Mariota's value

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Anyone that is watching the game tonight and doesn't see how good Mariota is well...He is just a pure athlete. I think he is Wilson but better.
He can beat you every way you can think of IMO.
He's playing great in the second half.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whaaaaat?

My man, 26/36 for 338 and 2 passing TD's and a rushing TD.
I would love to watch that kind of crap every Sunday.

You heard me. Stats are stats. Tim Tebow put up great stats in college. Doesn't mean shit in the league. Mariota has left a lot of plays on the field today and has made multiple bad plays/reads. His WRs/TEs are almost always wide open.

FSU has imploded, though. That Winston fumble was lolworthy.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
You heard me. Stats are stats. Tim Tebow put up great stats in college. Doesn't mean crap in the league. Mariota has left a lot of plays on the field today and has made multiple bad plays/reads. His WRs/TEs are almost always wide open.

It was funny. Incredibly awkward way to lose the ball. He looked like he was wearing his favorite pants and didn't want to get them dirty. Trying everything possible to stay on his feet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was funny. Incredibly awkward way to lose the ball. He looked like he was wearing his favorite pants and didn't want to get them dirty. Trying everything possible to stay on his feet.

B6Treg2IgAAZqF_.jpg

B6Trr-aCYAENNWe.jpg

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
You heard me. Stats are stats. Tim Tebow put up great stats in college. Doesn't mean crap in the league. Mariota has left a lot of plays on the field today and has made multiple bad plays/reads. His WRs/TEs are almost always wide open.

I didn't hear you, I'm not in the same room as you LOL.

Aren't you a big fan of Winston? I ask because his stats were off the carts last year. This year they are very mediocre. Not saying he won't turn into a good NFL QB.
I just prefer Mariota.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He stepped up when he needed to. Winston didn't. I agree that fumble was comical. Even more so because he was doing a good job of avoiding pressure.

Winston didn't? Come on now. The fumble was terrible but that was after Cook fumbled the game away. Aside from the fumble, Winston was great in the second half.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

BTW, I do tend to agree for the most part stats in college don't mean as much but Mariota was 38:2 TD INT ratio.
Winston was 24:17. Again, this year was bad for Winston but Mariota does not turn the ball over very often. And after watching our QB play this year we sure could use that.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Winston didn't? Come on now. The fumble was terrible but that was after Cook fumbled the game away. Aside from the fumble, Winston was great in the second half.
OK. OK. In fairness he isn't responsible for all the T/O's.

Seems to me you prefer Winston and I prefer Mariota.

Nothing wrong with that my man.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't hear you, I'm not in the same room as you LOL.

Aren't you a big fan of Winston? I ask because his stats were off the carts last year. This year they are very mediocre. Not saying he won't turn into a good NFL QB.
I just prefer Mariota.

I don't. Too many issues with Mariota's game. Not as accurate as people claim, doesn't make NFL reads(and blew one of the most NFL like reads I saw him have today), and the offense he plays in does not prepare him for the NFL. The kid has plenty of physical talent but I'm not sold on him.

Winston has his issues(aside from the off the field problems). He's going to be turnover prone as he is a gunslinger and he needs to develop his mechanics...but you can see the skills, you can see it mentally, you see the personality(on the field), and he plays in a pro style offense.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I don't. Too many issues with Mariota's game. Not as accurate as people claim, doesn't make NFL reads(and blew one of the most NFL like reads I saw him have today), and the offense he plays in does not prepare him for the NFL. The kid has plenty of physical talent but I'm not sold on him.

Winston has his issues(aside from the off the field problems). He's going to be turnover prone as he is a gunslinger and he needs to develop his mechanics...but you can see the skills, you can see it mentally, you see the personality(on the field), and he plays in a pro style offense.

Fair enough. Time will tell. It's highly doubtful we can get either one in the draft so we'll have to watch them on other teams.

FWIW, I would have no issue drafting Winston if he fell to us. I doubt Fisher trades up for him though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK. OK. In fairness he isn't responsible for all the T/O's.

Seems to me you prefer Winston and I prefer Mariota.

Nothing wrong with that my man.

All? Come on, now. He's responsible for one...that embarrassing fumble. His HB fumbled twice. His WR fumbled. And the int bounced off a different WR's chest.

It's fine that you prefer Mariota. I understand why. He is definitely better at taking care of the ball.

BTW, I do tend to agree for the most part stats in college don't mean as much but Mariota was 38:2 TD INT ratio.
Winston was 24:17. Again, this year was bad for Winston but Mariota does not turn the ball over very often. And after watching our QB play this year we sure could use that.

Tim Tebow: 32 TDs to 6 Ints
Matt Ryan: 31 TDs to 19 Ints

Stats don't mean much in college. Different systems achieve different results.

I don't blame you for preferring Mariota but I have issues with some of what I see.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
All? Come on, now. He's responsible for one...that embarrassing fumble. His HB fumbled twice. His WR fumbled. And the int bounced off a different WR's chest.

It's fine that you prefer Mariota. I understand why. He is definitely better at taking care of the ball.

Tim Tebow: 32 TDs to 6 Ints
Matt Ryan: 31 TDs to 19 Ints

Stats don't mean much in college. Different systems achieve different results.

I don't blame you for preferring Mariota but I have issues with some of what I see.

Yeah, I said he WASN'T responsible for all of them, just his fumble. You aren't going to beat Oregon with 5 T/O's. That's for sure.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He stepped up when he needed to. Winston didn't. I agree that fumble was comical. Even more so because he was doing a good job of avoiding pressure.
Winston was making some great throws as well. The turnovers killed him. Although the tipped ball int and the backwards fumble were on him.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Mariota definitely started shaky but I wonder if he was just too amped up in the first half? Doesn't excuse all the high throws but it might explain them. Just as Winston started slowly, I think Mariota started to impress in the second half. The two TD throws we're both nice.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This play actually does a nice job of illustrating my point. Mariota and Oregon's offense give you very limited chances to see NFL style throws, reads, and progressions. Here is a play that gives you a NFL style route concept with a NFL style read:

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:12108741

This is the 4th down play. You have 3 WRs bunched with the outside WR running a spot route, the middle WR running a corner route, and the inner most WR running a flat route. This play is similar to one many NFL teams use.

Anyways, most of the time, the WR running the corner route is simply a decoy unless there's a coverage bust. His job is to clear out the coverage and to make the QB's read easier. The QB is reading the flat-spot combo. In man to man, the spot route usually will pick the CB playing the flat. If the flat route is successfully covered, that almost always means that spot route is open. You just have to recognize it and throw it quickly before the window closes. This is true on this play. The safety crashes down and takes the flat WR while the CB does not pick up the spot route. Mariota should have spotted this and known that the spot route is open. He doesn't. And they don't convert.

Now, I'm not saying that Winston is perfect. I'm not saying he doesn't miss reads or throws. But Winston gives you a lot of opportunities to see NFL style concepts, route combinations, and reads. Mariota does not. He has to make them count.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Winston was making some great throws as well. The turnovers killed him. Although the tipped ball int and the backwards fumble were on him.

The interception bounced out of the hands of Rudolph, the WR.