Keenum to start

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm both happy and sad. Happy that I don't have to watch Foles stink it up. Sad that we're stuck starting a backup QB again. A backup QB that might, again, be too short to find Austin over the middle.

Athos

Legend
I'm both happy and sad. Happy that I don't have to watch Foles stink it up. Sad that we're stuck starting a backup QB again. A backup QB that might, again, be too short to find Austin over the middle.

If Brees can do it.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::confused::confused::confused::cry::cry::cry::whistle::whistle::whistle: Maybe?

maximus

Rookie
I mean that's great and all, but Seattle and Arizona isn't now. That doesn't nearly change the fact that he is in the ownership of the worst statistics of QBs and his last 5 games have been horrible. Doesn't change that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and everybody from the announcers to Joe Scmhoe could see it. What exactly is hanging ones hat on what they did before mean when they can't do it now?

His last 5 games have not been horrible. The heavy punishment he took in GB was horrible.

He was good against the Browns and SF, Gurley scored an easy TD in each of those games after a long completion by Foles put the ball inside the 3 yard line. He did help the team put away those games, he was certainly not horrible.

The Vikings have a very good defense, which they rode to now being a top 2 seed in the NFC. They just limited to 14 points the great hope Derek Carr, which everyone says is a franchise QB. Foles led the team to 18 against them, should have been 21 and the win if Legatron did not miss a makeable FG, should have been even more if Tavon did not drop a well thrown deep ball from Foles.

Then the last game, Bears another top 10 defense, refs made sure to stick it to Fisher by calling holding after holding after holding call. That erased a TD, instead of 14-7 it got to 10-24. This team is not built to chase the game 2 TDs down against a top10 defense. This team is built to berun first, but being 2 TDs down limited Gurley to only 12 carries, exactly what the Bears wanted.

2 TDs down at the half, then in the first drive of second half, Foles converts a 1st down with a good throw to Tavon, refs immediately erase that with a holding call. 3rd and 17, good luck with that.
Second drive, Tavon drops a 3rd down inside the redzone, a well thrown ball from Foles away from the defender. FG, Bears drive down field to answer with another FG. Still a 2 TD deficit.

3rd drive is in the 4th quarter. Starts with a false start. Bears play pass all the way, 4th down punt fake. 3 scores down with 8 min left. Game all but finished.

The D crapped the bed in this game. 24 points allowed in a half, combined with the numerous offensive penalties, put the team in a very bad position. The team is built to ride the D and to be run first, chasing the game 2 TDs down eliminated Gurley, exactly what the Bears wanted. Thanks refs

Young QBs have down games. Luck sucked for many games, Wilson sucked against Arizona and in many other games this season.

Athos

Legend
His last 5 games have not been horrible. The heavy punishment he took in GB was horrible.

Stop making excuses man. I dunno why you're trying so hard for Foles defense. He literally has some of the worst stats across the board as a starting QB. Minus an ARZ game, he'd averaging less than a TD a game.

4 games completing less than 60% of his passes. Hasn't been able to convert a 3rd down if it meant shagging every super model on the planet...even the married ones.

He's overthrowing. He's underthrowing. He's putting WRs AT RISK by throwing HIGH, opening them up to vicious hits like Britt earlier in the season. He does not throw guys open. At all.

He's flat bad. And you're preaching to an empty choir if you expect me to believe he's been anything other than godawful outside of 2 games.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
His last 5 games have not been horrible.
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but bullshit, you're making excuse after excuse for the guy and pointing the blame at every single thing except him when everybody saw it, even our coach. The guy has been overthrowing people seemingly for no other reason because he doesn't want to hit people. It was so egregious the announcer in the Bears game was sitting around diagnosing every single thing Foles was doing wrong, he was late on every throw, and when he finally threw it he sailed it to every person he threw it towards, and when he wasn't doing that he wasn't scanning the field and locking into receivers and just generally playing the worst a QB has played for the Rams in a long, long time. Anything else is denial. Our guys were open, their D was nowhere in Foles face, they're one of the worst Ds in the damn league and were practically begging to be thrown on and Foles couldn't hack it. You try to blame everybody else for their mistakes, but then Foles is absolved for his? He's been missing wide open receivers for 5 games now, when does it stop being poor Foles and start being he needs to play better?

If it was just a couple of Joes saying it I'd see where you're coming from, but people who have forgotten more football than any of us combined have ever learned are pointing it out. It's no longer piling on at this point, it's just a guy who's playing horrible and got benched for it.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Keenum makes the stretch PA plays much more dangerous with his legs. He has enough arm, just needs to be smart with the ball. I'm excited to see what he can do with Gurley, Tavon, Quick and even Welker. Marquez has looks like he's got some hands on him too.

Keenum reminds me of Brees when he's on and Ponder when he's not. 200 yards a game is the benchmark at the moment so he doesn't have to play over his head, just make the plays that are there to be made. Get this team to 5-5 and who knows.

maximus

Rookie
Stop making excuses man. I dunno why you're trying so hard for Foles defense. He literally has some of the worst stats across the board as a starting QB. Minus an ARZ game, he'd averaging less than a TD a game.

4 games completing less than 60% of his passes. Hasn't been able to convert a 3rd down if it meant shagging every super model on the planet...even the married ones.

He's overthrowing. He's underthrowing. He's putting WRs AT RISK by throwing HIGH, opening them up to vicious hits like Britt earlier in the season. He does not throw guys open. At all.

He's flat bad. And you're preaching to an empty choir if you expect me to believe he's been anything other than godawful outside of 2 games.

He did beat 2 of the top 3 defenses, which coincidentally are also in the same division as the Rams. He beat them by making great throws. That made a believer. Plenty of haters which say he did nothing, you can lead that charge. I still believe.

4 games under 60%. One of the most pressured and hit QBs, but one of the least sacked. What gives? Maybe he has thrown away the ball many times, which makes the OL look good in pass pro, but hurts his stats? Outside of the GB game, only 2 picks in 8 games. Maybe he was taught to protect the ball at all costs, which led to him throwing it high or low to avoid picks, which again hurt his stats? Maybe Fisher wants to avoid turnovers which put the D in bad spots, which made Foles throwing it that way?

Take out the Arizona game, great. Erase his best game against a top 3 defense. Cool. Averages less then 1TD. Maybe because the Rams run the ball very well inside the 10 yard line? When the team gets there, it's mostly runs? Against both Browns and SF, the ball is at the 2 yard line after long completions by Foles, Gurley gets 2 easy TDs.

He puts the WRs at risk? The drops by Britt and Kendricks in this last game he put the ball low, that is exactly what Brady does to protect his WRs from hits. He overthrew Quick on throws, but in almost each of those overthrows the CB was right there next to Quick, I think he was trying to throw jump balls to him, which Quick showed in the past to be good at, to avoid the CB making the play or worse, pick the ball.

Really, god awful outside of 2 games? 2 great games against Seattle and Arizona, main rivals both with great defenses.
Then 2 good games against SF and Browns, helped the team get the win.

Pitt, throws a deep bomb right between Kendricks numbers, no other QB could have place it better. Kendricks makes that catch, Rams win.

Vikings, if Legatron did not miss a makeable FG, Rams win. If Tavon does not drop a well thrown deep ball from Foles, Rams win. That against a very good defense, which limited the franchise QB Derek Carr to 14 points just this weekend.

Bottom line, he was certainly not as horrible as his detractors are making it out to be. Nothing easier that to scapegoat him, to blame him for the ills of the team. After a game where the D crapped the bed, where the refs killed the offense numerous drives, where Gurley was a non-factor, he gets all the blame. Cutler did not overthrew or underthrew WRs being 3-12 on 3rd downs. Luck or Wilson did not suck for many games, by coincidence both their teams having the same record as the Rams.

Athos

Legend
Whatever dude. It's not a vacuum of a ne game and clearly the head honcho on the sideline agrees especially if he's been contemplating a change for 5 weeks now.

Our 3rd down rate is a POS and Foles is a leading reason why. Not the only one. But a leading reason.

We have a top RB. And Foles can't hit the broadside of a barn.

So Get out of here about his mystical accuracy that you think is far better than it really is.

Like CoachO has said. Even his completions are illusions of accuracy.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
He did beat 2 of the top 3 defenses, which coincidentally are also in the same division as the Rams. He beat them by making great throws. That made a believer. Plenty of haters which say he did nothing, you can lead that charge. I still believe.

4 games under 60%. One of the most pressured and hit QBs, but one of the least sacked. What gives? Maybe he has thrown away the ball many times, which makes the OL look good in pass pro, but hurts his stats? Outside of the GB game, only 2 picks in 8 games. Maybe he was taught to protect the ball at all costs, which led to him throwing it high or low to avoid picks, which again hurt his stats? Maybe Fisher wants to avoid turnovers which put the D in bad spots, which made Foles throwing it that way?

Take out the Arizona game, great. Erase his best game against a top 3 defense. Cool. Averages less then 1TD. Maybe because the Rams run the ball very well inside the 10 yard line? When the team gets there, it's mostly runs? Against both Browns and SF, the ball is at the 2 yard line after long completions by Foles, Gurley gets 2 easy TDs.

He puts the WRs at risk? The drops by Britt and Kendricks in this last game he put the ball low, that is exactly what Brady does to protect his WRs from hits. He overthrew Quick on throws, but in almost each of those overthrows the CB was right there next to Quick, I think he was trying to throw jump balls to him, which Quick showed in the past to be good at, to avoid the CB making the play or worse, pick the ball.

Really, god awful outside of 2 games? 2 great games against Seattle and Arizona, main rivals both with great defenses.

Pitt, throws a deep bomb right between Kendricks numbers, no other QB could have place it better. Kendricks makes that catch, Rams win.

Vikings, if Legatron did not miss a makeable FG, Rams win. If Tavon does not drop a well thrown deep ball from Foles, Rams win. That against a very good defense, which limited the franchise QB Derek Carr to 14 points just this weekend.

Bottom line, he was certainly not as horrible as his detractors are making it out to be. Nothing easier that to scapegoat him, to blame him for the ills of the team. After a game where the D crapped the bed, where the refs killed the offense numerous drives, where Gurley was a non-factor, he gets all the blame. Cutler did not overthrew or underthrew WRs being 3-12 on 3rd downs. Luck or Wilson did not suck for many games, by coincidence both their teams having the same record as the Rams.

Defend him after you see Keenum start. Then we'll have something to gauge them both on. If Keenum plays better, awesome! We have a QB that can extend drives and get third down completions.

If Keenum plays bad, then Foles is obviously better an we're all fucked as fans.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You really are stretching

maximus

Rookie
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but bullcrap, you're making excuse after excuse for the guy and pointing the blame at every single thing except him when everybody saw it, even our coach. The guy has been overthrowing people seemingly for no other reason because he doesn't want to hit people. It was so egregious the announcer in the Bears game was sitting around diagnosing every single thing Foles was doing wrong, he was late on every throw, and when he finally threw it he sailed it to every person he threw it towards, and when he wasn't doing that he wasn't scanning the field and locking into receivers and just generally playing the worst a QB has played for the Rams in a long, long time. Anything else is denial. Our guys were open, their D was nowhere in Foles face, they're one of the worst Ds in the damn league and were practically begging to be thrown on and Foles couldn't hack it. You try to blame everybody else for their mistakes, but then Foles is absolved for his? He's been missing wide open receivers for 5 games now, when does it stop being poor Foles and start being he needs to play better?

If it was just a couple of Joes saying it I'd see where you're coming from, but people who have forgotten more football than any of us combined have ever learned are pointing it out. It's no longer piling on at this point, it's just a guy who's playing horrible and got benched for it.

I'm not absolving him of any mistake, he did not play well, I said it already. His mistakes have been well documented. Every single one of them. He got no pass from anyone.The D crapped the bed, holding call after holding call put the offense in very bad positions, Gurley non-factor outside of the TD run, only 12 touches, 3 drops on 3rd down, Welker cut his route short 1 yard inside the redzone on his first catch. Tavon drops another 3rd down in the redzone. The announcers were piling in on Foles, but when his receivers dropped the ball, they did not even mention it was a drop.

You can bash him with facts, but not with lies. The Bears are NOT one the worst defenses, that is an outright lie, they are a top10 defense, led by 2 great defensive minds, John Fox and Vic Fangio, both with great defensive resumes. You really seem to have no idea what you are talking about.

On his worst missed throw of the night, Foles did had pressure right in his face. And that is a fact. I did not say he had it during every throw.

He needs to play better, no doubt, but he was yanked before he had a chance to establish a connection with Welker, which would had surely improved the 3rd down woes, and the offense in general. He had trouble connecting with Quick and Welker, Quick has only played a few games after missing all training camp, Welker just arrived. He did hit Welker right in stride in the second half, after having problems connecting with Welker in the first half. He did hit Quick over the middle with a strike right in stride, which Quick took it for a long gain. Build on those, improve the connection with Quick and Welker, and the offense would have looked much better.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think he has the one intangible that will make him succeed. INTELLIGENCE
Exactly.....which is why I kinda would like to see him....b4 Keenum....If he could just manage a game....I think he could succeed....this year...

@maximus

1126.gif
hqdefault.jpg
2811620-1613779424-GIF-A.gif

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He did beat 2 of the top 3 defenses, which coincidentally are also in the same division as the Rams. He beat them by making great throws. That made a believer. Plenty of haters which say he did nothing, you can lead that charge. I still believe. .
He has been awful since.
I was a huge supporter of the move and have defended him. But hanging on to two games just isnt the wy to go.
Theres 10 other guys out there busting their azzes on each play and its unfair to ask that of them when another guy isnt pulling his weight.
Foles is holding the team back, plain and simple

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Exactly.....which is why I kinda would like to see him....b4 Keenum....If he could just manage a game....I think he could succeed....this year...

He's not ready. In the press conference last night, Fisher said that Mannion hasn't been getting any reps.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He's not ready. In the press conference last night, Fisher said that Mannion hasn't been getting any reps.
Sounds like the reverse kiss of death...he's probably been lighting it up...:mrburnsevil::boxing::lifting:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Keenum plays bad, then Foles is obviously better an we're all freaked as fans.

If Keenum plays bad Cigs will be putting his house up for sale.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'm not absolving him of any mistake, he did not play well, I said it already. His mistakes have been well documented. Every single one of them. He got no pass from anyone.The D crapped the bed, holding call after holding call put the offense in very bad positions, Gurley non-factor outside of the TD run, only 12 touches, 3 drops on 3rd down, Welker cut his route short 1 yard inside the redzone on his first catch. Tavon drops another 3rd down in the redzone. The announcers were piling in on Foles, but when his receivers dropped the ball, they did not even mention it was a drop.

You can bash him with facts, but not with lies. The Bears are NOT one the worst defenses, that is an outright lie, they are a top10 defense, led by 2 great defensive minds, John Fox and Vic Fangio, both with great defensive resumes. You really seem to have no idea what you are talking about.

On his worst missed throw of the night, Foles did had pressure right in his face. And that is a fact. I did not say he had it during every throw.

He needs to play better, no doubt, but he was yanked before he had a chance to establish a connection with Welker, which would had surely improved the 3rd down woes, and the offense in general. He had trouble connecting with Quick and Welker, Quick has only played a few games after missing all training camp, Welker just arrived. He did hit Welker right in stride in the second half, after having problems connecting with Welker in the first half. He did hit Quick over the middle with a strike right in stride, which Quick took it for a long gain. Build on those, improve the connection with Quick and Welker, and the offense would have looked much better.

You say I can't bash him with lies, but you can defend him with fallacies? The Bears are the 24th ranked D in the league. Here are some more facts of that stout D brought to you by Bernie, "Chicago has been rifled for a 101.1 passer rating this season, sixth-worst among the 32 teams. The Bears have been air-raided for 17 touchdown passes, and have countered with only four interceptions. And this final stat may prove soothing for Foles: the Bears have only 14 sacks this season. That’s 25th. Foles should have time to throw, and the Bears are awfully loose in their pass coverage. This seems like a good opportunity for a Foles’ warm-up." "The Bears rank 31st among the 32 teams in adjusted run defense, which accounts for strength of schedule. Using the standard stats, the Bears are 24th in rushing yards per game (121.6) and 27th in average yield per carry (4.63). But here’s the interesting thing about Chicago’s run defense: the Bears actually do a good job of denying big-play runs of 20+ yards. But no NFL rushing defense has been worse than the Bears in preventing successful running plays — which by definition are rushes that gain at least 4 yards." "But opponents have gone for at least 4 yards on 52 percent of their runs vs. Chicago. And only seven NFL teams have been rolled more often than the Bears on runs that net at least 10 yards. The Bears are among the worst defenses in the NFL against first-down runs, allowing nearly 4.8 yards per carry. And the defense doesn’t come up with many negative plays that knock opponents back; the Bears have stuffed only 10 running plays this season — the fewest in the NFL." In what way are they a top ten D? Because they stopped Foles? This was one of the softest Ds we've faced to date and Foles didn't step to the plate.

Foles is still exhibiting hiccups he's had since he's come into the league, he still holds onto the ball too long, he still rushes throws and makes bad overthrows even when he's not being rushed, he still refuses to scan the D and has nothing to fall back on to make him look better like Lesean McCoy or Chip Kelly. If that makes you salivate that's fine, but thank god that Fisher and everyone else realized he was hurting more than he helped.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Given the same Oline (actually, even worse) and the same WRs and TEs and - most importantly - the same OC and HC calling the plays, I hope this change isn't just puting lipstick on a pig.

Yes, Keenum should be more mobile... and, yes, he may have to be.

But the supporting cast (players and coaches) are still the same and, for that reason, I will have reset my expectations to "hope" only.

Some quotes I found interesting...
I'm not sure why Cigs is getting a pass. Not like our offense has been anywhere near adequate and that ain't all on the QB.
No, it's not... guessing equal parts Oline, WRs and TEs and coaching. So, the QB is somewhere around 1/4th of the issue. The other 3/4ths remain the same as last week (well, the Oline has probably deteriorated).
Foles is 1/3 of the problem, but that's 1/3 they can try to fix with one move. Fixing the line or getting the receivers to actually catch is a lot harder.
Actually, I think QB is less than 1/3rd.
Cigi is in his first season and I like about half of what he's done. The problem is he uses that half twice and everyone sees it coming,
Yup... and he'll still be taking his orders from Jeff Fisher on play calling Sunday.
I hope Case plays to win.
Do we think Foles was trying to lose? Supporting cast has a lot to do with "playing to win" (or, as I've seen this team this year "playing not to lose")
Needed to happen, but with this OL, sheesh....I almost feel bad for the lil feller. Run Case RUUUUNNNNN!!!!
I know. Saffold out, GR lost, Brown out, and Havenstein playing hurt. If CK overcomes this line, worse than anything Foles had, god bless that man and all of his offspring.
If we thought the Oline was bad last week, prepare for worse this week. Baltimore is 9th in the league in sacks with 24 (Rams have 29). Good news is they are dead last in limiting opponents 3rd down conversions... so, if Keenan is an upgrade, Baltimore stands to help him out of the gate on 3rd down.
OK so he's playing behind a patchwork OL so I hope he makes it through the game.
Fisher just won back a little of my respect, he's not letting his stubbornness get in the way of what's best for the team.
I can't give Fisher any credit. After watching how Foles struggled Sunday, it wouldn't be stubborness, it's be complete and total incompetency to keep starting him. He merely did what he had to do.
My fear is that we'll see the same thing that happened with Foles this season or even last year with Davis, where Keenum will have a couple good games to get us excited followed by harsh reality.
Well, this is what usually happens when you change horse in mid-stream. You can count on one hand the number of times changing QBs resulted in getting into the playoffs. But, once you start this ride running, it's hard to get off it.

That's why I quoted all this "hope"...
Hopefully he can do better. We can hope.
We'll see if he is an improvement this weekend.
Keenum might come in and stink it up.
time to see if Keenum can help us not lose.
can't be worse
Keenum literally cannot be worse
No matter how good or bad Keenum plays, this change HAD to be made. The general consensus is that Keenum can in no way do any worse than Foles.
Got my fingers crossed Keenum can hand the ball off and make a five yard throw.
I highly doubt Keenum will be much better, but it's worth a shot.
The only way Keenum could be worse than Foles is right now is if he literally dies on the field and Fisher puts some puppet strings on him and controls him from the sideline.
This one was funny!
[QUOTEKeenum has some talent, and tbh it has to be damn near impossible to be worse than Foles has been lately.[/QUOTE]
Hopefully Keenum can get some excitement going and who knows what can happen down the stretch?
At the very least this offense will be a little better, and no worse, with Keenum starting.
I actually think Keenum is a decent starter.... not great but might provide a little spark.
Bringing up Battle is just a sign of how bad off we are.
I hope Keenum seizes the opportunity, I really do. But geez... when your season is riding on Case Keenum...

I'm not trying to be all negative... but, to me, the more pressing problems remain unsolved (HC, OC, Oline, WRs and TEs). Fisher had no choice and, ultimately, threw Foles under the bus for what I believe is just as much his fault (bad coaching hires and too much control over a really bad offensive scheme).

Of course, Fisher isn't going to look in the mirror... but, I'm not going to get too up about switching one of the chess pieces when the strategy to win the game is most likely flawed.

Sorry, guys (and gals)...