Jrry32 Too Early Mock Off-Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alright guys, seeing as the year seems to be over, here's my SANE mock off-season. :lol:

Fire
Tim Walton DC

Release
Cortland Finnegan CB - $7 million saved
Kendall Langford DT - $4 million saved
Scott Wells C - $4.5 million saved
Harvey Dahl G - $4 million saved

Cap Savings - $19.5 million

Re-sign
Jo-Lonn Dunbar - $4 million over 2 years($2 million cap hit)

Let Walk
Chris Williams G
Rodger Saffold T
Will Witherspoon LB
Mike McNeill TE
Darian Stewart S

Free Agency
Lamarr Houston DT - 28 million over 4 years($6 million cap hit)
Jon Asamoah OG - 33 million over 5 years(5.5 million cap hit)

Explanation: OG and DT are two of the best bang for your buck positions in FA. Asamoah is one of the better OGs in the NFL and unlike Dahl and Wells, he's only 25 years old. This is a player hitting FA as he heads into his prime that is a top 10 OG in the NFL. Best of all, he's an excellent pass protector that blocks extremely well on the move. Important player for us to grab to finally get some consistency and continuity on the OL. Lamarr Houston currently plays DE in Oakland's scheme but he's 6'3" 300+ and has always stood out to me. He's a very athletic player for his size with a great motor. He is one of the league's best run defenders at DE. I think he'd offer that pass rushing push at DT and would hold his own as a run stopper. This is the type of 1 gap penetator that is perfect next to Brockers. He's also young at only 26 years old.

NFL Draft
http://www.draftnikcentral.com/dream-draft/view.cfm?id=111
Round 1 Pick #4 - Jake Matthews OT TAMU
Round 1 Pick #10 - Mike Evans WR TAMU
Round 2 Pick #4 - LaMarcus Joyner FS/CB FSU
Round 3 Pick #4 - Johnny Manziel QB TAMU
Round 4 Pick #4 - Isaiah Crowell HB Alabama State
Round 5 Pick #4 - Kenarious Gates OT/OG Georgia
Round 6 Pick #4 - Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska
Round 7 Pick #4 - J.C. Copeland FB LSU

Projected Starting Line-up
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: J.C. Copeland
X: Mike Evans
Z: Chris Givens vs. Austin Pettis
SL: Tavon Austin
Y: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Shelley Smith vs. Kenarious Gates
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Jon Asamoah
RT: Jake Matthews

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Lamarr Houston
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SCB: Rodney McLeod
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: John Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Tavon Austin vs. Isaiah Crowell vs. Chris Givens vs. Bennie Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

Disclaimer: I hope Brian Quick steps up so the Evans pick is unnecessary and we can go another direction in the 1st.

fancents86

Starter
Too early? No. Depressing? Absolutely.

Edit: Can we release Pead? And I would very much dislike Maziel being a Ram. Kid is fast, but will be just as fragile as RG3.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I think I would lean towards taking Cyril Richardson at 10 (if available), but overall a pretty strong mock.

A55VA6

Legend
I'd like Manziel, but Fisher won't draft him. What about Murray or McCarron? I think those are good option at QB. We will most likely need to draft one just in case.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'd like Manziel, but Fisher won't draft him. What about Murray or McCarron? I think those are good option at QB. We will most likely need to draft one just in case.

I'd take Mccarron in that spot. He may go in the second, though. Too early to evaluate this list of QBs, this is a good QB year.

Jerry, are you a TAMU fan?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There is some logic to your projections, particularly the "release" list.

I also like your suggestion about grabbing a FA on the oline and Jon Asamoah would be a NICE fit. But do players like him at 25 really get a chance to walk?

duckhunter

Starter
Alright guys, seeing as the year seems to be over, here's my SANE mock off-season. :lol:

Fire
Tim Walton DC

Release
Cortland Finnegan CB - $7 million saved
Kendall Langford DT - $4 million saved
Scott Wells C - $4.5 million saved
Harvey Dahl G - $4 million saved

Cap Savings - $19.5 million

Re-sign
Jo-Lonn Dunbar - $4 million over 2 years($2 million cap hit)

Let Walk
Chris Williams G
Rodger Saffold T
Will Witherspoon LB
Mike McNeill TE
Darian Stewart S

Free Agency
Lamarr Houston DT - 28 million over 4 years($6 million cap hit)
Jon Asamoah OG - 33 million over 5 years(5.5 million cap hit)

Explanation: OG and DT are two of the best bang for your buck positions in FA. Asamoah is one of the better OGs in the NFL and unlike Dahl and Wells, he's only 25 years old. This is a player hitting FA as he heads into his prime that is a top 10 OG in the NFL. Best of all, he's an excellent pass protector that blocks extremely well on the move. Important player for us to grab to finally get some consistency and continuity on the OL. Lamarr Houston currently plays DE in Oakland's scheme but he's 6'3" 300+ and has always stood out to me. He's a very athletic player for his size with a great motor. He is one of the league's best run defenders at DE. I think he'd offer that pass rushing push at DT and would hold his own as a run stopper. This is the type of 1 gap penetator that is perfect next to Brockers. He's also young at only 26 years old.

NFL Draft
http://www.draftnikcentral.com/dream-draft/view.cfm?id=111
Round 1 Pick #4 - Jake Matthews OT TAMU
Round 1 Pick #10 - Mike Evans WR TAMU
Round 2 Pick #4 - LaMarcus Joyner FS/CB FSU
Round 3 Pick #4 - Johnny Manziel QB TAMU
Round 4 Pick #4 - Isaiah Crowell HB Alabama State
Round 5 Pick #4 - Kenarious Gates OT/OG Georgia
Round 6 Pick #4 - Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska
Round 7 Pick #4 - J.C. Copeland FB LSU

Projected Starting Line-up
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: J.C. Copeland
X: Mike Evans
Z: Chris Givens vs. Austin Pettis
SL: Tavon Austin
Y: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Shelley Smith vs. Kenarious Gates
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Jon Asamoah
RT: Jake Matthews

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Lamarr Houston
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SCB: Rodney McLeod
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: John Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Tavon Austin vs. Isaiah Crowell vs. Chris Givens vs. Bennie Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

Disclaimer: I hope Brian Quick steps up so the Evans pick is unnecessary and we can go another direction in the 1st.

duckhunter

Starter
I thought you were high on Bordles from UCF. He had a heck of a game Friday. Since you threw his name out I've been following him and think he's a gamer. Put him in the second round slot.

I can understand the Evans selection and he is very good. I think we need to go OL/LG high somewhere along with Mathews. I like the Jackson from Miss. Might as well figure out some trade down of one of 1st that lands Jackson. That's right up Snead's alley.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Seems like only yesterday that we were talking about draft picks. Geesh.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Sorry, as much as I like draft talk I just can't throw in the towel on the season yet. Maybe if/when we're elminated from the playoffs but I'll be a homer until then.

jjab360

Legend
Me likey.

The only thing is don't you think it might backfire having that much turnover on the offensive line that fast? Seems pretty dangerous considering the most important thing to an offensive line is continuity, and they haven't actually been terrible this year. Also, our corners aren't looking too good right now. No improvement there?

Huge Mike Evans fan, though, that guy's a game changer.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
That looks like a damn talented lineup on both sides of the ball. Count me in.

V3

Hall of Fame
Why take an OT? I'm not taking a RT that high. Are you conceding Long was a bad FA pickup?

Also, I can almost guarantee a CB will taken in the first round. I don't know who the top CBs are going to be but this team is SO freakin desperate for CB help that we can't afford not to take one in the first round. I'd sign a CB in FA also and move Johnson to FS. He'd be better at that position, IMO.

Totally agree with Evans though. We HAVE to get a decent WR in here. I don't share the same feelings about our WRs as some others here.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Sorry, as much as I like draft talk I just can't throw in the towel on the season yet. Maybe if/when we're elminated from the playoffs but I'll be a homer until then.
Yep. Ain't over till it's over.

GO RAMS!!!!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Why take an OT? I'm not taking a RT that high. Are you conceding Long was a bad FA pickup?

Also, I can almost guarantee a CB will taken in the first round. I don't know who the top CBs are going to be but this team is SO freakin desperate for CB help that we can't afford not to take one in the first round. I'd sign a CB in FA also and move Johnson to FS. He'd be better at that position, IMO.

Totally agree with Evans though. We HAVE to get a decent WR in here. I don't share the same feelings about our WRs as some others here.

Nobody is saying Long was a bad pickup with this draft. Remember, Matthews has played RT while Joeckel was at TAMU, he has experience at the position. He's saying it's time for Saffold to go.

I'd rather take Ha-Ha Clinton Dix in the first. There's more talent at CB deeper into the draft. Where as safety drops off pretty quick.

bluecoconuts

Legend

I don't see why we should spend a premium draft pick on a receiver when we haven't even finished developing what we have. That's like buying a new car before you even break in the old one.

As for not spending a high draft pick on a RT, with the rookie wage scale and the fact that now you really need two bookend tackles on the O-Line, it would seem foolish not to take such a good prospect, which would give us flexibility, and insurance, as well as a great OT.