Let's talk about our MLB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
ok... let's keep this simple. JL's one of the smartest defensive players to currently play the game. so maybe he was only blessed with average NFL football talent but that's ok cus he's that good as the QB of the defense which is a hugley underrated position. JLis talented enough in both aspects to lead a top 5 defense that we can all agree on. the dude is fucking Iron Man (look what happened when Long was gone) doesn't miss a game but is a foundation of the defense. that being said , he is only human and we need an equally good apprentice for him.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Intelligence never made one tackle. His(JL) time is past. I'm so sorry. We all have to let go sometimes when we are seeing that a persons leadership is more valuable as it has been than a real tackler who can stop a runner on 3rd and 2 yards for a upcoming 4th down. JL can't EVER do it ! Forgive me for bringing the truth. Just showing up and being smart, slow and smart has no part with our great D Line and its depth.

If Chris Long goes down for the 3rd year in a row then I'm sorry we have another Bradford type issue. We have backups with Sims and I think Hayes for 1 more year. We need to be looking for our next pass rusher with a little more size and has the same effort and leadership. The Oregan DE is a little bit off and on but with coaching he may not be a bust and looks like the Cards DE from Miami. Armstead is the rookie. I don't want him when we need OL. Don't think the WR's or even Scherff will make our 10 spot. I see a trade down IF we get the value Snead seeks. Then take an OT or Erving late and picking up Cann or Tomlinson in the second unless Petty is sitting there. Then back to Center in the third round to get the one we want. I want someone that is stronger than 23 reps at the combine as our starter for 6-7 years. Learning Williams system coincided with the return of the sacks and Donald should have started from game one too.

I see McLeod shocking me and improving as I was'nt a fan early this past year and YES Jenkins takes too many risks on double moves and gets burned regularly. The MSU guy is not good enough to replace him though. The CB that punched his coach out and many will pass on is the best CB in this draft. Maybe we get lucky with another Gaines pick. No 5th round pick this year tho.

I disagree.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Very surprised anyone would consider moving on from JL at this stage. He does more for this team than any rookie could step in and do. Why we need a heavy hitter when we have so many on our team already is beyond me. Tell me the leader of this team outside of JL or Chris Long! Those who say he hasn't made any plays must not remember him stealing a win for us against San Fransico in the final seconds. He is a presence in the locker room that some teams wish they had.

He is wholly committed to this team and his teammates love him. Drafting a replacement is absolutely unthinkable in this draft considering the amount of holes we have elsewhere in this team and MLB play has been solid. I'm on board with developing a late round pick with potential to eventually take over for him once he retires but let's not waste time shining the windows when the roof is leaking. I'm thankful we have great football minds running this team because they realize what we have in JL in the face of undeserved criticism.

lockdnram21

Legend
Right now Laurinaitis is solid enough that Fisher doesn't have to worry about the position as he focuses on strengthening other units. He anchors the defense and plays smart. Not highly athletic, but definitely not a liability either. If I'm not mistaken, the safety makes the defensive adjustments and audibles in Fisher's schemes, but that's been on Laurinaitis since the Spagnuolo era. So once the rest of the defense is up to snuff (and it's close), you'll see him draft a MLB high enough to challenge JL and turn the defensive 'quarterbacking' over to his favorite safety. You know, IMO and all.

Until then....

jl.gif
Actually I'm not 100 percent sure but I think McLeod makes some calls to and is a leader on efense. Because I remember when they were asking long about getting a tru fs he was like We have one in McLeod he's a leader on our defense gets people in there spots and we love him here

lockdnram21

Legend
I think if I'm drafting to upgrade one of our 11 defensive starters Rodney McCleod and Jenkins would be far and away ahead of JL. I'll take intelligence any day over thumping.
He's the least of our problems. People used to want to replace Chris Long too. Until he wasn't there. Now, not so much.
I still want to replace Long. He wasn't the reason our defense wasn't playing that well.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Actually I'm not 100 percent sure but I think McLeod makes some calls to and is a leader on efense. Because I remember when they were asking long about getting a tru fs he was like We have one in McLeod he's a leader on our defense gets people in there spots and we love him here
He does. And so does McDonald on occasion. Laurinaitis does it a lot as well, and that's why I said 'eventually' it's going to all go through the safety and they'll draft another MLB to compete with JL. The safety spot, in general, has been in flux until recently, and that's why JL has been pretty much the quarterback on defense. Well, that, and he did it for two years under Spags and the first year with Fisher - almost exclusively.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I still want to replace Long. He wasn't the reason our defense wasn't playing that well.

You replace Long and teams will line up for him. Not to mention the likelihood of replacing him with an equal player is slim.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't care about having a thumper. I'd rather just have a great MLB. I'd prefer range and athleticism over a thumper. But I do think it's time to start looking for a successor.
Personally I Love JL and what he brings to the team, But I do wish we had better Back-up at MLB!
That said, just to throw this out their, maybe we could use an 'Up-Grade' at the LB Coach Position. Someone, Like Kevin Greene, someone with more 'Fire-in-the-belly'! Just a thought!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very surprised anyone would consider moving on from JL at this stage. He does more for this team than any rookie could step in and do. Why we need a heavy hitter when we have so many on our team already is beyond me. Tell me the leader of this team outside of JL or Chris Long! Those who say he hasn't made any plays must not remember him stealing a win for us against San Fransico in the final seconds. He is a presence in the locker room that some teams wish they had.

He is wholly committed to this team and his teammates love him. Drafting a replacement is absolutely unthinkable in this draft considering the amount of holes we have elsewhere in this team and MLB play has been solid. I'm on board with developing a late round pick with potential to eventually take over for him once he retires but let's not waste time shining the windows when the roof is leaking. I'm thankful we have great football minds running this team because they realize what we have in JL in the face of undeserved criticism.
Preach

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Said very well JL brings team LEADERSHIP along with Chris Long brings toughness and effort but NONE OF THOSE make our defense what it can be. Denzel Perryman behind our D line would make as many tackles as the 3rd round ROOKIE ( Chris Borland) who led the whiners in tackles last season with 128 and they have 4 LB's making tackles . I wanted him over Tre' Mason but am glad we dodged that bullet now.
I'm literally stunned to see so many die hard RAMS fans that obviously have been missing all the drag down tackles and mostly Missed tackles made by JL and he takes horrible angles and can't tie Walkers shoes with what he does for the seahawks and the LB's for the whiners and even Washington when he is on the field for the Cards is twice as fast and takes great angles.
JL is overpaid and his $$$ goes UP the next 2 years and his great smarts and awesome leadership is not why he gets overpaid. He can be relaced by quite a few rookies coming out. JL is just purely SLOW and that GIF above is his only hit like that I can remember since his rookie year. Go ahead and hate me but I know on another board my opinion is the one most feel is correct. JL is a DRAG DOWN tackler that tackles his guy 5 yards down the field on average.
I have the Cowboys game and the away seahawk game and the season opener and many more where we got run over on our so called awesome defense. JL is not a blitzer as he is too slow to get home. How many sacks does he have or avg.? AO is really improving on his pass rush blitzes and run blitzes. Some have said let JL play through this year at his reduced pay but start the draftee next season after getting reps this season. We should'nt have to pay for team leadership or defensive playcalling. We can teach that and yes a REAL THUMPER would make our defense the top 5 defense it should be with just a CB change also.
I truly think JL is holding us back. Wanted a replacement with Chris Borland who if he brought those 128 tackles to the RAMS from Wisconsin in the 3RD round no one would worship JL like I just read post after post.I know a few names in the later rounds like Emanuel from North Dakota State that could bring the pain we are now missing in the 6th round even and train him up. Don't expect a Perryman or the small but very good LB from UCLA who will rack up the tackles for some team like Davis with 3 ACL injuries does and Luke Kuechkly(sp?) does for the panthers and both SB teams had Thumpers if you watched the game.
Are we gonna get run all over again next season like in KC and so many places? We have a lesser schedule and I hate to see our front line guys not have a real Head Hunter lined up behind them. JL is effeciant if that. I'm not a fan and I don't judge a player by his team leadership but by his tackles per game and how far behind the line of scrimmage is VERY important. We could save money and someone else could make the calls on the D like our smart USC SS. Its been done before. I think the facts are on my side against some fans emotions with JL. Lots of tackles and sacks are there for the taking and I also think Chris Long is on the begining downside of his career and is overpaid as his hip injury seems to return with ankle and other injuries he gets dinged up every year now. Our top 2 team emotional leaders? I'm a realist who wants the best for the RAMS. Just mpo. Don't kill me please if you disagree. Other Rams boards have current MLB replacement threads as we speak. I'm not alone.
I have to respectfully disagree, look at JL stats and look at Willis stats he has more sacks and average more tackles per season and last year was the only year he didn't have at least 2 piciks, not to mention he was robbed of a defensive touchdown too. You can't compare JL to other linebackers because he is asked to do different things, all of the 9ers backs are asked to attack the same with Bobby none of those guys plays the position like JL they don't make line calls and change defensive plays at the line based off the offensive they just play, JL main role was to patrol the middle of the field, with GW here now you will see his sacks go up and when they did send JL on blitz last year he got home, and as for getting run over you might want to look at all the wrong angles olgetree took and the missed tackles. Stats and history doesn't support your assertion that JL can't get it done. He never misses a game, and that can change at any moment but I will gladly take a guy that makes a 100 plus tackles 3 sacks and 2ints a year over a so called thumper who might be out the game in 2 years. JL definitely isn't overpaid, every one loves Luke but he is just a more athletic version of JL with the smarts all he does is makes tackles down the field, and he makes a lot of assisted tackles most of all JL tackles are solo means when he touch a guy they go down. He lead the league in solo tackles by a wide margin in 2012 I believe. The guy suits up and play

Adrian

UDFA
Name
vermeilsRE
James Laurinaitis. The guy hasn't missed a snap in his career. Consistently puts up 100+ tackles and is always around the ball. He's a team leader and a great role model. BUT, over the past three years since Jeff Fisher has become our coach, we have had high expectations for our defense. Those expectations have fallen below the level of what we want. We have 7 first rounders starting on the defense. Which is the most in the league(I think). Now, to my point. T believe it's time to draft his replacement. I love JL as much as any Rams fan, but I want a thumper in the middle. I think a guy like Patrick Willis(I know he doesn't come around very often) would take this defense to a different universe. 2000 Ravens level. I don't know if there are any MLBs like that coming out this year, but I would not be upset if we drafted one in the first round. If you feel differently, great! Let's discuss!
I have to disagree. I can't help but think about the YEARS we had looking for a MLB after we lost London Fletcher. The ONLY one we've had to be proud of In that 10 year span is JL55

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have to disagree. I can't help but think about the YEARS we had looking for a MLB after we lost London Fletcher. The ONLY one we've had to be proud of In that 10 year span is JL55
Oh trust me, I love JL. I think he's been an outstanding MLB for us since his rookie year. That game against Peyton last year was his best work to date. He countered everything thrown at him. He might be the only guy in the league who can go toe to toe with Manning at the line. I just feel that we could use a guy who gets better push and is faster. I guess not so much a thumper(I shouldn't have used that word) but more athletic. Also, the 1st round is probably a dumb place to take a MLB this year and I know that. But I just wouldn't be upset to see us draft his replacement early. I would think about going after a corner early too.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think JL55 has been highly over rated by Rams fans over the years, and believe that on skill set he's pretty average. That said, moving on from JL55 at this point is nuts.
He's exteemely durable and now his contract is reasonable for the next 2 years, about 10 mill cap hit total. His next roster bonus isn't due until 2017. So now is definately NOT the time to replace him
Sure if a mlb is bpa then by all means take one but at this point it's not a priority

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
About Laurinaitis's speed, he was playing with an ankle injury all last season if I remember correctly, so he should be faster this season. He's hitting his prime right now, on a reasonable contract. He's not nearly as bad as some of you make him out to be. Sure, he's not Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis, but who is? As X showed above, he can make plays in the backfield. He outdueled Peyton Manning last season. He definitely has what it takes.

I think in a 2nd year with Gregg Williams, he's going to have a career year. I think we can eventually draft a guy to develop to replace him, maybe even Ogletree is who they'll want, who knows, but he's perfectly capable right now.

Big Willie

Starter
I could see JL becoming a CAP casualty in 2016. While his CAP hit will rise near $2.5 mil. to almost $6.5mil. next year, his dead money cost drops to under $1.mil. It's possible he may be in line for an extension, although I feel Chris Long may be the better candidate. Moving on from a cherished player is always difficult, but sometimes difficult business decisions have to made to take the next step.
One thing I will add though is that JL seemed to really catch onto Williams scheme in a few games last season, but that proved inconsistent. 2015 will be an important year for him for future consideration. jmo.
If JL takes a pay cut, he will most likely stay, but with a number of people up in 2016 ( Brockers, Quick, Fairly, Barron, Foles...) the club will have to make adjustments somewhere to keep a few of them.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Not looking to add a rookie MLB to our already young and inexperienced defense. JL is smart, learns the defense before anyone else, is there all the time, has a nose for the ball, is a great locker room guy, and contrary to belief, lays the wood from time to time. I'd take him over most of the ILB/MLBs in the league. So replacing him with a thumper, may mean you give up all the good parts of JL for a few splash plays. And how many bad reads ala Ray Malaluga (sp?) do you give up in return? If there was a sure fire lock MLB when we pick, I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing him. But the guy would have to be better than Bates is right now.
We have a young newly learned defense with a mixture of players and ages. Saying we are the youngest team in the league is JUST AN EXCUSE. Same one Fisher uses every year till he is replaced. I repeat a 3RD round MLB had 128 tackles and many other stats that make JL look WASHED UP. Nose for ball, great lockerroom guy, time to time lays wood downfield not behind the line or stopping a RB on 3rd down. This thumper name that is suppose to be a part of all defensive players not just a style of play that you can't think and hit like a missle at the same time like Luke Keuchly does year in and year out. I'm not a fan of Ray Malaluga as he does dumb things and is just limited to a FEW good hits.

Thats not what a thumper is or what the ILB in a 3-4 or a 4-3 MLB is. PLEASE!!!!! There all the time and learns defense before others is SILLY. Is this band practice or a danf NFL Football team looking to win it all. London Fletcher is a MLB who we had his first year from John Carrol and as tiny as he was like Sam Mills for the Saints was he led the LEAGUE in tackles year after year and kept his speed up sideline to sideline and both played a year too long but JL is not even in their ZIP CODE.

Bates is'nt worthy of being on our team. Thats why we have to upgrade our LB's as this name usage of Splash plays can be thrown away forever. Did you not see other rookie linebackers assimilate with their teams like Bama's ILB We could have drafted as he was next on Sneads BPA list after Donald and the OG/T we missed getting in round 1 last year? The Raven was in the mix for defensive rookies of the year. Its done ALL THE TIME. They can be found in every round of the draft and they are more than your silly word thumper. They are NFL players doing a hell of a lot better job than the boring and reduced returns we are getting in his MLB spot. Being there and playing hurt does'nt help the team . If that is what impresses some of you. Just try a LB that stops a RB player by himself and isn't just a team tackler that joins in on a pile.

JL has no range and can't play through the trash. Please watch some game films when DeMarco embarrassed him so badly as other lesser RB's did and have been doing. Our 5 1ST round D lineman DESERVE a guy that can blitz and also stop a guy in his tracks without help. JL CAN'T PERIOD. Read other Rams message boards and see you may be in more of a minority than the group think of this board. Each one seems different. I don't even post there either. I watch the players play and can see and read stats that are going backwards. Why have so many talking heads mentioned LB as a Rams NEED even after Ayers was signed. Ayers can cover Tight ends as JL can't. How many ints did the whiners 3rd round rookie have? How many JL have? I could write a book on this. You just can't be blind to our unit when JL has gotten old with a bunch of young guys. Same with Chris Long as his production has peaked and he is on the downside as Ware,Peppers who are much better are.

When the unit leaders leave others ALWAYS fill the void. Transition does'nt have to be hard. Depends on the coach and it can be seamless done right. Plus the $$$ is too high for the simple production of JL for the next 2 years after this year. Its going up. Its purely laughable when we won't sign a FA OL due to money.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Right now Laurinaitis is solid enough that Fisher doesn't have to worry about the position as he focuses on strengthening other units. He anchors the defense and plays smart. Not highly athletic, but definitely not a liability either. If I'm not mistaken, the safety makes the defensive adjustments and audibles in Fisher's schemes, but that's been on Laurinaitis since the Spagnuolo era. So once the rest of the defense is up to snuff (and it's close), you'll see him draft a MLB high enough to challenge JL and turn the defensive 'quarterbacking' over to his favorite safety. You know, IMO and all.

Until then....

jl.gif

I agree with most everything you said here, except the part the safeties making the defensive adjustments. That is partially correct, in that their are responsible for the SECONDARY adjustments. Laurinaitis is still; the QB of the defense, and makes ALL of the calls, and checks out of any stunts or blitzes. He makes sure the FRONT seven are in position, etc.

And in this scheme, they ask the MLB to drop in coverage a whole lot more than most. So, trying to compare his role, to that of someone like Willis, or even going back to the Ray Lewis days, (both who played inside in a 3-4 scheme) just isn't a fair comparison. For the near cult status that London Fletcher attained with many fans, Laurinaitis actually compares to him, in terms of roles, and production, IMO.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Forgive me for bringing you evidence to the contrary.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCZZVLJ4Hv8

Your too smart to not know the old saying where a blind pig gets an acorn every once in a while. Please torture yourself and rewatch that whole game and the second half especially as JL has his pants pulled down so often having to fight so hard in this thread is freakin scary with the manlove for a guy who is not rated very high with PFF either. They analyse every play. See where JL ranks . He is BELOW average and the whiner rookie in the third round last year would have been a MAJOR upgrade over JL.

I watch the guy play in and play out. Yes he was slowed with an ankle all season and he is a warrior so you guys will know I appreciate his effort. He was an average MLB when we drafted him and he's gone down from there and HIS ROLE behind the Defensive line we are Blessed to have this one season as Brockers may not be back. The position is just TOO DANG IMPORTANT to have an average to below guy with less than average stats. playing behind that line. Borland might get 200 tackles behind them. I can go on and on as he does'nt get home on designed blitzes so AO is getting the lionshare now if your watching. Folks are now calling those splash plays. LOL. He's a warrior no doubt but he's not what we need and later round rookies can do better. So sorry to say. Please see where he ranks leaguewide. I mean not to be mean or ugly. I thank him for all his time and leadership and smarts but others have those too and can get to the spot wider than JL's range is. Better angles getting through trash he can't.
Our o-line dilema will keep us 8-8 anyway no matter when I had so much hope when Foles was signed and I think our schedule can be winable. Yes we have bigger needs on OL but JL is getting eyes from many others watching our D. Leader or not. See what Mosely from Bama did last season? He isn't as smart as JL but as a rookie he piled up the stats amoung 4 LB's and less field time than JL.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't understand why this guy is comparing 3-4 ILBs and 4-3 MLBs. They're different, similar but different. Borland was in a system that was designed for him to rack up tackles. CJ Mosley is in a system designed for him to make plays. James Laurinaitis is in an entirely different system.