Let's talk about our MLB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Whilst I agree a Bobby Wagner type MLB would be a slight upgrade, JL's football IQ and organisation on the field is really high and one of the best in the league imo. He's gregg Williams voice on the field. Great leader and an underated blitzer,

A perfect example of this is the Bronchos game. Him and Peyton changing the defensive and offence ive plays to match each other. Love 55 man

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I hear Chris Borland is available.

LOL

He is available

As a motivational speaker for:
Anniversaries, Bachelorette Parties, Birthday Parties, Children's Birthday Parties, Celebrations, Christenings, Christmas Parties, Church Services Clubs, Community Events
Conventions, Corporate Functions, and Funerals

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care about having a thumper. I'd rather just have a great MLB. I'd prefer range and athleticism over a thumper. But I do think it's time to start looking for a successor.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is another reason I want to trade down in the 1st and get an additional 2nd. Denzel Perryman from U of Miami is on my radar!!!!!

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
If the Rams use a pick on defense in the first 3 rounds, Imay murder someone. This defense is set. Finish the Offense. I'd hate to see the Rams ruin another quarterback by not getting him the support he needs.

Big Willie

Starter
With the exception of what I have seen from Donald, everyone on D seems to have obvious holes in their game. JL is no exception and MLB (depth at least) will need to be addressed sometime over the next two years... Personally, I would like someone who fills better, and makes more plays in the backfield; but for intelligence, toughness, leadership, and balls to the wall effort, JL is the man!

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
James Laurinaitis kicks major ASS like a devil Ram clanging horns ! Nobody can tell me that James Laurinaitis isn't the epitome MAN/ANIMAL middle linebacker!:eek:

James is our Lee Roy Jordan... Laurinaitis may not shine like a supernova star, but James labors in the middle like the Greek God Atlas, day after play, after play after day!

Bradford, Our Entire Offensive Line, WR's, and the Fill in The Blank Rams missed multiple games because of injuries. But not James! JL bites the bullet. grits his teeth and carries on the once proud Ram's tradition of never giving up! James has started 96 games out of 96 games! Sun rises... Sun sets...James suits up.(y)

James is funny,:ROFLMAO: he's a leader, James keeps things loose in the locker room. James is one of the few superb Ram examples of a man, husband, warrior and football player.

Yet, yes I'm sad... How long can James dig his cleats in the artificial grass for the Rams and ROD?

So yeah, oh yeah... I've got to ask myself...Do we draft a middle linebacker in 2015 or 2016? :cry:

Every night I pray to God... GOD! Let Laurinatis defy all odds! Please let James Laurinatis be the Jackie Slater lynchpin of the Ram Blue and Gold 21st Century! God, gird James Laurinatis's loins with Greek God strength so that James might shove the nasty back in Ram's Dynasty!:LOL::ROFLMAO::cool:

Last edited:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
With the exception of what I have seen from Donald, everyone on D seems to have obvious holes in their game. JL is no exception and MLB (depth at least) will need to be addressed sometime over the next two years... Personally, I would like someone who fills better, and makes more plays in the backfield; but for intelligence, toughness, leadership, and balls to the wall effort, JL is the man!
Said very well JL brings team LEADERSHIP along with Chris Long brings toughness and effort but NONE OF THOSE make our defense what it can be. Denzel Perryman behind our D line would make as many tackles as the 3rd round ROOKIE ( Chris Borland) who led the whiners in tackles last season with 128 and they have 4 LB's making tackles . I wanted him over Tre' Mason but am glad we dodged that bullet now.
I'm literally stunned to see so many die hard RAMS fans that obviously have been missing all the drag down tackles and mostly Missed tackles made by JL and he takes horrible angles and can't tie Walkers shoes with what he does for the seahawks and the LB's for the whiners and even Washington when he is on the field for the Cards is twice as fast and takes great angles.
JL is overpaid and his $$$ goes UP the next 2 years and his great smarts and awesome leadership is not why he gets overpaid. He can be relaced by quite a few rookies coming out. JL is just purely SLOW and that GIF above is his only hit like that I can remember since his rookie year. Go ahead and hate me but I know on another board my opinion is the one most feel is correct. JL is a DRAG DOWN tackler that tackles his guy 5 yards down the field on average.
I have the Cowboys game and the away seahawk game and the season opener and many more where we got run over on our so called awesome defense. JL is not a blitzer as he is too slow to get home. How many sacks does he have or avg.? AO is really improving on his pass rush blitzes and run blitzes. Some have said let JL play through this year at his reduced pay but start the draftee next season after getting reps this season. We should'nt have to pay for team leadership or defensive playcalling. We can teach that and yes a REAL THUMPER would make our defense the top 5 defense it should be with just a CB change also.
I truly think JL is holding us back. Wanted a replacement with Chris Borland who if he brought those 128 tackles to the RAMS from Wisconsin in the 3RD round no one would worship JL like I just read post after post.I know a few names in the later rounds like Emanuel from North Dakota State that could bring the pain we are now missing in the 6th round even and train him up. Don't expect a Perryman or the small but very good LB from UCLA who will rack up the tackles for some team like Davis with 3 ACL injuries does and Luke Kuechkly(sp?) does for the panthers and both SB teams had Thumpers if you watched the game.
Are we gonna get run all over again next season like in KC and so many places? We have a lesser schedule and I hate to see our front line guys not have a real Head Hunter lined up behind them. JL is effeciant if that. I'm not a fan and I don't judge a player by his team leadership but by his tackles per game and how far behind the line of scrimmage is VERY important. We could save money and someone else could make the calls on the D like our smart USC SS. Its been done before. I think the facts are on my side against some fans emotions with JL. Lots of tackles and sacks are there for the taking and I also think Chris Long is on the begining downside of his career and is overpaid as his hip injury seems to return with ankle and other injuries he gets dinged up every year now. Our top 2 team emotional leaders? I'm a realist who wants the best for the RAMS. Just mpo. Don't kill me please if you disagree. Other Rams boards have current MLB replacement threads as we speak. I'm not alone.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think if I'm drafting to upgrade one of our 11 defensive starters Rodney McCleod and Jenkins would be far and away ahead of JL. I'll take intelligence any day over thumping.
He's the least of our problems. People used to want to replace Chris Long too. Until he wasn't there. Now, not so much.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Stephone Anthony...MLB, Clemson....me likey...a whole bunchy
clemson-linebacker-stephone-anthony.jpg

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
He is available

As a motivational speaker for:
Anniversaries, Bachelorette Parties, Birthday Parties, Children's Birthday Parties, Celebrations, Christenings, Christmas Parties, Church Services Clubs, Community Events
Conventions, Corporate Functions, and Funerals

Fucking hilarious! ;)

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
When JL55 is truly a weak link on this team, we will have officially arrived. That hasn't come close to happening yet...

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I think if I'm drafting to upgrade one of our 11 defensive starters Rodney McCleod and Jenkins would be far and away ahead of JL. I'll take intelligence any day over thumping.
He's the least of our problems. People used to want to replace Chris Long too. Until he wasn't there. Now, not so much.
Intelligence never made one tackle. His(JL) time is past. I'm so sorry. We all have to let go sometimes when we are seeing that a persons leadership is more valuable as it has been than a real tackler who can stop a runner on 3rd and 2 yards for a upcoming 4th down. JL can't EVER do it ! Forgive me for bringing the truth. Just showing up and being smart, slow and smart has no part with our great D Line and its depth.

If Chris Long goes down for the 3rd year in a row then I'm sorry we have another Bradford type issue. We have backups with Sims and I think Hayes for 1 more year. We need to be looking for our next pass rusher with a little more size and has the same effort and leadership. The Oregan DE is a little bit off and on but with coaching he may not be a bust and looks like the Cards DE from Miami. Armstead is the rookie. I don't want him when we need OL. Don't think the WR's or even Scherff will make our 10 spot. I see a trade down IF we get the value Snead seeks. Then take an OT or Erving late and picking up Cann or Tomlinson in the second unless Petty is sitting there. Then back to Center in the third round to get the one we want. I want someone that is stronger than 23 reps at the combine as our starter for 6-7 years. Learning Williams system coincided with the return of the sacks and Donald should have started from game one too.

I see McLeod shocking me and improving as I was'nt a fan early this past year and YES Jenkins takes too many risks on double moves and gets burned regularly. The MSU guy is not good enough to replace him though. The CB that punched his coach out and many will pass on is the best CB in this draft. Maybe we get lucky with another Gaines pick. No 5th round pick this year tho.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not looking to add a rookie MLB to our already young and inexperienced defense. JL is smart, learns the defense before anyone else, is there all the time, has a nose for the ball, is a great locker room guy, and contrary to belief, lays the wood from time to time. I'd take him over most of the ILB/MLBs in the league. So replacing him with a thumper, may mean you give up all the good parts of JL for a few splash plays. And how many bad reads ala Ray Malaluga (sp?) do you give up in return? If there was a sure fire lock MLB when we pick, I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing him. But the guy would have to be better than Bates is right now.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I could see JL becoming a CAP casualty in 2016. While his CAP hit will rise near $2.5 mil. to almost $6.5mil. next year, his dead money cost drops to under $1.mil. It's possible he may be in line for an extension, although I feel Chris Long may be the better candidate. Moving on from a cherished player is always difficult, but sometimes difficult business decisions have to made to take the next step.
One thing I will add though is that JL seemed to really catch onto Williams scheme in a few games last season, but that proved inconsistent. 2015 will be an important year for him for future consideration. jmo.

fancents86

Starter
I've been seeing the word "elite" thrown around a lot lately. We need an "elite" rb, an "elite" mlb, an "elite" qb. You don't need an elite player at every single position to win games or the big dance for that matter. Not one single team out there as an "elite" player at each position. No need to get rid of a dependable guy in search of that one type player. I don't see JL as that big of a problem so I think he's fine.

Last edited:

A55VA6

Legend
Laurinaitis is a good player. You know what you're going to get from him each and every game. He's smart, durable, and consistent. He may not be that flashy, or an "elite" player, but he's the next best thing, imo.

Although, I do think within the next few years the Rams should look to draft his replacement.