LaCanfora: Teams Interested in Trading for Cook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/18/rams-shopping-jared-cook/

Rams shopping Jared Cook
Posted by Mike Florio on October 18, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptq5zdliztuxyje0n2e4ndk2zwuzzgfhmdq5zmewywfl-e1445190693558.jpeg
AP

Per a league source, the Rams are making calls to gauge interest in a trade for Cook, a big-money acquisition in free agency who has been good but not great in three-plus seasons with the team.

Jason La Canfora of CBS reports that teams have been calling the Rams about Cook; we’re hearing that the calls are being made by the Rams. It’s a subtle but significant distinction, since what the Rams get will be driven by the respective motivations of the buyer and the seller.

Cook has a base salary of $7 million this year, in 2016, and in 2017. Trading him would driver a $2 million cap hit in 2016.

The window for making trades closes on Tuesday, November 3.
Not surprising, there's only so much you can underachieve before they have to move on.

The guy had one great game for us way back when we first signed him, and then it's been a downhill of temper tantrums, horrible drops, bad concentration and just general lackluster play. I doubt we get much for him, but if we can swing for a good offensive player, be it a lineman or a wide receiver then it's immediately a win.

DenverRam

Starter
7 mil salary for chump change. I would shop his ass for soda for my teams vending machine like Billy Bean

Irish

Starter
Brandon Marshall fetched a 5th round pick, and he can actually play professional football.

Cook is worth almost nothing. They can kick tires all they want, but any GM that trades a decent pick or a young talented player for Jared Cook would be updating his resume while he sent the fax to the league offices.

Athos

Legend

Snead needs to work some more ass-raping Wizardy by forcing Cook upon the Bears + a 2nd or w/e for Alshon Jeffery.

Barring that, plenty of teams sucking wind out there or in need of some kind of spark. If they're desperate for Cookie, I'll drive up to St. Louis and pack his bags for free.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Dudes this is the best news we've had in a while. Really great news. You know what this means right? It means they're looking to get something for him before he's demoted or cut outright. It means they're going to hold him accountable for not playing well, that last game's film probably did him in. Good for the team all around.

I'm with Athos: package him with a second round pick for Alshon. Bears might jump at it. Use the Eagles' pick, since theirs likely will be worse than ours. But get it done.

Oh and for those gnashing their teeth over this... The offense is immediately better with one of the depth TEs blocking on the line. We'll get more out of Cunningham or Harkey or whoever and they will be good for a chain-moving reception or two a game as teams always struggle to identify receivers coming off the line when they're good at blocking. The team is also better with Bailey in the slot.

Next move needs to be cementing Austin/Bailey/Quick as the top three WRs. Unless of course Snead roster-rapes another team again.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
3 WR base set, no TE, 1 FB/TE is the answer to our woes here.
Britt or Quick, Austin, Bailey in the slot, Harkey or Kendricks. Puts our best players on the field the most, allows maximum creativity while maintaining the ability to run on every play.

Cook looks the part, but like a pretty gun with no bullets he's no weapon so far. One must catch a pass to be a weapon. This is all IMO of course. But to win you have to have some production on the field, not potential in practice.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Are teams required to give up something for a player? I'd give away Cook for free.

FRO

Legend
I guess we all figured out why the Titians let a big, young, athletic TE go. The 2013 offseason was so good on paper. It hasn't worked out as well as I'd hoped.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The entire league is looking for anything remotely Gronkowski related at that position. By related, I mean a TE that even knows where to line up after the huddle and not wander off into the tunnel looking for a snack. I think they get something fairly decent for him as he is a big TE.

rams2050

Starter
Also, "in the thick of the hunt?"

Really?

In the thick of WHAT hunt? :rolllaugh:

iced

god i so hope this happens - i'd even be happy with a 6th or 7th, just to dump his salary.

Cook can't block so if his forte is supposed to be receiving, with his drops i'd rather have him off the field, particularly in big situations.

FRO

Legend
Didn't the league rule that he would get a TE designation and they still didn't tag him?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait...are people actually saying no? Are you guys kidding? If we can get anything for Cook, TRADE HIM. We are going to cut him after the season. Take anything you can get. The guy is a liability on the field. Replace Cook with Stedman Bailey. When we need two TEs, use Harkey or if we want two TEs and a FB...use Cunningham or whoever else.

Cook is hurting this team more than helping at this point. He's been completely unreliable as a receiver and has killed us on 3rd downs. As a blocker, he's the same as he has ever been. Inconsistent as hell. We have to replace him this off-season anyways. Trade him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Bookmarking this thread.

Maybe we trade him... I dunno?

But I do know this; 5 games does not make a season.