Mariota's value

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I agree that it's tough to evaluate Mariota and I think that's the case on that play. It appeared he was on a designed rollout and when his receiver is open, he's rolling away from him. Not sure if that's because Mariota rolled too far or if FS just took away what he wanted.

IMO, the poor throw that he did make was one of many in the first half. A good throw there gets them the first down instead of getting his receiver blown up.

fearsomefour

Legend
3 ones? No way.
I wouldn't give 2 ones for him.
There is little doubt to what a QB "needs" physically to succeed in the NFL....Mariota certainly has that. My concern with him is the same as with Hundley. Its the part between the ears that would worry me. Particularly if they are expected to play right away.
May be way off base but neither is the guy I would want in this draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree that it's tough to evaluate Mariota and I think that's the case on that play. It appeared he was on a designed rollout and when his receiver is open, he's rolling away from him. Not sure if that's because Mariota rolled too far or if FS just took away what he wanted.

IMO, the poor throw that he did make was one of many in the first half. A good throw there gets them the first down instead of getting his receiver blown up.

He rolled too far. Play is designed to be a quick read and a quick throw.

moklerman

Warner-phile
3 ones? No way.
I wouldn't give 2 ones for him.
There is little doubt to what a QB "needs" physically to succeed in the NFL....Mariota certainly has that. My concern with him is the same as with Hundley. Its the part between the ears that would worry me. Particularly if they are expected to play right away.
May be way off base but neither is the guy I would want in this draft.
I agree and wonder what these teams will do. On one hand, it isn't a death sentence to make a bad pick at the top of the draft anymore but on the other, I don't think either of these guys has been dazzling even at the college level. This isn't like Vince Young carrying his team and looking like he's unstoppable or Cam or anything like that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both these guys drop.

iced

And I'd probably gladly take either at 10 if they drop that far.

Bucs, Titans, Skins, Jets, Bears....

yea, don't see them getting past them - especially with new pending coaches and gm's who want "their guy"

WestCoastRam

Legend
At the end of the day, I think they'll go 1 and 2 at the top of the draft. NFL coaches and front offices only have so many years before they get canned for lack of success and it's rare to have success without a QB so I think you pick the QB and hope to fix the warts. It's what happens every year in the first round.

Both have the athletic ability and Tampa and Tennessee will convince themselves they can coach these guys up. Oddly enough, Lovie's got the unique opportunity to hire a o-coordinator with a starting QB in mind... could be an advantage for him.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At the end of the day, I think they'll go 1 and 2 at the top of the draft. NFL coaches and front offices only have so many years before they get canned for lack of success and it's rare to have success without a QB so I think you pick the QB and hope to fix the warts. It's what happens every year in the first round.

Both have the athletic ability and Tampa and Tennessee will convince themselves they can couch these guys up. Oddly enough, Lovie's got the unique opportunity to hire a o-coordinator with a starting QB in mind... could be an advantage for him.

I would put money on Tennessee not drafting either. Whisenhunt will stick with Mettenberger imo.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Was Mettenburger good? I didn't catch any Tennessee games. If that's the case, Tennessee might wanna try to pull a pretty trade for 2. I hope it's not with us!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was Mettenburger good? I didn't catch any Tennessee games. If that's the case, Tennessee might wanna try to pull a pretty trade for 2. I hope it's not with us!

He was meh. But Whisenhunt doesn't like spending top picks on QBs...and he doesn't generally like rookie QBs either.

So they'll probably stick with Mettenberger. He's not terrible but he's nothing special. Probably add a veteran QB to compete too.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I would put money on Tennessee not drafting either. Whisenhunt will stick with Mettenberger imo.

I think it depends upon who is available and who is calling the shots. Methinks that Whisenhunt has input, but won't be calling the shots.

Anyway, they could also trade for a veteran as Mettenberger is a statue who is coming off a shoulder injury and was red flagged by some teams pre-draft due to a back issue. Also had an torn ACL his senior season, too.

paceram

Pro Bowler
And I'd probably gladly take either at 10 if they drop that far.

I will be very, very surprised to see Mariota or Winston make it to the Rams at #10 but if either one does I hope the Rams run to the podium! As bad as the Seminoles got beat today (A real dad day for my son and me!) I don't think Winston deserves too much of the blame (Fumbles, Dropped Passes, Penalties, HORRIBLE DEFENSE, etc) and I would still be thrilled if the Rams can get (Steal) him with their 10th pick. And, while, maybe Winston should not had been arguing with his coach I will admit that I like seeing a QB who shows some Fire & Emotion and does not like to lose!

moklerman

Warner-phile
He was meh. But Whisenhunt doesn't like spending top picks on QBs...and he doesn't generally like rookie QBs either.

So they'll probably stick with Mettenberger. He's not terrible but he's nothing special. Probably add a veteran QB to compete too.
It'll be interesting to see what gives. Whisenhunt had tons of autonomy and control with the Cardinals but we're talking about the Titans now. Isn't their owner known to impose his will and opinions on his coaches?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I prefer Winston because you can see the NFL quality throws, he stands in the pocket but is a capable runner, he goes through his reads and he is an emotional leader.

However, I fear that ball protecting QBs are what Fisher covets. He doesn't want a guy running around like Mariota and he doesn't want a gunslinger throwing INTs. I don't think the Rams make a move to move up for either QB.

If you want to figure out who Fisher wants at QB in this draft find the guy who doesn't turn it over and isn't prone to riskiness. I was really hoping for Winston, maybe Fisher will think he can coach the riskiness out of him but I doubt it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I prefer Winston because you can see the NFL quality throws, he stands in the pocket but is a capable runner, he goes through his reads and he is an emotional leader.

However, I fear that ball protecting QBs are what Fisher covets. He doesn't want a guy running around like Mariota and he doesn't want a gunslinger throwing INTs. I don't think the Rams make a move to move up for either QB.

If you want to figure out who Fisher wants at QB in this draft find the guy who doesn't turn it over and isn't prone to riskiness. I was really hoping for Winston, maybe Fisher will think he can coach the riskiness out of him but I doubt it.
One thing I do like about Winston, is that he isn't looking to run. He wants to stand back there and throw.
I wasn't impressed with his attitude today. I like a guy with some fire, but he seemed to carry things that pissed him off onto the next few plays.
He needs to work on moving onto the next play.

moklerman

Warner-phile

The only guy I can think of that fits that description just said he was going back for another year. Cody Kessler.

Your description of Winston just emphasizes how bleak the QB crop is this year IMO. Just because a guy can make a few NFL throws and go through progressions he's being talked about as the best available. That's a far cry from some of the QB's of the past who've really lit it up in college and were obvious choices to take a chance on. Winston, IMO, just isn't anything special. Maybe he'll be a regular starter at the next level but all this talk of moving up or hoping this or whatever is just over-selling what the guy has shown.

FRO

Legend

Not saying you're wrong, but didn't he lose his job in Arizona because he had no QB after Warner?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not saying you're wrong, but didn't he lose his job in Arizona because he had no QB after Warner?

Yea...and that's exactly why I'm skeptical of him taking a QB. People typically don't change.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Well, Warner was only 38 years old. How could Whisenhunt predict needing a backup at some point? Derek Anderson, Max Hall, John Skelton, Richard Bartel, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley and Brian Hoyer were all started after Warner retired. And all of it was kicked off by sabotaging Leinart and the team by releasing him after the 4th week of preseason. As much respect as I gave Whisenhunt for how he led the Cardinals to the Super Bowl, he lost it all with how he handled things after that.

In retrospect, I question all the mindgames and power trips that seemed like good motivators at the time.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, Warner was only 38 years old. How could Whisenhunt predict needing a backup at some point? Derek Anderson, Max Hall, John Skelton, Richard Bartel, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley and Brian Hoyer were all started after Warner retired. And all of it was kicked off by sabotaging Leinart and the team by releasing him after the 4th week of preseason. As much respect as I gave Whisenhunt for how he led the Cardinals to the Super Bowl, he lost it all with how he handled things after that.

In retrospect, I question all the mindgames and power trips that seemed like good motivators at the time.

Wisenhunt didn't lead Arizona to that Superbowl. Kurt Warner did. Ken Wisenhunt just happened to be the coach there at the time.