Let's talk about our MLB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
James Laurinaitis. The guy hasn't missed a snap in his career. Consistently puts up 100+ tackles and is always around the ball. He's a team leader and a great role model. BUT, over the past three years since Jeff Fisher has become our coach, we have had high expectations for our defense. Those expectations have fallen below the level of what we want. We have 7 first rounders starting on the defense. Which is the most in the league(I think). Now, to my point. T believe it's time to draft his replacement. I love JL as much as any Rams fan, but I want a thumper in the middle. I think a guy like Patrick Willis(I know he doesn't come around very often) would take this defense to a different universe. 2000 Ravens level. I don't know if there are any MLBs like that coming out this year, but I would not be upset if we drafted one in the first round. If you feel differently, great! Let's discuss!

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I agree I love the guy but I think if we want to become a truely elite front seven were going to have to replace him with a more talented player, problem being like you said, they don't just come out every draft. I wonder if Mark Barron can become a MLB, Fisher did say he's not much smaller than most linebackers and if Ogletree can make the switch in college from FS to OLB, I don't see why Barron couldn't replicate his success.

EDIT: Ogletree made the switch from FS to a MLB in a 3-4 scheme.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I can't disagree with this. Love JL, but he is undersized IMO and not amazing at the point of attack. With Tree and now Ayers as speedy LBs, we do kind of need more of an anchor at MLB. I wouldn't say it is a desperate need by any stretch, but if they see that guy in this draft or the next, you grab him. I wonder what could have been if we had gotten Wagner.....

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Nope. I take intelligence over thumper.

Which is what JL has and is very underrated in that department.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Right now Laurinaitis is solid enough that Fisher doesn't have to worry about the position as he focuses on strengthening other units. He anchors the defense and plays smart. Not highly athletic, but definitely not a liability either. If I'm not mistaken, the safety makes the defensive adjustments and audibles in Fisher's schemes, but that's been on Laurinaitis since the Spagnuolo era. So once the rest of the defense is up to snuff (and it's close), you'll see him draft a MLB high enough to challenge JL and turn the defensive 'quarterbacking' over to his favorite safety. You know, IMO and all.

Until then....

jl.gif

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right now Laurinaitis is solid enough that Fisher doesn't have to worry about the position as he focuses on strengthening other units. He anchors the defense and plays smart. Not highly athletic, but definitely not a liability either. If I'm not mistaken, the safety makes the defensive adjustments and audibles in Fisher's schemes, but that's been on Laurinaitis since the Spagnuolo era. So once the rest of the defense is up to snuff (and it's close), you'll see him draft a MLB high enough to challenge JL and turn the defensive 'quarterbacking' over to his favorite safety. You know, IMO and all.

Until then....

jl.gif
That is my favorite hit of his ever. And it actually proves my point a little bit. That might have been the first time I've ever seen him do that. If he can get more hits and tackles like that, I'm all for keeping him. But I do agree, he's smart and is not a liability. But if this D Is going to the next level, we need a better version of him.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree I love the guy but I think if we want to become a truely elite front seven were going to have to replace him with a more talented player, problem being like you said, they don't just come out every draft. I wonder if Mark Barron can become a MLB, Fisher did say he's not much smaller than most linebackers and if Ogletree can make the switch in college from FS to OLB, I don't see why Barron couldn't replicate his success.

EDIT: Ogletree made the switch from FS to a MLB in a 3-4 scheme.
Idk about Barron switching over but i see where you're coming from. Learning a new position when he's already getting better at his current spot isn't smart IMO. He's perfect for what he does for us already. Ogletree is gunna be a stud and Ayers will be an upgrade(hopefully) over Dunbar.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We're going to give up big plays if we replace him. I'd prefer us to draft a replacement fairly high and develop him rather than throw a rookie in, because no one makes adjustments and is as good a field general as Laurinaitis.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Completely disagree, JL isn't a thumper that's seems to be the only gripe people have about him. We have the outside guys that are suppose to be the thumpers, what JL does is patrol the middle of the field line the guys up and never miss a snap. To say he is the reason for the defense not living up to potential is crazy. Everyone has that particular type of player they like at a certain position and that's understandable, but a lot of the guys that were supposed to be better than JL coming out where are they now. He doesn't make splash plays but we have enough of that honestly if olgetree and play as efficient as JL our entire defense will be better a lot of times olgetree reads the run wrong and hit wrong gaps, it's no surprise that our defense started playing better when olgetree got more comfortable. GW knows what he has with JL and that's all the validation I need for JL coupled with what I see with my own eyes.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Until then....

jl.gif
JL makes the line call for the dLine and linebackers the safety makes the shifts according to how JL lines everyone else up

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
If it's not broke don't fix it. He's only 28. He's durable, productive and he plays smart. I would await another two years before I start looking for another mlb.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Maybe some of this:

Benardrick McKinney

• ILB
  • Junior
  • 6-4⅛, 246 lbs
  • Miss. St
  • Scouts Grade82
  • Position Rank3
  • Overall Rank49
  • 40-YD Dash4.66
  • ConferenceSEC
2014 NCAA Football Stats

TacklesSacksINT
563.0—

Overall Football Traits
Production12011: Redshirted 2012: (13/10)- 102-4.5-12013: (13/13)- 71-7.0-3.52014: (13/13) - 71-8-3
Height-Weight-Speed1Excellent combination of height and weight. Well-proportioned frame. Built like a 3-4 OLB. Long arms (33") but has smaller hands (9"). Very good top-end speed and leaping ability for size. 40.5
Durability1Played in all 39 career games (36 starts) during his three seasons at Mississippi State (2012-2014).
Intangibles2Coaches rave about his football character. Brings a lot of energy to the defense. Takes well to coaching and has no off-field issues to our knowledge.
1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL
Inside Linebacker Specific Traits
Instincts/Recognition2Has adequate key-and-diagnose skills but needs to be more consistent in order to take his game to next level. Has a good natural feel for the game and appears to have fast eyes. Has improved discipline against the run. Improved run fits and maintained better gap integrity within scheme in 2014. Still frequently takes the bait and will get caught in no man's land versus play-action and misdirection.
Take-on Skills2Shows no fear of stepping up and taking on the lead blocker. Has shock in hands to jar blockers with initial contact. Also has long arms to help keep blockers off his pads. Needs to improve consistency of pad level and will be slow to disengage at times as a result. Does not protect his feet well, particularly when pursuing laterally.
Range vs. Run3Runs well on a straight-line for his size. Is tall and has some tightness. Lacks ideal redirect quickness but is at least adequate. Could be more consistent with pursuit angles but does show good quickness shuffling laterally and above-average closing burst.
Tackling3Not a vicious hitter but has good size and enough strength to occasionally deliver a blow. Is an adequate open-field tackler. Has long arms to lasso ball carriers when he's not in an ideal position to break down and wrap up. Keeping pads low will always be a challenge for him. Falls off some tackles because he comes in too high.
3rd Down Capabilities3Shows adequate feel in zone coverage. Anticipates crossers and shows good field awareness. Closes quickly when coming forward and does a good job of limiting the run-after-catch. Has some tightness in his hips and will struggle to match up one-on-one with quicker NFL RBs. Flashes upside as a pass-rusher, especially off the edge. Has length and athleticism to improve with more coaching and reps.
1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Real good player, love him in pass pro audibles. His intangibles are what make him his money.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If it's not broke don't fix it. He's only 28. He's durable, productive and he plays smart. I would await another two years before I start looking for another mlb.

Yeah but sooner or later we're going to have to draft someone (probably high as well) to replace him. The argument is you don't really want a rookie starting at MLB replacing your defences QB in James Laurinaitis (unless he's like Lofa Tatupu was in his pre-injury years - or Bobby Wagner (sorry to bring up 2 Seattle guys they just sprung to mind playing in our division)) . JL is the man on our D - it doesn't work the same without him there - so you want a guy ideally who's been learning the system and been mentored by Laurinaitis before he steps in to take control of that D.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Any thoughts on Eric Kendricks? I know he is a little on the smaller side (Approximately 6'0" and 230 lbs) but he seems to a tackling machine with great reactions, intensity and football IQ. He seems like a player that could at the very least fill in at both the OLB & MLB spots when needed and also provide Gregg Williams some interesting defensive packaging options with the good possibility of eventually replacing Laurinaitis when that day comes (Hopefully, not too soon!). But, I doubt Kendricks will last until the Rams 2nd Round pick anyway and I don't see them picking him with their #10 pick.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Until then....

jl.gif
This works for me!!(y)(y)

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
JL is not done and is tough as nails. Calls the front 7 players and does that fairly well.
So mentally he's solid. Physically he's strong and tackles well when he is position. He has a harder time in pass coverage and always being in position since he's slower. The big nickle will cover some of that.
Perhaps we bring a LB if a LB is the BPA in the 15 draft or the following year make it a priority.
Laurinaitis' current extended deal will keep him under contract through the 2017 season and is worth a total of $42.2 million, of which approximately $23 million is guaranteed. He and the majority of the D is now under contract through 2016 and if you ask me, the D isn't broken.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Until then....

jl.gif

Didn't McDonald get the green light to make adjustments? I could have sworn I heard (maybe even in his rookie year) he was doing that.