Looming LT decision this off season..What is your hope

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
what about Pircher?

train
I haven't seen enough of Edwards to have a feel for him at LT. It's kind of how I have always felt about Boom, though he's been in there enough now to where I trust him more than I used to.

Nothing would surprise me though wrt LT. It's a puzzle for sure.
I see the Rams Org. to be sitting in an outstanding position to get an excellent set up for the 2022 season & beyond outcome in the UFA off-season @ the position LT post.:thumbsup1::)

I am in the position where @CGI_Ram is where you have had a Joe Noteboom being groomed with Andrew Whitworth since Noteboom arrived (4 seasons). Make little sense to me to let that walk out the door.

We have already seen a rookie UDFA AJ Jackson come in @ LT against the Minnesota Vikings & take over for David Edwards who was filling in for both AW & JN & blew most of us away in his PFF rating ...
  • LT Alaric Jackson: 81.3
performance during that Rams Covid event. So based on that seen evidence Snead/ Carberry are sitting fat IF the Org. decides to go in this direction. It also indicates the Rams are fine with 3rd-year OL'ers David Edwards as a backup LT too. I have not even mentioned the amount of time that 2nd yr OL'er Tremayne Anchrum has spent playing the LT post too.

From all that I have read PS OT Max Pircher is being roomed for that Right side.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
That's my fear. He's semi proven, but not enough data to say exactly what he will be like as a full time starter.

I have no idea what his value will be.
Yeah.

Bad teams often have done a poor job of drafting and developing, and don't want to re-sign their own guys. That leaves them with cap space; and they then over-pay for average-to-good players who are free agents from quality teams ... those quality teams having drafted and developed well; and therefore, don't have enough cap space to re-sign all their guys.

Several years ago, the Giants made Nate Solder the highest paid OT in the NFL. Ever since, Giants' fans have been asking ... 'What the hell happened to Nate Solder!?!
And the answer is ... 'Nothing'

Solder was an average-to good OT on a great team, with a QB that was (and is) ridiculously good at getting the ball out-of-his hand. Solder then goes to a bad team, with QBs (even Eli Manning at the end) who hold onto the ball way too long. Suddenly, Nate Solder can't pass protect.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There is a difference between subbing and being the guy everyone gameplans for. As the latter teams will learn your weaknesses and attack them weekly then refine how they attack. You gotta have a very strong all around game to endure that shit at LT.

I used to not trust Boom. Now I do trust him as he has improved so much but I fear paying him and him holding up to the above.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Really don't want to be overly negative here about the Rams retaining Noteboom.

I really hope they do. Think he would, at leas, be capable at a critical position.

However, I also think it's going to be very expensive.
Visited the Spotrac site; and there are over-25 OTs with contracts that average over-$10M per-season. Many average-to-good OTs have contracts that average between $12-$16M per-year.

I think Noteboom will get $10M-plus per year.
Maybe it can be structured for a relatively small-hit in the first year but the guy is going to get paid.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh he will get more than $10m per year. Rams probably want him in that 13-14 range. They probably won't go high dollar for him unless they are sure he will kill it.

RamWoodie

Legend
This is it for Whit. Boom is quite versatile and valuable...but may be hard to keep. Others are definitely gonna show interest. He'll go for a bundle.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
200w.webp

(I know the quote is totally out of context, just thought this gif was too good to pass up)
Yeah man. Every time I start to type out that I think this is Whit's last year (been a few times in the past week) I remind myself that I am done underestimating big 77. After that down year he had in 2019 I thought he was done but he came back with a vengeance.

So 77 can do what he wants lol. And who's to say he doesn't have another year or two in him. Which is crazy but again not gonna underestimate him a second time.

Turducken

Starter
Whit's 2022 cap hit is not justifiable for his level of play (very good, but not elite and at an age more susceptible to injury). Would he stay on in a lesser role at half the price? Probably not.

Tough decisions every year.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
There is a difference between subbing and being the guy everyone gameplans for. As the latter teams will learn your weaknesses and attack them weekly then refine how they attack. You gotta have a very strong all around game to endure that shit at LT.

I used to not trust Boom. Now I do trust him as he has improved so much but I fear paying him and him holding up to the above.
If not Boom, would you rather start someone with no starting experience LT or pay for a top known prospect? I don't think we have the cap to pay for a $14M a year LT. I'm hoping Boom would be an $8-10M guy...I'm not sure if he's worth $12M.

The cheapest option may be moving Edwards to LT and finding an LG replacement, but that means we would go into the season with new starters at two positions on the OL, and maybe more depending on what happens with Allen and Corbett.

Continuity should be the top priority IMO.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Noteboom might get a significant offer from a bad team with major OL needs and a ton of cap space.
They should have extended him already, but Whitworth's open status kind of prevents that. I wish he would have just announced this as his last yr so Noteboom would want to stay and the Rams could commit to him.

Last edited:

RamWoodie

Legend
They should have extended him already, but Whitworth's open status kind of prevents that. I wish he would have just announced this as his last yr so Noteboom would want to stay and the Rams could commit to him.
Nope...the Rams went fishing for both Miller and OBJ...which made them back off doing anything for Boom...(not that they're not working on it though).

Boom now is seasoned and has versatility. He's gonna get more than he's worth...so the Rams may very well lose a bidding war for him.

That's what I see.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If not Boom, would you rather start someone with no starting experience LT or pay for a top known prospect? I don't think we have the cap to pay for a $14M a year LT. I'm hoping Boom would be an $8-10M guy...I'm not sure if he's worth $12M.

The cheapest option may be moving Edwards to LT and finding an LG replacement, but that means we would go into the season with new starters at two positions on the OL, and maybe more depending on what happens with Allen and Corbett.

Continuity should be the top priority IMO.
I'll admit again that I have no idea what the best path ahead here is. I really don't. Because I have no idea who has shown what in practice.

Going with Whit again comes with a lot of risk and means Boom is gone. I don't think this is the path they choose but never know.

Signing Boom and playing him at LT carries risk too and means Whit is gone. This seems like the way they'll go and I feel a lot better about it than I did at this time last year.

In-house move like say Edwards or another depth has the most risk. But it allows them to redefine who the money men are on their OL. If Boom leaves in FA and Whit retires the only guy getting paid up front is Hav and he's relatively cheap for what we get.

It's a puzzle man. This is the one decision matrix that I'm just gonna sit back and see what the Rams do. I really don't know enough about the depth options to get all dug in one way or the other.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I hope that Whit finds the fountain of youth and plays another ten years, but I'm sure that he will retire after the Rams win the Super Bowl this year.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Nope...the Rams went fishing for both Miller and OBJ...which made them back off doing anything for Boom...(not that they're not working on it though).

Boom now is seasoned and has versatility. He's gonna get more than he's worth...so the Rams may very well lose a bidding war for him.

That's what I see.
Well, you cant tie up $13M in Whit when in he is getting nicked up more each yr.

I would rather give Noteboom a new deal that can be cap friendly early in the deal. This also makes sense since they will be lacking draft capital to fill that role long-term. Noteboom can as he is only 25.

More willing to let Corbett and Allen walk since Shelton looks like he could be a stop gap C and you can get a quality developmental C in the 3rd or 4th. Same with OG, plus you still have Anchrum, Evans & Brewer that could play OG.

Then focus the draft on secondary & LB help with a couple OL depth pieces thrown in. I really think they could be better next yr if this yrs rookie class gets healthy and can contribute.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I'll admit again that I have no idea what the best path ahead here is. I really don't. Because I have no idea who has shown what in practice.

Going with Whit again comes with a lot of risk and means Boom is gone. I don't think this is the path they choose but never know.

Signing Boom and playing him at LT carries risk too and means Whit is gone. This seems like the way they'll go and I feel a lot better about it than I did at this time last year.

In-house move like say Edwards or another depth has the most risk. But it allows them to redefine who the money men are on their OL. If Boom leaves in FA and Whit retires the only guy getting paid up front is Hav and he's relatively cheap for what we get.

It's a puzzle man. This is the one decision matrix that I'm just gonna sit back and see what the Rams do. I really don't know enough about the depth options to get all dug in one way or the other.
Yeah let Snead and Demoff figure this out.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Man that last paragraph. No judgement or anything, it just reminded me of people's takes on Robinson. It's the same sentiment but the exact opposite. Greg Robinson was absolute shit for us but a ton of people were afraid if we cut him he'd magically turn into a pro bowler for some other team. Now we have a good young lineman in Noteboom and there's concern about signing him and him turning out bad.

Just a funny observation. Nothing meant by it. One of those "the more things change the more they stay the same" moments.

I don't know if he can hold up permanently at left tackle either. I just know we're not finding one in the draft for next year and the other options are riskier. We'll see how Snead and McVay feel about it next year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man that last paragraph. No judgement or anything, it just reminded me of people's takes on Robinson. It's the same sentiment but the exact opposite. Greg Robinson was absolute shit for us but a ton of people were afraid if we cut him he'd magically turn into a pro bowler for some other team. Now we have a good young lineman in Noteboom and there's concern about signing him and him turning out bad.

Just a funny observation. Nothing meant by it. One of those "the more things change the more they stay the same" moments.

I don't know if he can hold up permanently at left tackle either. I just know we're not finding one in the draft for next year and the other options are riskier. We'll see how Snead and McVay feel about it next year.
Yeah I get what you mean. Though there is a distinction between the two that being one was a fucking turd and the other's a question of how good he is.

My reservations on Boom are solely based on how will he hold up to the scrutiny of being the LT with all the best rushers gunning for him and the DCs dialing shit up to hit his weaknesses.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will be an interesting move either way. As lame as this sounds I tend to go for youth in these tough calls. Whit is awesome but father time is undefeated is my thought process.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So 77 can do what he wants lol. And who's to say he doesn't have another year or two in him. Which is crazy but again not gonna underestimate him a second time.
Agreed. If Noteboom wants too much money, and Whit wants to play another year, I'm good with letting Boom go. And we get a decent comp pick. The Rams can continue to develop Jackson and Pircher and will probably draft another tackle in the later rounds.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

LA Rams FA OT Joseph Noteboom: re-sign, sign, draft, or promote?​

1642789608232.png

The LA Rams have a number of potential free agents facing them as their contracts expire, but perhaps no single player will foster more debate than what to do with offensive tackle Joseph Noteboom. Noteboom is a player who has played in 47 games for the LA Rams over his four-season NFL career.

Over those four seasons, he has started just 17 games. Before injury in 2019, he played and started all six games at left guard. The following season, he resumed his starting role at left guard for two games before falling to injury. When he returned, he had lost his job to teammate David Edwards. He remained on the bench until starting left tackle Andrew Whitworth fell to injury in Week 9 against the Seattle Seahawks. The starting role then fell to Noteboom, who played well enough for the remaining seven games to help the LA Rams earn a playoff berth as the sixth seed.

Noteboom returned in 2021, the last year of his rookie contract, with no realistic chance of winning a starting role. But he was an experienced starter at both the left guard and the left tackle position, and he played well enough in both roles to be one of the team’s primary backups on the offensive line.

Durability, dependability, and versatility​

The LA Rams would need to tap that experience twice more during the 2021 NFL season. In Week 8, Noteboom would start in place of Whitworth again. This time it was to give Whitworth a chance to heal a banged-up knee. The rest worked, and Whitworth returned to duty the following week. Noteboom was clearly up to the challenge as the Rams dominated the Houston Texans by a score of 38-0 until the Rams pulled their starters.

In Week 14, Noteboom would be promoted to a starting role once again. This time, in place of right tackle Rob Havenstein, who had tested positive for COVID-19. Once more, Noteboom played well.

The LA Rams would need to count on Noteboom once more, this time in the Wildcard Round of the NFL Playoffs after Andrew Whitworth was shaken up after his ankle and knee were rolled up on by a Cardinals defender. Noteboom played the final 33 snaps of the game seamlessly.

Re-sign Noteboom​

Of course, the first and optimal option for any player the Rams were happy with starts with an extension or re-signing him. And I can assure you that the Rams are quite pleased with Noteboom. Like wanting nothing but the best for him. He would be someone who would be extended without hesitation if the organization had the money to do so. But the Rams Free Agency decisions are inherently complex. They currently have $190,313 available salary-cap space projected for 2022 (as of January 20, 2022).

The LA Rams know exactly who Joe Noteboom is, and what he is all about. He has shown up each year, put in the work, paid his dues, and deserves his big contract. But even more than that, he deserves his shot to start on an NFL offensive line. The trouble right now is that he has earned a shot to start at left tackle, the most vital position on an offensive line. But 40-year-old Andrew Whitworth shows no signs of slowing down.

What role to Rams see for 2022?​

If a team envisions Noteboom as a clear starter at offensive left tackle, Noteboom’s market price shoots up to a multi-year deal, say in the 3-4 year range, with an average per year that will run anywhere from $7-10 million. If the market insists that Noteboom is best valued as a versatile backup, then that deal will likely fall in the two-year range with a total valuation of $5-8 million.

Ideally, the Rams would prefer to get Noteboom signed to the latter contract. Even if they get him cheaply, do not think for a minute that the team would hesitate to start him. But look for a team like the Kansas City Chiefs, who are themselves projected to lose their offensive left tackle Orlando Brown Jr., to make a strong play for Noteboom. In the face of a bidding war, I would expect the Rams to pursue other avenues.