Losing out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Okay if the Rams lose out they finish with 4 wins obviously.

Now look at the teams ahead of the Rams in draft position

1. San Diego Chargers 2015 record: 2-8 (.490)
2. Tennessee Titans 2015 record: 2-8 (.500)
3. Cleveland Browns 2015 record: 2-8 (.500)
4. Baltimore Ravens 2015 record: 3-7 (.490)
5. Dallas Cowboys 2015 record: 3-7 (.520)
6. San Francisco 49ers 2015 record: 3-7 (.560)
7. Detroit Lions 2015 record: 3-7 (.570)
8. Miami Dolphins 2015 record: 4-6 (.470)
9. Oakland Raiders 2015 record: 4-6 (.480)

Dallas could win 2 more in their games against Washington and with Romo back.(No pun intended)
San Francisco just beat the Bears in Overtime and are surging behind Gabbert (Whodathunkit)
Oakland is a decent team and should get another win
Detroit can jump the Rams with a win next week
Balitmore is playing better football and can jump behind the Rams with another win
Tennessee is playing better with Mariota getting more comfortable.
San Diego probably only has one more win in them
Cleveland may have one more win in their schedule
Miami just beat the Ravens

So in all probability if the Rams lose out they could draft Third behind San Diego and Cleveland.

Unfortunately both of those teams could take a QB. Cleveland definitely will and with San Diegos record behind an aging QB, in Phillip Rivers, they may do the same.

It is not looking like the Rams will catch a break.

Maybe the Chargers will fire their head coach and the Rams can hire him. He is supposed to be a very good OC.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
I don't think the Chargers would take a QB, Rivers is only 33. I can see him playing well into his late 30's. The worry for me would be a team trading up. But then if the Rams were at 3, they could trade up the Chargers themselves?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I think you are correct that the Rams lose out and pick 3rd overall. Who knows though. Time will tell.

The Browns might take a QB, but I don't think it is set in stone. Last I heard they were pretty split between QB vs DE?

I know a Chargers fan. He tells me there is no way they are going QB. Too many holes to fill. Not worth it for them given this year's crop of QBs and that they already have Rivers.

Which of course begs the question... are any of the QBs available this year are worth being picked in the top 5? I don't think so. If we are going to go QB in round 1, I'd rather trade down to 8-15 and try and get some picks in the process. I'm sure one of Goff, Lynch, or Cook will be there at that point in the draft. Many of the teams drafting ahead of us already have their QB. And this year's QBs aren't good enough to fly off the board early.

If we stay put in the top 5 I'd rather take a WR or lineman. I think Goff and company are closer to Derek Carr in ability. Which is great! We'd all kill for a QB like that right now. But I don't want to draft that kind of QB at #3.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great job San Francisco never thought I would be rooting for the 49ers, but from here on in I am.

Athos

Legend
Chargers --> Rivers
Titans --> Mariota
BrownTurds -> QB needs
Ravens -> Flacco
Cowgirlies -> Maybe QB needs

Girls, Chargers, Browns only teams ahead of us as far as losses go.

I can see SF winning more games because dumbo Tomsula will want to keep his job and if he can win a few more before Gabbert of all QBs, he may stay.

Lions will probably torch us.

Girls only real options for wins at against the ForeSkins.

I see us with a top 8 pick.

We will have to trade up for Goff or Lynch.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Even if they wound up with the #1 overall selection, there's probably not a QB worthy of selection.

Team needs simply don't influence player availability.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We are taking a QB in the first round and that is the end of the discussion. Don't give me any of this - #1 WR or BPA crap.

We need a QB and nothing else is going to matter until we get one.

See all other teams in the NFL for more on this phenomenon.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I am very confident we could trade down a bit and get a QB in round 1 still. Of course, that is IF we can find a willing trading partner. Maybe some people don't want to do that because they have a favorite of Goff / Lynch / Cook. That's fine too. Personally, I think all 3 will just be average (which is fine by me right now, after so many years of awful QB play). So I'd be comfortable trading down a handful of spots and taking whoever of the 3 is left.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If thats what it takes for Fisher to get fired I'm all for it .

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
No matter where we pick it is going to be decently high. We also have cap room. Surely, with an entire draft dedicated to offence (and it better be!), FA dollars to spend, and Gurley and Austin already on the roster, we can get this offence to "average" for 2016. With an average offence we should be playoff bound. The defence is solid.

Right, guys?

.... Right?

I swear the Rams have given me battered fan syndrome.

Memphis Ram

Legend
@Memphis Ram - Just because you don't like a guy - doesn't mean he isn't going to be good. Ask JJ Watt.

JJ Watt? Lost me there. But, using his draft class, I would hope that this team doesn't pass on a player like him, Robert Quinn, or Tyron Smith for someone like Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert just because they need a QB.

Again, history has shown that just because you need a position player doesn't mean that a quality player at that position will be available at a team's selection or even in an entire draft class.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
JJ Watt? Lost me there. But, using his draft class, I would hope that this team doesn't pass on a player like him, Robert Quinn, or Tyron Smith for someone like Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert just because they need a QB.

Again, history has shown that just because you need a position player doesn't mean that a quality player at that position will be available at a team's selection or even in an entire draft class.

I agree with this. I am not saying Goff, Lynch, and Cook will be bad. Far from it. I think they are going to be more Derek Carr esque. Which is fine with me. Just not in the top 5. I am sure we can trade down a bit and still grab one IF there is a trading partner. Especially since many teams drafting high this year have their QB already. That's what I'd prefer if we are going QB in round 1.

Even though I think this year's QBs will at least prove viable starters, in my opinion this class is still a lot closer to mirroring 2011 (with Locker at 8th overall, Gabbert at 10th overall, and Ponder at 12th overall) than 2012 (Luck, RG3 who I still think would have been great but for injury, and Tannehil).

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
At this point Im not going to split hairs over arm strength. Just draft the guy with elite pocket presence and the ability to quickly read the D. That guy is Goff to me.