Mack's Brief 2015 QB Class Breakdown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't always agree with jrry, but he's a good talent evaluator. Bortles ended up being my favorite too, before the draft, but jrry was talking about him crazy early. Props.
Yup, he started on Bortles in 2012, watching his bowl game.
Ok so we agree he knows QB's, but WR? Doesnt know a thing. Who's this "Alshon" guy he was talking about since he was a freshman....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who's your favorite?

It's Winston for me right now. But he's far from flawless. But I've got a ways to go on scouting all these guys still. I also like Connor Cook from Michigan State. Needs to show improvement in his lower body mechanics, composure under pressure, and overall pocket presence/movement but I see a lot of things to like in him as a passer.

But I'm a HUGE pocket presence guy so if he doesn't improve, it'll make it hard for me to endorse him strongly. That's why I like Winston the most. He's just so good at winning in the pocket. Very calm and composed, moves well, doesn't go down easily, and feels pressure well but still maintains eye discipline.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't always agree with jrry, but he's a good talent evaluator. Bortles ended up being my favorite too, before the draft, but jrry was talking about him crazy early. Props.

Thanks man. Just trusted my gut on him, sometimes it's right and sometimes it's wrong.

Yup, he started on Bortles in 2012, watching his bowl game.
Ok so we agree he knows QB's, but WR? Doesnt know a thing. Who's this "Alshon" guy he was talking about since he was a freshman....

We hit on some, miss on others. I just have gotten lucky enough that I've hit on most the guys that I was most vocal about.(allowing my misses to be less memorable) :LOL:

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Thanks man. Just trusted my gut on him, sometimes it's right and sometimes it's wrong.

We hit on some, miss on others. I just have gotten lucky enough that I've hit on most the guys that I was most vocal about.(allowing my misses to be less memorable) :LOL:

It was that much better when you had Jerry Seinfeld picture with that shit eating grin every time you were right.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It's Winston for me right now. But he's far from flawless. But I've got a ways to go on scouting all these guys still. I also like Connor Cook from Michigan State. Needs to show improvement in his lower body mechanics, composure under pressure, and overall pocket presence/movement but I see a lot of things to like in him as a passer.

But I'm a HUGE pocket presence guy so if he doesn't improve, it'll make it hard for me to endorse him strongly. That's why I like Winston the most. He's just so good at winning in the pocket. Very calm and composed, moves well, doesn't go down easily, and feels pressure well but still maintains eye discipline.
For a QB, I'm huge on character. Don't know if he has it. My son lives in the same town as him, and he doesn't speak that great of him as a person. He can play, we know that.

I'll be scouting QB's this year, like I did BB (Before Bradford). I didn't think I'd have to. I usually focus my attention on players that I think the Rams have needs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Cough, cough
Greg Salas
Cough cough

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Winston does seem like "the natural". But also immature and comes with a lot of baggage. Some of that baggage is earned as in the idiotic shoplifting thing but much is not his fault, per se, but media facade (see "jonny football"). That could actually work to our advantage if we are interested and think we can deal with the personality because those concerns will depress his value. Fisher is the kind of coach people would say can deal with him I would think. Im not saying I want him or that the Rams should draft him, I'm just venting my thoughts.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I still cant think of anything that rymes with either jameis or winston.

Connor Cook – Michigan State

Big arm. Excellent touch even on deep balls. Throws a very catchable ball. Wide stance in pocket is worrisome as is his windup. Needs to shorten up his motion. Does a good job of stepping into his throws. Needs little effort to throw the deep ball. Locks onto receivers. I didn’t see any times where he looked off a safety or went through a progression. Needs to get rid of the ball a little faster. Not the best pocket awareness and not very nimble in the pocket. Very much a pocket QB.

Just started my "scouting", started with Cook, one of my favourite players from the back end of last season, when I was just enjoying him as a college player rather than a prospect, love his arm great talent. Pretty much agree with the rest of your assessment, although he did look off a safety, rifled it in there for an excellent TD (although that's just one play). I question his decision making, a couple of times he threw it right at the DB, not great when the pocket breaks down. But if he can figure out the mental side of the game then I'd take him as our QBotf in a heart beat.

duckhunter

Starter
As the Winston ordeal was played out in the press last year and I heard new info on Winston, I became disenchanted with him. But as I watched him play, it was hard to ignore his success, abilities etc. I'm just awaiting more info on this guy. As with any of these guys, they will make their own paydays one way or the other.

Here's some general thoughts on our current QB predicament. Good luck Hill. It's your chance to shine. I'm not so concerned to have a top 10 pick. But I do want one earlier than the 6th round and expected something earlier last year based off the SB injury risk uncertainties. If we're going to trade up in the 2nd for a CB then it's hard to stomach not doing the same or similar for a QB under any risk assessment program. We had two CB starters returning and two so so CB subs. As a developmental QB, Davis was questionable at best at draft time. Unless Davis or Gilbert shows something between now and next year, we loose a year in developing a young gun in addition to our top QB being a heavy risk.

Many believe our window of super success is open now (kudos to management) but can close quickly as we lose players to FA. Heck, with a high 3rd rounder as a developmental QB, NE drafts Garippolo in the 2nd. Let's hope we don't fritter away our opportunity here because we are asking a game manager to get us to the big show.

I'm also not insistent to have a rookie QB start from the get go. In the old days coaches routinely gave them a little time to develop. Half the season or even a year might seem long today but not at all 30-40 years ago. Each case and hence coaches should determine the timeline according to the situation.

From my perspective, this is probably the most pertinent long term topic. As for this year, either our guys step up or we've been there.

AZRamsFan93

Marcus Mariotta – Oregon

Read option QB. So…no. Very fast, but so were Vick and RGIII. He’s basically Vick with less arm. I worry about his mechanics. The ball never seems to come from the same place twice. Because he’s always moving, I don’t see him set his feet, even in the pocket, and it’s not the same as Peyton’s “happy feet”. He may have a big NFL career, but even at first glance, I could tell that his mechanics are going to require some work at the next level.

Jameis Winston – Florida State

Just…NO. Someone else can evaluate him because he’s a franchise killer. I live in Florida and the accounts that haven’t made the national news would have red flagged most any other player. So…no. He’s just got TURD all over him.

Brett Hundley – UCLA

I’m gonna need a minute… This. Is. The. Guy. Mark it down. If you wanna call him a young Steve McNair, okay. I just see a kid with a strong arm, very accurate, great touch, great sell on the play action (sometimes his keeper is so good, he fakes out the broadcasters), great pump fake, love his footwork, throwing motion you could fit in a phonebooth, can run, but doesn’t look to… has great pocket presence. Bottom line: This young man takes the Rams at the least to the playoffs as a rookie. Period. If not the Super Bowl. He’s EXTRAORDINARY. With this team. Oooooooooooh. I hope the whole country gets Mariota fever and the rest of the QBs have outstanding seasons and maybe UCLA loses a few tough games so maybe this cat slides a smidge because he’s the Franchise Real Deal. I’m pounding the table for this kid NOW.(NOTE: As a UCLA fan (I was born at UCLA hospital while my mom was a student there so I’m a “born Bruin” if you will), I will admit a twinge of bias. That said, if Hundley stunk, I’d be only too willing to admit it. When it comes to banging the table for ANY player, I make sure, so I watched some extra on him to ensure I wasn’t missing anything. I wasn’t. But I wanted to be clear of where I was coming from)

Anyone have any other QBs? Lemme know. Glad to hear feedback as well. Remember, this is just a first blush, I didn’t exactly spend hours on each guy.

Mariota reminds me of Colin Kaepernick's smart younger brother. This kid has a cannon arm, awesome speed, and a big brain. We will never get him because he will go #1 overall (if healthy), unless Winston comes out (and doesn't go to jail). Winston has an amazing arm and great size.

I like Hundley - he comes from my hometown here in AZ. He is a good talent but throws some REALLY bad interceptions. I question his decision making, but he could mature.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not cool.

ShaneFalco

2016 Year of the Mauk

Cotton-Bowl_06.jpg

StLouieRam

UDFA
@Mackeyser What are your thoughts on Jeff Driskel from Florida? I'm hearing with a big year he could shoot up the draft boards. I like Driskel from a raw tools standpoint 6'4 238 but he isn't a pocket guy though, he's a little too quick to scramble and due to injury (fibula) hasn't seen the field much. Not sure if he'll come out this year though.

I don't watch any college football but it looks like I'm going to start this year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeff Driskel - Florida

Bit of a windup. Concerned about his velocity. I have doubts that he can throw a deep out at the NFL level when that ball needs to be there lickety split or it's going the other way. Relatively compact throwing motion, but windup negates that at times. I don't mean to harp, but the velocity is an issue. I can see him maybe being a backup at the NFL issue or transitioning to a WCO, but I'm not sure he transitions to the next level well.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Jeff Driskel - Florida

Bit of a windup. Concerned about his velocity. I have doubts that he can throw a deep out at the NFL level when that ball needs to be there lickety split or it's going the other way. Relatively compact throwing motion, but windup negates that at times. I don't mean to harp, but the velocity is an issue. I can see him maybe being a backup at the NFL issue or transitioning to a WCO, but I'm not sure he transitions to the next level well.
I'm trying to teach my 10 year old grand nephew about a compact, and quick release...he hates me, because I bust him every time he screws up. It IS a big deal though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jeff Driskel - Florida

The Jeff Driskel that has played thus far in his career is no NFL QB. He needs significant improvement just to be drafted imo.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Keep an eye out for Taylor Kelly from Arizona State. Not getting the pub in the crowded PAC 12.

There are some flaws and things he needs to work on like his arm strength but has proved year over year. Looking to see if there is continued improvement this year.

He is a good decision maker, pocket passer who can use his legs when the pocket breaks down, kind of Russell Wilson ish.

His game reminds me a lot of Wilson except maybe takes a few more chances. Nice quick delivery and release and make quick decisions.

He is a guy worth watching and has put up some nice numbers and won some big games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keep an eye out for Taylor Kelly from Arizona State. Not getting the pub in the crowded PAC 12.

There are some flaws and things he needs to work on like his arm strength but has proved year over year. Looking to see if there is continued improvement this year.

He is a good decision maker, pocket passer who can use his legs when the pocket breaks down, kind of Russell Wilson ish.

His game reminds me a lot of Wilson except maybe takes a few more chances. Nice quick delivery and release and make quick decisions.

He is a guy worth watching and has put up some nice numbers and won some big games.

I've heard good things about him. He'll be a guy I look into for sure. :)