Kaepernick and RG3: Is There Anything Left?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think he had guaranteed money left if he got cut ? He might have missed FA part of it ?

I don't know how to paste things. On March 1 2017 he OPTED out of 2017 $16.9 millIion contract. His 2018-2020 contract was not guaranteed. He restructured his contract October 22,2016.
He cleared $14 million in cap(Kap) space by opting out of the 9ers contract.

Found the article. Injury guarantee. Not guaranteed if released.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18796373/colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-opts-contract

As part of the deal's reconfiguration, Kaepernick traded $14.5 million in injury guarantees during the 2017 season for the opportunity to opt out of the deal early. His decision saves the Niners his $14.5 million base salary in 2017 though he will still count nearly $2.5 million in dead money for the remainder of his signing bonus proration.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I don't know how to paste things.

Hold down left click on mouse and drag across the part you want to paste.
Right click and then select "copy"
Left click and select "paste."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-may-have-helped-chargers-land-cardale-jones/

RGIII workout may have helped Chargers land Cardale Jones
Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2017

630202228-e1501167761430.jpg
Getty Images

When word emerged of the Chargers working out quarterback Robert Griffin III, the motivation for it wasn’t clear. When someone with the Chargers leaked to ESPN that Griffin looked good, the motivation for it wasn’t clear. When the Chargers didn’t sign Griffin after such a supposedly good workout, the motivation for it wasn’t clear.

On Wednesday, it all became clear when the Chargers traded for quarterback Cardale Jones.

Griffin was the leverage for the Chargers in their talks with the Bills. Bringing Griffin in for a workout and leaking a positive review to ESPN made it clear to Buffalo that the Chargers had an alternative, in the event that Buffalo tried to put a thumb on the scale and get more from a guy who probably was on the way out if there hadn’t been a trade.

So why would Griffin allow himself to be used in this way? He likely didn’t know that the Chargers were trying to get Jones from the Bills. Even if Griffin had known what was happening, the workout knocked the dust off his name for the first time in months, reminding all other teams that he still exists.

Thus, it was a win-win-win. The Chargers got a quarterback they want, the Bills got rid of one they didn’t want, and Griffin got his name in circulation.

And maybe the Bills will be interested in giving Griffin his next workout. Right before they trade for someone else.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Cardale Jones has a job and Colin Keapernick doesn't. We don't need to be detectives to figure this out.

I wonder if he would have done what he did if he could see into the future and know that it would cost him his career. I hope a journalist asks him I'm curious to hear his response.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Cardale Jones has a job and Colin Keapernick doesn't.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/27/john-harbaugh-ravens-will-add-a-qb-maybe-kaepernick/

John Harbaugh: Ravens will add a QB, maybe Kaepernick
Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2017

160613610-e1501171801975.jpg
Getty Images

Of all the teams that could be a match for quarterback Colin Kaepernick, the Ravens make the most sense. The brother of their head coach, John Harbaugh, coached Kaepernick in San Francisco, and still raves about him. Their Senior Offensive Assistant (and possible offensive coordinator in waiting), Greg Roman, served as offensive coordinator in San Francisco when Kaepernick played as well as ever.

And the Ravens could indeed sign him.

Via multiple Twitter accounts of reporters at practice, Harbaugh said the Ravens plan to add a quarterback, and he didn’t rule out Kaepernick.

Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun notes that Harbaugh said it all “depends on what Kaepernick wants to do.” Harbaugh also said that the Ravens have been talking to Kaepernick throughout the summer.

This suggests that the outcome hinges on whether Kaepernick would take whatever money the Ravens have budgeted for the position. If he does, he’ll have a job. And a chance to supplant Ryan Mallet as the No. 2 guy on the roster. And an opportunity to be in position to play if Joe Flacco’s back injury is something more than a minor inconvenience.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Baltimore perfect place for Kaepernick and better insurance for Flacco although the former Fighting Blue Hen has showcased durability, but this makes too much sense....Quoth the Raven “Nevermore."

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kaepernick is one of my least favorite players, because he pulled some crap as a 49er.
I didnt appreciate his kneel down.
But I'll say this, and I know I'm in the minority, but I find myself pulling for this guy now. Its crap that he doesnt have a gig when he's as good as at least a 1/3rd of the starters in the league
He has incredible ability and we saw in the SB that when in the right system, he is lethal
He didnt comm

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This suggests that the outcome hinges on whether Kaepernick would take whatever money the Ravens have budgeted for the position. If he does, he’ll have a job. And a chance to supplant Ryan Mallet as the No. 2 guy on the roster. And an opportunity to be in position to play if Joe Flacco’s back injury is something more than a minor inconvenience.
From what I hear, Flacco will be out up to 6 weeks, that doesn't sound minor to me!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-protests-no-1-reason-viewers-tuned-nfl-games

Anthem protests led poll of reasons viewers tuned out
Darren Rovell/ESPN Senior Writer

i

Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images

National anthem protests were the top reason that NFL fans watched fewer games last season, according to a new survey released by J.D. Power.

The pollster said it asked more than 9,200 people who attended either one football, basketball or hockey game whether they tuned into fewer games and why. Twenty-six percent of those who watched fewer games last season said that national anthem protests, some of which were led by Colin Kaepernick, were the reason.

After that, 24 percent of those surveyed who said they watched fewer games said they did so either because of the league's off-the-field image issues with domestic violence or with game delays, including penalties.

One in five (20 percent) listed excessive commercials and advertising as a reason, something the NFL is seeking to address by moving around traditional ad blocks.

Sixteen percent said it was because of their interest being replaced by the 2016 presidential election coverage.

Five percent said they watched fewer games because they got rid of cable.

J.D. Power noted that only 12 percent of the fans it surveyed said they watched fewer NFL games last season, with 27 percent of people saying they watched more and 62 percent saying they watched just as much as they had the season before.

The NFL did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

NFL game viewership on networks that broadcast games was down an average of 8 percent for the 2016 regular season versus the season before. Before the election (Nov. 8), games for the first nine weeks were down 14 percent compared to 2015. The final eight weeks saw only a drop of 1 percent compared to Weeks 10-17 in 2015.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
John Harbaugh: Ravens will add a QB, maybe Kaepernick

Is he a fit for that type of O?

Baltimore perfect place for Kaepernick and better insurance for Flacco although the former Fighting Blue Hen has showcased durability, but this makes too much sense....Quoth the Raven “Nevermore."

If you would can you give me more because that's not what I thought when I read this but you for sure know more about football than I do.

One in five (20 percent) listed excessive commercials and advertising as a reason, something the NFL is seeking to address by moving around traditional ad blocks.

The NFL is an ad delivery system. One of the posters hear said that last year, I'm repeating it because it's totally true.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If you would can you give me more because that's not what I thought when I read this but you for sure know more about football than I do.

IMO, better backup than Mallet and with a Harbaugh as Head Coach and Greg Roman also on the staff, it just seems like everything fits and add in Owner Steve Bisciotti who would be strong enough to handle any backlash.....I'm a connect the dots type of guy and this signing would connect many dots and IMO this offense would not ask too much of Kaepernick and would give him an opportunity if called upon to possibly recapture some of that magic under Harbaugh I.

BTW Les thanks for the kudos, but everyone knows that Les is always More!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/27/...k-free-agent-adam-schefter-blackballed-owners

Adam Schefter believes NFL owners have ‘blocked teams’ from signing Colin Kaepernick
ESPN’s Adam Schefter thinks Colin Kaepernick is being blackballed.
by Adam Stite

Colin Kaepernick is likely being blackballed, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. There have been plenty of other reasons and excuses provided by NFL teams to explain why the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback is still a free agent, but Kaepernick’s protests from the 2016 season loom large.

In a Thursday morning appearance on ESPN Radio’s Mike and Mike, Adam Schefter said he believes that NFL owners have tried to keep coaches and front-office personnel from going after Kaepernick.

“Do I think that certain owners have blocked teams from visits or interest? I do, I do believe that,” Schefter said. “And I think that there has been more interest in him from the coaching and front office level than there has been at the ownership level. So it was always going to take a unique opportunity for him to be brought in, in the right place, at the right spot, at the right time.”

Many others believe NFL owners have halted general managers from signing Kaepernick, but Schefter is one of the most connected reporters in the league and one of the few to actually say that owners are likely the reason Kaepernick is still a free agent.

Schefter cited the Baltimore Ravens as a potential landing spot for Kaepernick after Joe Flacco suffered a back injury that could keep him out for as many as six weeks. With Flacco sidelined, the only other quarterbacks on the roster are Ryan Mallett and Dustin Vaughan. Couple the team’s need of another passer in training camp with a potential reunion with former 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman, and the pairing makes a lot of sense.

But ownership has been the biggest hurdle for Kaepernick to overcome and eyes will be on Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti. In May, New York Giants owner John Mara hinted that the fear of backlash is one of the reasons why teams have shied away from Kaepernick.

“All my years being in the league, I never received more emotional mail from people than I did about that issue,” Mara said, via The MMQB. “If any of your players ever do that, we are never coming to another Giants game. It wasn’t one or two letters. It was a lot ...

“It’s an emotional, emotional issue for a lot of people, more so than any other issue I’ve run into.”

Kansas City Chiefs owner Clark Hunt went a different route when asked about Kaepernick on Wednesday.

“Generally, I’m not going to tell our head coach or our GM not to bring in a player if they think that player can bring us some success on the field and make us better,” Hunt told NBC Sports Radio. “Now there are certain circumstances where guys get in trouble off the field and that is something as an organization and as a family we care about. We’re not going to bring those types of players in. In terms of a player like Colin, I would have no hesitation bringing him into the organization.”

But with Alex Smith ready to start in 2017 and the Chiefs grooming first-round rookie Patrick Mahomes II to be the eventual starter, there isn’t much of a need at quarterback. The Ravens can’t say the same.

In March, Ravens coach John Harbaugh was asked about Kaepernick and told Pro Football Weekly that he doesn’t believe the quarterback would be a distraction.

“It wouldn’t be a problem for us in our organization,” Harbaugh said. “We’ve been very clear over the years. Guys speak their minds in Baltimore.

“I think the players understand and everybody respects everybody else’s opinion on politics. It’s not going to impact how somebody plays. I’m not going to play better or worse because this person believes this or that.”

The question now is whether ownership in Baltimore would endorse the signing of Kaepernick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I believe the nasty stink is still in the air. So yes there is some stink left.

I love the escape that the NFL has provided me since becoming an adult in the very early 70's. The 1999 Rams team winter night time SB win in Atlanta was glorious!

I have had so very little time in my profession, thus I stuck to basically one sport ...football. When I had the time or had to make room for it I sure did not want to have the normal outside distractions (politics) entering into my NFL world. The Sports Media seemed to love showing the Kaepernick shot every chance it could get into my private domain of this very lucky human being.

I just did not want to see or hear about him or his views. I want football. I could careless about Kaepernick or if I ever see him again. Please can we just see some good pure old fashioned NFL football in 2017?

nighttrain

Legend

Bonifay said,
" I just did not want to see or hear about him or his views. I want football. I could careless about Kaepernick or if I ever see him again. Please can we just see some good pure old fashioned NFL football in 2017?"

excellent thot Sir

train

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/30/ravens-discuss-signing-robert-griffin-iii/

Ravens discuss signing Robert Griffin III
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 30, 2017

612040830-e1479313596678.jpg
Getty Images

Looking for depth behind the injured Joe Flacco, the Ravens are considering quarterback Robert Griffin III.

That’s the word from Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, who said at a forum for fans today that his team is discussing Griffin, the free agent quarterback who has been out of work since the Browns released him in March.

Once the NFL’s brightest young star in Washington, Griffin has barely been able to get a sniff this offseason. The Chargers brought him in for a tryout but decided against signing him, and otherwise he’s drawn no interest.

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is currently sitting out training camp with a back injury suffered lifting weights, and backup quarterback Ryan Mallett reportedly hasn’t looked good while running the first-string offense.

Whether Griffin would look any better than Mallett remains to be seen, but the Ravens are at least discussing the possibility that RGIII could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.