Let's talk about our MLB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
question isn't is Laurnaitis a good mlber but does he fit Williams system? IMO no.

no mlber has graded lower in the last 5 years vs the run then Laurenaitis per focus. Very rarely tackles anyone behind the line of scrimmage and struggles to take on blockers in the run game..best words to describe him as smart and safe...probably best in a cover 2 zone system. An Attacking defense with a safe mlb? Think not....bet Williams would kill for Perryman.

watch the list of the 30 official visits and see if we are bringing in Perryman, Ramik Wilson or Stephone Anthony

also watch for 2 down thumpers like Taiwan Jones, Terrence Plummer or Luc..Williams doesn't need a 3 down mlb with all his sub packages
Didn't Vilma thrive in GW system go to 3 pro bowls, and while Vilma was athletic the only thing he has on JL is force fumbles.
Vilma: 125 games, 612 tackles, 259 assisted tackles,11 forced fumbles, 3 defensive touchdowns,12 interceptions, 40 passes defended, 10.5 sacks
JL:96 games, 593 tackles,151 assisted tackles,00 forced fumbles,0 defensive touchdowns,9 interceptions,32 passes defended,15.5 sacks
So saying JL doesn't fit GW scheme is bogus the thing is he doesn't fit the scheme some of our poster think he should.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Didn't Vilma thrive in GW system go to 3 pro bowls, and while Vilma was athletic the only thing he has on JL is force fumbles.
Vilma: 125 games, 612 tackles, 259 assisted tackles,11 forced fumbles, 3 defensive touchdowns,12 interceptions, 40 passes defended, 10.5 sacks
JL:96 games, 593 tackles,151 assisted tackles,00 forced fumbles,0 defensive touchdowns,9 interceptions,32 passes defended,15.5 sacks
So saying JL doesn't fit GW scheme is bogus the thing is he doesn't fit the scheme some of our poster think he should.
I agree with you, but just short of 100%. I do think the lack of forced fumbles is a big deal -- before Vilma can go back to Godfrey with Tennessee in 2000 -- and in a perfect world GW probably wants a more physical turnover machine in there at MLB. However, to say JL doesn't fit is farther from the truth, as his calls & sacks & flying around the field are all great fits.

I think JL will have a great year after being gimped by injury the first half of last year. The comment that PFF has JL rated "last in run support" is not anything to hold against JL, just another reason to consider PFF moronic and useless. If a grading system wants to grade him poorly, fine I always accept a difference of opinion, but claiming he's the worst run stopping LB in the NFL is idiotic.

My guess is GW's opinion on JL is like most Rams fans on JL -- they wish for that dreamy elite guy but JL's not part of the problem, especially not right now compared to other needs. They were willing to go into last season with less at LB, now they've added Ayers, so my little $.02 is they will put JL's successor off another year. I do not believe the Rams will draft any LB, except maybe 7th round Chase Williams (just because).

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm late to this discussion...BUT will someone explain to me HOW JL is undersized???

I heard Patrick Willis...that guy is 6' 1" 242...JL is 6' 2" 248...will someone explain that???

Sometimes people perceive things quite wrong. That's said, indeed it's time to consider drafting JL's replacement...but in my mind if he's as solid as JL has been...bring the guy. If he's even better, that's GRAVY.