Jrry32 Too Early Mock Off-Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't see why we should spend a premium draft pick on a receiver when we haven't even finished developing what we have. That's like buying a new car before you even break in the old one.

As for not spending a high draft pick on a RT, with the rookie wage scale and the fact that now you really need two bookend tackles on the O-Line, it would seem foolish not to take such a good prospect, which would give us flexibility, and insurance, as well as a great OT.

To be honest, I like Barksdale better as a prospect than any of our WR's. I might put him even with Givens but I have little faith in Quick and Austin is a slot. Why spend a REALLY premium pick on a RT when the one we have is just fine...at least recently?

V3

Hall of Fame
Nobody is saying Long was a bad pickup with this draft. Remember, Matthews has played RT while Joeckel was at TAMU, he has experience at the position. He's saying it's time for Saffold to go.

I'd rather take Ha-Ha Clinton Dix in the first. There's more talent at CB deeper into the draft. Where as safety drops off pretty quick.

Like I said, there's no way I'm spending a top 5 pick on a RT. That's just crazy. I'd rather take a RB and the thought of that makes me sick.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't think Manziel is eligible this year is he?

He's a redshirt sophomore, and he's publicly said that he doesn't want to stay at A&M. He's bolting the first second he gets. That said, I don't want him. He's far too light to last in the NFL. He's getting hurt in college, for crying out loud. No way he lasts in the NFL.

I also don't like getting LaMarr Houston. He has not shown much of a pass-rush with Oakland, and I see no reason why switching him to an entirely new position will make any difference.

I love the Crowell pick, and it's not just because I was the first one to make it. :p Jake Matthews is an obvious option in the top of the first round, as is Taylor Lewan. I would love to have Asamoah as well, but I can't see any reason why the Chiefs don't lock him up to a long-term deal. I'd be okay with Mike Evans, but don't sleep on Sammy Watkins either; he fits the MO of a Snisher pick (huge upside, minor character issues), and the Rams scouted his teammate (DeAndre Hopkins) extensively. Haven't seen much of Joyner, so I can't comment on him.

bluecoconuts

Legend
To be honest, I like Barksdale better as a prospect than any of our WR's. I might put him even with Givens but I have little faith in Quick and Austin is a slot. Why spend a REALLY premium pick on a RT when the one we have is just fine...at least recently?

Why so little faith in them? Quick I can somewhat understand because he's in year two, but he's shown flashes that would suggest it's far too soon to give up on him so soon. If he doesn't show enough improvement next year then sure.. But not yet. As for Austin, he's a rookie with less than half a season under his belt, how can you give up on someone 7 games in? Makes zero sense to me.

And why wouldn't you want to get a premier RT if he's there for the picking? Barksdale has been great don't get me wrong, but he's not a long term solution at RT, he's a great depth and emergency guy, but if we can get a highly rated prospect with more upside and talent why not improve the line?

WvuIN02

Starter
Manziel has bust written all over him. Aside from all the size, mechanics, and physical limitations.....the kid is overly immature for his age.

V3

Hall of Fame
Why so little faith in them? Quick I can somewhat understand because he's in year two, but he's shown flashes that would suggest it's far too soon to give up on him so soon. If he doesn't show enough improvement next year then sure.. But not yet. As for Austin, he's a rookie with less than half a season under his belt, how can you give up on someone 7 games in? Makes zero sense to me.

And why wouldn't you want to get a premier RT if he's there for the picking? Barksdale has been great don't get me wrong, but he's not a long term solution at RT, he's a great depth and emergency guy, but if we can get a highly rated prospect with more upside and talent why not improve the line?

I was never big on either one of the picks (mainly due to where they were picked and for how much) when they were drafted. I don't think Austin was worth taking in the first round let alone the 8th overall pick AND our 2nd rounder. He's a slot receiver and those aren't picked in the first round. First round WRs are the types that can become true #1 type WRs. I will bet money that Austin will never be a true #1. I think he can be a solid slot and special teamer but that isn't worth what they paid. Also, a WR like Evans wouldn't take Austin's spot so it's not like I'm giving up on Austin. I just want a true #1 and I don't think Austin will ever be that.

With Quick, I thought he was a 3rd or 4th round pick (looks like that was about right) due to the amount of development he'd need. I could go further into draft my beliefs on where developmental guys should go but that really doesn't matter at this point. What matters to me is what I'm seeing and I see a guy who still looks lost and has highly suspect hands. I don't think hands can be improved that much. You can practice on the jugs machine but that will only take people so far. Sometimes drops can be attributed to being a rookie (similar to what I think is going on to an extent with Austin) but Quick isn't a rookie. He'll probably be able to develop more and contribute but I REALLY don't think he'll ever be a #1 WR. This team NEEDS a #1 WR. That's why I would draft a guy like Evans. This team needs a WR that Sam can count on being consistent and has the ability to create mismatches all by himself- no need to scheme the mismatches.

As for the RT, that gets back into my beliefs in draft philosophy. I want to spend my first round picks on skill positions and RT IS NOT a skill position. RT isn't an issue for this team right now anyway. I could live with taking a RT (if we really needed one) at the bottom of the first round but there's no way in the world that I'd take a RT with a top 5 pick. If you're taking him with the intent of moving him to LT later on then I could live with it but that's why I originally asked if the OP thought the Long signing was a mistake.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Alright guys, seeing as the year seems to be over, here's my SANE mock off-season. :lol:

Fire
Tim Walton DC

Release
Cortland Finnegan CB - $7 million saved
Kendall Langford DT - $4 million saved
Scott Wells C - $4.5 million saved
Harvey Dahl G - $4 million saved

Cap Savings - $19.5 million

Re-sign
Jo-Lonn Dunbar - $4 million over 2 years($2 million cap hit)

Let Walk
Chris Williams G
Rodger Saffold T
Will Witherspoon LB
Mike McNeill TE
Darian Stewart S

Free Agency
Lamarr Houston DT - 28 million over 4 years($6 million cap hit)
Jon Asamoah OG - 33 million over 5 years(5.5 million cap hit)

Explanation: OG and DT are two of the best bang for your buck positions in FA. Asamoah is one of the better OGs in the NFL and unlike Dahl and Wells, he's only 25 years old. This is a player hitting FA as he heads into his prime that is a top 10 OG in the NFL. Best of all, he's an excellent pass protector that blocks extremely well on the move. Important player for us to grab to finally get some consistency and continuity on the OL. Lamarr Houston currently plays DE in Oakland's scheme but he's 6'3" 300+ and has always stood out to me. He's a very athletic player for his size with a great motor. He is one of the league's best run defenders at DE. I think he'd offer that pass rushing push at DT and would hold his own as a run stopper. This is the type of 1 gap penetator that is perfect next to Brockers. He's also young at only 26 years old.

NFL Draft
http://www.draftnikcentral.com/dream-draft/view.cfm?id=111
Round 1 Pick #4 - Jake Matthews OT TAMU<-------------------------------Yes
Round 1 Pick #10 - Mike Evans WR TAMU<----------------------------------No
Round 2 Pick #4 - LaMarcus Joyner FS/CB FSU<---------------------------Yes
Round 3 Pick #4 - Johnny Manziel QB TAMU<-------------------------------OH HELL NO!!!!
Round 4 Pick #4 - Isaiah Crowell HB Alabama State<----------------------Maybe
Round 5 Pick #4 - Kenarious Gates OT/OG Georgia<-----------------------Yes
Round 6 Pick #4 - Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska<-------------------yes
Round 7 Pick #4 - J.C. Copeland FB LSU<-------------------------------------Why?

Projected Starting Line-up
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: J.C. Copeland
X: Mike Evans
Z: Chris Givens vs. Austin Pettis
SL: Tavon Austin
Y: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Shelley Smith vs. Kenarious Gates
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Jon Asamoah
RT: Jake Matthews

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Lamarr Houston
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SCB: Rodney McLeod
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: John Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Tavon Austin vs. Isaiah Crowell vs. Chris Givens vs. Bennie Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

Disclaimer: I hope Brian Quick steps up so the Evans pick is unnecessary and we can go another direction in the 1st.

JMHO - don't hate too much..................but...............

Why would we even draft Johnny Manziel?
A running QB with an attitude problem, off the field issues (late for meetings, over sleeps-lazy?), has mood swings etc.
I mean if we're going to draft a QB to possibly give Sam some competition, why wouldn't we draft someone with a realistic chance to make an NFL roster?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I don't think Manziel is eligible this year is he?
He is eligible this year, because he is a redshirt sophomore. By his hints, I'm guessing he'll want to come out and will end up in the draft.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I say Manziel gets picked up by the Texans.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Fire
Tim Walton DC

Release
Cortland Finnegan CB - $7 million saved
Kendall Langford DT - $4 million saved
Scott Wells C - $4.5 million saved
Harvey Dahl G - $4 million saved

Cap Savings - $19.5 million

Re-sign
Jo-Lonn Dunbar - $4 million over 2 years($2 million cap hit)

Let Walk
Chris Williams G
Rodger Saffold T
Will Witherspoon LB
Mike McNeill TE
Darian Stewart S

Free Agency
Lamarr Houston DT - 28 million over 4 years($6 million cap hit)
Jon Asamoah OG - 33 million over 5 years(5.5 million cap hit)

Explanation: OG and DT are two of the best bang for your buck positions in FA. Asamoah is one of the better OGs in the NFL and unlike Dahl and Wells, he's only 25 years old. This is a player hitting FA as he heads into his prime that is a top 10 OG in the NFL. Best of all, he's an excellent pass protector that blocks extremely well on the move. Important player for us to grab to finally get some consistency and continuity on the OL. Lamarr Houston currently plays DE in Oakland's scheme but he's 6'3" 300+ and has always stood out to me. He's a very athletic player for his size with a great motor. He is one of the league's best run defenders at DE. I think he'd offer that pass rushing push at DT and would hold his own as a run stopper. This is the type of 1 gap penetator that is perfect next to Brockers. He's also young at only 26 years old.

NFL Draft
http://www.draftnikcentral.com/dream-draft/view.cfm?id=111
Round 1 Pick #4 - Jake Matthews OT TAMU
Round 1 Pick #10 - Mike Evans WR TAMU
Round 2 Pick #4 - LaMarcus Joyner FS/CB FSU
Round 3 Pick #4 - Johnny Manziel QB TAMU
Round 4 Pick #4 - Isaiah Crowell HB Alabama State
Round 5 Pick #4 - Kenarious Gates OT/OG Georgia
Round 6 Pick #4 - Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska
Round 7 Pick #4 - J.C. Copeland FB LSU

First off, as a Ram fan, it is never to early for a mock draft. Now lets get to it.

Like the firing of Walton. I hope it happens. I also like the people we release, though i'd still like to keep Dahl.

I agree with everyone you let walk.

As for the draft....

Not really a fan of it to be honest. Dont want an OT in the first, Don't want a WR when we already have guys who are still developing. I could understand getting a WR in the 3rd or later, but not the first. We need both a CB and a FS earlier. Don't like the Manziel pick much, but understand it, though i don't see him lasting to the 3rd. And i rather get a G earlier.

Just my personal opinion on it. I understand your view, but just don't agree with it. I'll be making a mock soon, and you might say the same thing about it lol.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

Because Matthews or Lewan are better prospects than Barksdale - and eventually they can replace Long at LT with Barksdale playing RT. Don't like the Manziel pick in the 3rd - just imagine the goons at Rams Talk as soon as Sam didn't have a 300 yard game...Just sign some veteran QB to hold the clipboard. I like Asamoah - but if we cant get him yeh I'd like a guard higher.

You know what as well...I really like Harvey Dahl. People have been down on him for the last few years because of his problems in pass pro but I've always thought hes been a rock for us in a line that has constantly shifted around him. And he plays nasty. We don't have too many nasty o-linemen.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's a redshirt sophomore, and he's publicly said that he doesn't want to stay at A&M. He's bolting the first second he gets. That said, I don't want him. He's far too light to last in the NFL. He's getting hurt in college, for crying out loud. No way he lasts in the NFL.

I also don't like getting LaMarr Houston. He has not shown much of a pass-rush with Oakland, and I see no reason why switching him to an entirely new position will make any difference.

I love the Crowell pick, and it's not just because I was the first one to make it. :p Jake Matthews is an obvious option in the top of the first round, as is Taylor Lewan. I would love to have Asamoah as well, but I can't see any reason why the Chiefs don't lock him up to a long-term deal. I'd be okay with Mike Evans, but don't sleep on Sammy Watkins either; he fits the MO of a Snisher pick (huge upside, minor character issues), and the Rams scouted his teammate (DeAndre Hopkins) extensively. Haven't seen much of Joyner, so I can't comment on him.

I must disagree. Houston is one of the better pass rushers in the game for 300+ pounders in the NFL. His QB hit and hurry numbers are extremely impressive and his sack numbers are solid for his size. Keep in mind that this is a DT sized man going up against OTs and still producing. Whenever I've watched him, I've come away impressed. I'm more concerned about how he'll hold up against the run moving inside but pass rushing? Nah. This is a 300+ pound man with a good set of pass rush moves, a non-stop motor and rare explosiveness off the ball. He'll give OGs fits.

But that's just one man's opinion. You're certainly entitled to yours.

Why take an OT? I'm not taking a RT that high. Are you conceding Long was a bad FA pickup?

Also, I can almost guarantee a CB will taken in the first round. I don't know who the top CBs are going to be but this team is SO freakin desperate for CB help that we can't afford not to take one in the first round. I'd sign a CB in FA also and move Johnson to FS. He'd be better at that position, IMO.

Totally agree with Evans though. We HAVE to get a decent WR in here. I don't share the same feelings about our WRs as some others here.

Nope, I'm conceding that Long is getting up there in years and likely won't be here past the 2015 season. Draft a replacement while you can, strength both tackle spots and allow him to adjust to the NFL game.

As for you not taking a RT that high, as last year's draft proves, NFL teams have rejected that sentiment. And I agree with them. Just like I agreed with them rejecting the sentiment that you don't take OGs in the top 10. You take players where you can get them if they have the skill-set and talent to be elite.

As far as CB, I am not as concerned as you are. I think Janoris will be fine and I think Trumaine will look quite good once we allow him to play tighter and more physical coverage. McLeod has looked solid in the slot to me as well. I think a better scheme is necessary, though. This soft cover 3 garbage just gets torched and then he "adapts" by making them play soft man with 7 to 10 yard cushions. Come on. When we played tight in the first half against SF, Finnegan and his bad wheel was the only guy getting beat.

Me likey.

The only thing is don't you think it might backfire having that much turnover on the offensive line that fast? Seems pretty dangerous considering the most important thing to an offensive line is continuity, and they haven't actually been terrible this year. Also, our corners aren't looking too good right now. No improvement there?

Huge Mike Evans fan, though, that guy's a game changer.

It's a risk but I think you gotta make the chance sooner than later. Our OL is old and we have a lot of overpaid players. Go with the youth movement and let them gel together. It is what it is.

I think the improvement there is a new scheme and a real FS. McLeod has looked good in the slot but bad at FS to me. The scheme makes our CBs look bad too. Let them get up on the LOS and play tight coverage. I think that'll make all the difference in the world.

I thought you were high on Bordles from UCF. He had a heck of a game Friday. Since you threw his name out I've been following him and think he's a gamer. Put him in the second round slot.

I can understand the Evans selection and he is very good. I think we need to go OL/LG high somewhere along with Mathews. I like the Jackson from Miss. Might as well figure out some trade down of one of 1st that lands Jackson. That's right up Snead's alley.

I don't see Bortles coming out and if he does, I think he should go 1st round. If he were there in the 2nd, I'd pounce.

I'd like Manziel, but Fisher won't draft him. What about Murray or McCarron? I think those are good option at QB. We will most likely need to draft one just in case.

There are a lot of options. Murray and McCarron figure in as do Tahj Boyd, David Fales, Derek Carr and another 2 or 3 QBs(Garappolo, Mathews, etc.). It's a great draft to go after a 2nd to 3rd round QB.

V3

Hall of Fame
I must disagree. Houston is one of the better pass rushers in the game for 300+ pounders in the NFL. His QB hit and hurry numbers are extremely impressive and his sack numbers are solid for his size. Keep in mind that this is a DT sized man going up against OTs and still producing. Whenever I've watched him, I've come away impressed. I'm more concerned about how he'll hold up against the run moving inside but pass rushing? Nah. This is a 300+ pound man with a good set of pass rush moves, a non-stop motor and rare explosiveness off the ball. He'll give OGs fits.

But that's just one man's opinion. You're certainly entitled to yours.

Nope, I'm conceding that Long is getting up there in years and likely won't be here past the 2015 season. Draft a replacement while you can, strength both tackle spots and allow him to adjust to the NFL game.

As for you not taking a RT that high, as last year's draft proves, NFL teams have rejected that sentiment. And I agree with them. Just like I agreed with them rejecting the sentiment that you don't take OGs in the top 10. You take players where you can get them if they have the skill-set and talent to be elite.

As far as CB, I am not as concerned as you are. I think Janoris will be fine and I think Trumaine will look quite good once we allow him to play tighter and more physical coverage. McLeod has looked solid in the slot to me as well. I think a better scheme is necessary, though. This soft cover 3 garbage just gets torched and then he "adapts" by making them play soft man with 7 to 10 yard cushions. Come on. When we played tight in the first half against SF, Finnegan and his bad wheel was the only guy getting beat.

It's a risk but I think you gotta make the chance sooner than later. Our OL is old and we have a lot of overpaid players. Go with the youth movement and let them gel together. It is what it is.

I think the improvement there is a new scheme and a real FS. McLeod has looked good in the slot but bad at FS to me. The scheme makes our CBs look bad too. Let them get up on the LOS and play tight coverage. I think that'll make all the difference in the world.

I don't see Bortles coming out and if he does, I think he should go 1st round. If he were there in the 2nd, I'd pounce.

There are a lot of options. Murray and McCarron figure in as do Tahj Boyd, David Fales, Derek Carr and another 2 or 3 QBs(Garappolo, Mathews, etc.). It's a great draft to go after a 2nd to 3rd round QB.

If you plan on moving him to LT then I'm okay with it and understand the move. I just don't believe in taking a permanent RT that high.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Drafting Manziel = immediate QB controversy based on perception alone. And Manziel seems like someone that could be a major pain in the ass in the pros in a situation where he is backing someone up.

I also think he will go in the late 1st round.

Aaron Murray or AJ McCarron would be my choice in the 3rd round area.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
ahhhh the draft talk is upon us!! woot woot love this stuff!

Jrry32, appreciate the effort in your mock off-season and draft.

As far as your cap releases go, depending on the cap hit from all those guys, I agree with it. Although, as another poster pointed out, I would be nervous to make such a drastic oline change. If we can keep Dahl for one more year then I'm all for it. He comes cheap (and willing to restructure I'm sure) and brings an attitude each and every game. Wells I'm okay with letting go just as long as Jones is ready to man the center position. I like the resigning of Dunbar, although I think it'll cost us a lot more than 4 million. I can agree with allowing all those guys you mentioned walk, but signing Williams on the cheap to come back as insurance just in case would be smart.

LOVE the projected signing of Asamoah, who like many have mentioned, will most likely be resigned by the Chiefs... but if not, then hell yea!!! I'd be lying if I said I knew anything on Houston, other than his name and occasional highlight play. For me personally, I would pass on the thought of signing another DE to convert to DT, as you can see it hasn't worked out too well with the last guy we tried that with (see release guys list lol). If it was me, I would focus on signing one big off-season free agent., either Byrd or Asamoah, and use the remaining cap to get ready to sign some of our young core guys coming up on extensions. Remember, Demoff might need some extra dough if he wants to resign Bradford!!:shifty:

As far as your draft goes I LOVEEEE the Matthews pick!!! :cheese::cheese: If we are allotted a top 5 pick next year, I'm willing to bet my car Matthews will be the pick. Aside from the fact that Coach Fish used to coach his dad and they both have a tremendous relationship from their Oiler's/Titans days, the guy fits the mold PERFECTLY of a guy who will start at RT and eventually end up at LT. He played RT last year while Joeckel manned LT (fwiw I think Joeckel will be a bust; never was a fan of his) and many thought he'd be drafted top 15 if he came out! He is doing a tremendous job playing LT at Tex A&M and he is making himself a ton of money. By him staying one more year it allows us the chance to draft him with what will be in all likelihood two very high draft picks (So thank you Matthews for going back one more yr!:wink:). I'd be lying if I didn't admit he's my one of favorite prospects in the last 2 drafts-I'd be crushed even at this point if we don't land him lol. He just makes too much sense. He will do great at RT for us and move to LT when Long's (who I think is playing well) contract is up. As an aside, A&M also has who many consider the top future OT at right tackle for next year's draft. His name slips my mind, but they continue to follow that model of having all star tackles play each tackle position before they take off for the NFL. Moral of the story, I WANT MATTHEWS!!!!:woot::woot:

In terms of selecting another wideout in the early rounds, I agree with many posters in that we have to eventually allow our guys to learn and grow before we invest high picks in more wideouts. Every year it's the same story, where many want to keep churning the wideout depth, but I'm a firm believer in letting these young guys develop. I know some may disagree with me but I think most of guys are locks for next year. I would like to see us go ahead and select BPA, hopefully with the top guard or safety available depending on who we sign in free agents. If we sign Asamoah, I'm all for selecting Ha Ha Dix out of Alabama. Many consider him a stud free safety. If we sign Byrd, then maybe we can trade down with a qb-needy team and pick up extra picks while selecting the top guard. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a Cooper or Warmack in this year's draft.

SHOCKER ALERT: I have been going back and forth on this for a while, but after the Bradford injury:sad: I would like to see us address the backup/developmental qb situation early in the draft. So that's why I would lean towards Manziel in the second rounder. I know, I know, many are gonna disagree, and quite frankly it is a very tough call to make, but this guy just has that IT factor, that thing you can't put your finger on, but when he steps on the field you know he's gonna make amazing plays and find a way to win. Call me crazy, but I like the whole swagger thing he has going on (maybe I'm partial because we are both youngins lol) but make no mistake he will have to learn to seperate that confidence from stupidity, like going out and partying and hanging with celebrities and such. If during the draft process it comes back that this guy is a hard hard worker who really puts in time to be the best that he can be, then I'm all for it because Coach Fish will straighten him up. And for some guys maturity and humbleness comes along a little later in life, and i think the NFL would be a little wake up call. His cockiness/confidence reminds me a little of Kap when he came out and guys like him are those type of qb's that fit today's uptempo, crazy offense. I understand they both obviously don't have the same skillset, as Kap has a better arm and more size, but in our offense Manziel's arm strength and great accuracy fit nicely. And his height/weight is not much of an issue to me anyways because guys like Brees are making it work. I think the guy would definitely bring a spark to ur offense and would fit in nicely with our select fast/high octane guys on offense. You can't teach that confidence and swagger he has and I think he'd bring that kind of attitude to our young team.

After round 2, I'm unfamiliar with a lot of those prospects, as I simply haven't studied up yet on those guys (Didn't think draft talk would happen so soon:oops::oops::confused::confused::sad::sad:) but I would like to see us add more depth at cb and rb. Maybe take a flyer on a wr later in the draft who can be the return guy.

Oh and one more thing CUT PEAD!!!!!!

Hey X, can we have a draft thread sticky or forum?!! Thank you my brothahhhh!!:juiced:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
but this guy just has that IT factor, that thing you can't put your finger on

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! :wink:

But I appreciate the feedback, you bring up some good points.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
HAHAHAHA!! come onnn jrry32, how awesome would it be seeing him link up with Austin on a nice TD bomb and then seeing all our young guys and Manziel showing swag and confidence in the endzone. I think for such a young team like us, we could use a qb who is outspoken and arrogant (in a positive way).

Don't get me wrong, I was a HUGE Bradford fan when he came out (truthfully I cried in sheer joy when his selection announcement was made :oops:), bought his jersey, the whole nine yards, because I thought we had drafted our franchise quarterback, but every time I want to root for the guy, something inside just screams average. I know that may rub some the wrong way but I expected him to be a lot more consistent and lighting up the league. Now I know he hasn't had many pieces around him and many mediocre olines, but a guy like him in his draft position should not be having many people questioning his future with the team. I have made it a point not to share here or in the "other" forum my feelings towards Bradford, but I think this injury has created a perfect storm to see what else we can add to the position that could benefit us in the long run. The guy has the smarts, the work ethic, and the skillset to be a top 5 qb, but for one reason or another when he steps out on the field, the game awareness and IT factor don't consistently show up. BELIEVE ME, I want more than anything for Bradford to be an all-pro qb, even an above average Flacco-like qb, but my gut tells me if he hasn't gotten it done in his first few years, then what makes you think he will suddenly develop the characteristics to make him an elite qb? Fire away boys if you will!!:peek::juiced:I'm ready!! haha

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Sam has started 49 games so he's basically played 3 years of NFL football. Surly I don't need to list the factors that have kept him from reaching "elite status" but no way in the world do you give up on a guy with his skills after such a short period of time, especially when considering all of the contributing factors. You REALLY don't give up on him for a punk like Manziel.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
HAHAHAHA!! come onnn jrry32, how awesome would it be seeing him link up with Austin on a nice TD bomb and then seeing all our young guys and Manziel showing swag and confidence in the endzone. I think for such a young team like us, we could use a qb who is outspoken and arrogant (in a positive way).

Don't get me wrong, I was a HUGE Bradford fan when he came out (truthfully I cried in sheer joy when his selection announcement was made :oops:), bought his jersey, the whole nine yards, because I thought we had drafted our franchise quarterback, but every time I want to root for the guy, something inside just screams average. I know that may rub some the wrong way but I expected him to be a lot more consistent and lighting up the league. Now I know he hasn't had many pieces around him and many mediocre olines, but a guy like him in his draft position should not be having many people questioning his future with the team. I have made it a point not to share here or in the "other" forum my feelings towards Bradford, but I think this injury has created a perfect storm to see what else we can add to the position that could benefit us in the long run. The guy has the smarts, the work ethic, and the skillset to be a top 5 qb, but for one reason or another when he steps out on the field, the game awareness and IT factor don't consistently show up. BELIEVE ME, I want more than anything for Bradford to be an all-pro qb, even an above average Flacco-like qb, but my gut tells me if he hasn't gotten it done in his first few years, then what makes you think he will suddenly develop the characteristics to make him an elite qb? Fire away boys if you will!!:peek::juiced:I'm ready!! haha

I don't see Fisher taking Manziel. His style doesn't fit with Fisher at all. If you're going to take a round 2 QB, it's gotta be Mettenberger, McCarron, or Bryce Petty (if he comes out).

Sam was taking the next step this year. He was putting up numbers that had him in the top half of the league, and led the NFC west in most stats.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would love it if the Rams could sign Asamoah. I really liked him coming out of college and was hoping the Rams would pick him. With KCs new success and the excitement of going from dud to stud that team would be tough for Asamoah to leave right now. I don't think it happens but maybe.

I would try to resign Dahl as insurance. I am fine with the rest of your moves. I would really like the Rams to get some late season snaps for Barnes to see what he really is. If he cannot cut it, then I am very leery of waiting on Jones to produce. Neither is a guarantee right now, for next season.

I would love the Matthews pick. I hope it works that way. I think he is the future OLT and the way Jake Longs contract is structured it appears to be friendly for an early cutting. So, I agree that Long would be the OLT for 2014 but not 2015.

There are some good DTs this year and I would like to see the Rams get one with their second first round pick. Maybe Daquan Jones from PSU or McCullers from Tennessee. They need a more physical presence inside to pair with Brockers. Forget taking another WR, unless they are positive that Quick just wont ever develop. If that doesn't pan out then what about Haha Clinton Dix. His ability to close on the ball is fantastic. Right now DT and Safety seem to be the biggest and most immediate needs on the team. If the Rams don't get a Safety in round 1 (not many of them) I think there are too few available so it may be best if the Rams target Jairus Byrd in Free agency. I doubt they get Asamoah and so they can throw their money at Byrd.

I am not crazy about Manziel in round 2. He is a boom or bust player and if the Rams go that way with a QB prospect I would rather see a guy with all of the tools that can be taken in round 3 or later. If Manziel is there in round 3 then Great! He is worth the risk. But a second round pick is often an immediate starter that produces. Why use it on a guy who may sit on the bench all year? Manziel would be a nice fit in L.A. though. Talk about a splash and putting the Rams back on the map. Move to L.A. and have Manziel as the QB. Instant ESPN attention grabber!

The rest of the guys I am not too sure about yet. Too early for me to tell since I have not seen as many college games as I would like.

I have seen Lewan play and I don't like his lunging and waste bending. He is a strong drive blocker in the run game but I definitely prefer Matthews for pass blocking. I think Lewan is just too tall and the waste bending will always be a problem for him.......as will the reaching instead of playing sound technique.