Mmmmmmm. Beer.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
lol its a little baileys mixed with whiskey, and then chugged with guinness. The baileys just makes it taste much better. Im not a fan of Jaeger, not a fan of black liquorish. If its such a vagina drink, why would it give you a hangover from just watching someone drink it? :sneaky:

To each there own i suppose. You can have your eurobombs!!!!!!

Seems too sweet with the Baileys. I'm a huge black licorice fan so I can see why I would like the Jaeger and you wouldn't. In fact, we are working up a couple of licorice beers right now. As you said - to each his own.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Seems too sweet with the Baileys. I'm a huge black licorice fan so I can see why I would like the Jaeger and you wouldn't. In fact, we are working up a couple of licorice beers right now. As you said - to each his own.

It really isnt that sweet when mixed with whiskey and half a glass of guinness. Just adds a tiny chocolate/coffee taste at the end of the shot. But I guess I could see how it might be to sweet for some. I know many who can't stand any sweetness in alcohol like that.

The licorice beer sounds interesting, might have to try it someday.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If I'm drinking anything with a black licorice taste it's sambuca, not jaeger.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But I learned something on a dive trip to the Bahamas and that was to never try to match drink for drink with a Brit.
I studied in France for a year way back when and got involved with the locals in a drinking contest. Their poison of choice was a TGV, named after the local high-speed train because it knocks you out pretty quickly. It's a shot each of tequila, gin and vodka, mixed together in a tall glass and drunk cruda style (with salt and lemon). Four of us started the challenge: one passed out after five of these, another eight and my last rival ten. I finished my eleventh TGV, so that made 33 shots in total, and won the competition. My prize? A bottle of mezcal!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
th
th
rainier_beer.jpg

grease

I like most every style except belgian ales. Pilsener Urquell and Krombacher are my favorites if mild outside. Winter I like stouts of which Guinness is hard to beat. Summer when recovering from the heat I crave a Budweiser or Balboa or a Waikato. For me the best beer is the one in hand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I studied in France for a year way back when and got involved with the locals in a drinking contest. Their poison of choice was a TGV, named after the local high-speed train because it knocks you out pretty quickly. It's a shot each of tequila, gin and vodka, mixed together in a tall glass and drunk cruda style (with salt and lemon). Four of us started the challenge: one passed out after five of these, another eight and my last rival ten. I finished my eleventh TGV, so that made 33 shots in total, and won the competition. My prize? A bottle of mezcal!

I would have asked for a dialysis session in lieu of the mezcal.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
image.jpg
Now this is good. I don't really go for American IPAs but this has both balance and structure.

Any of you guys familiar with the brewers?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
View attachment 1271
Now this is good. I don't really go for American IPAs but this has both balance and structure.

Any of you guys familiar with the brewers?

Interesting. That is a joint effort and a session style ale at that. I'm not familiar with the particular brewers but in case you were wondering - I thought I'd give you a little info about the style. Sorry - I'm both a brewer and a beer geek.

Most American IPAs come in at the 5.8% - 7.5% ABV range. A session style generally comes in between 3.5% and 5%. We call ours the barkeepers friend. The point behind the beer is to produce a very full flavored beer that doesn't get you wasted after a pint or three. This is a beer style that is gaining popularity here but originated in Europe. It's the barkeepers friend because at under 5%, the bartender can serve a normal flow of beer to a patron and not worry too much about the person getting blotto and becoming a problem. It may not seem like all that much but an extra 1 - 2% alcohol can hit you much harder and builds up in your system much more during a normal drinking session - like while watching a game.

Brewers love the style because honestly, there are just way fewer ingredients overall. Not only is there less malted grain (the sugar source that the yeast eats to produce alcohol) but it takes a lot of hops to power through high malt content beers and it takes less yeast to eat the sugars in a session style. The other cool thing is that you can really play with your hops to get both big and subtle flavors out of them.

Cheers.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Interesting stuff, RF503.

I've always found American IPAs both more hopped and less weighted than their Old World counterparts; this beer seems to strike a much more balanced (dare I say "European"?) feel to it. It lacks the complexity of something like Thornbridge's Jaipur (to many, the quintessential IPA) but it's a wonderful version of the style all the same.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Interesting stuff, RF503.

I've always found American IPAs both more hopped and less weighted than their Old World counterparts; this beer seems to strike a much more balanced (dare I say "European"?) feel to it. It lacks the complexity of something like Thornbridge's Jaipur (to many, the quintessential IPA) but it's a wonderful version of the style all the same.

Very much so Flip. American IPAs are not true to historical style. They are more like an IPA on steroids. Original IPAs had just a slightly higher alcohol content than a normal beer or ale and more hops in the bitter AND at the end. Hops are a natural preservative as well as the "spice or herb" to beer. Alcohol also acts as a preservative to an extent. The idea was to have a beer that would simply last the long ocean voyages without getting stale. So the original IPAs (I believe) had an ABV of around 5.5% or so and moderate IBUs (hoppiness) compared to today's American standards.

Our IPA is a bit more traditional. It comes in at 6% ABV. We mash at a higher temperature than most so it produces more non-fermentable sugars - thus a more malt forward body. Our IBUs are still very high but the maltiness of the beer tends to balance them out more.

Again - Sorry if I'm boring you but I find beer and beer styles very interesting. There is literally no end to the styles and flavors you can get out of beer.

Right now we are experimenting with a licorice ale. It is a light bodied beer similar to a German lager but we added fennel to the mash and Star anise and wildflower honey to the end of the boil. I am a huge black licorice fan and this one should be very fun. It might end up tasting like shit but that is the chance you take when you experiment with new styles and flavors.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Sounds like good stuff, RF. Don't worry: talking about beer never bores me. I'm a member of CAMRA and love to try different ales of all kinds. If I ever get to the States, I'll pay you a visit!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sounds like good stuff, RF. Don't worry: talking about beer never bores me. I'm a member of CAMRA and love to try different ales of all kinds. If I ever get to the States, I'll pay you a visit!
Sounds good man. Hmmmm wonder if I could write off going to one of your CAMRA beer festivals. Might be a bit of a stretch.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
If you do, make sure it's the GBBF (Great British Beer Festival) in early August. Not only are the beers fantastic, it's a real eye-opener in terms of people watching!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If you do, make sure it's the GBBF (Great British Beer Festival) in early August. Not only are the beers fantastic, it's a real eye-opener in terms of people watching!
I'll keep that in mind. I like watching people.
upload_2014-2-24_11-46-47.jpeg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sadly, most CAMRA members look more like this:

View attachment 1277
Bummer. Then maybe you need to come out to one of our festivals. Here's a quick shot of some of the Oregon Brewer's Festival goers. Only they are wearing more than many I see there. It's one of the largest in the States.