Mangold or Sullivan?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FA Center of choice

• Nick Mangold

• John Sullivan

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I like Mangold and Wichmann at top of our depth chart in this situation. ... freeing us up to draft 2 corners and 2 offensive weapons ( 2 wr, or wr and te.....any order) with our first 4 picks. But Mcvay/Snead have done pretty well so far in free agency in my opinion sooo....o which ever direction they go in I'm on board......;)

Go Rams.......... ;)

I make zero claims to being close to an expert, but I haven't seen anything that makes me believe that Wichmann is starting C material at this point...Mangold I can see as a guy to get them through the short term...

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I make zero claims to being close to an expert, but I haven't seen anything that makes me believe that Wichmann is starting C material at this point..

Too be honest. ... me either to both.... but "IF" our coaching staff believes that is the direction we should go..best for the team.....I trust them as coaches and teachers. ... ;)

Go Rams........ ;)

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
:wtf: Very injury prone??? Nick Mangold's been a model of consistency. Before last year he missed four games in ten years!

He wasn't always injury prone but many people think his ankle will never fully heal. He has been very frustrated with how easily it has been to reinjure it throughout the process and spent much of last year playing hurt so his play reflected that. Every OL position needs to be sturdy in the lower body for leverage. It wouldn't make sense to sign an expensive, old center with a bum ankle.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Kromer was so concerned about it then he would have pushed the Rams to offer more to Groy, IMO. The Rams can find a good center without having to use a second round pick on one. But, if they want one of the best in the league a high pick is often warranted. Either way Centers can be found and coached up throughout the draft. He may even think he likes what he sees in a player on the roster already.

I am not too concerned. Most of the needs have been addressed. The draft requirements have been reduced to a manageable point. I don't think I will necessarily get my big playmaker like I hoped but right now Center, Corner or two, Pass rushing LBer, maybe a Free Safety seem to be the biggest needs. I am not even so sure about the free safety. They haven't cut anyone from the DB group.

Filling remaining needs is definitely doable.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
He wasn't always injury prone but many people think his ankle will never fully heal. He has been very frustrated with how easily it has been to reinjure it throughout the process and spent much of last year playing hurt so his play reflected that. Every OL position needs to be sturdy in the lower body for leverage. It wouldn't make sense to sign an expensive, old center with a bum ankle.

1st .....this question is about Mangold not Mangold as he relates to the Rams.... but I've read nothing that claims it's going to be a chronic ankle injury. ... have you? If so, do you have a link? I am not calling you out.... but if there is actually info ( from a doctor or team official) out there that we should know..... I'd be interested in reading it. If not no worries. ..... ;)

Go Rams......... ;)

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Too be honest. ... me either to both.... but "IF" our coaching staff believes that is the direction we should go..best for the team.....I trust them as coaches and urse

Yeah, so do I...Of course we have no choice in thst regard...I would think they've surely got a plan B...They wouldn't just cut Barnes and assume the replacement was a slam dunk...

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

I agree that we have to trust the coaches...Of course we don't have any choice on that...I can't imagine that they would have cut Barnes without a plan B in case their first choice wasn't a slam dunk...We'll just have to wait to find out what it is...Seems like I did read something about cross-training guys already here...Just for me I hope that's not the way it goes down...

Zero

Pro Bowler
Mangold and Sullivan both scream Jake Long
I get that same vibe.
Rather draft a center,take our lumps early and have a future at the position.
Give Kromer a quality young man to work with, and he will build our center.
What you thinkin Rabid?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I'd gladly take it. Jake Long played great his 1st year. 1 year from a vet as a bridge to the kid we draft? Home run.
Of course Long was only 27 when we signed him but i digress

That makes 1 of us I'm done with the overpaying stopgap players. We need players without questionable injury history's that are serviceable o line as well. We can't draft/groom a rookie if who he is backing up is hurt were just throwing to the wolves

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I get that same vibe.
Rather draft a center,take our lumps early and have a future at the position.
Give Kromer a quality young man to work with, and he will build our center.
What you thinkin Rabid?
I agree we need to draft a young buck and groom him.! If we can find a serviceable starter without a questionable injury history to be a stop gap at an appropriate price so be it. I'm just done with bringing in these vets who are either here to collect 1 last check or get hurt all the time

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
McVay has a double secret plan to move G-Rob to center.

That would be cool...It would be hard to change team allegiance after 50 plus years, but I would have to... I couldn't get my blue font to work on my phone, but I really would be frosted !!!

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Personally, I'd say neither. If I have to choose one, I'm picking Mangold. I'd rather just draft a Center at this point. Of the FAs left, Tim Lelito is an intriguing option.
Interesting
8766.jpg

Tim Lelito | Guard | #68
Team: Unsigned Free Agent
Age / DOB: (27) / 7/21/1989
Ht / Wt: 6'4' / 315
College: Grand Valley State
Contract: view contract details
[x]
2017: Free Agent
Share:

Latest News
Recent News

Free agent G/C Tim Lelito is visiting the Lions on Wednesday.
A 13-game starter at left guard in 2015, Lelito was sent back to the bench last season, making just seven spot starts. He has position versatility, as Lelito played left guard, right tackle, and center last year. In 2015, Lelito was Pro Football Focus' No. 7-ranked run-blocking guard out of 82 qualifiers. Mar 15 - 9:37 AM
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
The New Orleans Advocate reports the Saints have had talks with free agent OL Tim Lelito, but that he's likely to hit the open market.
Lelito's snaps were down last season, but he was a Swiss-army knife, seeing time at tackle, guard and center. Lelito has been effective in the past. Still only 28 (in July), he could be an under-the-radar signing. Lelito is primarily a guard. Mar 2 - 3:53 PM
Source: Nick Underhill on Twitter
Saints re-signed OG Tim Lelito to a one-year, $1.67 million contract.
Lelito made 13 starts in 2015, primarily at left guard. He held his own across 969 total snaps, and will have the inside track on a starting job in training camp. Thu, Apr 21, 2016 10:44:00 AM

Saints restricted free agent OG Tim Lelito said he turned down an offer from the Cowboys.
The Saints extended an original-round tender worth $1.67 million to Lelito prior to free agency. The tender allowed him to look for a better deal elsewhere, but it sounds like he is staying in New Orleans. "You have to weigh your options and it’s a gamble," Lelito said. "So you can go somewhere else and be a backup for a couple years with less money or you can try to go into a one-year tender and do the best you can and hopefully come out with a little better contract after it." A 13-game starter last year, Lelito will compete for a starting job in camp. Mon, Apr 4, 2016 11:17:00 AM
Source: WWL TV
  • Free agent G/C Lelito visiting Lions
    Mar 15 - 9:37 AM
  • Redskins have talked with OL Lelito
    Mar 2 - 3:53 PM
  • Tim Lelito signs RFA tender
    Thu, Apr 21, 2016 10:44:00 AM
  • Tim Lelito turned down offer from Cowboys
    Mon, Apr 4, 2016 11:17:00 AM

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Neither.
Remember veteran center Scott Wells signing !

Nick Mangold has been averaging a near 8 million a season. What cost do you think he will come at? How much lower of a deal do you think he will sign for. Look at his injury list since 2013 and is coming off a injury to an already injured ankle that required surgery earlier this year. Is Nick still rehabbing? Has Nick recovered yet . We know one thing Nick has yet to try that Ankle out as of yet on NFL NT's. So we going to ink a older battered injured center to a good decent amount contract to resolve our center issues? But we all do know all those winning seasons with the Jets will rub off here in LA.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ry-updates-on-jets-centers-ankle-and-recovery

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/nick-mangold-player-injuries

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/03/nick_mangold_jets_release.html

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Well they better get someone in here before the draft because pinning all your plans on a new center by either cross training in house or hopefully getting a starter in the 3rd round is way too sketchy. I do feel they have a plan to sign someone or maybe trade during the draft. If they haven't added someone by the draft, I would cough up a 6th or maybe even a 5th for groy or move up from the 3rd round and grab who they see as the best center in the draft.

By releasing Barnes and whiffing on groy, so far, they have put themselves in a tight spot and may have to overpay but I'd rather overpay some in order to solidify the position.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
That makes 1 of us I'm done with the overpaying stopgap players. We need players without questionable injury history's that are serviceable o line as well. We can't draft/groom a rookie if who he is backing up is hurt were just throwing to the I don't really want to.give
Well they better get someone in here before the draft because pinning all your plans on a new center by either cross training in house or hopefully getting a starter in the 3rd round is way too sketchy. I do feel they have a plan to sign someone or maybe trade during the draft. If they haven't added someone by the draft, I would cough up a 6th or maybe even a 5th for groy or move up from the 3rd round and grab who they see as the best center in the draft.

By releasing Barnes and whiffing on groy, so far, they have put themselves in a tight spot and may have to overpay but I'd rather overpay some in order to solidify the position.

Plus 12...

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
1st .....this question is about Mangold not Mangold as he relates to the Rams.... but I've read nothing that claims it's going to be a chronic ankle injury. ... have you? If so, do you have a link? I am not calling you out.... but if there is actually info ( from a doctor or team official) out there that we should know..... I'd be interested in reading it. If not no worries. ..... ;)

Go Rams......... ;)

I didn't read an article on it but I was listening to ESPN radio for free agency news and they had a guest appearance from a Jets reporter explaining the moves to release Nick Mangold and Brandon Marshall. It was mostly due to cap reasons but he went on to say that Nick had struggled throughout the season with his ankle and it was a reaggrevation which finally put him on IR. He mentioned team doctors were concerned with the slow healing and easy agitation.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We would have to overpay Mangold and he will probably never be the same. He is very injury prone and hasn't played a full season since 2013. Signing him coming off a season ending ankle injury that was recurring throughout his recovery seems like a disaster.

John Sullivan is 31 now and has back issues. He was generally durable and reliable early in his career but it seems that window is closing. The best move is signing someone else.
My Thoughts exactly!!(y)(y)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That makes 1 of us I'm done with the overpaying stopgap players. We need players without questionable injury history's that are serviceable o line as well. We can't draft/groom a rookie if who he is backing up is hurt were just throwing to the wolves
Long wasn't hurt his first year
Whoever they sign in FA is a stop gap unless they draft the one in a million rookie who can start day 1
So yeah, give me 1 year of solid veteran o-line play and slide the rookie in there next year.
#problemsolved

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What makes you think that Groy is the answer?
Kromer coached the kid and if he thought the kid was a day 1 starter penciled in for the next 5 years, they would have offered him that kind of money
They offered him minimum because that's how they value him, and they have 1st hand knowledge