Matthews Is Still The Guy For Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
To use an analogy, IMO, Jake Matthews = Chris Long, while Greg Robinson = Robert Quinn. Both are very good players, but I believe that Robinson could be special (and a better fit).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To use an analogy, IMO, Jake Matthews = Chris Long, while Greg Robinson = Robert Quinn. Both are very good players, but I believe that Robinson could be special (and a better fit).

And yet there are plenty of examples to the contrary where the perceived lower upside guy became a top player while the high upside guy didn't.

I think we all understand where you're coming from on this. I, for one, just don't agree. I think Jake Matthews has the ability to be an elite OT in the NFL.

duckhunter

Starter

There's every snap vs. Missouri. I simply just can't find the plays you are talking about here. The only one close is where he blocked down on the QB strip play where the guard was supposed to get Ealy. Look again, that's not Robinson being run around. It's #62 Guard Chris Slade.

As far as the point regarding Robinson needing work in pass protection (Pace did too, btw). No one has said otherwise about his his lack of experience there. All I stated was that he looks like he has the feet to do it.

As far as 2012, the former high school guard was playing LT for the first time. He couldn't have improved during his redshirt sophomore season? Obviously, the NFL personnel people believe so. And how much of the issues were on Robinson anyway? For example, the Browns gave up 49 sacks last year (3rd worst in the NFL) with Joe Thomas at LT and Alex Mack at center.

Rather than discuss specific tape with you this minute, here's a link concerning a conversation between Boo and Robinson. About a qtr down the page. As far as I'm concerned the decision is in proper hands. I can understand why (1) Robinson is coming out early with his family and (2) probably won't get as many reps to improve his pass pro next year at auburn with the new triple option run offense. I'm fine with that.

At some point this week, I will make time to go over the entire game.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...le-greg-robinson-was-solid-at-the-nfl-combine

Memphis Ram

Legend
And yet there are plenty of examples to the contrary where the perceived lower upside guy became a top player while the high upside guy didn't.

I think we all understand where you're coming from on this. I, for one, just don't agree. I think Jake Matthews has the ability to be an elite OT in the NFL.

Sure. And I can understand that their may be other examples of what you state. And I might have even agreed that the so-called lower upside guys would being better than the higher upside types (that is if I agreed they had a lower upside in the first place). But, I'm not talking about the others. Here, I'm just giving my take on Matthews and Robinson.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure. And I can understand that their may be other examples of what you state. And I might have even agreed that the so-called lower upside guys would being better than the higher upside types (that is if I agreed they had a lower upside in the first place). But, I'm not talking about the others. Here, I'm just giving my take on Matthews and Robinson.

I understand. I'm just saying that I don't think the analogies will really change anyone's minds...I think we understand each other's respective stances. We'll certainly see who the Rams will draft and there will no doubt be plenty of discussion about it over the next two and a half months. Have a great week!