Matthews Is Still The Guy For Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
After watching the combine today and listening to all the commentary Matthews is still my choice for the Rams first, first round pick.

Every thing about him says professional, he is a guy that will play in the league for 10 years and be and every down guy protecting the backside of your QB. Good enough to push Long to the right side to finish his career and has also played the right side so if that is the way the Rams choose to go it is not completely foreign.

Fisher has seen this kid grow up, has known him and his family since he was 2 years old. I think that goes a long way toward dispelling the Fisher doesn't arguments.

Robinson and Lewan both look good too but when it comes to the bottom line Matthews is the guy who can play and make a difference in 2014.

There are some other OL guys that were impressive too, I like Gabe Jackson at Guard. Really wish the center from SC had been able to go even if we don't need a center he could be a good piece to help rebuild the weakest group on the team.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Matthews is the guy for me as well, looked amazing today in every drill they did that I saw.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't see many scenarios that I'd be upset with at that 2nd pick...Matthews, Watkins, Robinson, Clowney, trade down...I'm OK with any of those.

jjab360

Legend
Snead's M.O. is upside, has been since day one. Greg Robinson has more upside than any other O-lineman in recent memory, and he has a pretty good floor to start from dominating the SEC the way he did. Snead keeps mentioning how his goal is to get two HOFers with those first round picks, I think it's pretty clear which guy has more potential to make it between the two.

Also, doubt Matthews' last name has that much impact here at the top of the draft. As an UDFA, sure, you give a kid a flier cause you knew his dad but that's not a factor for taking him in the top 5.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If I HAD to choose an offensive lineman with the first pick, I'd go with Matthews too. From everything I heard, Robinson might end up better... but he might end up a bust too.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really impressed more with the OL running and 40 times/ 10 yard splits than the TE. These guys are just crazy fast this year. Great explosion. And they are all over 300 lbs!! Talk about getting run over by a truck! YIKES :eek:

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I don't see many scenarios that I'd be upset with at that 2nd pick...Matthews, Watkins, Robinson, Clowney, trade down...I'm OK with any of those.

Completely agree. It's a good year to have the second pick.

jjab360

Legend
If I HAD to choose an offensive lineman with the first pick, I'd go with Matthews too. From everything I heard, Robinson might end up better... but he might end up a bust too.
I am going to go on record and say there's NO WAY this kid ends up a bust, same as Jake Matthews. Obviously that excludes injuries or off the field issues, but I don't see any way either one of these guys is going to flat out fail in this league. They might not live up to their potential or become the pro bowl players they're capable of being, but there's too much talent for them not to work out. Also, unlike QBs or WRs, O-linemen can't really bust due to factors outside of their control. QBs depend on their O-line to block and WRs to make the catch, WRs depend on the O-line to block for the QB and the QB to make the throw, the only job an Olineman has is to beat the man in front of him. As long as they can do that, they'll be fine, and both of these guys can do that, imo.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I am going to go on record and say there's NO WAY this kid ends up a bust, same as Jake Matthews. Obviously that excludes injuries or off the field issues, but I don't see any way either one of these guys is going to flat out fail in this league. They might not live up to their potential or become the pro bowl players they're capable of being, but there's too much talent for them not to work out. Also, unlike QBs or WRs, O-linemen can't really bust due to factors outside of their control. QBs depend on their O-line to block and WRs to make the catch, WRs depend on the O-line to block for the QB and the QB to make the throw, the only job an Olineman has is to beat the man in front of him. As long as they can do that, they'll be fine, and both of these guys can do that, imo.

I agree these guys are blue chip players that will be every bit as important to a team as any position besides QB. I will say Robinson looks much more chiseled than I expected.

As for the name thing I respectfully disagree. Fisher is big on loyalty I think that is why we have TJ McD, an SC guy, on the team. It could be the factor to break the tie between two players as close as these guys are.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Mathews is a very safe pick.

He's my top choice, neck and neck with Watkins.

jjab360

Legend
I agree these guys are blue chip players that will be every bit as important to a team as any position besides QB. I will say Robinson looks much more chiseled than I expected.

As for the name thing I respectfully disagree. Fisher is big on loyalty I think that is why we have TJ McD, an SC guy, on the team. It could be the factor to break the tie between two players as close as these guys are.
I really don't think that's got much to do with why we drafted T.J., bb. Like I mentioned before, Snead loves upside and McDonald is a big dude at 6'3, 220 lbs, and is plenty athletic to boot. That's the reason he's a Ram right now and I don't really think the school he played for had much to do with it, tbh.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
After watching the combine today and listening to all the commentary Matthews is still my choice for the Rams first, first round pick.

Every thing about him says professional, he is a guy that will play in the league for 10 years and be and every down guy protecting the backside of your QB. Good enough to push Long to the right side to finish his career and has also played the right side so if that is the way the Rams choose to go it is not completely foreign.

Fisher has seen this kid grow up, has known him and his family since he was 2 years old. I think that goes a long way toward dispelling the Fisher doesn't arguments.

Robinson and Lewan both look good too but when it comes to the bottom line Matthews is the guy who can play and make a difference in 2014.

There are some other OL guys that were impressive too, I like Gabe Jackson at Guard. Really wish the center from SC had been able to go even if we don't need a center he could be a good piece to help rebuild the weakest group on the team.
Not a Gabe Jackson guy. The top 3 tackles were all outstanding today, and a few more were pretty good. Su a' Filo was outstanding in the drills, the only other guy that looked as smooth as Matthews.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

I don't think he's being considered as a boom or bust, but as a boom or BOOM!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't think he's being considered as a boom or bust, but as a boom or BOOM!
YES, boom, or bigger boom. Can you imagine him playing next to Saffold, or oppo of Saffold. Field MURDER.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If I'm choosing between Robinson, Matthews, and Lewan, I'd take Robinson all day long and twice on Draft Day.

I can appreciate Matthews bloodline, technique, and experience (basically a 4 year starter) but Robinson, only a red-shirt sophomore, has the potential to be dominant. IMO, Matthews doesn't.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If I'm choosing between Robinson, Matthews, and Lewan, I'd take Robinson all day long and twice on Draft Day.

I can appreciate Matthews bloodline, technique, and experience (basically a 4 year starter) but Robinson, only a red-shirt sophomore, has the potential to be dominant. IMO, Matthews doesn't.
This is what I have been saying.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

For me it comes down to do I trust Matthews protecting Sam's blindside from the get go, yes. Can I say the same about Robinson, no

jjab360

Legend
For me it comes down to do I trust Matthews protecting Sam's blindside from the get go, yes. Can I say the same about Robinson, no
Neither one is going to play on Sam's blindside from the get go, so I'm not really worried about it.