Jrry32 Too Early Mock Off-Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
HAHAHAHA!! come onnn jrry32, how awesome would it be seeing him link up with Austin on a nice TD bomb and then seeing all our young guys and Manziel showing swag and confidence in the endzone. I think for such a young team like us, we could use a qb who is outspoken and arrogant (in a positive way).

Don't get me wrong, I was a HUGE Bradford fan when he came out (truthfully I cried in sheer joy when his selection announcement was made :oops:), bought his jersey, the whole nine yards, because I thought we had drafted our franchise quarterback, but every time I want to root for the guy, something inside just screams average. I know that may rub some the wrong way but I expected him to be a lot more consistent and lighting up the league. Now I know he hasn't had many pieces around him and many mediocre olines, but a guy like him in his draft position should not be having many people questioning his future with the team. I have made it a point not to share here or in the "other" forum my feelings towards Bradford, but I think this injury has created a perfect storm to see what else we can add to the position that could benefit us in the long run. The guy has the smarts, the work ethic, and the skillset to be a top 5 qb, but for one reason or another when he steps out on the field, the game awareness and IT factor don't consistently show up. BELIEVE ME, I want more than anything for Bradford to be an all-pro qb, even an above average Flacco-like qb, but my gut tells me if he hasn't gotten it done in his first few years, then what makes you think he will suddenly develop the characteristics to make him an elite qb? Fire away boys if you will!!:peek::juiced:I'm ready!! haha

Last 16 games:
28 TDs
11 Ints

"It" factor(which doesn't exist) has nothing to do with his "struggles".

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I like most of this. I think we could go elsewhere than Manziel, to add a QB to develop behind Sam. Rounds 3-5 is where I'd look. I understand the Evans pick, but I think Quick has been improving (hands need work), and we could address a larger need. I would go Haha Clinton-Dix & OG in the 1st. I think its 50/50 that they keep Dahl, but I find it hard to believe they let Wells go after just 2 years, 70/30 he stays. I'd like both OGs to be upgraded, but if I had to pick one guy to keep it'd be Dahl. Williams/Smith is a pretty bad combo. I also understand the Matthews/Lewan reasoning, as they can start at RT, and eventually take over at LT. But to me LG & RG are more important than RT. I think Barksdale may be our 2nd best starter this year. I do like the Crowell pick. Pead is likely to be traded or cut the way things are going, and DRich is a decent change of pace.

Imo the most likely line:

LT Long
LG (Draft pick)
C Wells
RG Dahl/FA
RT Barksdale

I don't really think the weapons, aside from RB need to be upgraded for 2014. TEs 1-3 I'm good with. Bailey will be more involved in 2014, with TA, Quick, Givens developing more. We have Pettis through 2014, he's a good RZ target & can step in at flanker and slot at times. I think its more about upgrading the OL, continuity of O, development of youngsters, and more creative plays/playcalling to maximize mismatches & involve everyone.

I agree that Walton needs to be let go. No other way to explain a unit that was on its way to top 10/top 5, dropping off the way they have. Get a ballhawking FS to pair with TMac and add a CB with starting potenial in the 2-4 rounds, maybe get another DT. I believe the JLD resigning needs to happen

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like most of this. I think we could go elsewhere than Manziel, to add a QB to develop behind Sam. Rounds 3-5 is where I'd look. I understand the Evans pick, but I think Quick has been improving (hands need work), and we could address a larger need. I would go Haha Clinton-Dix & OG in the 1st. I think its 50/50 that they keep Dahl, but I find it hard to believe they let Wells go after just 2 years, 70/30 he stays. I'd like both OGs to be upgraded, but if I had to pick one guy to keep it'd be Dahl. Williams/Smith is a pretty bad combo. I also understand the Matthews/Lewan reasoning, as they can start at RT, and eventually take over at LT. But to me LG & RG are more important than RT. I think Barksdale may be our 2nd best starter this year. I do like the Crowell pick. Pead is likely to be traded or cut the way things are going, and DRich is a decent change of pace.

Imo the most likely line:

LT Long
LG (Draft pick)
C Wells
RG Dahl/FA
RT Barksdale

I don't really think the weapons, aside from RB need to be upgraded for 2014. TEs 1-3 I'm good with. Bailey will be more involved in 2014, with TA, Quick, Givens developing more. We have Pettis through 2014, he's a good RZ target & can step in at flanker and slot at times. I think its more about upgrading the OL, continuity of O, development of youngsters, and more creative plays/playcalling to maximize mismatches & involve everyone.

I agree that Walton needs to be let go. No other way to explain a unit that was on its way to top 10/top 5, dropping off the way they have. Get a ballhawking FS to pair with TMac and add a CB with starting potenial in the 2-4 rounds, maybe get another DT. I believe the JLD resigning needs to happen

You draft players...not needs(well...that's my philosophy). Matthews is head and shoulders better than any OG in this class. And it will be harder to find a OT like him in the future than an OG like Gabe Jackson or Cyril Richardson.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
HAHAHAHA!! come onnn jrry32, how awesome would it be seeing him link up with Austin on a nice TD bomb and then seeing all our young guys and Manziel showing swag and confidence in the endzone. I think for such a young team like us, we could use a qb who is outspoken and arrogant (in a positive way).

Don't get me wrong, I was a HUGE Bradford fan when he came out (truthfully I cried in sheer joy when his selection announcement was made :oops:), bought his jersey, the whole nine yards, because I thought we had drafted our franchise quarterback, but every time I want to root for the guy, something inside just screams average. I know that may rub some the wrong way but I expected him to be a lot more consistent and lighting up the league. Now I know he hasn't had many pieces around him and many mediocre olines, but a guy like him in his draft position should not be having many people questioning his future with the team. I have made it a point not to share here or in the "other" forum my feelings towards Bradford, but I think this injury has created a perfect storm to see what else we can add to the position that could benefit us in the long run. The guy has the smarts, the work ethic, and the skillset to be a top 5 qb, but for one reason or another when he steps out on the field, the game awareness and IT factor don't consistently show up. BELIEVE ME, I want more than anything for Bradford to be an all-pro qb, even an above average Flacco-like qb, but my gut tells me if he hasn't gotten it done in his first few years, then what makes you think he will suddenly develop the characteristics to make him an elite qb? Fire away boys if you will!!:peek::juiced:I'm ready!! haha

Bradford=Alex Smith. At last glance, with support, capable of being undefeated, but also capable of looking bad without everything else that is required for success. Heck, Bulger, Warner, and Green went to Pro Bowls and also spent times looking washed up. That said, a developmental QB is an obvious necessity. Green Bay drafted Rodgers when Favre was an All Pro. It would be prudent to use one of the many high picks for insurance, ala Kaepernick for Smith.

Stacy is our starting RB. He's MJD, Gore, Rice good. No need to draft his replacement. Cunningham is his backup with Richardson's occasional contributions.

Snead and Fisher don't draft O-Linemen in the first round. T H I S M U S T change unless they spend for a young free agent like Timmerman or Hutchison of years past.

If I had to spend money in free agency, it would be at safety. I still don't understand why Byrd isn't a Ram yet.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
You draft players...not needs(well...that's my philosophy). Matthews is head and shoulders better than any OG in this class. And it will be harder to find a OT like him in the future than an OG like Gabe Jackson or Cyril Richardson.

I can dig it, I just think Barksdale is a solid option at RT for 2014. I'm a big fan of Clinton-Dix, and I could see us going RT (future LT) with Matthews. I would say we should target a starting OG in the first few rounds.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can dig it, I just think Barksdale is a solid option at RT for 2014. I'm a big fan of Clinton-Dix, and I could see us going RT (future LT) with Matthews. I would say we should target a starting OG in the first few rounds.
I would agree but sometimes, the board just doesn't fall that way. Know what I mean? :D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
To be honest, I like Barksdale better as a prospect than any of our WR's. I might put him even with Givens but I have little faith in Quick and Austin is a slot. Why spend a REALLY premium pick on a RT when the one we have is just fine...at least recently?

The Panthers ate up ORT Joe Barksdale early.... so bad that the rust burdened Saffold was sent in off the bench. Barksdale was sent to the bench & never seen again. Barksdale has one big hole in his game .....speed rushers off the edge but in this game Barksdale was in total fail in his run blocking also. I not so sure yet that he is the answer for Sam Bradford as our Starting Right OT. If you are going with a pocket passer that needs more time than most @ QB & from all signals from Snead & Fisher its not even up for discussion then a need @ Right OT must be a top PRIORITY!

At the same time a CB is also there too....not so sure that our starting corners Johnson & Jenkins on the outside in 2012 & 2013 are as weak & bad as they look but our secondary currently is in FAIL mode. I think its the lousy defensive scheme myself that is cancerous. I have little doubt that the Rams will have a top five pick in the next draft. If Mathews is there you take him if not I trade out for many more picks. We are sure to have a hit on one sooner or later....

V3

Hall of Fame
The Panthers ate up ORT Joe Barksdale early.... so bad that the rust burdened Saffold was sent in off the bench. Barksdale was sent to the bench & never seen again. Barksdale has one big hole in his game .....speed rushers off the edge but in this game Barksdale was in total fail in his run blocking also. I not so sure yet that he is the answer for Sam Bradford as our Starting Right OT. If you are going with a pocket passer that needs more time than most @ QB & from all signals from Snead & Fisher its not even up for discussion then a need @ Right OT must be a top PRIORITY!

At the same time a CB is also there too....not so sure that our starting corners Johnson & Jenkins on the outside in 2012 & 2013 are as weak & bad as they look but our secondary currently is in FAIL mode. I think its the lousy defensive scheme myself that is cancerous. I have little doubt that the Rams will have a top five pick in the next draft. If Mathews is there you take him if not I trade out for many more picks. We are sure to have a hit on one sooner or later....

I wasn't really paying attention to that spot in that game due to all the other issues. I do know that he's been highly rated on PFF for RT's in the league so he's been performing pretty well in the other games he's played. He's not perfect but I'm less worried about him than other people. I'm definitely not worried about him enough to spend a first round pick on a RT.

As for the CB's, I'm sure the scheme isn't helping which is why the Rams should fire Walton NOW and let someone else see if they can do better. It'd be nice to see how much is the player or the scheme. I'm still not convinced Johnson is best suited at CB. He definitely doesn't do that well playing off the line. I REALLY want to see him playing FS. I think he'd be a Pro Bowler at that position. I really don't know what to think of Jenkins. If he didn't play the way he did last year, I'd say he was one of the most overrated players on the team.

Going off of Fisher's past, I'd bet the Rams take a RB, CB, or DT in the first round. Slight chance at a S.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I wasn't really paying attention to that spot in that game due to all the other issues. I do know that he's been highly rated on PFF for RT's in the league so he's been performing pretty well in the other games he's played. He's not perfect but I'm less worried about him than other people. I'm definitely not worried about him enough to spend a first round pick on a RT.

As for the CB's, I'm sure the scheme isn't helping which is why the Rams should fire Walton NOW and let someone else see if they can do better. It'd be nice to see how much is the player or the scheme. I'm still not convinced Johnson is best suited at CB. He definitely doesn't do that well playing off the line. I REALLY want to see him playing FS. I think he'd be a Pro Bowler at that position. I really don't know what to think of Jenkins. If he didn't play the way he did last year, I'd say he was one of the most overrated players on the team.

Going off of Fisher's past, I'd bet the Rams take a RB, CB, or DT in the first round. Slight chance at a S.

I could live with one of CB, DT or S as long as the other 1st rounder is an OT, hopefully J. Matthews. I pray we do NOT take a RB in round 1.

V3

Hall of Fame
I could live with one of CB, DT or S as long as the other 1st rounder is an OT, hopefully J. Matthews. I pray we do NOT take a RB in round 1.

I'd hate a RB in the first, too. Fisher loves them, though. He was ready to take Richardson if Cleveland didn't. I'm fine with an OT in the first ONLY if they plan on moving him to LT eventually. If he's better than Long, move Long over to RT and dump him the first chance his contract allows without a huge cap hit.

On a side note, I'm ready to dump Richardson from my fantasy team for a FA.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I'd hate a RB in the first, too. Fisher loves them, though. He was ready to take Richardson if Cleveland didn't. I'm fine with an OT in the first ONLY if they plan on moving him to LT eventually. If he's better than Long, move Long over to RT and dump him the first chance his contract allows without a huge cap hit.

On a side note, I'm ready to dump Richardson from my fantasy team for a FA.

You've just got to think that's what would happen with Matthews if we select him. He has experience at RT, we have a need there and he could certainly move to LT in a couple of years after getting acclimated to the NFL. It just makes too much sense.

As for picking T. Richardson, thank you Cleveland!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Matthews and Clinton-Dix would be awesome.

It's a combination of need and pure talent. Why wouldn't you want a right tackle that can back up or even start as your left tackle. Considering the timing with the Saffold situation, the timing just couldn't be better. Also, Jerry was right about it being a cost effective solution.

Then Hasean would allow our corners to play tighter. To me, drafting Clinton-Dix is the only have to no brainer. But if they traded down to acquire Louis Nix, Clinton-Dix and a corner(I won't pretend to be able to guess who's available at that point), I would be elated as well :)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I see where many like the ideal of another first round selection being used for a DT. I would have no major issues with a NT type DL like Louis Nix a 6-2 352 pounder with the second first round pick. After Brockers 326 lbs the regular interior rotational players like Langford 310 lbs, Hayes 285 lbs, Sims 270 lbs, Conrath 290 lbs & Cudjo 310 lbs are on normal side for interior DL'ers about 299 Pounds. But I do not see a need here nor do I see a future concern need with any of these DL'ers. But if you released Kendall you would save about 2 1/2 mil in the cap in that exchange with replacing him with a First round pick....not all that much. Snead & Fisher have much of the Ram team wealth invested & tied up in the DL already. Rams have three 2008, 2011 & 2012 first round picks.

Back to the corners JJ & TJ ..2012 2nd & 3rd round picks.... am I crazy to think if these two DB's were on the Seahawk team defense that they would be tearing up the NFL with playmaking & takeaways? As far as a TJ being a better safety? Not sure about that he is 6-2 208 pounder who seems to have eased off on his tackling ability with really bad angles & whiffing. But the Rams 2013 corner play has been dismal & that's being nice. Rams also have two IR'd young safeties trying to get healed to come back to compete in 2014 with McDonald & Daniels that would go with youthful McLeod & Davis that's four there.....First I sure would seek to replace Finnegan ASAP! The Rams have stuffed 29 million in Finnegan's bank account (2012 & 2013) to perform as a top NFL CB for this team.....IMO we have a total FAIL ongoing. IMO Big ongoing present concern @ CB that needs addressing in many different ways.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Matthews and Clinton-Dix would be awesome.

It's a combination of need and pure talent. Why wouldn't you want a right tackle that can back up or even start as your left tackle. Considering the timing with the Saffold situation, the timing just couldn't be better. Also, Jerry was right about it being a cost effective solution.

Then Hasean would allow our corners to play tighter. To me, drafting Clinton-Dix is the only have to no brainer. But if they traded down to acquire Louis Nix, Clinton-Dix and a corner(I won't pretend to be able to guess who's available at that point), I would be elated as well :)

Agree with all this! Many mock draft sites I've been reading have Matthews and Dix with our first 2 picks, and I couldn't be any happier!!:D

If you guys get a chance, youtube these guys, along with all the other prospects, there's a lot of footage showcasing their strengths and weaknesses.

I'll take Matthews with the first pick and Dix, but if we have a high enough second pick I could see us trading down which I wouldn't mind either. stock up on those picks, baby!!

fancents86

Starter
Fisher already dealt with Vince Young, I don't see him drafting the white version of him (Manziel) anytime soon.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Fisher already dealt with Vince Young, I don't see him drafting the white version of him (Manziel) anytime soon.

At first glance, you could make a case that both guys are similar, but I there's a few things to consider:
  • Young was a high pick, Manziel will not be so the gamble is a little less riskier
  • Young's accuracy is no where near Manziel's
  • Young was never Fisher's guy; so if Manziel was brought in you KNOW it was his guy he wanted
  • I think Young was genuinely mentally unstable, whereas Manziel's off the field issues have to do more with maturity. I think Manziel's got immense confidence in himself and brings that swag that you need from a qb
Don't get me wrong tho, I'd only take a flier on Manziel in the second round or later, preferably after stacking up on picks and addressing our team's biggest holes ie grabbing a RT (Matthews), signing Byrd or drafting a FT (Dix), and signing a guard (Asamoah) or drafting one. Remember, there's no guarantee Bradford comes back 100% and the same guy before the injury, so an insurance plan would be in Fisher and Snead's best interest.

…..

Legend
I was tempted to not read this thread at all......cause the season is NOT over and its way to early to play GM for a day.

1. My comments are...I would not cut Harvey Dahl.
2. I llike the Manziel idea if he'd truly drop to that position.
3. I resign Saffold if possible, but that might not be our choice.
4. Zac Stacey has alot to prove if you're going to avoid going RB high. Your assuming an awful lot on a small sample size.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was tempted to not read this thread at all......cause the season is NOT over and its way to early to play GM for a day.

1. My comments are...I would not cut Harvey Dahl.
2. I llike the Manziel idea if he'd truly drop to that position.
3. I resign Saffold if possible, but that might not be our choice.
4. Zac Stacey has alot to prove if you're going to avoid going RB high. Your assuming an awful lot on a small sample size.

Saffold can't stay healthy. I wouldn't give him a long term deal.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Saffold can't stay healthy. I wouldn't give him a long term deal.
Sadly, that seems to be the case. I'm trying to recall a lineman who was banged up repeatedly his first 3 years and then went on to have a relatively injury free (and long) career. Nobody really comes to mind.