Matthews Is Still The Guy For Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Neither one is going to play on Sam's blindside from the get go, so I'm not really worried about it.
I'm still not convinced Long is going to be back and ready to play by game 1. Admittedly I don't have the information the team does but as late in the year as the injury was I cannot see him being ready to play until game 4

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dr. Ram and Memphis, you know I respect both your opinions but I must disagree. Did Jerry Rice have the potential to be dominant? A 6'2" WR with 4.59 speed in the 40? Did Peyton Manning have the potential to be dominant? A QB with mediocre mobility that lacked elite arm strength?

I think people make far too much out of physical upside. As I think everyone agreed, Matthews looked great today. Robinson did too. But we're not talking about a kid in Matthews that doesn't have the physical ability. He has the nimble feet, he has the coordination, he has the balance and he has the fluidity. He's a natural bender and an effortless mover at OT. This kid has more than enough physical ability. He's every bit the athlete that guys like Joe Thomas, Ryan Clady and D'Brickashaw Ferguson are. And all three of those guys are or were top tier OTs. Thomas is the best in the game.

For me, it's Matthews. Not even a question. The combine only reaffirmed that. Length checked out. Athleticism checked out. The guy's film speaks for itself. With Robinson, you have to guess and project. I love the kid's upside but I don't like the uncertainty. I know what Matthews can do.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Robinson only has two years experience and played in a Nintendo offense at Auburn. He has a lot potential but can also turn out to be a bust, another freak athlete unable to get his technique right at the next level. Mathews all day for me

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Dr. Ram and Memphis, you know I respect both your opinions but I must disagree. Did Jerry Rice have the potential to be dominant? A 6'2" WR with 4.59 speed in the 40? Did Peyton Manning have the potential to be dominant? A QB with mediocre mobility that lacked elite arm strength?

I think people make far too much out of physical upside. As I think everyone agreed, Matthews looked great today. Robinson did too. But we're not talking about a kid in Matthews that doesn't have the physical ability. He has the nimble feet, he has the coordination, he has the balance and he has the fluidity. He's a natural bender and an effortless mover at OT. This kid has more than enough physical ability. He's every bit the athlete that guys like Joe Thomas, Ryan Clady and D'Brickashaw Ferguson are. And all three of those guys are or were top tier OTs. Thomas is the best in the game.

For me, it's Matthews. Not even a question. The combine only reaffirmed that. Length checked out. Athleticism checked out. The guy's film speaks for itself. With Robinson, you have to guess and project. I love the kid's upside but I don't like the uncertainty. I know what Matthews can do.
But jrry32, you know that I talked up Robinson BEFORE the combine, and that was from tape that I watched. He has the tools, plus more, and he fits our identity. I have respect for our OL coach, so I don't see any issues learning how to pass protect. They, along with Lewan, who's tape I don't like, all helped themselves today.

I think either one is worth a number 2 overall.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But jrry32, you know that I talked up Robinson BEFORE the combine, and that was from tape that I watched. He has the tools, plus more, and he fits our identity. I have respect for our OL coach, so I don't see any issues learning how to pass protect. They, along with Lewan, who's tape I don't like, all helped themselves today.

I think either one is worth a number 2 overall.

I wouldn't take either at #2, personally. But in a trade down to #4 or #6, I'm okay with both. I just favor Matthews. And I know you talked Robinson up, I'm not accusing you of falling in love with measurables. I just prefer Matthews. I think people are too quick to ignore how strong he is mentally and technically.

I just have some major questions with Robinson. I respect Boudreau but we're talking about two blue chip OT prospects...so the question to me isn't can Boudreau coach this kid...it's who do I believe is more likely to become a top tier OL? And I just think that's Jake.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I don't see many scenarios that I'd be upset with at that 2nd pick...Matthews, Watkins, Robinson, Clowney, trade down...I'm OK with any of those.

I'm leaning towards that direction, as well. This draft class is shaping up to be very solid.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I just have some major questions with Robinson. I respect Boudreau but we're talking about two blue chip OT prospects...so the question to me isn't can Boudreau coach this kid...it's who do I believe is more likely to become a top tier OL? And I just think that's Jake.

If Boudreau can coach up Robinson how much higher can he help Matthews reach? Doesn't it make sense that he can help Jake become a prennial Pro bowler?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I wouldn't take either at #2, personally. But in a trade down to #4 or #6, I'm okay with both. I just favor Matthews. And I know you talked Robinson up, I'm not accusing you of falling in love with measurables. I just prefer Matthews. I think people are too quick to ignore how strong he is mentally and technically.

I haven't decided what I'd do at #2, and I don't really see these people that are ignoring Matthews and the player that he is, and will be. I think Matthews would win in a poll in a landslide on this board between the two. He is a blue player and the best pure OT in this draft right now.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Just a few weeks ago everyone was on the trade down bandwagon now it seems like everyone wants to use the pick. Would love to trade down and acquire a 2nd round pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Boudreau can coach up Robinson how much higher can he help Matthews reach? Doesn't it make sense that he can help Jake become a prennial Pro bowler?

Absolutely. Personally, I think Jake will be a Pro Bowler at any position on the OL.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Cue Sammy Watkins, or Clowney.

Of course if we could trade down and still land an elite talent would be the best case scenario. I think everybody would agree with that. What we need, what the immediate impact would be, and what the future impact would be is what we all have different opinions on. I'd value both tackles over Watkins, and Clowney with the red flags that are popping up, and the impact they'd have on the team.
I'd also be fine with drafting a offensive lineman or two later. There is lots of depth at WR, and OL in this draft.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just a few weeks ago everyone was on the trade down bandwagon now it seems like everyone wants to use the pick. Would love to trade down and acquire a 2nd round pick.
I still want the trade down to #4 and then get Matthews and at #13 Dennard second round Pryor. If there just was no way to trade out of 2 and stay in the top ten with at least 2 additional picks I would still have to take Matthews

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I haven't decided what I'd do at #2, and I don't really see these people that are ignoring Matthews and the player that he is, and will be. I think Matthews would win in a poll in a landslide on this board between the two. He is a blue player and the best pure OT in this draft right now.
Concur

Memphis Ram

Legend

To answer your question on Rice and Manning? Yes. I didn't give a darn about their measurables. I watched them play. In fact, Rice is one of the reasons I even considered going to a SWAC school.

Same thing with Robinson. He didn't show anything new at the combine. He did what I expected. This kid is already an outstanding run blocker and looks to have the feet to be a very good pass protector in time, IMO. All he needs is experience.

Matthews on the other hand looks like a technician. One that will keep the defender away from the offensive player (which is great), but not one that's going to blow anybody off the football. IMO, if you give Robinson the 4 years and coaching that Matthews got and this wouldn't even be a question, IMO.