Losing out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
The run game sucks because as soon as the ball is snapped there's three d lineman in the backfield
That too, but defenses can key on the run because they have zero fear of the pass. That allows them to sell out more on stopping the run allowing them to get in the backfield quickly. If we can just get Gurley some running lanes he will kill defenses.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Does anyone know if we end up tied with teams like Balt,Det,SF and so on.Do we get the tiebreaker if we lost to them or does it still go by SOS?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
That too, but defenses can key on the run because they have zero fear of the pass. That allows them to sell out more on stopping the run allowing them to get in the backfield quickly. If we can just get Gurley some running lanes he will kill defenses.
It also doesn't help that they run on every freaking first down! My dog could call defenses against them!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well, actually, kind of.

Lynch's production other than his freshman year isn't all that different from Big Ben's and Lynch led a perennial loser in Memphis to 10 wins last year and 9 wins so far this year. But I wouldn't say Roethlisberger is his comparison.

As for Rivers and Goff...well, yes actually. That sounds about right. Goff is a 3 year starter that excelled behind a bad OL. Outstanding pocket presence, touch, and accuracy. Has a lot in common with Rivers. But yea, he does need to add some weight.

Goff's strengths perfectly fit a NFL offense.

@jrry32 Did you watch Phillip Rivers in college? Or are you basing your opinion on stats?

In the games I watched, I remember watching Rivers stand firm in the pocket and take some shots to make a play. Shots that would break Goff in half if he took them. And while sometimes coming off as a jerk, you could tell he was a strong leader. I don't know about Goff leadershipwise. But, do they really sound like the same type of player?

Probably won't happen, and it won't help the Rams, but IMO, Goff needs to stay in school, develop his body, and stay 4 years live Rivers did.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
Well, actually, kind of.

Lynch's production other than his freshman year isn't all that different from Big Ben's and Lynch led a perennial loser in Memphis to 10 wins last year and 9 wins so far this year. But I wouldn't say Roethlisberger is his comparison.

As for Rivers and Goff...well, yes actually. That sounds about right. Goff is a 3 year starter that excelled behind a bad OL. Outstanding pocket presence, touch, and accuracy. Has a lot in common with Rivers. But yea, he does need to add some weight.

Goff's strengths perfectly fit a NFL offense.
How about Wentz, he should be a second round, maybe early 3rd
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How about Wentz, he should be a second round, maybe early 3rd
train

Wentz? Depends on how he does at the Senior Bowl. If he tears it up, I think he's a 1st round pick. If he struggles a bit, 2nd round seems about right. He needs development but has a ton of tools and the right sort of intangibles.

@jrry32 Did you watch Phillip Rivers in college? Or are you basing your opinion on stats?

In the games I watched, I remember watching Rivers stand firm in the pocket and take some shots to make a play. Shots that would break Goff in half if he took them. And while sometimes coming off as a jerk, you could tell he was a strong leader. I don't know about Goff leadershipwise. But, do they really sound like the same type of player?

Probably won't happen, and it won't help the Rams, but IMO, Goff needs to stay in school, develop his body, and stay 4 years live Rivers did.

I've seen Goff take a number of massive shots behind that porous Cal OL. This sort of comment reminds me of the people that claimed Tavon Austin wouldn't be able to do anything in the NFL because he'd get broken in half by hits.

Nope. Didn't watch Rivers in college. It's irrelevant to the point. Because my basis for comparison is with NFL Rivers.

Goff needs to go to the NFL. He'll have a better opportunity to develop his body in the pros and won't take a beating behind a bad OL before he's getting paid. It's terrible advice telling a first round pick to return to school. Especially a guy not playing in a pro style system.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I've seen Goff take a number of massive shots behind that porous Cal OL. This sort of comment reminds me of the people that claimed Tavon Austin wouldn't be able to do anything in the NFL because he'd get broken in half by hits.

Nope. Didn't watch Rivers in college. It's irrelevant to the point. Because my basis for comparison is with NFL Rivers.

Goff needs to go to the NFL. He'll have a better opportunity to develop his body in the pros and won't take a beating behind a bad OL before he's getting paid. It's terrible advice telling a first round pick to return to school. Especially a guy not playing in a pro style system.

Yeah. But due to Austin's quickness, smarts, and use he doesn't take too many good hits either.

Comparing a college QB in a college spread offense to a NFL QB in a traditional NFL offense? Gee. That doesn't seem to compute to me. Easy to be off on that one. It's hard enough to do at the other positions.

If a kid is ready to go, then he's ready to go. But, unless there are some domestic financial concerns I don't believe staying in school and becoming more seasoned is bad advice. In fact, I remember reading an article awhile back that pointed out most of the busts at the position were underclassmen.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In true Rams fashion I am positive they will win just enough games to screw it up.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  1. Kiper & McShay: 20 questions on the 2016 NFL draft

i

Rich Arden/ESPN Images
    • Mel Kiper Jr.
    • Todd McShay

It's December, that special time of year when you will get to unwrap your first 2016 NFL mock draft. Monday also marked exactly 150 days until the NFL draft. So, in what has become an annual tradition, we're here with a quick, 20-question primer to get you going for draft season.

1. Who are the quarterbacks we'll be talking about on the first night of the draft?

Kiper: Two for certain, three possible, and a fourth for good measure.

Paxton Lynch of Memphis and Jared Goff of Cal are the two possible top-10 picks right now. Lynch has the great range of tools, and Goff has a special arm, moves well, and has a ton of experience. The third name to add to the Round 1 mix is Connor Cook of Michigan State, who at his best looks like a first-round lock, but can struggle with ball placement on his throws. The name to watch as a possible late-first pick. perhaps by some team trading back into the first round, is Carson Wentz of North Dakota State. Forget the school name. If Wentz, a 6-foot-5, 235-pounder, were playing for Bama or Florida State you'd think, "Man, that team has a really good QB." He can move really well.

2. Good QB class, bad QB class, or average QB class?

McShay: It's a disappointing QB class compared with its preseason potential. The bright spot has been the emergence Paxton Lynch (28 TDs, 3 INTs). If he leaves early, he's likely to be the first QB drafted. Jared Goff makes some exceptional throws but is still too inconsistent with his accuracy (11 INTs in nine Pac-12 games). I'd like to see him return to school to improve his footwork and add bulk/strength to his frame, but it appears he has different plans. Neither Lynch nor Goff will receive as high a grade as Jameis Winston last year, but I expect both to be first-round picks if they declare.

Christian Hackenberg and Cardale Jones have been the biggest disappointments this season. Hackenberg's best season at Penn State was under Bill O'Brien as a freshman. With a 53.3 percent completion rate this season, he's simply not accurate enough to warrant first-round consideration. Jones struggled to process information fast enough in Urban Meyer's system, and his accuracy dipped significantly from the three-game sample to end last season. His best option is to transfer to a school where he can play in 2016, but it appears he, too, has different plans.

3. Player who's helped his stock the most this season?

Kiper: I think Paxton Lynch wins this in a runaway. Nobody is saying he's a sure thing, and I really think he could use time on an NFL bench before he's ready to start games, but he has elevated his stock and plays well enough against good defensive competition. He was not projected as a possible top-10 pick before the year started. Not even close.

Marcus Mariota in place for the long term, the Titans could take the No. 1 player on our board, Ohio State DE Joey Bosa, without hesitation. Bosa is scheme-versatile, so he would work no matter the new coaching staff. Ole Miss LT Laramy Tunsil would fill a bigger need for the Titans, but it'd be hard to pass on Bosa.

5. What do you think, Mel?

Kiper: Eh, I think if you asked the teams nobody would want to pick No. 1 this year. It's not because there isn't talent to be had, it's because there's no obvious transcendent talent, and that means you don't get that player and it makes it hard to move down. Not a fun answer, but that's reality as of today.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/st...per-mcshay-tackle-20-questions-2016-nfl-draft

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah. But due to Austin's quickness, smarts, and use he doesn't take too many good hits either.

Comparing a college QB in a college spread offense to a NFL QB in a traditional NFL offense? Gee. That doesn't seem to compute to me. Easy to be off on that one. It's hard enough to do at the other positions.

And due to Goff's smarts, pocket movement, quickness, and feel for pressure, he doesn't take as many shots as he should despite Cal's terrible OL.

It computes just fine with me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And due to Goff's smarts, pocket movement, quickness, and feel for pressure, he doesn't take as many shots as he should despite Cal's terrible OL.

I'm on board, let's lose out and make the pick.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
San Diegos record behind an aging QB, in Phillip Rivers, they may do the same.
No way the Chargers grab a QB with Rivers at 33....basically in his prime.

I know a Chargers fan. He tells me there is no way they are going QB. Too many holes to fill. Not worth it for them given this year's crop of QBs and that they already have Rivers.
The Chargers are grabbing a OL if he's there....Easy....

It is amazing when guys get advice to not go professional, and risk another year playing for FREE! With worst coaching, and worse conditioning resources....The sooner a player like Goff goes pro, the better.
I've seen Goff take a number of massive shots behind that porous Cal OL.
Guy does take shots.....probably real flexible... LOL

Memphis Ram

Legend

In a college spread offense. Not an NFL offense.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Mariota played in a spread too you take the guy that can move and is worth more than a nickle from the neck up.

So did and could Sam Bradford and a host of other flops. And my guess is that even most of the so-called draft experts will have had a higher grade on him than they will on Goff.

BTW, if one could magically make Goff available as a junior last year, I'd bet the farm that he'd be selected behind both Winston and Mariota.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So did and could Sam Bradford and a host of other flops. And my guess is that even most of the so-called draft experts will have had a higher grade on him than they will on Goff.

BTW, if one could magically make Goff available as a junior last year, I'd bet the farm that he'd be selected behind both Winston and Mariota.

Mariota and Winston went #1 and #2. With teams willing to trade a lot to move up for either one. I bet the farm Goff would have went top 10.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Right. Because this doesn't work in a pro style offense:
http://zippy.gfycat.com/ScarceHoarseGiantschnauzer.webm
http://fat.gfycat.com/RepulsiveHandsomeKilldeer.webm

Because the type of offense you're in determines your pocket movement, quickness, smarts, and feel for pressure.

You don't think this kids reads are easier in a college spread offense? That doesn't help?
And couldn't one find clips with Manziel, RG III, Bradford, and others making similar plays..........in a college spread offense.

Mariota and Winston went #1 and #2. With teams willing to trade a lot to move up for either one. I bet the farm Goff would have went top 10.

I have no doubt. He's a top rated QB and the nature of the position forces teams to select all of these guys high on draft day whether they are worthy or not. Young, Lienart, Locker, Gabbert, Smith, Leftwich, Russell, Sanchez, Bradford, RGIII, etc.. prove that out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don't think this kids reads are easier in a college spread offense? That doesn't help?
And couldn't one find clips with Manziel, RG III, Bradford, and others making similar plays..........in a college spread offense.

I think the reads are easier in every college offense. Yes, his system helps him but all you have to do is watch the film. You'll see plenty of examples of him making full field reads and going through multiple progressions with speed.

I don't care about the three guys you named. Of the three, the only one remotely similar is Bradford. And the thing that sets Goff apart from Bradford is the amount of pressure he faced in college which forced him to develop outstanding pocket presence. Which has been Bradford's biggest weakness from Day 1 in the NFL.

I figured the whole spread offense critique had been put to rest over the past 5 years.

I have no doubt. He's a top rated QB and the nature of the position forces teams to select all of these guys high on draft day whether they are worthy or not. Young, Lienart, Locker, Gabbert, Smith, Leftwich, Russell, Sanchez, Bradford, RGIII, etc.. prove that out.

Except whether they are worthy or not is being made in hindsight. A lot of people felt Cam Newton wasn't worthy. Now, he's in contention for the NFL MVP. A lot of people thought Jameis Winston wasn't worthy. Now, he's in the midst of an impressive rookie year and helping his team fight for a playoff spot. A ton of people claimed Blake Bortles would be a bust but he's in his second year and is currently #3 in the NFL in TD passes.

Are you trying to argue that Goff isn't worthy? If so, I think time would be more appropriately spent talking about why he isn't worthy rather than why past players that aren't Goff weren't worthy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In a perfect world there would be 5 good QBs coming out each year and there wouldn't be any teams is such dire need of a QB that they have to pick them ahead of their ranking. That is not the case and even if a QB is rated as the 15th best prospect in the draft, if he is the top QB he is going #1. In this case I think both Goff and Lynch are 1# and 2# at the position and will go top 3/4