Mannion - Opinions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
From what I saw in Mannion's limited action, I was not impressed with anything he did. He did not look good to me. But as with Goff, how good could someone look in the middle school offense they played in with an OC that looked to be in over his head? Along with subpar protection and receivers? If we throw out Goff's performance because of that I suppose its only fair to do the same with Mannion.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If we throw out Goff's performance because of that I suppose its only fair to do the same with Mannion.
We could, but he's been here longer....

It's not like we haven't seen poor offensive teams before...Make something happen...Make coaches HAVE to play you...I don't get all the "team around him is this or that..." Make something happen.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I saw quite a few OSU games...and yeah, Mannion was in the shotgun..Quite a bit. I don't see all this sliding....or getting it done....In fact, one of my main things against Goff was and is, against good competition, he never won. Sorta like Mannion in 2014.

Pretty observant I see. Tell me, what about our QB play the last 3 years has you UP?

If I told you there was a QB, walking around, that went to 3 straight NFC championship games (and a super bowl) and is under 30, what would YOU do if YOU were the GM?

Goff showed moments of growth. Gurley should have been better as well. Whatever the case was the offensive was horrible.
In the last 3 years ? I guess I have to say the future of Jared Goff right now. I'm staying in the present.

If your talking about Kap ? I'd say no way , because I don't think he fits McVays offensive style. If you would have asked me this question last season I would say HECK Yeah !!! I've watched a lot of Niner games because of being in Bay area . He does not read defenses well , & bails out early. Does find away to move the chains though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Does find away to move the chains though
Which is exactly what is needed in a backup QB.

That drive that Kaep led against us....killed me last year. 9ers win two games. With Gabbert & Kaep...and beat us both times....Sheesh...this is almost as bad as Roger Craig running through us...

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Mannion has some talent for sure, but there is a reason Goff was drafted where he was and likewise Sean where her was... My guess is after this season we'll be talking about a great 10 year career and never looking back.
Mannion will probably end up on another team sometime during that span.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We could, but he's been here longer....

It's not like we haven't seen poor offensive teams before...Make something happen...Make coaches HAVE to play you...I don't get all the "team around him is this or that..." Make something happen.
Yep he's been here longer and subjected to terrible coaching for longer and not being developed for longer. Last year was the only real meaningful action he got when he was promoted to 2nd string. That's why I'm excited to see what he can do as the number 2 getting a lot of reps and finally feeling involved in the game.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion has some talent for sure, but there is a reason Goff was drafted where he was and likewise Sean where her was... My guess is after this season we'll be talking about a great 10 year career and never looking back.

Or vice versa lol

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yep he's been here longer and subjected to terrible coaching for longer and not being developed for longer.
I'm not going to go through a list of bad QB's that played decently with great coaches...and I won't go over the good QB's that succeeded in spite of poor coaching. At some point, it's on the individual to seek out what could save his career. And, I don't blame coaching on the ONE drive I witnessed from Mannion, when he threw a pick 6. Hell, dude never looked downfield...he had to watch the game...the way Az was sitting on outs...I woulda told a guy to run a stop an go...damn the play call...and threw a bomb...He was dinking and dunking as soon as he hit the field...Another guy that looked scared to play...and thats what I'm going on...a 2nd year player that's still scared.

What the hell does he do in the offseason? When will he be ready to play? Oh now...since McVay is here? Spare me.

Sorry I missed this...
I remember Trent Green going down against the Chargers. That DB who is a HOF guy was always dirty. He freaking did the newer Tom Brady rule. He rolled his legs after a pass. Trent was 8 for 8 at the time.
That was HOF RB Marshall Faulk's fault...he even admitted it...He was dogging it in PRESEASON! Lazy ass block...and probably the start of the end for Martz...he always had these wild blocking schemes for lineman on pass patterns...allowing guys to get hit. but that hit was on Marshall...and with it came our first NFL championship. Sports are strange like that. Green was looking like an MVP that preseason. I wonder if he's bitter? He seems to love the Chiefs more than us?

Last edited:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I'm not going to go through a list of bad QB's that played decently with great coaches...and I won't go over the good QB's that succeeded in spite of poor coaching. At some point, it's on the individual to seek out what could save his career. And, I don't blame coaching on the ONE drive I witnessed from Mannion, when he threw a pick 6. Hell, dude never looked downfield...he had to watch the game...the way Az was sitting on outs...I woulda told a guy to run a stop an go...damn the play call...and threw a bomb...He was dinking and dunking as soon as he hit the field...Another guy that looked scared to play...and thats what I'm going on...a 2nd year player that's still scared.

What the hell does he do in the offseason? When will he be ready to play? Oh now...since McVay is here? Spare me.
Wedding-Crashers.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have nothing against Mannion.He may turn out to be a good QB one day.
And there's nothing wrong with wanting to get some opinions on the guy,
but Mannion's release has never been quick.In fact it's quite the opposite.
His release was one of the problem areas that he needed to address.
Mannion actually has a pretty quick snap to his release when he needs it. He loads up on long throws like many QBs. I think Goff shows the ability to have a quick release on longer throws but it is more of a mantra than reality that Mannion has a slow release. His footwork is good in the pocket and had probably a slight majority of his college snaps taken under center. He is very easy to catch when chased - no doubt. But he has showed a good judgement on when to roll out.

I hope that Mannion keeps improving, so that he becomes a legitimate trade bait option in a year or two.

This is what I think will happen. I watched almost every game Mannion played at OSU as my son was going to school there and we live about 45 minutes away. Mannion had an absolutely atrocious O-line and virtually no offensive talent during his senior year. That offense was truly cringe-worthy.

I think Mannion will be a starter at some point. I think Goff has better arm talent and footwork when being forced to move. Goff is our starter. But quite possibly, Mannion gets us a pretty good trade either next year or possibly even this year as injuries happen.

From the tiny amount of time he's been out on the field in the NFL... what my eyes tell me is he's a little too tall. His size may help him see over the linemen, but it also takes away from his athleticism. Guys who are that tall tend to be lumbering and slower in just about everything they do.

This was his biggest issue IMO. When he was chased, it was like catching a tree. He actually had pretty good footwork inside the pocket. Force him to move in tight spaces... he has a tough time with that.

There is no way a team should go into a season with a backup like Mannion. Little experience and less actual skills. If Goff doesn't pan out we're screwed.
I watched a bunch of his 2013 tape...He had a couple of good receivers...one just left the Steelers, Wheaton or something like that...I also remember a guy named Paz. He did look like a NFL backup but he had a alarming amount of short throws, and terrible feet. Under pressure in 2014 he was awful. I'd be surprised if he left the Rams he'd get picked up. I wanted to see him for 2 seasons, if he couldn't get in with the QB play we've displayed, he must be terrible.

Because it is rare for teams go into a season with an inexperienced back-up. I forgot how much experience Favre's back-up had or Mannings, or Brady's.

I watched virtually every game Mannion played. Aside from having Wheaton for 2 seasons and Cooks for three, name the NFL caliber offensive players he had around him. As it was, Riles asked Mannion to pal around with Cooks as Cooks was being a real punk his freshman year. Cooks turned it around the following season.

Mannion doesn't have the greatest talent at QB but he has pretty good talent and is a very good team guy. We could certainly have a worse back-up and most teams do.

No...he didn't. In 2013 Mannion looked like he could possibly be an NFL backup....in 2014, he looked like his last year of college would be his last year of football. Cook is NOTHING like Tavon...only similarity is speed. I don't know what he averaged...on throws, attempts, completions...I just know he always threw a bunch of short passes...and his feet, which I pay attention too for my own reasons, are slow as molasses...
No...he didn't look "like" Goff, he looked worse than Goff....which is pretty hard to do.

I agree with one thing. Cooks was nothing like Tavon. He was a route runner. How do you think he became a good route runner? According to Coach Riley - that was in big part due to his relationship with Mannion. In 2014, Mannion had virtually nothing for offensive talent on the team. His only starting level lineman besides a true freshman was injured most of the season.

Did Mannion throw a lot of short passes in 2014? Probably. No running game or O-line can do that to you. Still, he throws a very nice long ball and was known as somewhat of a gun slinger.

We just see things differently because Mannion spent all his time in the pocket dropping back to pass not taking shotgun snaps, so in regards to his footwork inside the pocket I think it's actually very good. He slides he step up he does it all inside the pocket now when he is forced outside the pocket that's a complete different story but his feet inside the pocket he gets it done..

We brought up college stats cause you said he only throws short I was pointing out that it was simply not true. Take another look at Mannion in the preseason and tell me he don't move good inside the pocket..
He took a fair number of shotgun snaps but no where near the number as most college QBs these days including Goff. He does have good footwork inside the pocket. What escapes a lot of people is that he not only has a very high release point on most passes but also sees well through the O-line, not just over it. He's tall but so are O-linemen. He has some timing issues for sure but almost never has the ball batted down at the line. He was asked to be a slinger in lieu of having a running game. That has a lot to do with the number of INTs

It makes sense to see him look comfortable in a Fisher offense, he was a perfect fit.. Goff supposedly is a perfect fit for the McVay offense, so we'll see how Mannion looks in it as well.
Could be. Let's hope Goff is the perfect fit..... or Mannion. I don't really care as long as one of them is.

I agree with this. Mannion has abilities. I think Goff has more talent. I still think Mannion becomes a starting QB - just not here.

nighttrain

Legend
Not sure why we went to college stats...but we're here...At this point, neither look like viable NFL starters...and Mannion looked worse when he did get in...what's your point? Seriously...I'm curious.....

The reason I bring up feet is...the NFL game requires a certain finesse in the pocket of a QB..subtle moves, slides and pivots before delivering a timely pass. I don't see this ability in Mannion.
But i do believe Goff has the ability to make rushers miss him when in the pocket, has good feet
train

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I am looking forward to week 2 of TC as that is when I will be on vacation. Mannions biggest weakness IMO is his ability to get rid of the ball quickly. Last TC Goff was the most fluid and natural passer in Rams TC as far as his throwing motion and release, expecting to see the same this year. Plus being armed with an NFL O scheme should make for good use of those sticky handed football loving WRs and TEs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see Mannion's ceiling as Shaun Hill. And Goff I could see anywhere in between Danny Marino and Danny Kanell

Ok, Marino is a stretch, he's the only Danny I can think of.... Lol

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
From the tiny amount of time he's been out on the field in the NFL... what my eyes tell me is he's a little too tall. His size may help him see over the linemen, but it also takes away from his athleticism. Guys who are that tall tend to be lumbering and slower in just about everything they do.

I think of guys like Bartkowski and Rothlisberger and disagree. Tall is a good trait, but considering guys like Brees and Flutie, height just isn't nearly the factor that mental acuity and competitive drive is predicting QB success. Unfortunately, most of us haven't seen enough of Mannion to determine much.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Mannion actually has a pretty quick snap to his release when he needs it. He loads up on long throws like many QBs. I think Goff shows the ability to have a quick release on longer throws but it is more of a mantra than reality that Mannion has a slow release. His footwork is good in the pocket and had probably a slight majority of his college snaps taken under center. He is very easy to catch when chased - no doubt. But he has showed a good judgement on when to roll out.

Guess we may have to disagree on this.
But when we're talking about quick release,we may be talking about two different
things.In my understanding of speaking on release,and I won't swear that I'm correct on this.
I am talking about the amount of time it takes from the set position,to the ball leaving his hands.

Mannion from set,takes a around the clock motion to get to the point of release.
Now it will vary in the exaggeration of the motion depending the strength needed
to get the ball where it needs to go.

Goff from the set position comes straight back with the ball and straight forward to the release point.
The only time you see the exaggerated motion with Goff is when he is really needing to get the ball
down the field.

To me,there is a noticeable difference in the time from decision to release between Mannion and most.I think Mannion holds the ball lower than he should generally and that may be what is creating the extra motion.
Mannion looked to have cleaned it up this past preseason,but what little we saw of him in the regular
season it looked like he may have regressed again.I guess instant pressure will to that to a person.When I first watch

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I think of guys like Bartkowski and Rothlisberger and disagree. Tall is a good trait, but considering guys like Brees and Flutie, height just isn't nearly the factor that mental acuity and competitive drive is predicting QB success. Unfortunately, most of us haven't seen enough of Mannion to determine much.

He's listed at 6'6"... and I think he's even taller than that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Guess we may have to disagree on this.
But when we're talking about quick release,we may be talking about two different
things.In my understanding of speaking on release,and I won't swear that I'm correct on this.
I am talking about the amount of time it takes from the set position,to the ball leaving his hands.

Mannion from set,takes a around the clock motion to get to the point of release.
Now it will vary in the exaggeration of the motion depending the strength needed
to get the ball where it needs to go.

Goff from the set position comes straight back with the ball and straight forward to the release point.
The only time you see the exaggerated motion with Goff is when he is really needing to get the ball
down the field.

To me,there is a noticeable difference in the time from decision to release between Mannion and most.I think Mannion holds the ball lower than he should generally and that may be what is creating the extra motion.
Mannion looked to have cleaned it up this past preseason,but what little we saw of him in the regular
season it looked like he may have regressed again.I guess instant pressure will to that to a person.When I first watch
Goff is able to do it on a bit longer throws. But Mannion has the ability to quickly flick the ball out there on short throws and even some medium routes. He tended to wind up a little on long throws and yes, he held the ball too low at times. He didn't hold the ball low all the time so correcting that is likely an easy fix. But I have seen plenty of throws by Mannion where his release was very quick. And let's not pretend that a quick release means success in the NFL. Aside from that, Mannion's ability to read defenses and react was never his issue. Making bad decisions on occasion or throwing some jump balls could be at times. He will sometimes trust his receivers and his own arm more than is warranted.

As I said, I think Goff's arm talent is better than Mannion's. But I think two of Goff's greatest strengths are his quick release and his ability to work inside the pocket. I actually think he is better at those two areas than most QBs we've seen come out over the past few years. I think Goff lacks arm strength to an extent, holds the ball a little too long because he doesn't process fast enough, and has some difficulty on sideline passes. But overall, I think Goff is the better option than Mannion. Still - I think Mannion is underrated.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
History has shown....any QB over 6'5" is going to be awful.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
History has shown....any QB over 6'5" is going to be awful.

Joe Flacco, Mike Glennon, Brock Osweiler, Derek Anderson, Jamarcus Russell and Nick Foles all disagree with you, VEHEMENTLY!!

Don't write them off just yet Mojo! :D :p