Just re-watched the Bronco game…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, Kendrick has a lot of work to do if he ever wants his game to match his ego. Rochelle's lack of playing time is baffling to me, but I have to trust the DC on that. I am pretty sure the reason he isn't playing isn't "personal", hahaha....

fearsomefour

Legend
I would cut Kendricks he literally terrible. Right on cue he gets put in and he gets burned by Wilson.
No reason to cut Kendricks.
He certainly has struggled and may not get better.....but he may.
He is still a rookie on a cheap deal....let him come back and compete for a depth spot next year.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
Let's see how everyone performs against the charger's defense and offense in this next game. If lessons learned and coaching is good, and we win then we really have something. then take that and the last game and see if we are on the right track because consistency is something we sorely lack. exciting times ahead even though we are not in the playoffs. go rams.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It’s possible that Broncos caved in too easily because they’d lost confidence in Hackett and Russell Wilson.

I think it is very possible we saw their worst “effort” game.

I wonder where the Broncos go from here? They have issues.

I would temper the enthusiasm as the Rams were playing a bad football team that had given up on their Head Coach and everything came crashing down on Christmas Day.

This sort of answers the first quote.

What concerns me is a fans, we all have been clamoring for the 12 personnel double TE's to aid in the run game along with benching Derion Kendrick and playing Cobie Durant.

This board definitely wanted this.

We definitely need a big back like an AJ Dillon to go with Akers. Akers just lacks that power for short yardage and wearing down a defense. Need a physical back vs strong defenses.

I agree!

I wonder if the two TE sets had more to do with Skow being out, rather than McVay coming to a realization about the effectiveness of 12 personnel. Maybe McVay just needed another big receiver and Hopkins was the next man up. I hope not. Hopkins can do what Skow can only he's a size bigger and that helps the decimated OL. We'll see....

It’s possible. Good question.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, but you need to get some youth for the future in the system. Anchrum will be in the last yr of his contract, same with Brewer. So while young, will they be here past next yr? Nsekhe & Aboushi are short term vets who are pretty long in the tooth.

So at OT you have an old vet RT, an injury prone starting LT, a 37 yr old journeyman who is not under contract, and a 7th round rookie RT. The key will be is do they feel Alaric Jackson is the future at LT or at G... and is his health not an issue in their minds?

And they really don't have a young stud center. They are relying on over achiever types who have an injury history.

So let's bring in some youth and let the competition create the best OL possible.

And they will likley have 10 picks or more so they have room to add some OL depth.

Well like Kupp with a rookie (best offensive lineman available) early is the way to go.

O’day should be cheep.The player I’d like to see The Rams keep of Ty,Skura,& O’day is ??

I’d say Ty Nys.because he is a stop gap plug in LT.The big question is if he can play RT well.
He could start over Noteboom &
move from LT to RT if Havienstien gets hurt.

To me it’s about building a foundation of players in case of injury as well.Building it this way,but through the draft.

Les Snead & Sean Mcvay not addressing G/C 2020 & 2021 is inexcusable. Let’s leave Tutu Atwell out of this.He is what he is & he is a young ascending Ram who has ALL The Veteran & coaching support he ever needs
to be successful.-Speed Kills!

The other player is Matt Skura he is big enough to be a solid guard,but if he gets a full it’s & training camp after already knowing the offense might be that C/G The Rams need ?

The way I see it is The Rams don’t value the CENTER SPOT as much as maybe they should have. Cutting John Sullivan in 2019 led to The Rams not making the playoffs.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I wonder if the two TE sets had more to do with Skow being out, rather than McVay coming to a realization about the effectiveness of 12 personnel. Maybe McVay just needed another big receiver and Hopkins was the next man up. I hope not. Hopkins can do what Skow can only he's a size bigger and that helps the decimated OL. We'll see....
I forget who said it - may have been JB - but the 2 TE sets and throwing to them was due to the quality of the Broncos CBs. McVay apparently wasn't convinced our WRs could beat them so he devised the game plan to go through Akers and our TEs. Not sure if that is accurate but it sounded logical to me.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yes on Ty NO on Sakura he was terrible all the other games on par with Evans.

Evans is only on par with himself, he doesn't belong in the NFL. Even Kolone played somewhat better and he's been bumped by Skura.
Skura hasn't been playing at his strongest position which is at Center, not OG.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
1To me it’s about building a foundation of players in case of injury as well. Building it this way but through the draft.

Les Snead & Sean Mcvay not addressing G/C 2020 & 2021 is inexcusable. Let’s leave Tutu Atwell out of this. He is what he is & he is a young ascending Ram who has ALL The Veteran & coaching support he ever needs
to be successful.-Speed Kills!

The other player is Matt Skura he is big enough to be a solid guard but if he gets a full it’s & training camp after already knowing the offense might be that C/G The Rams need ?

The way I see it is The Rams don’t value the CENTER SPOT as much as maybe they should have. Cutting John Sullivan in 2019 led to The Rams not making the playoffs.
I have heard what a huge mistake it was to let Sullivan walk but was Sullivan that good? Really? He was a good player years back with the Vikings, starting all but 3 games from 2009 to 2014. Then he had microfracture surgery on his knee and missed the entire 2015 season. They released him in 2016 and he caught on with the Redskins where he played in 13 games (1 start) but had back problems. Then the Rams signed him. After 2 years with the Rams, they let him walk and NOBODY picked him up. That doesn't sound like a guy you really couldn't do without to me.

This thing about building a foundation of players in case of injury sounds nice but is it practical? And how common is it in the NFL? How deep can you possibly be on the O line? Can you afford quality veteran backups at every spot? No. So what's the alternative? You have your starting 5 and 2, maybe 3 quality backups made up of young guys and maybe a vet. So in 2019, they had 3 starters injured (Noteboom, Allen and Havenstein) and it didn't work out too well. This year they were all injured except for Havenstein and again, it didn't work out well. Oddly enough, Whitworth missed 7 games in 2020 and the team still managed to finish 10-6, making the postseason with Noteboom covering for Whitworth and 2 more games for Edwards.

The Rams went to 2 Superbowls, winning 1, the playoffs 4 out of 6 seasons under McVay and here is the list of offensive lineman who made that possible and the round in which they were drafted.

Andrew Whitworth (2nd) , Rodger Saffold (2nd), Rob Havenstein (2nd), John Sullivan (6th-Min), Jamon Brown (3rd) , Austin Blythe (7th-Ind), Austin Corbett (2nd-Cleve), Brian Allen (4th) , Joseph Noteboom (3rd), David Edwards (5th), Shelton (UDFA). Whitworth certainly was the best and Saffold probably second. But Saffold was drafted to be the LT and played there his first three seasons. He was often injured (sound familiar?) and missed 13 games in 2011 and 2012, then in 2013 was switched to G because they acquired Jake Long to play LT. And still he missed 4 games starting only 9 total. Then he missed 5 games over the next 6 seasons! Havenstein has been very good and very bad. Sullivan was a JAG. Same for Brown and Blythe. Corbett was a failure in Cleveland but flourished with the Rams. Allen and Noteboom were often injured but played well when healthy. Edwards is a penalty machine and now he's got health problems. Shelton? To be determined. 67-39, to date, including postseason. Can it be said "they didn't build a foundation"?

This year, their 3rd round draft pick goes down before the season. Then Allen goes down again and they move Shelton and insert Anchrum....1st man up. He plays 2 snaps and goes down. And yet some fans feel he's in line to battle Bruss (with zero NFL games played) for the RG spot next year. Alaric Jackson plays 4 games at G and 2 at LT and some fans have anointed him the LT for 2023! Then we have Chandler Brewer who some have said has shown to be a quality lineman in just 2 games played. Understand, I'm not disagreeing with those possibilities because I think they're all viable options mainly because they have been part of the plan under McVay. I wouldn't hand them anything just yet though. But I'm not getting how these guys, who are being spoken of as possible starters, are part of a failed plan or ill-prepared approach to the O line. You can't have it both ways.

Truth is they look at the OL with a different view than fans. Sure, we can speak of such overused sayings like "you win in the trenches" or "it all starts up front" (using our best John Facenda or Keith Jackson voice) but if those are incontrovertibly true, how in the hell have McVay & Co done it? With smoke and mirrors? Outrageous luck? 67-39 including the postseason, 2 SBs and 1 Lombardi?

Faulty plan?
No foundation?
Ill-prepared for injuries?

Or have they managed to assemble O lines good enough to win....in fact dominate at times.....in the NFL?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have heard what a huge mistake it was to let Sullivan walk but was Sullivan that good? Really?
Sullivan's value was tied to Goff during his learning curve. So losing Sully was a hit for the QB, as was the loss of Olson to the Raiders. Those two elements affected the QB rather strongly I think and not in a good way.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Sullivan's value was tied to Goff during his learning curve. So losing Sully was a hit for the QB, as was the loss of Olson to the Raiders. Those two elements affected the QB rather strongly I think and not in a good way.
McVay didn't know that? Or went ahead with letting Sullivan walk anyway? Or thought Goff was ready to wear the big boy pants by year 3 in his system and wanted to upgrade the C position physically? Then when he wasn't, he traded him to Detroit for Stafford? Well he moved us forward, that's for sure.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay didn't know that? Or went ahead with letting Sullivan walk anyway? Or thought Goff was ready to wear the big boy pants by year 3 in his system and wanted to upgrade the C position physically? Then when he wasn't, he traded him to Detroit for Stafford? Well he moved us forward, that's for sure.
Nobody knows. But I would guess he expected Goff to develop quicker in his reads and protection calls than he did. Because those were a big part of why he was moved to Detroit IMO. I think McVay lost patience with his development basically. But we will never know the real reason. Could be that he sent a message to everyone on accident that he'd "pipe" McVay's girlfriend. :laugh4:

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Several weeks after that.

We don’t know how much missing time slowed him or where he was on development.

We know his tackling is a big issue.
Tackling is an issue but he plays on special teams? Weird.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
In before we don’t draft OL until day 3
Explode Dick Wolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So true. I mean you have to laugh. We'll probably win another Super Bowl too. :laugh4:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think it is very possible we saw their worst “effort” game.

I wonder where the Broncos go from here? They have issues.

This sort of answers the first quote.

This board definitely wanted this.

I agree!

It’s possible. Good question.
1. Quit - yes,maybe? I’d say The D-Line has been playing hard though & Aaron Rogers was spot on in Green Bay.Hoecht has really added to the pass rush with his effort.Plus still missing A. Rob & Ad99. Greg Gaines & Flow are both playing at a high level.

Putting up 50 in The NFL with backups is something to get excited for. It shows Sean Mcvay hasn’t lost the locker(team) as Hacket did.The Rams are all helping themselves & is cool to see.

Getting a bigger RB was what The Rams should have done to start 2022.Jake Funk is a special teams guy only. He didn’t look good at during any preseason games for 2 seasons.-cut bait earlier on those types. —financial reason only.
Why would you say think about cutting Bruss he didn't play this season but for one play. He was a rookie and a 3rd rounder.

Well if he doesn’t preform & there are better players on the roster then any player shouldn’t clog up a roster spot.

There are players up & down the roster that you might make a case for & against.

My hope is he has a Great OTA & is impressive in training camp.I do think if he is looking great in OTA’s The Rams coaching staff/scouting should know that. Then maybe The Rams wouldn’t need to address the C/G spot ?

To keep a player on the roster just because of his draft status should only go so far.

The Rams needed a big RB. Blanton got cut so right out of the gate The Rams are left with WR’s blocking & helping in protection.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This year, their 3rd round draft pick goes down before the season. Then Allen goes down again and they move Shelton and insert Anchrum....1st man up. He plays 2 snaps and goes down. And yet some fans feel he's in line to battle Bruss (with zero NFL games played) for the RG spot next year. Alaric Jackson plays 4 games at G and 2 at LT and some fans have anointed him the LT for 2023! Then we have Chandler Brewer who some have said has shown to be a quality lineman in just 2 games played. Understand, I'm not disagreeing with those possibilities because I think they're all viable options mainly because they have been part of the plan under McVay. I wouldn't hand them anything just yet though. But I'm not getting how these guys, who are being spoken of as possible starters, are part of a failed plan or ill-prepared approach to the O line. You can't have it both ways.

If we are to consider an alleged 'failed plan', many may feel it as a result of our declining depth after starters at LT, LG & RG were dismissed. It may have started with Sullivan being initially replaced by Allen/Blythe and then Saffold for Noteboom at LG, and this year we opened with Noteboom instead of Whitworth at LT & Shelton in place of Corbett at RG. Numerous fans have also questioned whether Edwards might have been more suitable as a reserve OT rather than a starting LG. The Rams didn't draft an offensive lineman in 2021, but it appears we may have gotten incredibly lucky on UDFA Alaric Jackson, pending his future health status. Injured players are very much out of our control, so I won't go into this aspect of the game. After Saffold left us in 2019, the Rams have drafted Bobby Evans (3'rd), David Edwards (5'th), Anchrum (7'th), Bruss (3'rd), & Arcuri (7'th). Our 1 fairly significant OL trade was for Corbett in 2019, and there have been no starting free agents brought in since Whitworth, Sullivan & waiver claim Blythe back in 2017.
The furor from drafting Tutu Atwell over Creed Humphrey last year remains strong.
Scheme may also play into fan disappointment occasionally with our lack of emphasis on the running game & moving away from 12 Personnel when it seems warranted, but nonetheless, we still managed to carry off the Lombardi Trophy, ... so WTF.

jmo.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nobody knows. But I would guess he expected Goff to develop quicker in his reads and protection calls than he did. Because those were a big part of why he was moved to Detroit IMO. I think McVay lost patience with his development basically. But we will never know the real reason. Could be that he sent a message to everyone on accident that he'd "pipe" McVay's girlfriend. :laugh4:
Well actually IMO it was the opposite. Goff was hitting himself off a nice piece.The Rams had everything in place on offense & because of COVID should have been Way ahead of other NFL teams.He spent way to much time away from the facility
& wasn’t all in. Mcvay is TEAM first,not ME