Mariota's value

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
That's going to include you also, so stating this like it changes the discussion is silly.

Obvious statement...you are never going to have EVERYONE agree. Heck some said that RG3 should go ahead of Luck....some thought Leaf was better than Manning....
I don't see any "nostalgia" in the statements...I see a statement that very regularly players get elevated to "can't miss" status because of what they did in college or at combines. The fact is neither is perfect, there is no perfect system for judging players, no one hits every time. You are elevating Winston, wrongly or rightly, based on how you judge players. You may very well be right, only time will tell.

I HATE to admit it but I was one of those Ryan Leaf fans! Boy, did he disappoint me! All I kept hearing was that he was a bigger version of John Elway!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He isn't that much better than Hundley or Petty. Teams at the top are crazy.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I HATE to admit it but I was one of those Ryan Leaf fans! Boy, did he disappoint me! All I kept hearing was that he was a bigger version of John Elway!
Happens all the time.
Remember when Rick Mirer was Joe Montana with a stronger arm?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I thought the world of Bradford. Highest rated QB I've evaluated. Still kills me the way his career has gone. If the kid wasn't good enough, I could accept that but for injuries to wreck it the way they did...just depressing.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I don't see Russell Wilson.

Russell Wilson spent his entire career in a pro style offense. And he was prolific. Only reason he fell was because of height. He was a more developed player mentally and was more accurate.

Winston isn't JaMarcus Russell. And Russell failing had nothing to do with an ego. It was work ethic. Plenty of top QBs have an ego.

Jerry that's what I see, not what you see. I see someone very similar to Russel Wilson.

Winston has a shit attitude, ego, and thinks he's bigger than he is. He has attitude that thinks he can do whatever he wants, steal, ràpe, party, say whatever he wants without repercussions.... Sounds a lot like Mr. Jamarcus 'purple drank' Winston to me.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Jerry that's what I see, not what you see. I see someone very similar to Russel Wilson.

Winston has a crap attitude, ego, and thinks he's bigger than he is. He has attitude that thinks he can do whatever he wants, steal, ràpe, party, say whatever he wants without repercussions.... Sounds a lot like Mr. Jamarcus 'purple drank' Winston to me.
Yea I'd have to agree with you on that... Winston does remind me of the waste of talent and opportunity that Jamarcus was.

And I can see your comparisons with Mariota and Wilson. Mariota has more upside to be dominate I think, just needs to get accustomed in a pro style offense for a bit. He'd be perfect to ride the bench for a while and get experience and confidence built up , he has all the other tools.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Winston has a crap attitude, ego, and thinks he's bigger than he is. He has attitude that thinks he can do whatever he wants, steal, ràpe, party, say whatever he wants without repercussions.... Sounds a lot like Mr. Jamarcus 'purple drank' Winston to me.

No. Not really. Remind me...how many off the field issues did JaMarcus Russell have in college?

But yea, a guy known for his work habits, preparation, and vocal leadership is just like JaMarcus Russell.

Ramathon

Bottom line is if you're going to give up all those picks, you better be grabbing the right guy. And I don't know how anyone can feel confident enough in a player that doesn't run anything resembling a NFL offense and rarely makes NFL throws.

That is exactly the bit that bothers me. Especially to give up as much as the OP is suggesting.

I could see the Rams being MUCH more interested in Winston if they're going QB in the 1st round. The current regime is just not 'new agey' enough to go that route, IMO. From what we know and have seen thus far, Winston would seem the much more typical 'NFL' style QB.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
No. Not really. Remind me...how many off the field issues did JaMarcus Russell have in college?

But yea, a guy known for his work habits, preparation, and vocal leadership is just like JaMarcus Russell.
So this is now turned from now you trash Mariota because you have a man crush on Winston to what off the field problems Jamarcus Russell had at LSU? Seriously?

Wanting to be a draft guru and being one is two different things. Kinda like how Clowney earned his way into the HOF in one year in the NFL?
image.jpg

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
So this is now turned from now you trash Mariota because you have a man crush on Winston to what off the field problems Jamarcus Russell had at LSU? Seriously?

Wanting to be a draft guru and being one is two different things. Kinda like how Clowney earned his way into the HOF in one year in the NFL?View attachment 4882
Lmao...
tumblr_lpzg6qGDxy1qcs1kh.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Wanting to be a draft guru and being one is two different things. Kinda like how Clowney earned his way into the HOF in one year in the NFL?View attachment 4882

I haven't "trashed" Mariota at all. I've discussed problems I have with his game. I've discussed problems I have with Winston's game too. They just don't happen to be the same problems you have. Because I don't pretend like I am Winston's psychiatrist that spent the last 3 years in the FSU locker-room with him which makes me capable of giving everyone a prognosis of who he is as a person.

But please, tell us all about how you know Winston personally which makes you an authority on who he is as a person. You don't? That's what I thought. And that's why I stick to what I see on the field(or on the sidelines) during games and what I hear from reputable sources.(i.e. not TMZ)

Clowney? The guy got injured. That's a risk in football. But since you're interested in attacking the poster, I'll show you mine if you show me yours. And by that, I mean track record. Because I feel quite confident that my track record is just fine. And FYI, any person who posted with me on other boards will tell you that I've never been one to conceal my misses.

So I'd recommend you focus on the topic at hand rather than me because you've already gotten yourself in trouble on this board with your attacks on other posters. If you can't have a difference of opinion without attacking the other poster, you need to do some maturing.