Just reminding everyone that Goff is better than Wentz in nearly every statistical category

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Yeah, that spiral maintains ballistic stability which translates into greater wind resistance (the spinning creates a laminar airflow over the surface of the ball which reduces the overall air friction) and that allows for a longer period of time to elapse prior to trajectory degradation.

Think of a spinning top. The longer it's balanced, the longer it stays up.

Now...here's the thing. In some conditions, perfect spirals can be less than optimal. In inclement weather, the very thing that makes the ball slip through the air can make it slip through a receiver's grasp, especially in wet or muddy weather.

So, if the QB still understands his trajectory with a less than stable ball, he can achieve certain trajectories that a perfect spiral can't. The perfect example is the ball that drops into the receiver's basket. Warner was an expert at this.

Nolan Ryan became an all-time great not because he could throw it 108mph, but because he learned to mix his pitches up as he grew older.

Some of Warner's best TD passes were kinda ducks...

I think, and forgive me here, you're confusing arm strength with ability to throw far. Ability to throw far is affected by all those things like ballistic stability, wind, mechanics, etc. Arm strength, as in the strength of the arm, will technically be affected by throwing mechanics as far as a measurement goes. But strictly speaking, arm strength isn't affected by anything but the arm... and it's strength. The distance the ball travels is affected by arm strength and all those other physics things you mentioned.

But the distance the ball travels isn't arm strength. And it isn't a good way to measure arm strength because of all those other factors.

Now to be fair, actual arm strength is less relevant than the distance the ball can travel in evaluating a quarterback. So your point still stands but no, distance traveled by the ball isn't arm strength especially because it's affected by all those other things.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Yeah, that spiral maintains ballistic stability which translates into greater wind resistance (the spinning creates a laminar airflow over the surface of the ball which reduces the overall air friction) and that allows for a longer period of time to elapse prior to trajectory degradation.

Think of a spinning top. The longer it's balanced, the longer it stays up.

Now...here's the thing. In some conditions, perfect spirals can be less than optimal. In inclement weather, the very thing that makes the ball slip through the air can make it slip through a receiver's grasp, especially in wet or muddy weather.

So, if the QB still understands his trajectory with a less than stable ball, he can achieve certain trajectories that a perfect spiral can't. The perfect example is the ball that drops into the receiver's basket. Warner was an expert at this.

Nolan Ryan became an all-time great not because he could throw it 108mph, but because he learned to mix his pitches up as he grew older.

Some of Warner's best TD passes were kinda ducks...

200.gif

cs.gif

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
The Wentz worship amongst SOME our fellow brethren is borderline intolerable ( personally speaking of course)

You better believe I'm going to remind you ladies of this "further down the road"

:boxing::ROFLMAO:

TexasRam

Legend
8, in the end zone? Could you please list those 8 plays?

Yes.

And this doesn’t count a lot of drops that killed drives by Sammy, Kupp and Higbee.

“In the end zone” or going into the end zone technically.

The count was at 6 before the Minnesota game, then you had Kupp fumble going into the end zone vs Minnesota and Sammy dropping the fade vs the saints.

The 6 before Minnesota:

1 Fade to Everett vs Cowboys early in the game

2 Middle of end zone to Everett vs Cowboys, was a little low but catchable.

3 Woods drop vs Washington to take the lead in 4th quarter

4 Woods vs Cowboys called out of bounds when he was in bounds

5 Higbee on his way to the end zone vs the Niners. Safety ripped his arm

6 Kupp vs Seattle for the win.

There may be more but those are the ones i documented.

Now look at his 5 interceptions:

1 Sammy fluke one hander vs Saints

2 Screen to Gurley off his hand vs Seattle

3 Goff hit while throwing vs Seattle

4 Gurley interference not called vs Arizona

5 Vs Washington - Goff stared down receiver -That’s on Goff.

Last edited:

JK1965

UDFA
Name
John
I’m from Philly area and have been an Eagles fan for close to 50 years.
I signed up because there are actually intelligent conversations going on here. Most of these forums this isn’t the case.
I’m glad that the Rams are in Los Angeles where they belong. St Louis never seemed right to me.
Like you guys with Goff, I’ve seen every game Wentz has played. He had the benefit of a full rookie season with a good coaching staff. Goff clearly did not have this.
This said, make no mistake Wentz is the real deal. His grasp of the offense, ability to dissect a defense, athletic ability are ridiculous. He has that IT factor that you can’t teach. He has elevated everyone on that team and that’s a rare feat. His work ethic is off the hook. He’s at the complex every morning by 5:30 working. The guy gets better and better because he studies this stuff relentlessly. From grade school through college he was a straight A student and never got a B even once in his life.
Just some insight on the guy.
As to Goff I’m impressed. I am glad they got rid of Fisher. I’ve seen Goff play about as much as you get to see Wentz but I think that they are both going to be top QB’s for the next decade plus. Next week may be first of many great games between them.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Yes.

And this doesn’t count a lot of drops that killed drives by Sammy, Kupp and Higbee.

In the end zone or going into the end zone. The count was at 6 before the Minnesota game, then you had Kupp fumble going into the end zone vs Minnesota and Sammy dropping the fade vs the saints.

The 6 before Minnesota:

Sammy fluke one hander vs Saints
Screen to Gurley off his hand vs Seattle
Goff hit while throwing vs Seattle
Gurley interference not called vs Arizona
Vs Washington - Goff stared down receiver -That’s on Goff.
Lol, I gotta hand it to you

Seriously that was brilliant (y)

Oh, and spot on

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Too bad we didn't play the Redskins when they were playing like this. Scheduling is everything I guess.

TexasRam

Legend
Lol, I gotta hand it to you

Seriously that was brilliant (y)

Oh, and spot on

Thanks bro. The stats don’t really tell the full story that’s why i point it out. There’s also the blow out games where we stopped trying to score on teams for entire quarters, or at the end of games.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Yes.

In the end zone or going into the end zone. The count was at 6 before the Minnesota game, then you had Kupp fumble going into the end zone vs Minnesota and Sammy dropping the fade vs the saints.

The 6 before Minnesota:

Sammy fluke one hander vs Saints
Screen to Gurley off his hand vs Seattle
Goff hit while throwing vs Seattle
Gurley interference not called vs Arizona
Vs Washington - Goff stared down receiver -That’s on Goff.
Thanks. The Woods out of bounds call isn't a "drop", Goff threw a TD pass on the next play though. The Woods drop against WAS wouldn't have counted anyways, Havenstien was flagged for holding. Goff has done an outstanding job of protecting the ball.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Too bad we didn't play the Redskins when they were playing like this. Scheduling is everything I guess.
Their Oline is so banged up, I heard Tirico say that they've had 22 different starting O-Line combinations. They signed Demetrius Rhaney off of the street.

TexasRam

Legend
Thanks. The Woods out of bounds call isn't a "drop", Goff threw a TD pass on the next play though. The Woods drop against WAS wouldn't have counted anyways, Havenstien was flagged for holding. Goff has done an outstanding job of protecting the ball.

Yea I think you get my point. The point is Jared is having no issues throwing TD’s, he could be easily leading the league if not not for some drops, fumbles, ref calls and some stupid penalties.

The stats don’t tell the whole story of how well he’s played.

JK1965

UDFA
Name
John
Yea I think you get my point. The point is Jared is having no issues throwing TD’s, he could be easily leading the league if not not for some drops, fumbles, ref calls and some stupid penalties.

The stats never tell the whole story. But you could go through any teams games and you’d have drops, fumbles, penalties etc. All part of the game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a tad biased in this discussion and I understand the numbers, but Wentz has the ability to make something out of nothing, whereas, Goff lives to fight on the next play. That at this point is where the difference lies IMHO and next week all of us will get the see the showdown.

There's more than one way to make something out of nothing. Wentz's way just happens to be the flashier one. ;)

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

I do, and I agree with it. I'm not trying to belittle your point, I was just being thorough. Everyone sees things differently, and has different definitions of what a "drop" is. I asked initially because foxsports counts 7 total for the Rams, I think it's higher than 7 but to see someone say 8 in the redzone alone is a big difference, it's up to the viewer in most cases. Yeah Goff is having a great season, he'll only get better as the seasons go by.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Wentz and get why people love him. I've seen him do some crazy stuff. Curious to see how this plays out. Goff is my dude.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Athletic ability is just one factor when evaluating quarterbacks though, right?

Forgetting that as a fan I personally value a quarterback's mental ability way above athletic ability, let's just say that Wentz is far and away the best and always will be, it's not even close. Lets just call him the second coming of Jesus.

Even given those parameters, the financial aspect of keeping a Demi god like Carson Wentz could yet prove to be a deterrent to their long term success.

Ignoring that and the altruistic nature of said Demi-god who ends up working for the good people of Philadelphia for free, lets just pretend that for the sake of argument, a certain time traveller parks his police call box in this very thread to state that all your Super Bowls are belong to Iggles, does that still prevent you from watching the games and enjoying our success?

I mean, we are Rams fans, just recently recovered from hoping that we could one day see a .500 season out of our team.

MauiRam

Rookie
Both Goff and Wentz are already very good quarterbacks. Let us not forget football is the ultimate team sport. The best overall team will likely win. Offense, defense, special teams, and last but certainly not least - COACHING!! Should be a good game vs Philly. Hope we take care of the Seasnots as well ..