Mack's Brief 2015 QB Class Breakdown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't see it in my first few games with Hundley, but I'll go back and watch some more. Agreed on Hogan, that kid is the franchise if he can shorten his throwing motion. Heck, even if he doesn't Phillip Rivers has that ugly release and it works for him just fine.

Rivers's motion works because it's ugly AND fast. Also keep in mind that Rivers sat for a few years coming into the NFL.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cody Fajardo - Nevada

Pistol QB. Red flag for me. You just don't see QBs who run the Pistol go on to success. The Pistol really, really inflates stats. Decent footwork, good pocket presence, decent throwing motion, reasonably compact. Velocity is okay short and medium. Limited arm. With development, could be a decent backup in the NFL.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Would you say Hundleys as good as Mark Harmon?

I like Hundley BETTER than Aikman coming out in large part because Hundley is better in the pocket and because Aikman required so many reps to groove something (of course, once he did, he was golden).

So, yeah. I definitely like Hundley better than Harmon. Good question, though. Harmon was underrated coming out and I honestly think he could have been a pretty good NFL QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is my first blush pass at College QBs. If anyone knows of a QB that you’d like me to take a look at, lemme know and I’ll hunt down some footage and put up my take on him. I enjoy breaking down footage and my backs just killing me right now…so, why not?

Marcus Mariotta – Oregon

Read option QB. So…no. Very fast, but so were Vick and RGIII. He’s basically Vick with less arm. I worry about his mechanics. The ball never seems to come from the same place twice. Because he’s always moving, I don’t see him set his feet, even in the pocket, and it’s not the same as Peyton’s “happy feet”. He may have a big NFL career, but even at first glance, I could tell that his mechanics are going to require some work at the next level.

I feel the same way but I'll limit it to an extent. That is a by product of his offense which stresses getting the ball out quickly.

There are concerns with Mariota, namely the poor lower body mechanics and his questionable pocket presence but it's hard to turn down a guy with his size, speed, and arm strength...especially with the decision making and accuracy he flashes.

That all said, he's a tough guy to project. He's a risky pick.

Sean Mannion – Oregon State

Not the shortest throwing motion, so balls get away from him. I suspect that some of that may be the college ball. He didn’t look like he had the biggest hands to me which, again, would explain the motion. That can be fixed at the next level as the pro ball is narrower and allows for more compact mechanics. Decent velocity and range. Not the biggest arm, but nice touch.

Kevin Hogan – Stanford

What’s not to like about this kid? He’s got the Peyton feet, he steps into his throws nicely, he’s got good velocity, good touch, good accuracy, good vision. It’s all good, right? Oh, wait. There’s that ghastly wind up. It’s not a show stopper, but egad its a HUGE windup. Once he gets the throwing motion nice and compact, there’s nothing about this kid not to like. Love? I dunno. But I could see a guy like Hogan doing very well for the Rams.

As it stands now, the throwing motions are pretty close to deal-breakers for me on both players. Both need to show improved mechanics in 2014. Even then, I don't see myself endorsing Mannion unless the guy is just incredible.

Jameis Winston – Florida State

Just…NO. Someone else can evaluate him because he’s a franchise killer. I live in Florida and the accounts that haven’t made the national news would have red flagged most any other player. So…no. He’s just got TURD all over him.

Winston's throwing motion is problematic...less so than the others, though, and I think it's fixable. That all said, I think you're making a mistake here. Obviously, teams will have to do their due diligence on Winston's character.

Still, based on what I've heard, Ben Roethlisberger was a pretty big turd too back in the day. I think Winston is a lot like Roethlisberger in terms of ability on the field and character off.

I believe very strongly in this kid as a QB. He's one of those guys that you can tell puts the time in mentally, just seems to process things quickly and understands advanced concepts. Additionally, he's big, athletic, and has a strong arm. His accuracy was inconsistent at times as a freshman...but considering he was a freshman, it was pretty exceptional for his age.

I don't disagree that the kid might be a turd off the field but on the field, he's a franchise QB in the making. You just gotta hope that he won't let one interfere with the other.

Brett Hundley – UCLA

I’m gonna need a minute… This. Is. The. Guy. Mark it down. If you wanna call him a young Steve McNair, okay. I just see a kid with a strong arm, very accurate, great touch, great sell on the play action (sometimes his keeper is so good, he fakes out the broadcasters), great pump fake, love his footwork, throwing motion you could fit in a phonebooth, can run, but doesn’t look to… has great pocket presence. Bottom line: This young man takes the Rams at the least to the playoffs as a rookie. Period. If not the Super Bowl. He’s EXTRAORDINARY. With this team. Oooooooooooh. I hope the whole country gets Mariota fever and the rest of the QBs have outstanding seasons and maybe UCLA loses a few tough games so maybe this cat slides a smidge because he’s the Franchise Real Deal. I’m pounding the table for this kid NOW.(NOTE: As a UCLA fan (I was born at UCLA hospital while my mom was a student there so I’m a “born Bruin” if you will), I will admit a twinge of bias. That said, if Hundley stunk, I’d be only too willing to admit it. When it comes to banging the table for ANY player, I make sure, so I watched some extra on him to ensure I wasn’t missing anything. I wasn’t. But I wanted to be clear of where I was coming from)

You know, thus far in his career, Hundley hasn't done it for me. He reminds me of Jake Locker to this point. Has all the physical talent in the world but just doesn't put it together in the way he should consistently. That can very well change. And if it does, I'm with you here. But I'm worried about Hundley, he strikes me as one of those Jake Locker, Jay Cutler, Matt Stafford types that has the physical talent to be great but is never able to channel it into greatness.

For me to buy it on him, I need to see consistent mechanics, consistent accuracy, and a better understanding/reading of defenses. I just worry that he doesn't process things well. Which is the issue with aforementioned three imo.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I like Hundley BETTER than Aikman coming out in large part because Hundley is better in the pocket and because Aikman required so many reps to groove something (of course, once he did, he was golden).

So, yeah. I definitely like Hundley better than Harmon. Good question, though. Harmon was underrated coming out and I honestly think he could have been a pretty good NFL QB.
Harmon did ok for himself.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Hundley looks good. However two things, I would like to see him slide more and takes more snaps from center.

reggae

This is my first blush pass at College QBs. If anyone knows of a QB that you’d like me to take a look at, lemme know and I’ll hunt down some footage and put up my take on him. I enjoy breaking down footage and my backs just killing me right now…so, why not?

Marcus Mariotta – Oregon

Read option QB. So…no. Very fast, but so were Vick and RGIII. He’s basically Vick with less arm. I worry about his mechanics. The ball never seems to come from the same place twice. Because he’s always moving, I don’t see him set his feet, even in the pocket, and it’s not the same as Peyton’s “happy feet”. He may have a big NFL career, but even at first glance, I could tell that his mechanics are going to require some work at the next level.

Sean Mannion – Oregon State

Not the shortest throwing motion, so balls get away from him. I suspect that some of that may be the college ball. He didn’t look like he had the biggest hands to me which, again, would explain the motion. That can be fixed at the next level as the pro ball is narrower and allows for more compact mechanics. Decent velocity and range. Not the biggest arm, but nice touch.

Kevin Hogan – Stanford

What’s not to like about this kid? He’s got the Peyton feet, he steps into his throws nicely, he’s got good velocity, good touch, good accuracy, good vision. It’s all good, right? Oh, wait. There’s that ghastly wind up. It’s not a show stopper, but egad its a HUGE windup. Once he gets the throwing motion nice and compact, there’s nothing about this kid not to like. Love? I dunno. But I could see a guy like Hogan doing very well for the Rams.

Connor Cook – Michigan State

Big arm. Excellent touch even on deep balls. Throws a very catchable ball. Wide stance in pocket is worrisome as is his windup. Needs to shorten up his motion. Does a good job of stepping into his throws. Needs little effort to throw the deep ball. Locks onto receivers. I didn’t see any times where he looked off a safety or went through a progression. Needs to get rid of the ball a little faster. Not the best pocket awareness and not very nimble in the pocket. Very much a pocket QB.

Jameis Winston – Florida State

Just…NO. Someone else can evaluate him because he’s a franchise killer. I live in Florida and the accounts that haven’t made the national news would have red flagged most any other player. So…no. He’s just got TURD all over him.

Brett Hundley – UCLA

I’m gonna need a minute… This. Is. The. Guy. Mark it down. If you wanna call him a young Steve McNair, okay. I just see a kid with a strong arm, very accurate, great touch, great sell on the play action (sometimes his keeper is so good, he fakes out the broadcasters), great pump fake, love his footwork, throwing motion you could fit in a phonebooth, can run, but doesn’t look to… has great pocket presence. Bottom line: This young man takes the Rams at the least to the playoffs as a rookie. Period. If not the Super Bowl. He’s EXTRAORDINARY. With this team. Oooooooooooh. I hope the whole country gets Mariota fever and the rest of the QBs have outstanding seasons and maybe UCLA loses a few tough games so maybe this cat slides a smidge because he’s the Franchise Real Deal. I’m pounding the table for this kid NOW.(NOTE: As a UCLA fan (I was born at UCLA hospital while my mom was a student there so I’m a “born Bruin” if you will), I will admit a twinge of bias. That said, if Hundley stunk, I’d be only too willing to admit it. When it comes to banging the table for ANY player, I make sure, so I watched some extra on him to ensure I wasn’t missing anything. I wasn’t. But I wanted to be clear of where I was coming from)

Anyone have any other QBs? Lemme know. Glad to hear feedback as well. Remember, this is just a first blush, I didn’t exactly spend hours on each guy.
I'm a big Bruins fam. To me though, Hundley looks stiff in his mechnics. Then again, so do Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers.

TShram03

UDFA
No mention of Bryce Petty?

Worries are that he's a system quarterback. Understandable.

Prototype size, body, arm. Athleticism is well above average. Not sure on accuracy and ability in a pro system. Will watch him closely this season to see how he looks off safeties, makes anticipatory throws, leads his team, etc.

If he shows well with those traits he might top my list.

LOVE Hundley's athletic package, but have to admit I haven't watched enough of him and for some reason my "uneducated" bias is somewhat negative re: his pro prospects.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No mention of Bryce Petty?

Worries are that he's a system quarterback. Understandable.

Prototype size, body, arm. Athleticism is well above average. Not sure on accuracy and ability in a pro system. Will watch him closely this season to see how he looks off safeties, makes anticipatory throws, leads his team, etc.

If he shows well with those traits he might top my list.
Sold.

That's my son's name.

fancents86

Starter
I'm gonna say forget looking for top qb prospects and work with what we have in Austin Davis. How many people expected him to have excelled so much since last preseason? Imagine what he can do with another year under his belt.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Taylor Heinicke from Old Dominion. Don't know much on him other than his 730 yard game. Looking for an opinion.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'm gonna say forget looking for top qb prospects and work with what we have in Austin Davis. How many people expected him to have excelled so much since last preseason? Imagine what he can do with another year under his belt.

Well, it sorta depends. If you'll recall the "QB draft of '83" there were something like 7 QBs taken in the first round, Marino was the last, after Todd Blackledge. Not saying the next draft will be like that, but it looks like it could have a bumper crop of talent and contrary to popular belief, not every team needs a QB nor will every team agree on each player. I mean, Dan Marino is arguably the greatest QB of all time not named Johnny Unitas (throwing for over 5k yards in 1984 is akin to throwing for 7000 yards in today's NFL. You have to remember that in 1984, a 3000 yard season was considered a VERY good year by a QB.

So, you don't HAVE to be drafting top 3 to get your franchise QB

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, it sorta depends. If you'll recall the "QB draft of '83" there were something like 7 QBs taken in the first round, Marino was the last, after Todd Blackledge. Not saying the next draft will be like that, but it looks like it could have a bumper crop of talent and contrary to popular belief, not every team needs a QB nor will every team agree on each player. I mean, Dan Marino is arguably the greatest QB of all time not named Johnny Unitas (throwing for over 5k yards in 1984 is akin to throwing for 7000 yards in today's NFL. You have to remember that in 1984, a 3000 yard season was considered a VERY good year by a QB.

So, you don't HAVE to be drafting top 3 to get your franchise QB

Agreed. Just need the right coaches, great talent evaluation and the confidence to choose a guy that fits your system.

Aaron Rodgers, arguably the best QB in the NFL, was picked in the 20s. Teddy Bridgewater, who I believe will be a good NFL QB, was picked at #32 last year.

Sometimes, QBs will fall unexpectedly or for questionable reasons. If a decent number of the underclassmen come out, we might have a shot at a good one. Just have to pick the right guy. I'll let you all know who that is in April. ;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's probably a great idea for him because he's got so many red flags around him now, he needs the extra year to rehab his image...

I think you are correct and in the 2016 draft I bet Hackenburg is taken before Winston because of those flags, despite attempts to cleanup the image.

reggae

Nick Marshall - Auburn

Nice feet and not just running. Good balance. Steps into throws. Nice, compact throwing motion. Nice touch. Throws a catchable ball. Decent arm, but concerned about his velocity, especially on his deep ball.
Never take a SEC QB. My life rule.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well, I'm all over Hundley from UCLA, so you're safe with me. Now the Snisher is one with the SEC fetish...

Edit: Hundley. I left out Hundley...LOL.

I said "I'm all over, so..." made no sense at all

Last edited: