Kaepernick and RG3: Is There Anything Left?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Simply put, when Kaepernick had success he had talent around him and a coach playing him to his strengths. When that talent depleted and the new coaching staff tried to make him into a traditional drop back passer, he regressed.

For many, he doesn't receive the benefit of even considering the talent around him / coaching, but we bend over backwards to point out such for Rams QBs. We are doing it now for Goff.

I think Kaep is a winner especially when you consider his actual starting experience. He is still a young QB in terms of actual starting experience so he has room to grow to get better with good quality coaching. He has a lot of tools you can work with and win with. Anyway you look at it 16 tds to 5 interceptions is good, and it's not just what he did last year but the circumstances he did it in and the big games that he did actually play in.

In no means I'm saying he is the greatest QB there is but I think it's definitely more about PR then his actual ability to help a team win. I'm not saying he should be a starter but I rather have Kaep over Mannion as my backup.

Yep. Even his top WR Kerley, was acquired near the final cuts last year.:shocked:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Florio's at it again. :deadhorse:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/24/chargers-interested-in-griffin-but-not-kaepernick/

Chargers interested in Griffin but not Kaepernick
Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2017

459474404-e1500948851939.jpg
Getty Images

When other quarterbacks get workouts or sign contracts with teams instead of Colin Kaepernick, there are semi-plausible ways to distinguish the situation based on football principles. When Robert Griffin III draws interest from the Chargers and Kaepernick doesn’t, it’s impossible to explain the interest in one and not the other.

Unless, of course, the Chargers are deliberately shying away from Kaepernick for the reasons that many assume teams are shying away from Kaepernick — because he used the platform provided by an NFL team to lead a movement.

Kaepernick has achieved far more from a football standpoint than Griffin, who simply hasn’t been able to adjust his game to the pro level, where he can’t ran away from trouble like he did in high school and at Baylor. At the NFL level, he gets hit and he gets hurt and he hasn’t done squat since before injuring his knee against the Ravens as a rookie.

No one would suggest he has mastered a pro style offense. He’s roughly the same kind of quarterback that Kaepernick has been, and the Chargers being interested in the lesser option who has roughly the same skill set makes the decision to shun Kaepernick for either political or clumsily-justified business reasons obvious.

Sure, the Chargers may be concerned about alienating the L.A. market at a time when two teams are vying for the same hearts, minds, and wallets. But there’s also a way to argue that signing Kaepernick would give the Chargers an edge by immediately attracting the many fans in Southern California who would embrace Kaepernick’s activism.

Regardless of whether the reasons reflect prudence or wrong-headedness, the Chargers taking a look at Griffin and not Kaepernick confirms the idea that Kaepernick’s unemployment isn’t about football — and it definitely isn’t about catering to the many fans who would deem his non-football efforts to be a reason for becoming a fan of the L.A. Chargers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
FROM ARTICLE: When Robert Griffin III draws interest from the Chargers and Kaepernick doesn’t, it’s impossible to explain the interest in one and not the other.

Except of course their agents have likely floated out what contract expectations are.

Except of course the teams know these players better than sports writers as players on the field and members of their locker rooms.

Look... I'd probably pick CK over RG3 too, but that is my vantage point with the information I have... which isn't much less than the sport writers... but a whole LOT less than the teams have.

That's a click bait title too.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I said it at the time both these cats were running wild. Even after one of the talking heads (I think it was Jaws) had anointed SackorPick as the greatest QB EVER.

"I've seen a bunch of young running NFL QBs... but I've never seen an old one."

Fran Tarkington,Roger Starbauch ,Randal Cunningham Steve Young, Vick ?

Last edited:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
From the rumours, Krappydick wants to be a starter on a starter's pay packet - I think RGIII would now be content with being a back-up... I'm sure that has something to do with it...

Memphis Ram

Legend
From the rumours, Krappydick wants to be a starter on a starter's pay packet - I think RGIII would now be content with being a back-up... I'm sure that has something to do with it...

But contrary to rumors, according to the man himself, no one has even talked to him or his agent about either.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But contrary to rumors, according to the man himself, no one has even talked to him or his agent about either.

but 100% fact, nobody on any team wants to talk about the national anthem.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fran Tarkington,Roger Starbauch ,Randal Cunningham Steve Young, Vick ?

John Elway, Steve McNair, Steve Grogan & Bobby Douglas.

Maybe Fran... but he was a scrambler more than a runner imho.

All of these guys did have the wheels to run... and some of them really took advantage of their wheels in the beginning of their pro careers. But... I think most of them dialed the running way back in order to extend their careers.

I wouldn't consider Vick, Cunningham, and really Young as old timers when they hung em up. Young maybe... but he was a much better Passer than Vick and Cunningham. Young did have to retire though because of too many concussions... that last one was a thing of beauty too.

Horse Tooth is about the only one who I might consider to be an Old Running QB... but his big ass didn't run near as much as he did in his younger days. Especially after the helicopter blast he took that time. John had a cannon for an arm... that kept him around for years... not his legs.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Why he opted out of HIS CONTRACT is beyond me ? The 49ers were loyal to him , the fan base didn't like him ever since the Super Bowl lose.

It was like NFL fans giving Pete Carroll crap. He trusted Russell Wilson, and had total control of the clock. Bella check was screwed because he did not call a time out, and the defense of back just made a great play.
With Kaepernick it was the playcalling that made the made a mistake. 49er fans wanted to blame Kaepernick.
Bottom line is Kaepernick should've played it out and stayed public throughout him being released by the 49ers and taking and taking the extra money he was due, unless Kyle Shanahan wanted him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Maybe Fran... but he was a scrambler more than a runner imho.

All of these guys did have the wheels to run... and some of them really took advantage of their wheels in the beginning of their pro careers. But... I think most of them dialed the running way back in order to extend their careers.

I wouldn't consider Vick, Cunningham, and really Young as old timers when they hung em up. Young maybe... but he was a much better Passer than Vick and Cunningham. Young did have to retire though because of too many concussions... that last one was a thing of beauty too.

Horse Tooth is about the only one who I might consider to be an Old Running QB... but his big ass didn't run near as much as he did in his younger days. Especially after the helicopter blast he took that time. John had a cannon for an arm... that kept him around for years... not his legs.

Donovan McNabb was a running QB. If you talking Kordell Stewart he played wide receiver is well. Kaepernick never had the best receivers either , But he did have a good offense of line.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Steve Young was a good running QB who played at a high level... difference was he developed his pocket passing to elite levels, whereas guys like Vick and Griffin and Kaepernick never did. Wilson comes the closest of the current crop of guys... but Seattle may actually cause him to die on the field with the O-lines they've trotted out there.

S'ok with me.

Yeah, it is amazing that only about 4-5 years ago these guys were supposed to be what the future of the NFL was going to look like.

We've been hearing that shit for almost 30 years and it's never going to come true. And with the rules favoring passing what are the odds of a running QB being as successful as a pocket passer.

The game hasn't changed in that direction, and QB's have to make their living on THEIR side of the LOS.

Neither of them are well liked and that is hurting their chances too.

I actually support Kaepernick's causes, but I also think he's a huge problem for your team if he's starting. You're falling for numbers over film. Blaine Gabbert had decent numbers in 2015. He was still a crappy QB. Kaep was a bad QB in 2016. He was a bad QB in 2015. He's been exposed.

I do too. He has started a lot of conversations. I came full circle on this and thought he was doing it for attention for himself. But he has put his money/time where his mouth is. I cannot and will not disrespect that.

I think Kaep is a winner especially when you consider his actual starting experience. He is still a young QB in terms of actual starting experience so he has room to grow to get better with good quality coaching. He has a lot of tools you can work with and win with. Anyway you look at it 16 tds to 5 interceptions is good, and it's not just what he did last year but the circumstances he did it in and the big games that he did actually play in.

He has a losing record, so he's not a winner and he's not really a starting quality QB. He could be a backup if a team that fits his style needed one. But nobody will touch him at this point if they haven't already at least inquired and evidently nobody has even called his agent.

Give me Tim Tebow any day over these 2 guys...

LOL.......Tebow couldn't play QB in the lingerie league his ship has sailed.........he might be the worst QB not named Manziel in the last 20 years!

He went about this protest all the wrong way. Nobody even remembers what he protested about.

I disagree it did precisely what he wanted it to do and to his credit he knew it would. He may not have thought it would cost him a career but he knew it was going to spur conversation and it did. And lots of people, most in fact, know why he was kneeling trhey just don't like it because they think it's disrespectful. And to a degree it is, but the issue is larger.

African Americans fought in every war for this country but in the CONSTITUTION we were listed as 3/5 humans.

I thought it was 2/5.

On Colin Kaepernick:

That my favotite movie line of all time. It's a great scene!

From the rumours, Krappydick wants to be a starter on a starter's pay packet

His agent said in an interview that isn't true and that he wanted a shot to compete and would accept a backup role if he didn't win the job. How much money he wants is still a mystery and we may never know what he is asking for. If it's over mid range backup cheddar he's staying unemployed.

And see below..........

Why he opted out of HIS CONTRACT is beyond me ? The 49ers were loyal to him , the fan base didn't like him ever since the Super Bowl lose.

I don't get it either,for two reasons.

First he'd have a job and would be copping a lot of dough. But the 49ers could also not renew based on the structure of the deal. If you Google it was a strange contract that was essentially a series of one year deals contingent on both parties agreeing to continue.

SF is probably the most tolerant area in the USA, the Bay Area in general too. If there was anyplace he would garner more support I'd like to know where that is because I've never heard of it.

He could have stayed put.

IMO a big mistake was not letting everyone know this was a one year protest until after the fact.

What about the other players that kneeled?

Memphis Ram

Legend

It was like NFL fans giving Pete Carroll crap. He trusted Russell Wilson, and had total control of the clock. Bella check was screwed because he did not call a time out, and the defense of back just made a great play.
With Kaepernick it was the playcalling that made the made a mistake. 49er fans wanted to blame Kaepernick.
Bottom line is Kaepernick should've played it out and stayed public throughout him being released by the 49ers and taking and taking the extra money he was due, unless Kyle Shanahan wanted him.

Probably to get an earlier start on free agency I guess as the 49ers were to cut him anyway. They even admitted as much earlier this offseason.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Just saw an interview with Sherman and he was asked why the crapper hasn't been signed.

He said "in a vacuum, looking at his football play there's no reason he shouldn't be signed". Haha, we don't live in a vacuum dicky. No team wants to deal with the media circus for what is now marginal talent. It is what it is. Bitching about it achieves nothing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Probably to get an earlier start on free agency I guess as the 49ers were to cut him anyway. They even admitted as much earlier this offseason.

Well he got the wrong advice.He left money on the table .

It will be interesting how it plays out.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well he got the wrong advice.He left money on the table .

It will be interesting how it plays out.

If they were set to cut him anyway, how did he leave money on the table? From what I understand was the only guarantees he had left would be due to injury which obviously the 49ers weren't about to let happen.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If they were set to cut him anyway, how did he leave money on the table? From what I understand was the only guarantees he had left would be due to injury which obviously the 49ers weren't about to let happen.
I think he had guaranteed money left if he got cut ? He might have missed FA part of it ?

I don't know how to paste things. On March 1 2017 he OPTED out of 2017 $16.9 millIion contract. His 2018-2020 contract was not guaranteed. He restructured his contract October 22,2016.
He cleared $14 million in cap(Kap) space by opting out of the 9ers contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.