Mack's Brief 2015 QB Class Breakdown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
Well, I'm all over, so you're safe with me. Now the Snisher is one with the SEC fetish...
Well, it's better to be enamored with the best conference in college football than West Texas A&M. Even though against all odds, we've actually gotten some pretty good football players out of there with both regimes lol.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I meant to say "I'm all over Hundley from UCLA, so...":doh:

TShram03

UDFA
One thing to remember, too, is the brain trust making the pick.

Influenced heavily by Fisher's principles, cores and philosophies, the Rams QB board will be stacked that way.

((**Editor's note: Which is why I wonder--maybe doubt--that Mariota weigh heavily on Rams board. The elite skills in his game are better suited to a different system.**))

Fisher has coveted, or chosen, two different QB archetypes in his career to build around. Steve McNair and Sam Bradford.

McNair = big-bodied, functionally athletic, ball-control + physically imposing playmaker
Bradford = big-bodied, functionally athletic, ball-control + high-level arm talent

I see Jameis, Hogan, Hundley matching the McNair archetype. I see Petty in the Bradford archetype (call it the Big 12 Spread Bias). Based on how the Bradford experiment is apparently ending, I would guess this group will look closer at another McNair.

Too bad Hackenberg isn't in this class. Good lord, he's a hybrid of both.

He'd make all the post-GSOT era horrors well worth it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jameis is a knucklehead of the first order. If he cleans things up enough, he'll be way out of our price range.

Hogan is a classic pocket passer. Hasn't been a good one since Luck, so there'll be a premium on him. He projects very well to the NFL, even with that bit of a windup he's got. It's not huge, but he'll have to work on shortening up that delivery.

Hundley does look like McNair a bit. I can see the Rams really eyeballing him. The only thing that the Rams have in their favor is Pac12 bias. Usually, unless a Pac12 player just blows the lid off things (or they play for USC, Stanford or Oregon), they don't get the benefit of the doubt. So there's the chance that Hundley slips a bit with scouts saying he should stay another year. Not that I would expect him to fall too far. Still, if the Rams are as successful as we hope for them to be, I seriously doubt we have a chance at him unless he gets dinged a bit at the end of the season and requires a bit of recovery time.

Ramway

UDFA
This is my first blush pass at College QBs. If anyone knows of a QB that you’d like me to take a look at, lemme know and I’ll hunt down some footage and put up my take on him. I enjoy breaking down footage and my backs just killing me right now…so, why not?

Marcus Mariotta – Oregon

Read option QB. So…no. Very fast, but so were Vick and RGIII. He’s basically Vick with less arm. I worry about his mechanics. The ball never seems to come from the same place twice. Because he’s always moving, I don’t see him set his feet, even in the pocket, and it’s not the same as Peyton’s “happy feet”. He may have a big NFL career, but even at first glance, I could tell that his mechanics are going to require some work at the next level.

Sean Mannion – Oregon State

Not the shortest throwing motion, so balls get away from him. I suspect that some of that may be the college ball. He didn’t look like he had the biggest hands to me which, again, would explain the motion. That can be fixed at the next level as the pro ball is narrower and allows for more compact mechanics. Decent velocity and range. Not the biggest arm, but nice touch.

Kevin Hogan – Stanford

What’s not to like about this kid? He’s got the Peyton feet, he steps into his throws nicely, he’s got good velocity, good touch, good accuracy, good vision. It’s all good, right? Oh, wait. There’s that ghastly wind up. It’s not a show stopper, but egad its a HUGE windup. Once he gets the throwing motion nice and compact, there’s nothing about this kid not to like. Love? I dunno. But I could see a guy like Hogan doing very well for the Rams.

Connor Cook – Michigan State

Big arm. Excellent touch even on deep balls. Throws a very catchable ball. Wide stance in pocket is worrisome as is his windup. Needs to shorten up his motion. Does a good job of stepping into his throws. Needs little effort to throw the deep ball. Locks onto receivers. I didn’t see any times where he looked off a safety or went through a progression. Needs to get rid of the ball a little faster. Not the best pocket awareness and not very nimble in the pocket. Very much a pocket QB.

Jameis Winston – Florida State

Just…NO. Someone else can evaluate him because he’s a franchise killer. I live in Florida and the accounts that haven’t made the national news would have red flagged most any other player. So…no. He’s just got TURD all over him.

Brett Hundley – UCLA

I’m gonna need a minute… This. Is. The. Guy. Mark it down. If you wanna call him a young Steve McNair, okay. I just see a kid with a strong arm, very accurate, great touch, great sell on the play action (sometimes his keeper is so good, he fakes out the broadcasters), great pump fake, love his footwork, throwing motion you could fit in a phonebooth, can run, but doesn’t look to… has great pocket presence. Bottom line: This young man takes the Rams at the least to the playoffs as a rookie. Period. If not the Super Bowl. He’s EXTRAORDINARY. With this team. Oooooooooooh. I hope the whole country gets Mariota fever and the rest of the QBs have outstanding seasons and maybe UCLA loses a few tough games so maybe this cat slides a smidge because he’s the Franchise Real Deal. I’m pounding the table for this kid NOW.(NOTE: As a UCLA fan (I was born at UCLA hospital while my mom was a student there so I’m a “born Bruin” if you will), I will admit a twinge of bias. That said, if Hundley stunk, I’d be only too willing to admit it. When it comes to banging the table for ANY player, I make sure, so I watched some extra on him to ensure I wasn’t missing anything. I wasn’t. But I wanted to be clear of where I was coming from)

Anyone have any other QBs? Lemme know. Glad to hear feedback as well. Remember, this is just a first blush, I didn’t exactly spend hours on each guy.

In my opinion, Hundley would be the best choice. I watched some of his games last year and love the way he leads the team. I bet he won't last until the Rams pick. May have to trade up to get him, because he is the real deal.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Good post by OP, great work, I agree about GH being damn good. I like The kid from Oregon but haven't seen him enough I guess.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Out of that group. I like Peyton and nobody else

Eli has helped his team win two Super Bowls and was a top 10 QB before declining. Cam Newton is on the ascension and is one of the most talented QBs in the NFL. Stafford and Cutler aren't great but they're not bad either.

Your life rule is flawed. Greatly flawed. You would have passed up a HOF QB and multiple potential franchise QBs for no good reason.

fancents86

Starter
Well, it sorta depends. If you'll recall the "QB draft of '83" there were something like 7 QBs taken in the first round, Marino was the last, after Todd Blackledge. Not saying the next draft will be like that, but it looks like it could have a bumper crop of talent and contrary to popular belief, not every team needs a QB nor will every team agree on each player. I mean, Dan Marino is arguably the greatest QB of all time not named Johnny Unitas (throwing for over 5k yards in 1984 is akin to throwing for 7000 yards in today's NFL. You have to remember that in 1984, a 3000 yard season was considered a VERY good year by a QB.

So, you don't HAVE to be drafting top 3 to get your franchise QB
Soooo...wouldn't that kind of go under what I was saying? Davis wasn't a top prospect, but did good in college, broke almost all if Favre's records, and looking at how far he's come i say we may have something already.

ausmurp

Starter
I mentioned this in another thread, but how about Nick Marshall? If he continues to ascend and add more passing elements to his unquestioned natural athletic ability, he could make a lot of noise. Read option element might do this team some good

No way. Like Braxton Miller, Marshall cannot throw the ball at all. He will not make it as a QB in the NFL...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I've watched every snap that he's taken, and I like him for this team. Jim Mora raves about him as a player, his learning curve, and about what a great young man he is. He'd be my choice, if I had the choice to get him. Mora says he thinks he'll be better than Vick.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ

I looked at some of the video of Sean Mannion.
He has good pocket awareness and keeps his eyes down the field. Just needs to get the ball a little quicker at times.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've watched every snap that he's taken, and I like him for this team. Jim Mora raves about him as a player, his learning curve, and about what a great young man he is. He'd be my choice, if I had the choice to get him. Mora says he thinks he'll be better than Vick.

Is that really saying much? Vick was a poor passer with Mora. Hundley doesn't have Vick's caliber of physical tools, though.

My concern with Hundley isn't whether he can be a better passer than Vick so much as whether he'll be a better passer than guys like Jay Cutler and Matt Stafford. Because I see the same sort of inconsistencies in his game that those guys suffer from.

But he has time to fix it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Connor Halliday, WSU? Decent size for a Mike Leach Air Raid QB. Probably will lead the nation in passing yardage this year

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Is that really saying much? Vick was a poor passer with Mora. Hundley doesn't have Vick's caliber of physical tools, though.

My concern with Hundley isn't whether he can be a better passer than Vick so much as whether he'll be a better passer than guys like Jay Cutler and Matt Stafford. Because I see the same sort of inconsistencies in his game that those guys suffer from.

But he has time to fix it.
Well, the way he said it, was that he has way more upside, and is farther ahead of Vick early in his career with a thirst to be the best. In that way. I agree with you about some of his problems, but I still like him a lot. I'd say Hundley runs about a 4.5 to 4.6, so, no he's not close to Vick, but he's more of a passer, and had good size. I've seen him take some hard licks, and seen him play through some pain. I don't think he is ready, but we'll see after this year. Bryce Petty throws a great deep ball. Overall, there are a few guys that I like, and I think this is a better class than this years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, the way he said it, was that he has way more upside, and is farther ahead of Vick early in his career with a thirst to be the best. In that way. I agree with you about some of his problems, but I still like him a lot. I'd say Hundley runs about a 4.5 to 4.6, so, no he's not close to Vick, but he's more of a passer, and had good size. I've seen him take some hard licks, and seen him play through some pain. I don't think he is ready, but we'll see after this year. Bryce Petty throws a great deep ball. Overall, there are a few guys that I like, and I think this is a better class than this years.

Can't dispute that. Vick was undeveloped as a passer in college and didn't have the passion/work ethic to become great in the NFL.

I think this class has a lot of potential too if the right guys declare. It's full of physical specimens.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Can't dispute that. Vick was undeveloped as a passer in college and didn't have the passion/work ethic to become great in the NFL.

I think this class has a lot of potential too if the right guys declare. It's full of physical specimens.
Who's your favorite?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
What does Jrry know? Last QB he came up with was some nobody named Bordles or something like that....
I don't always agree with jrry, but he's a good talent evaluator. Bortles ended up being my favorite too, before the draft, but jrry was talking about him crazy early. Props.