Matthews Is Still The Guy For Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

duckhunter

Starter
Seems more like Jordan Gross to me.
He's got more flexibility and anticipates/reads his man well. Position and jackhammer first punch neutralizes his man early. Still can swing em wide and out of the play.

I see you like Robinson. Still trying to roll those hard numbers.

duckhunter

Starter
To answer your question on Rice and Manning? Yes. I didn't give a darn about their measurables. I watched them play. In fact, Rice is one of the reasons I even considered going to a SWAC school.

Same thing with Robinson. He didn't show anything new at the combine. He did what I expected. This kid is already an outstanding run blocker and looks to have the feet to be a very good pass protector in time, IMO. All he needs is experience.

Matthews on the other hand looks like a technician. One that will keep the defender away from the offensive player (which is great), but not one that's going to blow anybody off the football. IMO, if you give Robinson the 4 years and coaching that Matthews got and this wouldn't even be a question, IMO.

Henry Ford said that experience is the thing of supreme value. No one is denying his run blocking but the pass pro needs work. By my count, Ealy, this year, and Chris Smith from Ark, 2012, each hung two sacks on Robinson. Smith another this year.

If you had an elite LT why would you have him block down and swing the guard outside to pick up the DE. Being tricky. How about the 8 sacks that Ark put up last year on Auburn. No one discussing that season.

jjab360

Legend
Henry Ford said that experience is the thing of supreme value. No one is denying his run blocking but the pass pro needs work. By my count, Ealy, this year, and Chris Smith from Ark, 2012, each hung two sacks on Robinson. Smith another this year.

If you had an elite LT why would you have him block down and swing the guard outside to pick up the DE. Being tricky. How about the 8 sacks that Ark put up last year on Auburn. No one discussing that season.
Same reason no one's going back and looking at Matthews' freshman or sophomore years. It doesn't matter that much when compared to their most recent performances.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Because it confuses the defense and it works, perhaps?

BTW, are you referring to the SEC Championship game? Ealy got one sack in the 1st Qtr. vs. a RB and a QB strip (sack) on the very next play when Robinson was blocking down (not his responsibility). And I think he got one playing LDT in the first half, too. But, I can't recall Ealy actually beating Robinson for a sack in that game. And I didn't watch the Arkansas game, but could you be just as mistaken there, too?

jjab360

Legend

BTW, are you referring to the SEC Championship game? Ealy got one sack in the 1st Qtr. vs. a RB and a QB strip (sack) on the very next play when Robinson was blocking down (not his responsibility). And I think he got one playing LDT in the first half, too. But, I can't recall Ealy actually beating Robinson for a sack in that game. And I didn't watch the Arkansas game, but could you be just as mistaken there, too?
How come everywhere I've looked has Ealy only credited with 1 sack in that game?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Robinson > Mathews

But Mathews is still a very strong prospect.

I'm listening why would you grade him better? On potential? On his numbers at the combine? Certainly everyone agrees Matthews is better in pass pro.

duckhunter

Starter

No I'm not mistaken, one sack came specifically against Robinson, Robinson didn't put a hand on him. It was a pure speed rush. Robinson did not look good against Ealy. Ealy had a few QB pressures. also. Once Auburn went to their triple option run game though the game was over because for some reason Stoeckel went to the only time they played it during the year 3-4 D and stunk it up from there.

And I don't recall Les Stoeckel swapping Ealy and Sams.

The point is without going through every game Robinson needs work with the pass pro game. That is as kind as I can put it and that is what the pundits say kindly.

I mentioned the previous year because Auburn was a mess. That Auburn offensive line was poor in 2012 (8 sacks against Arkansas in one game) and it is reflected in their what 2-10 record. No denying it. The QB was murdered week in and week out and the LT was part of the problem.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I prefer Robinson because he'd be a really good OG and that's where he needs to start. He gets off balance in pass protection but I think it has a lot to do with technique. He has the tools, for sure.

Memphis Ram

Legend
No I'm not mistaken, one sack came specifically against Robinson, Robinson didn't put a hand on him. It was a pure speed rush. Robinson did not look good against Ealy. Ealy had a few QB pressures. also. Once Auburn went to their triple option run game though the game was over because for some reason Stoeckel went to the only time they played it during the year 3-4 D and stunk it up from there.

And I don't recall Les Stoeckel swapping Ealy and Sams.

The point is without going through every game Robinson needs work with the pass pro game. That is as kind as I can put it and that is what the pundits say kindly.

I mentioned the previous year because Auburn was a mess. That Auburn offensive line was poor in 2012 (8 sacks against Arkansas in one game) and it is reflected in their what 2-10 record. No denying it. The QB was murdered week in and week out and the LT was part of the problem.

There's every snap vs. Missouri. I simply just can't find the plays you are talking about here. The only one close is where he blocked down on the QB strip play where the guard was supposed to get Ealy. Look again, that's not Robinson being run around. It's #62 Guard Chris Slade.

As far as the point regarding Robinson needing work in pass protection (Pace did too, btw). No one has said otherwise about his his lack of experience there. All I stated was that he looks like he has the feet to do it.

As far as 2012, the former high school guard was playing LT for the first time. He couldn't have improved during his redshirt sophomore season? Obviously, the NFL personnel people believe so. And how much of the issues were on Robinson anyway? For example, the Browns gave up 49 sacks last year (3rd worst in the NFL) with Joe Thomas at LT and Alex Mack at center.

jjab360

Legend
I think you're exaggerating the delay and I disagree that it's not correctable. Otherwise how do you explain Quinn always being the last off the line in college compared to how he explodes off the LOS now?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Personally I'd rather have Robinson because he's a mauler and gets down the field incredibly well for such a large man. I wouldn't plug him in at LT right away, however. His pass blocking technique is lacking, IMO, but he has the tools.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I have a solution, run the ball on almost every play, and then play/action ba-bomb.

jjab360

Legend
Slow is definitely not a word I'd use to describe Robinson. Also not sure about the main reason behind every poor LT being poor is because they're slow off the line. Never heard that one before, there's plenty of reasons why guys can't play LT, that's just one of many, imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To answer your question on Rice and Manning? Yes. I didn't give a darn about their measurables. I watched them play. In fact, Rice is one of the reasons I even considered going to a SWAC school.

Same thing with Robinson. He didn't show anything new at the combine. He did what I expected. This kid is already an outstanding run blocker and looks to have the feet to be a very good pass protector in time, IMO. All he needs is experience.

Matthews on the other hand looks like a technician. One that will keep the defender away from the offensive player (which is great), but not one that's going to blow anybody off the football. IMO, if you give Robinson the 4 years and coaching that Matthews got and this wouldn't even be a question, IMO.

He sure blew Kony Ealy off the football in the video I posted in another thread. I think Matthews's run blocking skills have gotten a bit underrated.