Les Snead Better Be Right

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Chargers picked him at #38 (Lamp), and there was surprise about the JuCo TE pick that we picked in the trade down. I'm not an armchair GM or a scout, but I DO know how badly we sucked on the Oline last year is all. Sullivan is probably better than Barnes...but what that really means is to be seen.
My point is that the final tally of how this draft went down is the true indictment of what REAL NFL evaluators thought of this OL class. And it is a FACT that this was the worst in quite some time. And it's a fact that draftniks and fans over valued many of this class.the facts bear it out in how the draft went down. First time in the modern era of the NFL (since 1967) that only ONE OL went in the first Rd .. .then it payed out throughout the draft.

this wasn't a mistake on the Rams part, IMHO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Seattle only drafted 1 before the 6th round. One could argue they need more help than almost any team.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Seattle only drafted 1 before the 6th round. One could argue they need more help than almost any team.

Yup. I think it was just a really subpar year for offensive lineman, and an above average year for defensive backs and deep at WR& TE.

FRO

Legend
Arm chair GM's and draftniks always rate players higher that the actual scouts, coaches and Front Offices do. You want a true measure to how good these draftable OL players are? Just look at what 32 actual NFL teams thought of them. That should tell you enough about "how bad we missed" and the like. f ANY of these players were as good as the "so called's" thought, they would have been drafted where they slotted them. Yes ... some will surprise, but the overall measure is what the actual teams saw and felt.

We have to trust our guy's. They know what our needs are and if they could have filled them. I saw a much better "plan" behind this draft than the past drafts over the last 6-7 yrs or so. I see vision. i see purpose. And I trust the coaching that we now have.
GMs miss a lot too. It's a crapshoot. Greg Robinson was the number 2 overall pick and would have been picked high if the Rams passed on him. Fans have every right to get upset or ecstatic over their teams draft. Don't know how many times I've loved a pick (Tavon Austin) and ended up being wrong. The same with hating a pick (James Laurinaitis) and being wrong.

In my opinion I think it was a huge mistake to pass on Lamp. The Rams offense sucked last year primarily due to the horrible line. I understand they signed some players, but they need to build a line that can dominate if they want to win. The reason the Cowboys were so good with rookies on offense was due to their line. If the Rams want a good offense they need better line play.

FRO

Legend
They do. That being said the Seahawks drafts always seem crappy to me, outside of the first few drafts with Carrol. Can't believe they passed on Lamp either.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My point is that the final tally of how this draft went down is the true indictment of what REAL NFL evaluators thought of this OL class. And it is a FACT that this was the worst in quite some time. And it's a fact that draftniks and fans over valued many of this class.the facts bear it out in how the draft went down. First time in the modern era of the NFL (since 1967) that only ONE OL went in the first Rd .. .then it payed out throughout the draft.

this wasn't a mistake on the Rams part, IMHO.
All it takes is one good pick, not the strength of an entire positional draft class, and Lamp was considered the best in the draft prior to the draft. Because he got pushed down in context, could have as much to do with the strength of the WR's and DB's available..which are more sexy as compared to the grunts on the line. No one expected Lamp to be there at #37, and the Rams wanted a TE or WR, Oline be damned. At least they got an extra pick I guess.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
When it comes to evaluating O-line, it always boils down to numerous variables: Specifically how he fits in the scheme and how he quickly he can process blocking assignments (football IQ). Continuity and intelligence are important factors and the lack of drafting a linemen shows that our 2015 draft class are more than capable of succeeding as a unit. I'm more confident with McVay/Kromer managing this unit because they're looking to follow new approaches in running a modern offense, specifically with how the middle of the O-line correlates to a higher football IQ.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When it comes to evaluating O-line, it always boils down to numerous variables: Specifically how he fits in the scheme and how he quickly he can process blocking assignments (football IQ). Continuity and intelligence are important factors and the lack of drafting a linemen shows that our 2015 draft class are more than capable of succeeding as a unit. I'm more confident with McVay/Kromer managing this unit because they're looking to follow new approaches in running a modern offense, specifically with how the middle of the O-line correlates to a higher football IQ.
hope your right.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
or this is his last year with the Rams. I'm just a fan that believes both the Offense and Defense schemes start out front. I have heard some say that Rams coaches must like what they have on the Oline, since they didn't address it whatsoever in the Draft. Whitworth and Sullivan FA pickups must have been all they intended to do with the Oline. I think it was an absolute fail not picking Forrest Lamp at #37, but hey, what do i know? I don't get paid to make these decisions and Les Snead does. If Gurley and Goff are getting no help again this year from the defensive push, Snead should be canned. yeah, he gets a lot of direction from coaches, but he is the lone holdover (besides Coach Bones) from the Fisher regime.

I want to be that guy that loves the taste of crow, but if I am right, I want Snead's head on a stick.

If Fish was still around I'm sure we would have drafted a couple OL and DL and you'd be happy. But no, McVay had to go out and focus on offensive weapons with explosive tendencies to help spread the field. I mean WTF WAS HE THINKING ANYWAY???

Sucks so bad to already know the season is over. I don't know what I'm gonna do with myself now. :fuelfire:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which ones?;)

Kupp
Reynolds
Smart
Rogers
Price

All stand out as highly productive and accomplished football players. Everett is more of an athlete, but he has produced and shown football ability.

FRO

Legend
I don't buy this theory at all and it's a theory that is very popular on this board. The theory is that we have good talent on offense, but Fisher was such a bad coach that they all played like crap. Fisher is a .500 coach in the league. He isn't great, he isn't good, but he's not totally abysmal. The guys on the offensive line weren't playing bad just because the coaching was bad (and it was) it was because they aren't that good of players. You win on offense and defense along the line of scrimmage. Having Donald, Brockwrs, and Quinn help the defense play well. The offense has a bunch of borderline starters and a very good LT, but he's 35 and his play and durability can easily jump off a cliff. Why this team doesn't consistently invest in the line with their draft picks baffles me. My main complaint with the Fisher and Snead regimes is that they didn't invest in the line until 2015. I think it was a mistake passing on Lamp.

All that being said, Everette is a great fit with McVay.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Fish was still around I'm sure we would have drafted a couple OL and DL and you'd be happy I'm sure. But no, McVay had to go out and focus on offensive weapons with explosive tendencies to help spread the field. I mean WTF WAS HE THINKING ANYWAY???

Sucks so bad to already know the season is over. I don't know what I'm gonna do with myself now. :fuelfire:
It's over....at least we'll having International Curling to look forward to...
0ZoxEt6.png

FRO

Legend
If Fish was still around I'm sure we would have drafted a couple OL and DL and you'd be happy. But no, McVay had to go out and focus on offensive weapons with explosive tendencies to help spread the field. I mean WTF WAS HE THINKING ANYWAY???

In 2012 and 2013 Fisher and Snead focused on getting playmakers. Quick, Pead, Givens, Austin, Bailey. They picked a few day 3 offensive linemen. I feel like it's a mistake passing on a very good linemen that fell right to you, considering how horrible the line was last year. Getting Gurley holes and Goff time to throw would do much more for scoring points than an athletic move TE does.

FRO

Legend
Outside the Kupp pick the draft is very meh to me, but the Kupp pick alone excites me. When was the last time the Rams have drafted a good WR. I believe Kupp is going to break the curse of bad WR picks. Super excited about that pick.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Chargers picked him at #38 (Lamp), and there was surprise about the JuCo TE pick that we picked in the trade down. I'm not an armchair GM or a scout, but I DO know how badly we sucked on the Oline last year is all. Sullivan is probably better than Barnes...but what that really means is to be seen.

That "JuCo TE" ... PFF has ranked 3rd, above Evan Engram.

He's constantly referred to as Njoku's athletic equivalent.... and is by far the best out of all the TE's this year in terms of Missed Tackles.

I believe he has like 14 more than the #2 guy (above Howard and Njoku)...

Yeah such a terrible pick.