Just re-watched the Bronco game…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If we are to consider an alleged 'failed plan', many may feel it as a result of our declining depth after starters at LT, LG & RG were dismissed. It may have started with Sullivan being initially replaced by Allen/Blythe and then Saffold for Noteboom at LG, and this year we opened with Noteboom instead of Whitworth at LT & Shelton in place of Corbett at RG. Numerous fans have also questioned whether Edwards might have been more suitable as a reserve OT rather than a starting LG. The Rams didn't draft an offensive lineman in 2021, but it appears we may have gotten incredibly lucky on UDFA Alaric Jackson, pending his future health status. Injured players are very much out of our control, so I won't go into this aspect of the game. After Saffold left us in 2019, the Rams have drafted Bobby Evans (3'rd), David Edwards (5'th), Anchrum (7'th), Bruss (3'rd), & Arcuri (7'th). Our 1 fairly significant OL trade was for Corbett in 2019, and there have been no starting free agents brought in since Whitworth, Sullivan & waiver claim Blythe back in 2017.
The furor from drafting Tutu Atwell over Creed Humphrey last year remains strong.
Scheme may also play into fan disappointment occasionally with our lack of emphasis on the running game & moving away from 12 Personnel when it seems warranted, but nonetheless, we still managed to carry off the Lombardi Trophy, ... so WTF.

jmo.
And yet we got beat 13-3 in the Superbowl with Saffold at LG and Sullivan at C and won with replacements Edwards at LG and Allen at C......Plus to get there it took 2 games of Noteboom at LT. Like I said, I think there's a wide difference in OL philosophy between fans and management. And right now, management has their strong results behind them, so I'd have to lean in favor of their direction. If anybody calls 2022 "bad planning" or "mismanagement" I'd ask them to tell us all what should have been done to prevent using 12 OL combinations in 15 games due to 7-9 OL injuries. The correct answer IS NOT being 2 deep at every OL position, as that is a physical impossibility.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay didn't know that? Or went ahead with letting Sullivan walk anyway? Or thought Goff was ready to wear the big boy pants by year 3 in his system and wanted to upgrade the C position physically? Then when he wasn't, he traded him to Detroit for Stafford? Well he moved us forward, that's for sure.
You make good points.I get it,but first off Brian Allen should have never been drafted with Sullivan fresh off a 2 year contract & Austin Blythe as a swing G/C.

WTF - really!!!! WTF were The Rams thinking of coming into 2019 season with AUTIN BLYTHE
at RG!! Then start 2 players with no NFL experience at LG & C.

ANYONE THAT WANTS TO SAY DIFFERENT can just ask Big Whit. He was upset. Losing that leadership as well. To have John Sullivan as a backup Center? Don’t understand not having a RG then. At least to make up for Roger Saffold loss. Then I won’t say Noteboom was a guard,but EVERYONE around here sure let it be known & WERE RIGHT!

2022 - another WTF - really WTF?
Going down that same road to replace AUTIN Corbett. Coleman Shelton?? Bruss ? Yeah - he sucked in preseason so that upsets me of the evaluation.

I guess that is why Matt Scuri seems like a stop-gap C/G because of his size as well.That might allow Bruss to develop? A’Jackson looks more like a RG than a LT,but has the skill level to play LT. Jackson at RT ?

I guess I’m over exaggerating a little to much about the future,but the past wtf-
The Rams should have already addressed this 1 or 2 seasons ago. Bruss coming in with no pressure

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bobby Evans
Yes - at what point does your coaching think he is The Rams starting RG out of OTA’s

It’s not Tutu Atwell as much as it is The Rams didn’t address the offensive line with 5 players not going to be under contract.Having Havienstien & Edwards as your only starters? Well Brian Allen,but he could have been cut bait, & Noteboom if they developed or signed a LT in 2021 or even 2022.

Brian Allen was the backup RG behind Bobby Evans. Austin Corbett was projected as The Rams starting center. Shelton know one knew how good he would be & becoming a Free Agent.

Corbett was going to be a Free Agent as well. Thank Goodness Careberry & Allen over achieved.

The future was never really addressed right though & the above showed how little Careberry really knew about The Rams O’Line.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And yet we got beat 13-3 in the Superbowl with Saffold at LG and Sullivan at C and won with replacements Edwards at LG and Allen at C......Plus to get there it took 2 games of Noteboom at LT. Like I said, I think there's a wide difference in OL philosophy between fans and management. And right now, management has their strong results behind them, so I'd have to lean in favor of their direction. If anybody calls 2022 "bad planning" or "mismanagement" I'd ask them to tell us all what should have been done to prevent using 12 OL combinations in 15 games due to 7-9 OL injuries. The correct answer IS NOT being 2 deep at every OL position, as that is a physical impossibility.

Well even if so & you’re totally correct then what to do in 2023 upfront. It’s beating a dead horse now. Not going to get us anywhere.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

My WTF wasn't aimed at you, it was about how much & how often we try to decipher what is going on, anything can still happen. I mostly agree with you, although I also believe that Sullivan wasn't his previous self as that Super Bowl season went on, I thought he was done and pretty happy that he wouldn't be returning. Of course, there were far more factors than just our OL for the 2018 S.B. failure, McVay has already admitted to that. I agree about the wide gulf of occurrences between fan & coaching philosophy, usually showing up when we are losing, although I don't participate in much game day second guessing myself, but when we appear to abandon the run, play our CB's 10 yards off consistently, use a guy like Evans repeatedly as a starter, or back off from 12 Personnel when our many excellent WR's are sidelined by injuries, then criticisms should be acceptable, even if not always correct. This season was lost due to an impossible injury count, the bulk of criticism is aimed at OL depth, and I happen to agree with this for the most part, we should have done better in replacing key players, whether thru the draft, trades or free agency, and this was a belief before being riddled with injuries.
Considering your statement on not being 2 deep at every OL position, we may actually be closer to such a thing than in awhile next year, taking into account all of the returning players and what may happen next off-season during the draft/free agency periods.
jmo.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well like Kupp with a rookie (best offensive lineman available) early is the way to go.

O’day should be cheep.The player I’d like to see The Rams keep of Ty,Skura,& O’day is ??

I’d say Ty Nys.because he is a stop gap plug in LT.The big question is if he can play RT well.
He could start over Noteboom &
move from LT to RT if Havienstien gets hurt.

To me it’s about building a foundation of players in case of injury as well.Building it this way,but through the draft.

Les Snead & Sean Mcvay not addressing G/C 2020 & 2021 is inexcusable. Let’s leave Tutu Atwell out of this.He is what he is & he is a young ascending Ram who has ALL The Veteran & coaching support he ever needs
to be successful.-Speed Kills!

The other player is Matt Skura he is big enough to be a solid guard,but if he gets a full it’s & training camp after already knowing the offense might be that C/G The Rams need ?

The way I see it is The Rams don’t value the CENTER SPOT as much as maybe they should have. Cutting John Sullivan in 2019 led to The Rams not making the playoffs.
Well Sullivan was the weak point in the SB...along with Blythe. The Pats exploited those guys. And he essentially retired after that.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Evans is only on par with himself, he doesn't belong in the NFL. Even Kolone played somewhat better and he's been bumped by Skura.
Skura hasn't been playing at his strongest position which is at Center, not OG.

I’m going to question Matt Skura right now. From rumors he had to come in not 100% & things were messed up. Now that things have settled down we can get a better look at him.

—Didn’t know much about him. He was on Rams 360 wearing a shoe with a Cause. He to me was a SCRUB. Now I’m trying to see if there is any silver lining?Staying objective.

The Green Bay game Ty N holds the edge ok. It’s when he is not finding players to block & a player on his side is making a tackle is ODD. Play calling or missed assignments ? I’ll go back the only really games recorded & have a better view point.
That Raider game Rob Havienstien got DESTROYED!! That non holding call bad.Could have called others as well.So it’s not just 1 game size.

At 7:05 3rd qrt got called for holding. Sort of weak 17-6 but got his arms away from his body.
then released early on a double team. So a little bigger of a sample size than I thought.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
My WTF wasn't aimed at you, it was about how much & how often we try to decipher what is going on, anything can still happen. I mostly agree with you, although I also believe that Sullivan wasn't his previous self as that Super Bowl season went on, I thought he was done and pretty happy that he wouldn't be returning. Of course, there were far more factors than just our OL for the 2018 S.B. failure, McVay has already admitted to that. I agree about the wide gulf of occurrences between fan & coaching philosophy, usually showing up when we are losing, although I don't participate in much game day second guessing myself, but when we appear to abandon the run, play our CB's 10 yards off consistently, use a guy like Evans repeatedly as a starter, or back off from 12 Personnel when our many excellent WR's are sidelined by injuries, then criticisms should be acceptable, even if not always correct. This season was lost due to an impossible injury count, the bulk of criticism is aimed at OL depth, and I happen to agree with this for the most part, we should have done better in replacing key players, whether thru the draft, trades or free agency, and this was a belief before being riddled with injuries.
Considering your statement on not being 2 deep at every OL position, we may actually be closer to such a thing than in awhile next year, taking into account all of the returning players and what may happen next off-season during the draft/free agency periods.
jmo.
It's all good.

I am hoping McVay realized that 12 is the way to go. When he came to the Rams that is what we were told we'd see (from the talking heads). A lot of 12 personnel and his very first pick was a TE. But it seems that went by the wayside.....until Sunday. We played 12P 49% of the time and it had an astounding affect. Denver helped, of course but that works. Everybody knows when they're run blocking, an OL gets energized. And with 2 TEs on the field, play action opens up all kinds of possibilities which we also saw. Our top 2 receivers were TE's.....12 receptions, 151 yards, 2 TDs. The WRs had 8 for 45. Imagine Stafford under center, the OL, Kupp, Robinson and 2 TEs blocking for Akers, Williams and a third RB, the play action will be unbelievable. I know I'm repeating myself but get that TE beast from Georgia in the 2nd round and let him loose!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's all good.

I am hoping McVay realized that 12 is the way to go. When he came to the Rams that is what we were told we'd see (from the talking heads). A lot of 12 personnel and his very first pick was a TE. But it seems that went by the wayside.....until Sunday. We played 12P 49% of the time and it had an astounding affect. Denver helped, of course but that works. Everybody knows when they're run blocking, an OL gets energized. And with 2 TEs on the field, play action opens up all kinds of possibilities which we also saw. Our top 2 receivers were TE's.....12 receptions, 151 yards, 2 TDs. The WRs had 8 for 45. Imagine Stafford under center, the OL, Kupp, Robinson and 2 TEs blocking for Akers, Williams and a third RB, the play action will be unbelievable. I know I'm repeating myself but get that TE beast from Georgia in the 2nd round and let him loose!

Yeah- Tavon Austin got Mcvay going with the jet sweep just because they needed to find away to get him the ball. He was a HORRIBLE route runner & smallish arms.
Then they traded him away & gave up a 1st rd pick for Cook(2nd?). He continued with the jet sweep & has over used it since Todd Gurley left as a big part of the offense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
From above - there is no doubt The Rams need a future TE.Hopkins will get to test the TE market & Higbee is on his last season of his contract in 2024 as well? Might seem a long way,but 2023 is already here & The Rams are starting off fresh right now.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
1000%
The Rams want continuity on the OL. They don’t want to throw fat FA contracts or premium picks at it.

An OL either holds up or it doesn’t. It’s either a cohesive unit or just a bunch of guys (talented or not) trying to block.. It’s there so other guys can make the big plays. Pro bowl RG’s and Centers don’t make big plays.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Faulty plan?
No foundation?
Ill-prepared for injuries?

Or have they managed to assemble O lines good enough to win....in fact dominate at times.....in the NFL?
I think it has been a lot of luck, which I'm assuming they were banking on. Didn't pan out in 2019, or this year. The Whit acquisition paid huge dividends for 5 years. I find it puzzling that doesn't strike our FO as a sound strategy, since it worked out so well for them.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
With some luck on the health front.. and maybe keeping 9-10 OL on the roster next year.. there's an argument to be made that the Rams don't have to bring in any new offensive linemen.
Jourdan seems to think a line of Jackson, Noteboom, Shelton, Bruss or Anchrum and Havenstein is possible. You'd keep Nsekhe, Aboushi, Arcuri, Brewer and Skura or Allen to backup Shelton.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
1000%
The Rams want continuity on the OL. They don’t want to throw fat FA contracts or premium picks at it.

An OL either holds up or it doesn’t. It’s either a cohesive unit or just a bunch of guys (talented or not) trying to block.. It’s there so other guys can make the big plays. Pro bowl RG’s and Centers don’t make big plays.
They value OL. Just not like some other teams. And those other teams. How many Lombardi's do they have the last 5 years?
I think it has been a lot of luck, which I'm assuming they were banking on. Didn't pan out in 2019, or this year. The Whit acquisition paid huge dividends for 5 years. I find it puzzling that doesn't strike our FO as a sound strategy, since it worked out so well for them.
It's not luck. It's fiscal responsibility. Laramy Tunsil just announced he wants to be the highest paid LT. He's #3 on the list currently. WTF, has he done that has made his team winners and earned him the highest paid moniker? They're 2-12-1 !!!! Yeah, that's great they have a franchise LT!!!

Look at the top 10 LTs in salary. Williams, Bakhtiari, Tunsil, Stanley, Matthews, Miller, Robinson, Bolles, Humphries. Orlando Brown and Taylor Lewan. I know, that's 11. And you know how many SB rings they've earned in the last 5 year. ZERO!!! Why? Because there's not enough money for the other important positions after paying the LT and QB.

The Rams don't value paying OL huge Jack like those guys get. Because they are invested in Stafford, Kupp, Donald, Ramsey, Floyd and Robinson. Why? Because those are the guys who prevent and score points. You're gonna get sacked twice a game (if the QB has balls), whether you have a great line or not.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
With some luck on the health front.. and maybe keeping 9-10 OL on the roster next year.. there's an argument to be made that the Rams don't have to bring in any new offensive linemen.
Jourdan seems to think a line of Jackson, Noteboom, Shelton, Bruss or Anchrum and Havenstein is possible. You'd keep Nsekhe, Aboushi, Arcuri, Brewer and Skura or Allen to backup Shelton.

It may be one thing to feel you can go with them and another to prepare for the future as Noteboom & Allen are big injury risks, Jackson's health is pretty uncertain, and Shelton & Anchrum become free agents following the 2023 season.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It may be one thing to feel you can go with them and another to prepare for the future as Noteboom & Allen are big injury risks, Jackson's health is pretty uncertain, and Shelton & Anchrum become free agents following the 2023 season.
You would have enough medical information on Jackson to make a decision on that. Blod clots are treatable, so.. we'll see.

Noteboom and Allen ARE big injury risks.. that's why I'd keep 10 OL.

If you lose all four you mention at the end of 23.. you may have one PS guy ready to bump up to the roster.. and you'll draft some replacements and maybe sign a low-end FA or two for depth.

I'm not advocating for that.. I'm saying it's reasonable. I'd, for sure, draft a decent Center.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You would have enough medical information on Jackson to make a decision on that. Blod clots are treatable, so.. we'll see.

Noteboom and Allen ARE big injury risks.. that's why I'd keep 10 OL.

If you lose all four you mention at the end of 23.. you may have one PS guy ready to bump up to the roster.. and you'll draft some replacements and maybe sign a low-end FA or two for depth.

I'm not advocating for that.. I'm saying it's reasonable. I'd, for sure, draft a decent Center.

It will be interesting to see whether the Rams have the brass to unload Allen's contract, they'd need to have some major confidence in Sheldon/Skura to do such a thing, so I'm on the doubtful side about Allen being given his walking papers at least until 2024.
I'll assume Edwards & Evans are history following this season, and while many had Shelton or Anchrum penciled in as a potential LG replacement, neither have proven to be particularly sufficient for starting roles yet, Shelton appears better as a Center imo.
The upcoming draft looks to have a few quality C/OG types that should be available in the higher rounds, drafting a starting LG who later becomes our future starter (2024) at Center seems a wise move. Because Noteboom/Jackson are questionable for permanent LT jobs, I might also seek out a mid-round LT prospect to compete with Arcuri as our swing OT.
jmo.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It will be interesting to see whether the Rams have the brass to unload Allen's contract, they'd need to have some major confidence in Sheldon/Skura to do such a thing, so I'm on the doubtful side about Allen being given his walking papers at least until 2024.
I'll assume Edwards & Evans are history following this season, and while many had Shelton or Anchrum penciled in as a potential LG replacement, neither have proven to be particularly sufficient for starting roles yet, Shelton appears better as a Center imo.
The upcoming draft looks to have a few quality C/OG types that should be available in the higher rounds, drafting a starting LG who later becomes our future starter (2024) at Center seems a wise move. Because Noteboom/Jackson are questionable for permanent LT jobs, I might also seek out a mid-round LT prospect to compete with Arcuri as our swing OT.
jmo.
All very reasonable.

Im hyper-focused on next year… that’s why I’m very big on bringing Nsekhe back… a professional backup. I don’t want a project in that spot next year.

With Allen… I just think his body is telling us everything we need to know.