Keenum to start

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I was against extending him, then when we did I jumped on board like I always do with the Rams. After the Seattle game I thought I was an idiot for not wanting the extension. Now I'm mad for always being a Rams sheep.
That went exactly the same way for me too. What else are you going to do as a fan though?

Oh well, another year of backup quarterback for any other reason.

BadCompany

Rookie
I guess it had to be done, but I'm still down from Sunday's game so I take no joy in this. Aren't we supposed to be past this at this stage in our rebuild? Four and a half years in and we're still using quarterbacks that were recently on practice squads? Not because of injury, but because of ineptitude?

Sigh.

I hope Keenum seizes the opportunity, I really do. But geez... when your season is riding on Case Keenum...

Bradmac41

UDFA
Name
Brad
Just think, the Rams probably could have had Mark Sanchez instead. Maybe next year they will trade for the equally inept RG3.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What plays deep where missed by Foles? He missed Britt in the first play against the Vikings, but other than that, what exactly?
Ive seen a handful of replays showing guys he's missed. Kendricks last week in the end zone pops to mind.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Austin Davis' issues aren't experience. They are physical. He just doesn't have an NFL caliber arm. He can't make the throws needed to be consistent.

I'm not missing the pick 6's from his game. Or the badly underthrown desperation throws downfield that were late.

While not a selling point, he looked to have a better arm than Shaun Hill. And while he can't make all the throws we might want, he could make enough to win games. And those pick 6's had more to do with inexperience, than physical skill, IMO.

I'd take his 2014 63.4 completion percentage ( 7 yards per completion) and 85.1 passer rating WITHOUT Todd Gurley over Foles 56.6 completion percentage (6.6 yards per completion) and 75.9 passer rating WITH Todd Gurley everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. And I'd guess this team would have a winning record right about now.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I guess it had to be done, but I'm still down from Sunday's game so I take no joy in this. Aren't we supposed to be past this at this stage in our rebuild? Four and a half years in and we're still using quarterbacks that were recently on practice squads? Not because of injury, but because of ineptitude?

Sigh.

I hope Keenum seizes the opportunity, I really do. But geez... when your season is riding on Case Keenum...

You've summed up my feelings on this better than I ever could.

maximus

Rookie
Ive seen a handful of replays showing guys he's missed. Kendricks last week in the end zone pops to mind.

That was an intermediate throw, and Foles had pressure right in his face, he was backpedaling to avoid the sack. He could not step up to deliver the ball he had to throw the ball over the defender in his face and on his back foot, the ball sailed on him. Even if you count this as a deep throw, it is still this one and the Britt deep ball in the first play against the Vikings.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see any circumstance outside of serious injuries to both Keenum and Foles where Mannion sees the field this year. As I mentioned earlier, he hasn't had a meaningful rep since training camp. And I don't see that changing.

In similar fashion to last year with Davis, Fisher will give Keenum ample opportunity to show what he can do. I don't see this being a one or two game audition.

If it blows up on them they will go back to Foles and claim this was merely a much needed chance to regain his confidence or some similar mumbo jumbo.

Thanks @CoachO

CoachO

Hall of Fame
While not a selling point, he looked to have a better arm than Shaun Hill. And while he can't make all the throws we might want, he could make enough to win games. And those pick 6's had more to do with inexperience, than physical skill, IMO.

I'd take his 2014 63.4 completion percentage ( 7 yards per completion) and 85.1 passer rating WITHOUT Todd Gurley over Foles 56.6 completion percentage (6.6 yards per completion) and 75.9 passer rating WITH Todd Gurley everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. And I'd guess this team would have a winning record right about now.
I didn't say they wouldn't be better with Davis. That's how bad Foles has been.

But quoting stats to make your argument is pretty lame. Austin Davis is not and will never be a starting caliber NFL QB.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have said since the first week of training camp the sooner he moved into the backup role the better.

But with this latest development, I think it means he will be held back even more. They aren't going to cast Foles aside. He is still going to be entrenched as the #2 making it even less likely that Mannion will have any opportunity to step up anytime soon. Just not how Fisher does things.

@CoachO Do you think Mannion has anything that maybe next year will help us or is he just another guy?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
@CoachO Do you think Mannion has anything that maybe next year will help us or is he just another guy?
I think he has the one intangible that will make him succeed. INTELLIGENCE

He processes information quickly and as he gets more comfortable in this offense he will know what to do with the ball. Then it's will be just adjusting to the speed of the NFL.

He has the size and can make the throws. But so does Foles. The thing that could nhipe Mannion will bring is the decision making.

Bur yes. I think he can and should be in th mix coming into 2016.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
The only way Keenum could be worse than Foles is right now is if he literally dies on the field and Fisher puts some puppet strings on him and controls him from the sideline.

Foles was literally the worst QB in the league at everything. Keenum can't be worse, it's statistically impossible.
Weekend at Bernie's
REX_weekend_at_bernies_kab_140129_16x9_992.jpg

maximus

Rookie
The only way Keenum could be worse than Foles is right now is if he literally dies on the field and Fisher puts some puppet strings on him and controls him from the sideline.

Foles was literally the worst QB in the league at everything. Keenum can't be worse, it's statistically impossible.

The worst QB in the league at everything was the only one to beat 2 top 3 defenses.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...OTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

No doubt Keenum can't be worse, so you can bet your house he will beat both Seattle and Arizona.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Just think, the Rams probably could have had Mark Sanchez instead. Maybe next year they will trade for the equally inept RG3.

Id be down for that. Although I'm not sure we would need to trade anything for him.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
As it appears in spotrac, he has some guaranteed money including $1mil in roster bonus + 6 more if on the roster come March. He has some $13+ million guaranteed total but the number that really will come into play is the $3.75 mil cap hit for 2016 and zero for 2017.

I'm sure the Rams will cut their losses and either allow him to restructure or cut him if he proves to be unsalvagable.

Either way it was a gamble and the extension is not likely to affect the team much. Certainly nothing like we are used to spending on a qb that doesn't play.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/17/rams-owe-foles-6-million-guaranteed-for-2016/

Rams owe Foles $6 million guaranteed for 2016
Posted by Mike Florio on November 17, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptuznmvizdliytrjythiytdmmtc0odq4n2zkngy5nwy1-e1447764223186.jpeg
AP

The Rams say they have no regrets about trading for quarterback Nick Foles or extending his contract, preserving the unbroken chain of NFL teams claiming that they don’t regret things they clearly should.

As to Foles, they’ll have 6 million reasons to regret the move in 2016.

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, the contract given to Foles earlier this year has a $6 million roster bonus due on the third day of the 2016 league year. The bonus is guaranteed for skill and injury, which means the Rams are on the hook for the amount.

Foles also has a salary in 2016 of $1.75 million, guaranteed only for injury until the fifth day of the 2016 league year, at which point it becomes fully guaranteed. While the Rams can avoid that by cutting him, they can’t avoid the $6 million roster bonus. The source says the $6 million roster bonus also has no offset language, meaning that Foles gets to keep the $6 million if he’s released, undiminished by anything he earns elsewhere.

The best move for the Rams, if they decide to move on from Foles in 2016, would be to trade him. And if there’s a team that views Foles as a starter, $7.75 million for 2016 isn’t a significant investment, given the market at the position. But if the Rams don’t want him to start after having him in the building since March, why should anyone else?

Under his new contract, Foles will earn a little over $6 million in 2015. In 2017, his total pay spikes to $12.25 million, which means that there’s a slim chance anyone will be employing him under the third and final year of the deal.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
The worst QB in the league at everything was the only one to beat 2 top 3 defenses.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...OTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

No doubt Keenum can't be worse, so you can bet your house he will beat both Seattle and Arizona.
I mean that's great and all, but Seattle and Arizona isn't now. That doesn't nearly change the fact that he is in the ownership of the worst statistics of QBs and his last 5 games have been horrible. Doesn't change that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and everybody from the announcers to Joe Scmhoe could see it. What exactly is hanging ones hat on what they did before mean when they can't do it now?