my profile pic! Not everyone can be Ray lewis and I like what JL55 brings to our team.

I think we're lacking a number of pieces on O, we don't have anyone special at receiver (now Quick is out, and who knows with him, we're basing it off 2 good games in 3 years), we have an awful interior OL with only 1 starting quality player and 2 guys who I really don't want to see on this team next year.

Our D has cost us a number of games this year, they can't defend the pass to save their life and go where Quinn and Donald takes them.

All of that said with a quality QB we could very well be a "lose first round of the playoffs" team anything more would require an amazing coaching job, and we simply don't have one.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Are the Rams a Quarterback Away From Being a Quality Team?
In a word...yes.

I still think Bradford can be a good pro, but the Rams have to throw multiple options at the quarterback position and sort it out later.
This is hopefully the plan.

After two ACL surgeries, Bradford can be brought back but not at his $16.6 million salary cap number. He should return under a reduced, incentive-laden deal. If he balks at that, the Rams should just move on
Agreed. I still say that Sam has little to no leverage here. By the time free agency opens in the spring he will still still be hard at work re-habbing his knee for a second straight season. He will have very little value on the open market IMO. Sam would be wise to stay here, take a paycut and rehabilitate his reputation around the league as an average QB who can't stay healthy.

But there’s still other work to be done. The interior of the offensive line needs to be revamped, specifically left guard Davin Joseph and center Scott Wells. The Rams will have to make a decision on tackle Jake Long; moving on from him would save $8 million against the cap.
This is true but we're set at the Tackle positions as long as we re-sign Barksdale. Saffold isn't going anywhere. Maybe Jones or Barnes can step up and play with another off-season. These two, plus Free agency/draft should be able to provide us with an answer at Center/Guard. I'm not too concerned. I'd prefer another veteran at Center btw. One who isn't damaged goods.

The Rams also need to find a legit No. 1 receiver and a consistent weapon at tight end (Jared Cook has played better this year but hasn’t maximized his physical talent). I like Tre Mason at running back; Tavon Austin has been used better this season, and the Rams have solid receivers
Disagree. The weapons are here for the most part. Cook catches too much shit. Call him inconsistent if you want...who on this offense over the last several years hasn't been inconsistent? He is a pass catching TE who can change a game on one play and move the chains. I like our WR's, RB's. TE's.
T.Austin is the only offensive player of note that i'm concerned about in terms of production.

We need a QB.

Irish

Starter
The Rams are a QB away from being a "quality team".

The Rams are a guard, center, MLB, CB, FS, DE and QB away from being a superbowl contender

Athos

Legend
Well.........

I'd add we're a QB, OG, C, and maybe even another WR from being a quality, SB contender. Minus the WR, a quality team.

But QB, OG, and C are pretty big holes right now that will hopefully be addressed in FA and the draft. If draft, the sooner the better.

ram007

Starter
Rams need depth at every position except DL. Another draft will fix the depth issue. But can the Rams find their QBOF?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I still think Bradford can be a good pro, but the Rams have to throw multiple options at the quarterback position and sort it out later.
This is basically my solution summed up in one neat sentence.

lockdnram21

Legend
Yes we are but Bradford isn't the answer imo . Don't know if we can fix it this off season don't see any good options in free agency. Hoping for a Winston or Mariota

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Honestly, look at teams that have recently had young successful QBs and this team fits the mold. Dalton, Wilson, Kaepernick, Newton even Sanchez his first few seasons. All had stability in the coaching staff, a very tough defense and solid running game.

This team has all of the above. Now Jacksonville, Tennessee, Oakland, Minnesota have not had the same luxuries and they've seen rookies get bounced out of town. It's not exactly a scientific measure by any means, but I do think the Rams could succeed with a rookie under center.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
It would be great to see what all this young talent that has been assembled over these last 3+ years can do with a good Qb leading them.And Imo something has to be done now before we start losing some of that talent to free agency.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I like Memphis Rams idea of seeing if there Raiders would take our second for Carr.