Julio Jones traded to Tennessee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

happy the rams passed. don't need no aging vet past his prime trying to get his pension money from a team willing to pay it.

these aren't the spags rams. or the cardinals.

go syphon money from another team julio.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Team that trades for Julio Jones may have to be ready to give him a new contract, sooner than later​

In two days, the window opens for a potential Julio Jones trade that minimizes the 2021 cap consequences for the Falcons. Wherever Julio lands, the new team could eventually have a different kind of cap consequence.

According to a source familiar with Jones’ past contractual expectations, the team that trades for Jones needs to account for the very real possibility that Jones will want a new deal.

Currently, he’s due to make $15.3 million this year, $11.513 million next year, and $11.513 million in 2023. That’s $38.326 million over three years, an average payout of $12.775 million annually.

Sure, Jones’ current deal has an average annual value of $22 million. His new team, however, is getting him on a three-year, $12.775 million deal. That’s how Jones or any other player would view it.

The question is whether he’ll want a new deal on the way in, or whether he’ll want one after the 2021 season. Either way, the notion that the Jones contract is attractive because an elite player can be gotten for $12.775 million per year over three years overlooks the reality that, sooner than later, Jones will want his contract to be adjusted — especially if he has a huge first year at his next destination.

And that could be one of the various reasons why the Falcons haven’t been able to get their expected return of a first-round pick with no commitment to pay any of his salary. The team that buys the Jones contract also will be buying the reality that Jones will want that contract to be torn up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Jones was 27-28 then I’d consider it. Otherwise, no thanks. Woods and Kupp fit the McVay offense like a glove and both are very productive. There is no need to make the trade for Julio Jones. It would be a lateral move to include one of the Rams top two receivers.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
If Jones was 27-28 then I’d consider it. Otherwise, no thanks. Woods and Kupp fit the McVay offense like a glove and both are very productive. There is no need to make the trade for Julio Jones. It would be a lateral move to include one of the Rams top two receivers.
I would only do it if it didn't include Woods or Kupp, but that's just me I guess.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't trust your version of Skowronek; he's a 4.6 on the field at the very most, and can't separate from cornerbacks. That was always his problem at Notre Dame; he was a big contested catch target, but he could not separate from any corner and lacked the precise route-running that was necessary for someone to thrive as a wide receiver without speed.
I dont completely disagree with your take here, just need to consider that he played his first 4 years at Northwestern in Fitzgerald's run centric offense. All he basically did there was block and release, not much requirement on route running. Dont know about not being able to separate though, he does have a twichy step and can get around. Not gonna beat anyone deep with inline speed. His highlight reel shows his great contested catches, but he did make some standard slot type catches too. Anquan Boldin type toughness

PARAM

Hall of Fame
His current contract is what makes him worth trading for.
A new deal? GTFO
Because it's the tail end and all the big money has been paid. Which kills me that these players will look at the tail end and want a new deal. He's the 2nd highest paid WR for the average of the deal. And what did Atlanta get for that? A SB loss. He got his money but he'll want more.

dang

Legend
Good luck Julio. IMO he needs to treat the new team like he would the Falcons. Honor your current contract, play lights out and align yourself with another lucrative contract AFTER the current contract runs out (either with current team or as a FA).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good luck Julio. IMO he needs to treat the new team like he would the Falcons. Honor your current contract, play lights out and align yourself with another lucrative contract AFTER the current contract runs out (either with current team or as a FA).
He'll be 35 when he's looing for that new contract, good luck with that!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's the 2nd highest paid WR for the average of the deal. And what did Atlanta get for that? A SB loss. He got his money but he'll want more.

he made a stupendous catch to put the falcons well inside fg range so all they had to do was run it 3 times to make the cheats use their time outs and then kick the fg to put them 11 points ahead and win the superbowl.

it's not his fault ratboy called a long developing pass play which led to a sack and put them out of fg range.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would only do it if it didn't include Woods or Kupp, but that's just me I guess.
Only so many touches to go around. Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, Higbee, DJ, Tutu. I think they’d have to trade one and Woods or Kupp would be the most desirable to replace Jones for the Falcons.

I’d love to know which other veterans they wanted. The Falcons aren’t exactly on the cusp and don’t have cap room to resign a guy like DWill. I think it would have to be someone in their mid to late twenties and not about to become a free agent. Corbett, Edwards, Havenstein, Higbee, woods, Kupp, Young, Hollins, Henderson, Floyd. Who could fit that bill?

dang

Legend
From a cap $$$ perspective Woods or Kupp would be cheaper this year but more expensive the next 2 years. So either of those 2 being traded to Atlanta doesn’t make sense from a cap $$$ perspective

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Only so many touches to go around. Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, Higbee, DJ, Tutu. I think they’d have to trade one and Woods or Kupp would be the most desirable to replace Jones for the Falcons.

I’d love to know which other veterans they wanted. The Falcons aren’t exactly on the cusp and don’t have cap room to resign a guy like DWill. I think it would have to be someone in their mid to late twenties and not about to become a free agent. Corbett, Edwards, Havenstein, Higbee, woods, Kupp, Young, Hollins, Henderson, Floyd. Who could fit that bill?
I'd be ok with Van Jefferson being traded but not sure if that'll be enough

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Didn't I say the door wasn't closed. Until the guy signs with someone, I'm sure they'll keep throwing the Rams name out there thanks to one Les Snead lol

Screenshot_20210601-105621_Chrome.jpg

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Really hoping he goes to an AFC team. WOuld make me sick to my stomach if the whiners or hags got him..