let Rodger walk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IF we don't sign Saffold it really puts us behind the 8 ball because we'd have to address multiple positions on the OL via the draft.

The highly probable loss of Saffold does do exactly what you said puts Snead & Fisher where they do not want to be. The OL is in shambles with four various former starter involved in free Agency but three other OL starters coming of Injuries & Surgeries Thats eight Ram OL'ers.

Snead & Fisher have already made comments on two UFA's in Williams & Saffold desiring for them to return. having those two back would remove the big Swing OT issue that's on their back currently. Having Saffold under contract along with Williams would remove some of the big pressing needs they will have when the draft opens up. NOT Good if we are forced to target OL'ers when other or better picks are still on the boards. It could cause for some more reaches like Quick & Pead. But in truth Saffold & Williams both have Red Flags too.

To me Saffold's best spot would be the starting Left OG position. I would make it clear to Saffold thats where he would be penciled in as starer. I would also let him know that he would have a very good chance he would be working OLT/OLG in TC & pre season due to the unknown readiness of Jake Long. That may help him in negotiations. In truth Saffold was beat out of his starting position by ORT Joe Barksdale. Saffold knows he had issues on that Right side & looks to have voiced his demands to his Agents to find him a LEFT GIG!

Having Saffold holding down those tow left side post & at the same time having Chris Williams backing up Saffold in holding those two left side post just makes great planning to plug up that present gaping hole there with two well seasoned well know Ram OL'ers. If Long returns in September or October of regular season then the Rams have fixed the left side. Now all they have to do is find their future starting 2014 OC/RG & their future starting 2015 ORT .

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The highly probable loss of Saffold does do exactly what you said puts Snead & Fisher where they do not want to be. The OL is in shambles with four various former starter involved in free Agency but three other OL starters coming of Injuries & Surgeries Thats eight Ram OL'ers.

Snead & Fisher have already made comments on two UFA's in Williams & Saffold desiring for them to return. having those two back would remove the big Swing OT issue that's on their back currently. Having Saffold under contract along with Williams would remove some of the big pressing needs they will have when the draft opens up. NOT Good if we are forced to target OL'ers when other or better picks are still on the boards. It could cause for some more reaches like Quick & Pead. But in truth Saffold & Williams both have Red Flags too.
Flags, but for good and bad reasons. Saff would be very hard to replace, Williams, a little easier.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Flags, but for good and bad reasons. Safford would be very hard to replace, Williams, a little easier.

So true on Saffold how can Snead & Fisher just go out & find or draft an Oler who can start @ four OL positions at any given time? If you drafted Robinson sure he could start @ OLG & be just as good as Saffold @ OLT Robinson would not be up to Saffold's level. If you selected Matthews you would get a ready out of the box player who could do all that Saffold can do maybe Matthews would be a better ORT than Saffold but Matthews would not be on par with Saffold @ OLT or the two OG posts either. So in truth Saffold can just about name his price here or any other team too. The red flag & its a big one Saffold is always INJURED! Like I said

DR RAM yes Chris Williams could easily be replaced by both Robinson & Mathews. But as I stated last night on your post CW was very healthy the last two seasons for the Rams something Saffold has not been since 2010!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
So true on Saffold how can Snead & Fisher just go out & find or draft an Oler who can start @ four OL positions at any given time? If you drafted Robinson sure he could start @ OLG & be just as good as Saffold @ OLT Robinson would not be up to Saffold's level. If you selected Matthews you would get a ready out of the box player who could do all that Saffold can do maybe Matthews would be a better ORT than Saffold but Matthews would not be on par with Saffold @ OLT or the two OG posts either. So in truth Saffold can just about name his price here or any other team too. The red flag & its a big one Saffold is always INJURED! Like I said

DR RAM yes Chris Williams could easily be replaced by both Robinson & Mathews. But as I stated last night on your post CW was very healthy the last two seasons for the Rams something Saffold has not been since 2010!
There were a lot of healthy players that stunk. Remember....insert name here, lol.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There were a lot of healthy players that stunk. Remember....insert name here, lol.

Well please allow me to do that ....

ORG/OLG Shelley Smith big stinker & fail on in field performance. The thing about Shelley is he has some talent but not in a power run blocking man up unit he could work well in zone blocking schemes.
OLG/OLT Chris Williams another big stinker in on field performance truth is CW is NOT NFL level starting material period.
STANK sat on Tim Barnes big in the Seattle game along with Brandon Washington too. To be fair on Brandon he was thrown into a hell zone half way in that Seattle last game.

Washington looks to be a valid 8th or 9th Ram OL'er. Jones & if they resign Tim Barnes should be a decent starting Center in one of them.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Well please allow me to do that ....

ORG/OLG Shelley Smith big stinker & fail on in field performance. The thing about Shelley is he has some talent but not in a power run blocking man up unit he could work well in zone blocking schemes.
OLG/OLT Chris Williams another big stinker in on field performance truth is CW is NOT NFL level starting material period.
STANK sat on Tim Barnes big in the Seattle game along with Brandon Washington too. To be fair on Brandon he was thrown into a hell zone half way in that Seattle last game.

Washington looks to be a valid 8th or 9th Ram OL'er. Jones & if they resign Tim Barnes should be a decent starting Center in one of them.
Good job, but I don't see what you see in Washington, and I didn't ever see what they saw in Goldberg...sorry, had to mention his sorry ass. Barnes might be a marginal to average player., so I'm Ok with him. I've heard that Tommy Boy(B. Jones) is working hard, which he needs to...way too soft, although, from what I saw, he always seemed to find a way to block his guy--talking preseason here. He still gave up too much ground. If he truly works hard in the weight room, we might have something there, hopefully at Center, because he's a smart guy, but I'd be fine with him at guard, if, and it;s a big IF he can move guys. I haven't seen that.

CW, not good enough on any level, or any scoring dynamic, we agree on that. Barnes, IMB, is average at best.,,,hoping Jones can replace him. I've heard that he is working hard. We need an influx of talent to work with on our OL, or we're screwed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good job, but I don't see what you see in Washington, and I didn't ever see what they saw in Goldberg...sorry, had to mention his sorry ass. Barnes might be a marginal to average player., so I'm Ok with him. I've heard that Tommy Boy(B. Jones) is working hard, which he needs to...way too soft, although, from what I saw, he always seemed to find a way to block his guy--talking preseason here. He still gave up too much ground. If he truly works hard in the weight room, we might have something there, hopefully at Center, because he's a smart guy, but I'd be fine with him at guard, if, and it;s a big IF he can move guys. I haven't seen that.

CW, not good enough on any level, or any scoring dynamic, we agree on that. Barnes, IMB, is average at best.,,,hoping Jones can replace him. I've heard that he is working hard. We need an influx of talent to work with on our OL, or we're screwed.

Dr Ram I have seen Barrett play for many yrs he is a keeper believe me. he will never overpower anyone but he does not loose any either. Jones will get his shot to unseat Barnes & Wells if those two are retained highly unlikely Wells will be here after the last cuts take place if Barnes & Jones play to close to his level. I think Washington can replace CW & SS as the back up OG he can also pinch hit @ ORT if need be but he would be OK he has some size and is tough. If Barnes is signed & he can hold onto the starting Center post then Barrett could see action in Harvey Dahl old post @ ORG. Jones started 26 games for Bama @ ORG. The 6-5 308 pound Jones could hold the fort down until one of the rookies overtakes him but I really think Jones will find a place as a starter @ ORG or OC if the Rams fail in drafting talented rookies.

If Fisher is force to go with what he has yes we are looking @ a Number one overall pick in 2015 & yes we will be a screwed. That last Seattle game will be repeated 16 times in 2014 and this forum will be empty.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Dr Ram I have seen Barrett play for many yrs he is a keeper believe me. he will never overpower anyone but he does not loose any either. Jones will get his shot to unseat Barnes & Wells if those two are retained highly unlikely Wells will be here after the last cuts take place if Barnes & Jones play to close to his level. I think Washington can replace CW & SS as the back up OG he can also pinch hit @ ORT if need be but he would be OK he has some size and is tough. If Barnes is signed & he can hold onto the starting Center post then Barrett could see action in Harvey Dahl old post @ ORG. Jones started 26 games for Bama @ ORG. The 6-5 308 pound Jones could hold the fort down until one of the rookies overtakes him but I really think Jones will find a place as a starter @ ORG or OC if the Rams fail in drafting talented rookies.

If Fisher is force to go with what he has yes we are looking @ a Number one overall pick in 2015 & yes we will be a screwed. That last Seattle game will be repeated 16 times in 2014 and this forum will be empty.
I think he can play, and is a keeper, but I see him as a Center, and he needs to get stronger, which in all reports I'm hearing, he is doing. You know that a QB is screwed if he get pressure up the middle. I hope he's that guy. He'd have to get a LOT stronger to be the Guard that I want for the identity that I think we discovered. Maybe I expect, or want too much....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think he can play, and is a keeper, but I see him as a Center, and he needs to get stronger, which in all reports I'm hearing, he is doing. You know that a QB is screwed if he get pressure up the middle. I hope he's that guy. He'd have to get a LOT stronger to be the Guard that I want for the identity that I think we discovered. Maybe I expect, or want too much....

DR RAM I agree that Barrett Jones is the future center for this Ram team maybe not early this season but it will happen it was the smarts of Barrett that brought him here. Barrett has 3 inches on Wells in height, 34 inch plus arms & 10 pounds on Wells.... Jones is about a decade younger. Barrett & Sam working together to get the right calls will be great.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Just pony up and pay the man. According to my calculations on Overthecap.com (I don't know if its accurate tbh but I'm just rolling with it) I was able to give us a cap of $14m for 2014 by cutting Dahl, Wells and Finnegan alone. So resign Saffold, sign our Draft picks and still sign a vet. corner like Charles Tillman at $6.5m.

EDIT -

And that's without restructuring deals like Bradfords, C.Longs or J.Laurainitis's deals.

F. Mulder

Starter
make him the offer they think he's worth and take the consequences. If it is the highest offer or ole Rodger suddenly develops a hometown discount type feeling for the Rams. If neither of those things happen then best of luck.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If you pony up better have several emergency plans for the highly likely Saffold injury either before the season starts like in 2010,2011 & 2013 or when Saffold went out by the second game of the season in 2012 & 2013 or when he went out on IR by mid season in 2011. Because we know he will go down at some point or twice or maybe three times like he did in 2013.

A55VA6

Legend
I want Rodger back. ELITE talent at the guard spot especially at pull blocks. He'll probably get Jake Long money but it might be worth it. If he does leave though, I think it's important to draft someone.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think not only do we need him back but he will be back. Without him I say we need to pick OL with all our too picks barring the Watkins pick. It makes things much easier if he stays.

If it means he's the only impact FA we get then it's worth it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want Rodger back. ELITE talent at the guard spot especially at pull blocks. He'll probably get Jake Long money but it might be worth it. If he does leave though, I think it's important to draft someone.

I wouldn't give him Long money. Most I'd give him is $7 million a year annually with protections in place in terms of guaranteed money for injuries.

A55VA6

Legend
I wouldn't give him Long money. Most I'd give him is $7 million a year annually with protections in place in terms of guaranteed money for injuries.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I agree with you. I think other teams will give him Long money.. a lot of teams are interested in him, And if they offer him LT and that money, he's gone. If Saffold leaves, I want Robinson in the draft.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
OC is a lot like the WR position on this team. I really think jones and Barnes have promise. They need to prove their worth this year. I can't justify paying a premium for anyone at that position with the exception of Mack. I don't want them drafting any mid round guys there or mid level free agents. Either Mack or one of our guys.

A55VA6

Legend
Would you guys be content with Barksdale being the starting RT? I think he was great in the run game and did a decent job pass protecting. I think he deserves the staring spot at this point. I like him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Would you guys be content with Barksdale being the starting RT? I think he was great in the run game and did a decent job pass protecting. I think he deserves the staring spot at this point. I like him.

Yes ! I do unless Barksdale is beat out like Barksdale beat out Rodger Saffold for the Right OT post !

The player rep for free agent OL Rodger Saffold is telling people his client doesn't want to play right tackle.

Saffold either wants to be a guard or left tackle. Saffold's willingness to play guard increases the chances St. Louis re-signings him, because that's where coach Jeff Fisher believes Saffold best fits. If Saffold does reach the open market, "several teams" are expected to pursue him. He turns 26 in June.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5856/rodger-saffold

"according to Herman(agent). He’d rather not play right tackle."
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_347318e9-a482-5fcf-84f3-fc0079d7d978.html