Mmmmmmm. Beer.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Right now my favourite beer is: Peroni

Damn good!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've heard of Twisted Snout. Who is your UK distributor?
You may have heard of it here. We are a very small brewery in Oregon and we self distribute throughout Oregon only. In the future? Who knows.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Vermont has some of the best micro-breweries in the world and that's mostly what I drink. My two favorites are a couple of unfiltered dark ales: Switchback and Shed Mountain Ale.

I like a lighter beer in the summer and the wife and I will usually go for a Corona or a Blue Moon Belgium White.

Last edited:

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
OK - NOW we're talking my language.

www.TwistedSnout.com Just sayin' :D I own the brewery so I may be just a tad bit biased. But we make traditional styles. We have 12 of ours on tap and each one is pretty much a different style.

As far as other beers (I like a lot of them), some of the NW IPAs are pretty damn good. Sam Adams? meh I love a Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter, Watney's Red Barrel, Guinness of all sorts (including Harp Lager), Spaten Weisse, Pacifico, Tooth Sheaf Stout, to name but a few.

:eek: Ill have to try your stuff. Who sells it in CA?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
:eek: Ill have to try your stuff. Who sells it in CA?
Only available right now in Oregon - though my uncle says he wants to bring it down there through a couple of his distributor buddies. We'll see.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Only available right now in Oregon - though my uncle says he wants to bring it down there through a couple of his distributor buddies. We'll see.

I think you should find a way to distribute a sampler pack to Bonita Springs Florida Mr. I don't have a distributor.

Or make sure you pack some when you come here next season for the Bucs game.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame

Damn, well please be sure to let me know once you guys start distribution down here. :D

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
@ Les - I will try but not sure how that can work in today's baggage screening system.

@ LAR - Don't you live in SLO? My memory can suck sometimes. If you are the one I'm thinking of, it's too bad we didn't have this conversation before Christmas. I had 3 kegs of our beer at my parents' house in Atascadero while we were down there. Blew through the Wilbur's White Wheat and had a little left of the other two that blew when we got to Chico where my wife's mom lives. Next time I'm down there though....

Sum1

Hall of Fame
My beer tastes have really grown in the past 3 or 4 years. I've become kind of a beer snob.

Growing up in St.Louis it is engrained that Bud Light is THE beer. In college I worked for a Coors distributor and learned to love that. Now? I'd prefer to never drink an American light lager again (and the Bud Lights, Coors Lights, Miller Lites, and all others in between taste enough alike that when I hear people argue over which is better I find it so laughable...think "Pepsi vs Coke".) The only exception, if you can call it that, to the American lager beer is I do enjoy a Yeungling when I can find one!

I really like New Castle Brown Ale...love trying any IPA...and I love trying new microbrews. There is a local microbrewery called 4 Hands that has an awesome Chocolate Milk Stout. I also really like the Schlafly Coffee Stout (another St.Louis Brewery).

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Stu- I recently bought a homebrewing book and am looking to get into it as a hobby. A few of my friends are looking to do the same and collectively kind of have this "Pie in the sky" idea that maybe if we get good enough we can one day have our own brewery (mind you, none of us have even a clue what the hell we are doing yet o_O.

Any tips?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm pretty simple.

Blue Moon, Samuel Adams, and good ole Bud Light are my choices. I'm not a big drinker...hell I go months w/o drinking. But when I do, those 3 are my picks. Yeah, I stole Dos Equis slogan. Suck it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Man.... All these people drinking Blue Moon. There are SO many better wheat beers out there and if I might be a bit of a beer snob for a sec.... it's a Coors product - not a micro. That above all else is why you see it everywhere. They have Coors' distribution chain. And Coors is no longer American - just like all the other big guys. I'm not saying you have to buy an American beer or a Micro but for pete's sake, try some other wheat beers if you like Blue Moon. Maybe it's just me but there is a chemical taste to that shit that I simply can't get past. OK - Rant over.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Stu- I recently bought a homebrewing book and am looking to get into it as a hobby. A few of my friends are looking to do the same and collectively kind of have this "Pie in the sky" idea that maybe if we get good enough we can one day have our own brewery (mind you, none of us have even a clue what the hell we are doing yet o_O.

Any tips?
Which book did you buy?

I started with extracts like most others. But the best advice I can give to you is to go all grain. It costs a bit more to get started and the equipment is larger but the beer is WAY better and you have a much better range of flavor profiles you can achieve. Also - use a good yeast strain. I use mostly Safale US-05 out of Belgium. It is one of the few dry yeasts I have tried that doesn't taste like bread dough. Otherwise, there are many liquid yeasts to choose from.

There are lots of clone recipes on the internet so if there is a beer you really like, you can try to replicate it. Another thing is to try making beers with only one type of hop at first. That way you can actually tell what flavors you are getting out of those hops.

The brewery industry - at least around here - is like no other. I can call up practically any brewery I know of and set up a time to pick the brewer's brain. Brewers generally love to talk beer and they know that they could give you their exact recipe and it would still come out different in your brew house. My other best advice is to take a couple brewery tours - micros are the way to go there. Then when you get the chance, try to ask how the brewer got started and go from there. Most of them will open up and you can get any info you are curious about at that point.

And of course, anytime you have a question when you want to actually start brewing, you can PM me.

Good luck and Cheers man.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Which book did you buy?

I started with extracts like most others. But the best advice I can give to you is to go all grain. It costs a bit more to get started and the equipment is larger but the beer is WAY better and you have a much better range of flavor profiles you can achieve. Also - use a good yeast strain. I use mostly Safale US-05 out of Belgium. It is one of the few dry yeasts I have tried that doesn't taste like bread dough. Otherwise, there are many liquid yeasts to choose from.

There are lots of clone recipes on the internet so if there is a beer you really like, you can try to replicate it. Another thing is to try making beers with only one type of hop at first. That way you can actually tell what flavors you are getting out of those hops.

The brewery industry - at least around here - is like no other. I can call up practically any brewery I know of and set up a time to pick the brewer's brain. Brewers generally love to talk beer and they know that they could give you their exact recipe and it would still come out different in your brew house. My other best advice is to take a couple brewery tours - micros are the way to go there. Then when you get the chance, try to ask how the brewer got started and go from there. Most of them will open up and you can get any info you are curious about at that point.

And of course, anytime you have a question when you want to actually start brewing, you can PM me.

Good luck and Cheers man.
Thanks for the info!

The book is "The Complete Joy of Homebreweing" by Charlie Papazian It seemed to be recommended by a lot of folks on the interwebs.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thanks for the info!

The book is "The Complete Joy of Homebreweing" by Charlie Papazian It seemed to be recommended by a lot of folks on the interwebs.

Good book. There are definitely some tips to glean. Here's a dynamite site that I still refer to from time to time - http://www.howtobrew.com/ I like the way it is laid out and you can get to the info you're after very quickly.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Man.... All these people drinking Blue Moon. There are SO many better wheat beers out there and if I might be a bit of a beer snob for a sec.... it's a Coors product - not a micro. That above all else is why you see it everywhere. They have Coors' distribution chain. And Coors is no longer American - just like all the other big guys. I'm not saying you have to buy an American beer or a Micro but for pete's sake, try some other wheat beers if you like Blue Moon. Maybe it's just me but there is a chemical taste to that shit that I simply can't get past. OK - Rant over.

A little beer snobbery is probably a desirable trait in a brew master.

Didn't think Blue Moon was a micro-brew but wasn't aware it was a Coors product. It's just one of the lighter beers I like in the summer. Always open to recommendations and would be interested in other wheat beers you've tried and liked.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A little beer snobbery is probably a desirable trait in a brew master.

Didn't think Blue Moon was a micro-brew but wasn't aware it was a Coors product. It's just one of the lighter beers I like in the summer. Always open to recommendations and would be interested in other wheat beers you've tried and liked.

There are so many of them. Just try some of the true craft beers out there. For imports, I love a Paulaner (sp?) or a Spaten. The problem with craft beers is that so many of the ones we have available out here aren't available out east or in the Midwest or in CA even. If you can get Fort George, their wheat is extremely similar to ours. Widmer is very American for a wheat but it is still pretty good. Sierra Nevada makes a great wheat beer.

There are different styles. For the most part, I like Bavarian wheats. They tend to have somewhat of a banana nose with a hint of clove. American Hefeweizens tend to be very mild. I know most people like American Hefs with lemon - but try a slice of orange instead. Bavarian wheats IMO should have a slice of lemon to go with them because the acid and smell of the lemon sets off some of the flavors in the beer and tones down the "banana" esters.

My point is that if you like Blue Moon - try some others. You might be amazed.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Well I've only had it once and many people recommended it...it was good, nothing to go wild about.