Mangold or Sullivan?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FA Center of choice

• Nick Mangold

• John Sullivan

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
What makes you think that Groy is the answer?
Kromer coached the kid and if he thought the kid was a day 1 starter penciled in for the next 5 years, they would have offered him that kind of money
They offered him minimum because that's how they value him, and they have 1st hand knowledge

I don't know he's the answer but I do know he has a much better nfl work sample than anyone available in the 5th round of the draft so why take the chance. We don't know the plan the bills have for their center and they may have paid even more to match. If they trade for him, the rams may end up getting him cheaper than they would have with their initial offer, had that offer been high enough to make the bills pass on matching

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Anyone know what our next step is? Are the Rams just giving up on trying to find a Center in FA? Or are they still looking?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone know what our next step is? Are the Rams just giving up on trying to find a Center in FA? Or are they still looking?
You'd think it has got to be a priority focus at the moment.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know he's the answer but I do know he has a much better nfl work sample than anyone available in the 5th round of the draft so why take the chance. We don't know the plan the bills have for their center and they may have paid even more to match. If they trade for him, the rams may end up getting him cheaper than they would have with their initial offer, had that offer been high enough to make the bills pass on matching
He's being paid as a swing player, which is what he will play. If he's better than any 5th rounder, why would Buffalo trade him for a 5th rounder?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Long wasn't hurt his first year
Whoever they sign in FA is a stop gap unless they draft the one in a million rookie who can start day 1
So yeah, give me 1 year of solid veteran o-line play and slide the rookie in there next year.
#problemsolved
So overpay for one of 2 guys coming off surgery and hasn't played in the NFL to test the chance of reinjury? Why because that's what we do?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
You ever think maybe they matched because their starting c got injured last year. I truly believe the bill wanted him on the cheap, and let other teams set the market. Market price was in their price range they matched

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Let's see...

Nick Mangold just turned 33 years old.
Has had ankle injuries and re injuries since 2014.
Was compensated to the tune of $8.6 million in '16.

Ummmmm...

Of course I'd pass.

Sullivan? What part of recurring back injuries do we not understand? No way he can be relied upon.

The correct choice was "other".

Another FA and a draft pick seems a MUCH better strategy to me.

The good news? Kromer and McVay know this much better than we do. They'll get us a better C than Barnes was this offseason, one way or another.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I'm not seeing a lot of great opportunities at the moment. This first phase of free agency is looking rather bleak at Center after having now being picked over, we can hope for the next phase where a few guys may shake out following the draft, or more likely after camp cut downs, but that's very risky to rely on. There is always the potential for trade. I can't see our draft proceeding without pulling in a Center at some point. Still, starting a rookie center is a little unnerving wherever he's drafted, especially with what may be an inexperienced RG on his flank named Greg Robinson. It's hard to imagine Rhaney, Brown or Wichmann as starting centers, although one of them could possibly become back-up, seems more likely Rhaney & Wichmann will be competing for a roster spot anywhere among the 53, hopefully those two guys are in some off-season OL/Center boot-camp trying to rescue a future with our team. While a trade may be the best method for immediate improvement, Snead might have to pull a rabbit out of his hat for that to go down. It's not an enviable spot for our team to be in for now, but lets see what management has up their sleeve before full panic mode sets in, ... there is still a long way to go before opening day. jmo.

A55VA6

Legend
I assume they'll draft a guy who can play C/G. I wouldn't rule out a trade for a Center either.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm not seeing a lot of great opportunities at the moment. This first phase of free agency is looking rather bleak at Center after having now being picked over, we can hope for the next phase where a few guys may shake out following the draft, or more likely after camp cut downs, but that's very risky to rely on. There is always the potential for trade. I can't see our draft proceeding without pulling in a Center at some point. Still, starting a rookie center is a little unnerving wherever he's drafted, especially with what may be an inexperienced RG on his flank named Greg Robinson. It's hard to imagine Rhaney, Brown or Wichmann as starting centers, although one of them could possibly become back-up, seems more likely Rhaney & Wichmann will be competing for a roster spot anywhere among the 53, hopefully those two guys are in some off-season OL/Center boot-camp trying to rescue a future with our team. While a trade may be the best method for immediate improvement, Snead might have to pull a rabbit out of his hat for that to go down. It's not an enviable spot for our team to be in for now, but lets see what management has up their sleeve before full panic mode sets in, ... there is still a long way to go before opening day. jmo.
Good points. I haven't done much research but I wonder what the success rate is on rookie Centers coming in and contributing immediately. OLinemen in general seem to take at least 2 years to get up to speed.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I HATE DRAFTING LINEMEN HIGH IN THE DRAFT . That said this year it makes sense to do so with a center . I doub they go after a veteran because they probably want someone young who can grow with Goff. Someone he gets familiar with and someone who can be productive for years without having to make changes . Lets hope they can do something with Tru and get draft picks because it would be nice to add a d back or wr high in the draft

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH

I must preface this post with major Kudos to such a knowledgeable and major leader in such a poster as Riverumbbq. I'm just sitting back wondering why it's such a bad idea to have one of our non-starting OL cross trained by our new OL coach Kromer who is well sought after for McVay's staff and due to his track record of turning players careers around and adding value to a team by drawing an extra ability from players with good backgrounds.

With that very deep draft the RAMS had with 4 OL in it as a desperate effort to address an area in the draft that fish only thought of handling in FA. We drafted 4 guys with very long records of playing time without injury. This of course does'nt address GRob's drafting. I'm just thinking the size of Havenstein,Brown,Donnal & Wichman and the talent not brought forth by our past OL coach . A coach we all thought too highly of obviously. Havenstein as a rookieallowed no sacks and Brown got off to a very nice start to see things go south from there with injuries not sustained in their previous college careers. Nothing major except we must see if Havenstein was not abused and forced to play last season and we can get back the same player we started with except we are aware he lacks bend and a few other traits that maybe coach Kromer can help him with in the Pro game.

Here is the question : Why can't we be MUCH better off with Wichman or Donnal or Brown starting as the starting Center for the Los Angeles RAMS ? The one not starting as chosen by Kromer who can do it the best and not as an afterthought due to not being a starting OG or OT. I think we have the BEEF and the horses of course if GRob pulls his head out of his very dark place he sits on. :whistle: . We can all get over the too tall for center with LSU's center being ridiculously tall in Pocic. I'd prefer Elflein starting for us as our starting center from Ohio State. I think he could be the only center in the draft to be able to truly get the job done given 4 pre-season games. I seriously doubt we can be able to draft him or think we will over BPA and CB/WR's NEEDED. What other plans there are besides another phone call with the Bills seems even more desperate. I personally think we have the guy already on the team. Except not Rhaney period. Get Kromers pick at center in the 4th round at earliest. We have some true talent already here that is not UDFA level. Shalom :hiding:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I must preface this post with major Kudos to such a knowledgeable and major leader in such a poster as Riverumbbq. I'm just sitting back wondering why it's such a bad idea to have one of our non-starting OL cross trained by our new OL coach Kromer who is well sought after for McVay's staff and due to his track record of turning players careers around and adding value to a team by drawing an extra ability from players with good backgrounds.

With that very deep draft the RAMS had with 4 OL in it as a desperate effort to address an area in the draft that fish only thought of handling in FA. We drafted 4 guys with very long records of playing time without injury. This of course does'nt address GRob's drafting. I'm just thinking the size of Havenstein,Brown,Donnal & Wichman and the talent not brought forth by our past OL coach . A coach we all thought too highly of obviously. Havenstein as a rookieallowed no sacks and Brown got off to a very nice start to see things go south from there with injuries not sustained in their previous college careers. Nothing major except we must see if Havenstein was not abused and forced to play last season and we can get back the same player we started with except we are aware he lacks bend and a few other traits that maybe coach Kromer can help him with in the Pro game.

Here is the question : Why can't we be MUCH better off with Wichman or Donnal or Brown starting as the starting Center for the Los Angeles RAMS ? The one not starting as chosen by Kromer who can do it the best and not as an afterthought due to not being a starting OG or OT. I think we have the BEEF and the horses of course if GRob pulls his head out of his very dark place he sits on. :whistle: . We can all get over the too tall for center with LSU's center being ridiculously tall in Pocic. I'd prefer Elflein starting for us as our starting center from Ohio State. I think he could be the only center in the draft to be able to truly get the job done given 4 pre-season games. I seriously doubt we can be able to draft him or think we will over BPA and CB/WR's NEEDED. What other plans there are besides another phone call with the Bills seems even more desperate. I personally think we have the guy already on the team. Except not Rhaney period. Get Kromers pick at center in the 4th round at earliest. We have some true talent already here that is not UDFA level. Shalom :hiding:
I don't doubt that is what happens. I feel positive we go Center by the 4th round in this draft and that guy could easily be the Center of the future as well as play some this year but our starting Center this year? If Kromer is a master mind in development, doesn't it figure a player like Barnes who has familiarity to this QB and team would be a good starting point? I don't mean to say Barnes could suddenly become a Pro Bowler under Kromer but wouldn't he have just as much of a chance as somebody else on the roster that hasn't played Center? How much money did we save by letting Barnes go? Did it make a difference in FA acquisitions? I'm pretty cloudy on the subject and I trust your opinion since you were an OL no? Help a brother out!!!!:thinking:

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Still, starting a rookie center is a little unnerving wherever he's drafted, especially with what may be an inexperienced RG on his flank named Greg Robinson
tumblr_nlc87o2uYf1trjeabo1_500.gif

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
He's being paid as a swing player, which is what he will play. If he's better than any 5th rounder, why would Buffalo trade him for a 5th rounder?

Buffalo now has at least 4 players who can play center so maybe they find themselves wanting a draft pick during the draft. If they feel they can get someone in the third but need our 5th to trade up their 4th, then a backup center may be less important than a potential starting CB.

At any rate, they figure they have options during the draft and they know the rams are interested.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b05c88ad-f2af-4992-9636-bb3f9bf57f8e

First, there are always some released veteran centers near the end of pre season that could be a stop gap addition IF at the end of pre season we are not in the best of shape @ center. If Kromer is not happy with all the youth he has been working with & they desire a older well seasoned vet then this would be the time to land one. No telling what center could shake out.

Second, there is the May draft where Snead/McVay/Kromer could find a few prospects that may resolve our future concerns @ this one post. Years ago centers would usually fall hard but the last 3 or 4 draft centers have gone higher than listed & rated.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/C

Third, there are some centers types signed & on the Ram roster. Demetrius Rhaney who will enter his 4th Ram Training Camp. Rhaney is signed & working cheaply & will sure not cause the Rams budget to explode. That's a positive good point. Rhaney has played in 32 NFL games & started 1 game but has finished 3 other games in the line up.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/demetrius-rhaney-14661/
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/demetrius-rhaney?id=2549991

Kromer also has interior OL David Arkin signed also cheaply, who has worked exclusively at center in TC & pre season for the Dolphins & Cowboys in years back. Arkin was active for 2 late games last season.Tim Barnes is also still available.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/david-arkin-7829/

Besides the two Rams interior OL'ers mentioned above there has been talk of utilizing previous OT's Rob Havenstein or Greg Robinson as interior OL'ers this season to go along with Rodger Saffold, Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal & Cody Wichmann all have may NFL starts among-st them. Thats 8 interior signed under contract OL'ers that are involved inside. 4 or maybe 5 OG's at most will be needed leaving 3 or 4 OL'ers lurking around for a roster spot to move into center as Kromer desires.

Last edited:

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I didn't read an article on it but I was listening to ESPN radio for free agency news and they had a guest appearance from a Jets reporter explaining the moves to release Nick Mangold and Brandon Marshall. It was mostly due to cap reasons but he went on to say that Nick had struggled throughout the season with his ankle and it was a reaggrevation which finally put him on IR. He mentioned team doctors were concerned with the slow healing and easy agitation.
@Ramrasta thank you for the insite.....much appreciated. ..... ;)

Go Rams...... ;)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Thanks for the kind words.
Wichmann has the right size for Kromer/McVay to appreciate, perhaps an off-season of strength training, snapping and learning the calls will be enough, it was reported that Fisher had him apparently doing some practice work at the position last season. As a starter, with a near rookie QB and RG who will also be learning a new job, ... and be learning an entirely new system, it may be a lot to expect. Raw is probably the best way to describe it. Being cross trained is great, you never know about injuries, and Rams fans know quite well how fast an OL can be decimated.
When I mentioned a potential for trade, I wasn't really referring to Groy, that ship has sailed imo, there remains 30 other teams to discuss ways to improve. When I think of what might have been, I keep coming back to our 2013 trade up for Austin which cost us our 2'nd and 1'st, a year where several of us were hoping to trade down, also a year where Travis Frederick went to Dallas late in the 1'st and was severely criticized for it.
With needs at WR, TE, NT, DE, OLB & CB, it's difficult to see where the Rams will project a drafted Center, will it be strictly BPA in the 2'nd, will Elflein or Pocic fall or still be available once we get into the 3'rd, do Kromer/McVay really like someone they see in the 4'th & beyond ? Can they be expected to start, or are they also on the raw side ?
While I wish to cross-train as many offensive linemen as possible, my favorite current scenario is finding that quality older vet to start for a season while a drafted player can learn NFL speed, develop some chemistry with the QB & learn the playbook. Should it work out that way, I have no clue. jmo.

Last edited:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
The bottom line for me is that the rams need to nail down the center position by day two of the draft. I'd like to see them go after who they feel is the best center even if it takes trading up into the 2nd round.

What concerns me, is no FA center followed by a let's hope this mid round prospect can start in September, followed by a training camp of I can't believe the cross training thing didn't pan out leading to the waiver wire.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Buffalo now has at least 4 players who can play center so maybe they find themselves wanting a draft pick during the draft. If they feel they can get someone in the third but need our 5th to trade up their 4th, then a backup center may be less important than a potential starting CB.

At any rate, they figure they have options during the draft and they know the rams are interested.
He can play guard too. Most teams keep back up o-lineman