let Rodger walk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I still think his injury issues are a product of his tackle play. Think about how he's gotten injured on the field. Most of the time, it's in space. As a guard, he's not working so much in space, and he's on the attack.

That said, I would still expect the Rams to include incentives in any contract for Saffold.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I don't think the Rams are "letting him walk"...but I think they will put a value on him and proceed accordingly. If another team is willing to go all in on him then I don't think the Rams will match.

He'd be great to have back but you can't argue if the Rams are gun shy in giving him big money.

Yup. I liken this situation to how the Rams approached Amendola's Free Agency last year. If Saffold's agent is determined to get him premier tackle money, I don't see the Rams trying to keep pace with other clubs' offers.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Saffold was an excellent guard. I would love to have him in St. Louis. Even if he misses a few games each year, if the Rams made it into the playoffs next year, I would be much happier having Roger leading the charge at Guard in the big games.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
All of the concerns about his injury history that we have as fans I would guess are also concerns for GMs around the league. So I'm not 100% sure that he is going to be getting showered with money. I want to see him stay with the Rams like most posters do and I think that if his agent cannot land a big deal he won't sign somewhere else for about about the same money, he will stay put in STL.

I'm hoping that's how it turns out. I read an article on another board that suggested the Rams franchise him.......that's the most ridiculous option I've heard so far.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thought this may be some good reads below here on Saffold. I read something early this morning where his agent said Saffold wanted no part of Right OT post. I'll try to find the link. It would seem his agent is want Saffold to land a OLT post $$$ naturally.

The Rams will meet with free agent G/T Rodger Saffold's agent at the Combine on Saturday. Saffold is the Rams' No. 1 priority among their own free agents. All five of St. Louis' offensive line positions are unsettled at this point, and Saffold profiles as a guard in the Rams' eyes. Saffold will likely test free agency to see if he can find a team willing to let him play left tackle, but we'd be surprised if that happens. Saffold can play every position on the line except for center.

According to XTRA 910 Phoenix's Mike Jurecki, free agent G/T Rodger Saffold is expected to be "on the Cardinals' radar" if he hits the open market.

Arizona needs help at both tackle positions and right guard. Saffold's best position is guard, but it's no secret his preference is tackle, probably because that's where the most money is in the NFL. The Rams have made it clear they value Saffold most at guard, making it quite conceivable that he gets away. Feb 21 - 3:05 PM

Speaking Friday, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said free agent G/T Rodger Saffold is "ultimately (going) to be an outstanding guard in this league."

If there was any doubt as to where the Rams thought Saffold fit best, it's been put to rest. Saffold still appears to prefer tackle, but that's not what he'll be playing if he ends up back in St. Louis. The position loggerheads should ensure Saffold hits the open market. Fisher's comments are also an indication the Rams are very much open to going offensive tackle at No. 2 overall. Feb 21 - 2:13 PM

The Rams will meet with free agent G/T Rodger Saffold's agent at the Combine on Saturday.
Saffold is the Rams' No. 1 priority among their own free agents. All five of St. Louis' offensive line positions are unsettled at this point, and Saffold profiles as a guard in the Rams' eyes. Saffold will likely test free agency to see if he can find a team willing to let him play left tackle, but we'd be surprised if that happens. Saffold can play every position on the line except for center. Feb 21 -

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5856/rodger-saffold

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/24/snead-says-rams-wont-use-franchise-tag-this-year/
Snead says Rams won’t use franchise tag this year

Posted by Mike Florio on February 24, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
saffold.jpg

Scratch the Rams from the list of teams that possibly will use the franchise tag in 2014.

During a recent interview with Pro Football Talk on NBCSN, Rams G.M. Les Snead characterized offensive lineman Rodger Saffold (pictured) as the team’s top priority in free agency. But Snead said that the team won’t use the franchise tag on Saffold, or on anyone.

“[W]e will try to get Saffold done, just through natural, regular negotiations,” Snead said.

With the Rams viewing Saffold over the long haul as a guard, applying the franchise tag makes little sense, given that the calculation lumps all offensive linemen into the same category — which means the tag reflects elite left tackle money.

The Rams have no other big-name free agents that would justify franchise-tag money, so it makes sense that they won’t be using the franchise tag.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
This outcome is going to be interesting, to say the least and most

If he walks we have a gapping hole at LG. This would be filled through the draft but which round is that targeted, now a must position fill player selected. Likely teams interested; Cardinals, Steelers, Browns and Lions to name a few who have the cap space/need. However we have no clue if he will demand and only settle for (left) tackle money.

I don't know much about the guards in this draft saw D. Yankey play twice last year and he seemed to dominate.

If he stays likely would be a huge Snisher/Bordeau connection and continuity. Obviously a huge bonus and our only big splash in f/a, which is fine for me. Address safety higher and snag Louisville FS Pryor at #13 for starters.

#2 is a mind fuk for me to have a preference or guess on what happens there right now. Give me CloWatThe

jap

Legend
Rodger would make a nice neutralizer for Seattle DT Mebane, who punked our interior OL in the final game of the season last year.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I read on twitter today that Rodger's agent said he wants to play LT or G, but not RT.

tonyl711

Starter
Rodger would make a nice neutralizer for Seattle DT Mebane, who punked our interior OL in the final game of the season last year.
to be fair, LT, RT, RG and Center were all played by depth players not starters, when the Oline was intact against Seattle in the earlier game they did a pretty solid job.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'd rather sign Alex Mack than re-sign Saffold. Mack hasn't missed a game in his 5 year career, and has been to 2 pro bowls, at 28 years old.

Also, Fisher seems to like spending his money on the Center position. He paid quite a bit to get an older Scott Wells a couple years ago, as he did in 2006 to get an aging Kevin Mawae.

Mack plays center. Not sure how they are related. Roger can be a pro bowl guard. I'm not sure why people think you can just "find" solid starters in later rounds of the draft. Not saying we can't but Roger has had some freak injuries, non of which happened playing inside.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
To be honest; sign Incognito and use the Rodger dollars elsewhere. He's a good player, but history shows he's not going to hold up.
I usually agree with you bro, but I wouldn't touch Richie with a 10' poll. We don't need that kind of crap to deal with.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
IF we don't sign Saffold it really puts us behind the 8 ball because we'd have to address multiple positions on the OL via the draft.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
now if you're talking about Roger Goodell, then I totally agree with you!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
While it's nice to have a guy who can start at four positions, this administration is reticent to spend money on talented but injury plagued players (Jake Long notwithstanding). Guys like DX, Amendola, Jason Smith, and SJax were Not For Long players for the Rams and history proved Snisher was right. Does anyone else not remember Fisher touting how he wanted DA and SJ39 back on the team? While there was truth to it, the Rams correctly value players likely to stay on the field. Rodger has yet to prove capable in this regard.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I wonder if Rodger is happy to stay but his agent is trying to push for a bigger contract elsewhere?

Not that agents are scum or anything, of course.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My own preference would be to be a great Guard instead of an average Tackle. However he may get well above average Tackle money.

What would suck is if he leaves for another team on the premise of being an OLT and after a year gets moved to Guard because they draft another OLT.

I am no Pro athlete, but to me there would be considerable weight in my decision to stay, if I was with a team from the start of my career, that I have helped go from the bottom of the league to an emerging playoff team. But I guess money talks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He played great, not good at guard.,,,just saying.