Malcolm Brown (clavicle) out remainder of regular season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Okay now that I have had to digest the season loss of a Ram who was performing very well @ all phases of his game. He will be missed by our Gurley ....beleive me! Now we have a master roster spot to fill, do we go WWC to find a veteran FB/RB or Blocking H-Back? or dip down into our own grooming PS roster to see who might benefit this team down the stretch? :bueller:I selected my top 3 below.

OL
Rams have only 2 reserve OL'ers currently. Would it be wise to go ahead & lock up the best one our the three PS OL'ers so other teams who are experiencing OL casualties do not get him before us? If I were to go this direction I would bring up OC/OG Aaron Neary who started 3 games in 2018 pre season & started 1 regular season gm in 2017. Neary has been a Ram since Sept. of 2017.

FS/CB
With the consistent downward trending performance of our FS Joyner, should we look into this high safety position? Wade has one FS stashed away in the Rookie UDFA Ramon Richards.
https://draftcobern.wordpress.com/2017/09/01/ramon-richards-scouting-report-tulsa/
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/138509/ramon-richards
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...-ramon-richards-oklahoma-state-2018-nfl-draft

Weakside Interior LB'er

Similar to the problems & issues Wade has seen ongoing @ FS, however the performance of ILB Barron has been several degrees worse than FS Joyner. Snead also signed veteran Ramik Wilson to a 1 yr deal to be the back up. Snead drafted a Weakside ILB'er named Travin Howard late in our last draft. "It’s an interesting pick. Howard was a bit of a flex linebacker/safety hybrid, so he brings some versatility. I do wonder what role the Rams would be looking for him to play on defense, though this could be a special teams play. We know Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel likes linebackers and safeties with speed."Howard was injured very early in OTA's. Howard does have 4.5 speed & is similar to Barron that he has SS size who played LB'er @ TCU. Started for 3 seasons & logged 343 tackles. Known as an undersized linebacker who stands out in coverage and in pursuit.
http://draftanalyst.com/travin-howard
https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2131815/travin-howard
https://ramblinfan.com/2018/04/28/los-angeles-rams-grading-travin-howard-selection-2018-nfl-draft/
http://nfltraderumors.co/rams-sign-lb-lb-travin-howard-to-practice-squad/

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Benny Cunningham can step up for the Rams-Bears game on Sunday.

Aw crap, wrong team...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams' Davis, Kelly ready for chance to back up Todd Gurley
By DAN GREENSPAN
https://apnews.com/2630519722044ceea1760221349dc56c

Los Angeles Rams running backs Justin Davis and John Kelly have been waiting for an opportunity.They did not want it to come because of an injury, but Davis and Kelly are ready to contribute after Malcolm Brown hurt his collarbone against Detroit on Sunday.Coach Sean McVay said Davis, an undrafted free agent from Southern California in his second season, and Kelly, a rookie sixth-round draft pick from Tennessee, will compete to fill Brown’s role backing up Todd Gurley and on special teams.

“We have a lot of confidence in Justin and John to step up, and they’ll be needed to and they’ll be needed to do it in a hurry,” McVay said Wednesday.Davis has carried the ball once in a regular-season game for 1 yard. Kelly has yet to make the active roster on game day. But each expressed a belief he would be able to step in for the steady Brown.

Kelly said he would bring “a little bit of swag” to the offense, while Davis was more reserved.“That’s why I’m on the team, just in case someone goes down. Got to be right there to pick them up,” Davis said. Kelly looked the part of the future complement to Gurley in the preseason by rushing for 197 yards and three touchdowns. Davis has been reliable in all facets of the game, with McVay praising his skills as a complete back.

One will be called upon after Brown had a non-surgical procedure to reset his clavicle and will miss eight to 10 weeks, McVay said.McVay expects Brown will be placed on injured reserve. Such a designation would officially end Brown’s season, as the Rams have already used their two recalls to activate cornerback Aqib Talib and wide receiver Pharoh Cooper off injured reserve.

Brown had 212 yards rushing and five receptions for 52 yards with one touchdown catch this season, in addition to his work on special teams. Despite his limited statistical impact, Brown had the confidence of the Rams to execute the offense with little drop-off from the MVP candidate Gurley.“He’s really been a guy that I’ve been able to rely on and have just as much trust in him as I do in Todd as far as protections and being in the right place at all times, just how smart he is and how good he is as a player with the ball in his hands and everything in-between,” quarterback Jared Goff said. “We’re going to miss him, but those two guys, it gives them a chance to step up and do their thing.”

McVay doesn’t expect to change how he uses Gurley. Gurley has had at least 19 combined carries and catches in all but one game this season, the lone exception being the 54-51 win over Kansas City when he sustained a minor ankle injury.Brown had four carries against the Chiefs, and his most extensive workloads came in blowout wins over Arizona and San Francisco.

Barring an injury to Gurley, Davis or Kelly will be limited to a handful of offensive snaps per game, with most of their activity coming on special teams.“It really won’t change much as far as that approach is concerned,” McVay said. “It’s more along the lines of getting those two guys ready to roll and if they have to play they’ll be ready.”Still, Davis and Kelly must be ready to fulfill every responsibility on offense. That includes pass protection, which takes on added importance this week against Chicago linebacker Khalil Mack.

“Definitely in the NFL if you can’t pass protect, you can’t play in here,” Davis said. “That was a definite focus before I made it to the NFL is pass protection, and I know we’re going against a top-tier defense and that’s got to be a priority.”Whether it is Davis or Kelly that gets the chance to replace Brown, both players have been preparing for this scenario all season long.“Even though I might not touch the ball, I make myself have the mindset that I’m getting the ball every play,” Davis said. “It doesn’t matter, just so I can keep my body ready, keep my mind ready for when my number is called.”

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams' John Kelly and Justin Davis feel prepared to fill the shoes of injured back Malcolm Brown
by Gary Klein

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-report-20181205-story.html

The game-day routine for Rams rookie John Kelly has been the same: Participate in warmups and change into a sweatsuit before kickoff.But on Sunday night, the running back will be active for the first time and could make his NFL debut against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field.

Kelly and second-year pro Justin Davis are stepping in for Malcolm Brown, who doubles as Todd Gurley’s backup and special-teams standout. Brown suffered a clavicle injury in Week 13 against the Detroit Lions and coach Sean McVay said Wednesday that Brown probably would be put on injured reserve.

"My first game, so I’m excited,” said Kelly, a sixth-round draft pick from Tennessee. “We got some big shoes to fill.”How and when Kelly and Davis are deployed will be predicated on the game situation and how they practiced, McVay said.“We have a lot of confidence in Justin and John to step up, and they’ll be needed,” McVay said. “And they’ll be needed to do it in a hurry.” Davis has played on special teams in eight games this season.

The situation this week, Davis said, is exactly what McVay has talked about since he was hired as coach before the 2017 season.“That’s why I’m on the team,” Davis said, “in case somebody goes down, I’ve got to be right there to pick ’em up.”Davis has only one NFL carry. He gained one yard in the 2017 opener against the Indianapolis Colts. The former USC running back said position coach Skip Peete and Gurley and Brown have helped him since his rookie season.“They always make sure I’m on top of my stuff, so nothing changes [on Sunday],” he said. “It’s going to be fun.”That’s how Kelly described the prospect of playing.

During the preseason, Kelly had 197 yards and three touchdowns in 46 carries.“We practice every day preparing to get thrown out there any day, so I’m definitely ready and up for the challenge,” he said. “I know Justin will be too.“Everybody in this offense got confidence in us, so I don’t think there’s that much pressure on us.”Even if called upon to block linebacker Khalil Mack in pass protection?“I ain’t worried about it one bit,” Kelly said. “I’m in this league too. I’m excited for the opportunity to get out there with my boys.”
Etc.
Cornerback Marcus Peters (ankle) was a full participant in walkthroughs, according to the injury report. … Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky (shoulder) was a full participant and is expected to play against the Rams. Trubisky was sidelined the last two games. … McVay, who canceled Monday’s news conference because he was feeling ill, was still hoarse but felt “outstanding,” he said. “Don't let the voice fool you — I feel great,” he said. “There's no excuses coming from me. So, we’re ready to go.” Then, reacting to a tweet that ESPN’s Lindsey Thiry posted last week, he said jokingly, “And I’ve got enough hair gel, all right, for me and [USC’s new offensive coordinator] Kliff Kingsbury.”

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any news on whether Brown is going to be replaced on the 53 man roster for the remainder of the regular season ?

Don't know that they would need another RB right now, but adding one of the three offensive linemen on our practice squad could be helpful. Maybe it's just me, but having only 7 OL on the 53-man roster seems a bit frightening ...

Ramsdude

UDFA
Name
Ramsdude
Bummed to hear this about Brown but at the same time I am excited to see what we have behind him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Any news on whether Brown is going to be replaced on the 53 man roster for the remainder of the regular season ?

Don't know that they would need another RB right now, but adding one of the three offensive linemen on our practice squad could be helpful. Maybe it's just me, but having only 7 OL on the 53-man roster seems a bit frightening ...
Best I know is Malcolm Brown remains on the master roster still. Not sure what's the hold up they said the injury & the healing process would be 8 to 10 weeks. Meaning Brown might be able to play in the Super Bowl on February 3rd, 2019.

Here's my answer I gave last Wednesday.
https://ramsondemand.com/threads/ma...r-of-regular-season.56561/page-4#post-1151312

Last edited: