Mariota's value

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I keep hearing fans say he is not woth the trade up cost, however I am not sure that is the case. For purposes of discussion, let's say the cost for the Rams is 3 first round picks.

First off, one thing a QB needs to succeed in the NFL is dedication and work ethic. It takes a lot of time and work to succeed at that position. Mariota is a tireless worker and team guy, the type of guy who can be the face of your franchise.

When I look at Mariota I see the safest QB pick. He is big, fast, feels the rush at a rare level, and throws as well on the run as anyone I have ever seen. He can throw from the pocket or kill a defense that rushes carelessly.

Another thing he does well is keep his eyes downfield even when the rush is there. That is something that is very difficult for some to learn, and can cause an otherwise talented QB to fail in the NFL.

Now, admittedly he is not my top target in this draft. Petty is my favorite since we can get him without moving up. However, I do think the Rams will grade Mariota out as elite and I could see them moving up for him.

Bottom line is when you don't have a QB all those picks don't mean squat. Rams have exceptional talent so it won't surprise me if they move up and get it addressed even if the cost is steep.

FRO

Legend
The most important thing a QB needs is good players around him. If we trade 3 first round picks as you suggest we really limit our ability to add pieces around the QB. I don't think many QBs would do well with our current line. To me that's first and foremost. I learned from the Bradford saga it does no good to have a stud QB when the support cast sucks. Right now our line is horrible and wouldn't support any QB to do well enough.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Mariota's definitely safer than Winston... but trading that much for him? Especially when many don't see him as a Franchise QB type?

If he fails, we've put off success for quite a while.

If we trade at all, I say we trade down.

FRO

Legend
Mariota's definitely safer than Winston... but trading that much for him? Especially when many don't see him as a Franchise QB type?

If he fails, we've put off success for quite a while.

If we trade at all, I say we trade down.
Safer how? I agree off the field he is safer, on the field he is much more risky. One read and run college spread offense types usually don't do well long term in the NFL.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Safer how? I agree off the field he is safer, on the field he is much more risky. One read and run college spread offense types usually don't do well long term in the NFL.
Mainly talking about safer in terms of whether off field stuff/maturity issues will render him a bus.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I keep hearing fans say he is not woth the trade up cost, however I am not sure that is the case. For purposes of discussion, let's say the cost for the Rams is 3 first round picks.

If that's the cost, no is the answer.

When I look at Mariota I see the safest QB pick. He is big, fast, feels the rush at a rare level, and throws as well on the run as anyone I have ever seen. He can throw from the pocket or kill a defense that rushes carelessly.

Jameis Winston is a safer QB pick on the field. And Mariota does not feel the rush at a rare level. Plus, I've seen multiple QBs who threw on the run better than Mariota...including Sam Bradford coming out of college.

Another thing he does well is keep his eyes downfield even when the rush is there. That is something that is very difficult for some to learn, and can cause an otherwise talented QB to fail in the NFL.

Don't agree.

Now, admittedly he is not my top target in this draft. Petty is my favorite since we can get him without moving up. However, I do think the Rams will grade Mariota out as elite and I could see them moving up for him.

If we draft Petty in the first round, I don't even know what I'll do. Might be the last straw for me.

Bottom line is when you don't have a QB all those picks don't mean squat. Rams have exceptional talent so it won't surprise me if they move up and get it addressed even if the cost is steep.

Bottom line is if you're going to give up all those picks, you better be grabbing the right guy. And I don't know how anyone can feel confident enough in a player that doesn't run anything resembling a NFL offense and rarely makes NFL throws.

Mariota is the #2 QB on my board. He's a talented kid but he's a bigger risk than people are letting on. And, imo, he doesn't have the upside that Winston does.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
To me Mariota is incredibly difficult to evaluate since there is nothing on tape to create a great evaluation. All I can see for sure is he has a strong arm and is fast.

There is nothing that indicates he can read a defense, go through his progressions, fit balls into a tight window, or has enough touch to beat zone coverage.

It's not his fault because he is not asked to any of that.

To me based on where he is being projected to be drafted Mariota is the biggest risk in this draft.

Good character does not always translate to NFL success. I'm rooting for the kid but think Mariota's chances of busting are much higher than him being a franchise player

ausmurp

Starter
Guys, really? Mariota = Kaepernick in the NFL, period. Kaep is a decent QB who brings the running dynamic to the position, but the read option is pretty dead now and he has struggled since it died. I would take Kaep over any QB we have but would not put the franchise on his shoulders. In a redraft I would not draft Kaepernick in the 1st rd, thus I would not draft Mariota in the 1st rd.

FRO

Legend
Guys, really? Mariota = Kaepernick in the NFL, period. Kaep is a decent QB who brings the running dynamic to the position, but the read option is pretty dead now and he has struggled since it died. I would take Kaep over any QB we have but would not put the franchise on his shoulders. In a redraft I would not draft Kaepernick in the 1st rd, thus I would not draft Mariota in the 1st rd.
I agree with this. If you draft Mariota you are hoping he is smarter than Kaepernick and can develop into a pocket guy. Had Kaepernick been better Mariota would go first easily. Since he has struggled teams must be second guessing Mariota. The QB has to be able to win in the pocket. I'm sure Winston can, I'm not sure Mariota can though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't see Mariota anywhere near Kaepernick in terms of where they are in the draft.

Kaep was very raw, incredibly so and it showed, is still showing. He is always going to be a better running threat than throwing threat, the guy is not an elite passer and never will be. This is why he did not grade out top of the field in the draft like Mariota is going to.

Mariota is night and day difference from him in passing ability. I see him as similar to RGIII in his skills in passing and running, without the ridiculous me-first idiocy you get with RGIII as Mariota is a team guy from everything I have ever heard or seen from him and the team.

Really excited to see how he plays today. These playoff games are going to factor in on which, if any, QB drops in this draft. Mariota could drop a little bit if he struggles I think, but I suspect he's gonna play well. Either way at this point he could still be a guy the Rams could nab in this draft as if he does drop a bit to say 5 or 6 the Rams would have a much higher chance of moving up to get him.

Memphis Ram

Legend

The read option isn't dead at all. The 49ers and some other teams simply don't run it as often in an effort to protect their investments. Seattle is still making hay with it. It's even helped Russell Wilson rush for more yards the any of the Rams running backs.

iced

Bucs didn't tank for the pick to trade it, especially with as qb needy as they've been..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mariota has looked like crap today. King of screens. Missed multiple wide open throws, threw an INT on a bad throw, had another dropped INT, and blew some pretty easy reads.

Winston started shaky too but he turned it around and closed strong. He is what he is. Going to turn the ball over in the NFL, he's a gunslinger. But he'll also make some great plays.

FRO

Legend
Mariota has looked like crap today. King of screens. Missed multiple wide open throws, threw an INT on a bad throw, had another dropped INT, and blew some pretty easy reads.

Winston started shaky too but he turned it around and closed strong. He is what he is. Going to turn the ball over in the NFL, he's a gunslinger. But he'll also make some great plays.
Mariota is a talented college QB. I want to see my franchise QB throw the ball down the field with power and accuracy consistently. I want to see him fit the ball into tight spots. I'm not convinced Mariota is that guy. Has great numbers playing in that gimmicky college spread system.

Win1-4Ned

Rookie

I agree and will be glad for another team to grab Mariota early.

FRO

Legend
I don't think we would run the kind of offense necessary for Mariota to succeed. The fast break offense he runs isn't something a ball control defensive minded coach will enjoy.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Winston throwing hissy fits on the field today.
I was starting to come around with him. No longer. Completely letting his emotions control him.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Anyone that is watching the game tonight and doesn't see how good Mariota is well...He is just a pure athlete. I think he is Wilson but better.
He can beat you every way you can think of IMO.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

Whaaaaat?

My man, 26/36 for 338 and 2 passing TD's and a rushing TD.
I would love to watch that kind of crap every Sunday.