Joyner being moved to Free Safety?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Almost guarantee....because for Joyner's entire career, he's never had an interception. So, with Randolph's first, that's like 200% better correct?
I can't find that 3rd down conversion against link....
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-25-nfl-cornerbacks-this-season/
No int's....and <5 pbu's....meh...this ranking must be a joke
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef
https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/passes-intercepted-and-defensed-leaders/2016/
http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/stats/defensive-players/cornerbacks
(be careful with this last link)....seems more realistic....man, I wish I could find that link to 3rd down conversions...it has slot corners/slot wrs stats.
not sure what LaMarcus has done...I always say, what have you done for me lately....and our last game was 44-6.

Joyner was never going to make a ton of int's as a slot corner. Especially in the scheme/role he was asked to play. In the same link you provided with the breakups it ranks him as the top primary slot corner and 21st corner overall but hey he's no good bc he doesn't have a bunch of int's or pass breakups. There is a lot more that goes into determining what a good db is other than raw stats like that.

Like @jrry32 pointed out the Rams were near the top 5 in 3rd down conversion against %. So either the other db's were so lockdown on 3rd down that they made up for Joyner's supposed terrible 3rd down completion % or you're overstating just how bad Joyner was. When evaluating a guy like Joyner you can't just look at stats bc he affects the game in more ways than that, with his sure tackling and blitzing ability coming to mind. I think he going to make a a very good FS if the Rams move him there next season. If Randolph wins the job and does great while Joyner struggles I'll be the first to happily admit you were right (y)

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
More confirmation that Joyner is indeed moving to FS:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9635/lamarcus-joyner

Player Page
Los Angeles Rams
Age / DOB: (26) / 11/27/1990
Ht / Wt: 5'8' / 184
College: Florida State
Drafted: 2014 / Rd. 2 (41) / LAR
Contract:

LAR.png

LATEST NEWS
RECENT NEWS

Lamarcus Joyner will see time at safety during OTAs.
It falls in line with previous reports. Joyner should be closer to an every-down player under DC Wade Phillips, making him a strong candidate to start at free safety in base sets. Maurice Alexander is expected to replace SS T.J. McDonald. Apr 7 - 7:10 PM
Source: Los Angeles Times
  • Lamarcus Joyner will see time at safety
    Apr 7 - 7:10 PM
  • Rams may move CB Joyner to free safety
    Mar 29 - 12:21 PM
  • Rams CB Lamarcus Joyner listed doubtful
    Fri, Dec 23, 2016 07:26:00 PM
  • Lamarcus Joyner threatened to leave Rams
    Wed, Sep 7, 2016 12:22:00 AM

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
The big thing Mcvay keeps conveying (pun) is that he wants the coaching staff to be good teachers and communicators.

Something tells me a lot of these guys are going to succeed with that being a philosophy of the staff.

I did like Greg Williams. But his scheme and communication style was certainly not conducive to have consistent play.

There getting to work at these very moments! Hate to be an offseason homer, but I think we have a bright season ahead of us!

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Well this pretty much settles it.

Oh don't worry some people will still insist we draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round :)
The initial report stating that Joyner would be moving to FS also mentioned him being there during base sets and moving down in nickel and dime packages. If this is true there still is a question as to who will start there and there might be a need to draft one.

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh don't worry some people will still insist we draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round :)
That David Jones kid seems like the perfect fit later in the draft. He can also play corner with his size,speed,return ability and hands he is too good to pass up. I say take him in 6th.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Or more likely EJ Gaines or Blake Countess with Kayvon Webster starting on the outside with Trumaine Johnson.

Looks I was wrong on my guesstimate. Ex Bills FA corner NRC is our newly signed Nickle-Back Corner! But I am sticking with Blake Countess being a very solid reserve Nickle, Dime & Free Safety this season. I have no ideal what will happen to EJ Gaines .....not looking good for him.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
This was posted today

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer
The Rams will have four key players -- Greg Robinson, Rob Havenstein, Robert Quinn and Lamarcus Joyner -- transitioning to new positions during the offseason program. McVay said Havenstein, moving from RT to RG, is a "sharp guy" who communicates well, which made him believe he can make the move. McVay also re-iterated that not much will change for Quinn, moving from DE to OLB, because he'll still rush the quarterback. As for Joyner, a nickel corner who will be a free safety on 3-4 sets: "He is an instinctual player. And just understanding some of those exit angles, some of those break points -- based on starting from 15 yards off as opposed to down when you're 10 yards within the line of scrimmage -- will be a little bit different. But I think you've seen examples of great guys being able to do that across the league.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
One of the only things I have agreed with Jeff Fisher about;

Joyner is a slot corner only.

I didn't agree with Fisher until I saw Joyner in coverage last preseason.

He looked awful IMO. Total fish out of water.

In coverage, can he keep up with the deep threats?

What about run support? Is he big enough?

I guess we'll find out.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I guess we'll find out.

But he's not in coverage as the free safety. He's there manning the back of the field and zeroing in on the ball. Completely different to an outside cb.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I guess we'll find out.

He was big enough to play inside the box with Barron and Ogletree last year.

I also am very confused by your comments. Joyner's coverage responsibilities at safety will be easier than they were at slot CB. It will largely keep him from having his back to the QB, which is his biggest weakness.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I guess we'll find out.
:D

While you and the rest of us are most definitely entitled to our opinions I just love these kind of comments. Nothing like a definitive statement to tell Wade Phillips that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Wade Phillips feels he's a good player and can play this role. But we fans know better than Wade. Not trying to be a dick though I know by responding this way I will be one but this is just funny to me. Started coaching in 1969 :)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The big thing Mcvay keeps conveying (pun) is that he wants the coaching staff to be good teachers and communicators.

Something tells me a lot of these guys are going to succeed with that being a philosophy of the staff.

I did like Greg Williams. But his scheme and communication style was certainly not conducive to have consistent play.

There getting to work at these very moments! Hate to be an offseason homer, but I think we have a bright season ahead of us!

Yeah - bounty Gate was unforgivable !!

He took out a Hall of Famer by a late hit & rolling up on him in a playoff game.
-- I wonder what roll Bill Johnson played in that as well ?? WhomInrespect in his D/Lines over the years.

Go listen to Ogletree & Donald's interviews . They only had love for Greg , but do say different in coaching styles .It's only day 1 & will only get better.

As if Ram fans press rewind they will see some 3/4 formations. Tree had a tough time play calling because of all the different Greg Williams looks.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
:D

While you and the rest of us are most definitely entitled to our opinions I just love these kind of comments. Nothing like a definitive statement to tell Wade Phillips that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Wade Phillips feels he's a good player and can play this role. But we fans know better than Wade. Not trying to be a dick though I know by responding this way I will be one but this is just funny to me. Started coaching in 1969 :)

I listen to a Joesph interview about him as as a head coach taking over for Wade on Defense. He said I was thought by Wade & he left him with his defense.

Wade will be a HOF coach in his career at the end. Being The Rams D- Cordinator will send him over the top .

McVay will give Wade the Defense !! He wants to learn from him , but it's a we vs me thing.

McVay answers & tLks a lot about Joyner . They seem to love or really like this guy. McVay says he is a superb buckle with great football instincts .

They like his skill set & he tackles well.He says he just needs to adjust back 10 to 15 yards back .

--- Joyner has never really been a CB .
Against Buffalo he was almost like a LB at times with Mark Barron on the other side.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This was posted today

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer
The Rams will have four key players -- Greg Robinson, Rob Havenstein, Robert Quinn and Lamarcus Joyner -- transitioning to new positions during the offseason program. McVay said Havenstein, moving from RT to RG, is a "sharp guy" who communicates well, which made him believe he can make the move. McVay also re-iterated that not much will change for Quinn, moving from DE to OLB, because he'll still rush the quarterback. As for Joyner, a nickel corner who will be a free safety on 3-4 sets: "He is an instinctual player. And just understanding some of those exit angles, some of those break points -- based on starting from 15 yards off as opposed to down when you're 10 yards within the line of scrimmage -- will be a little bit different. But I think you've seen examples of great guys being able to do that across the league.

Soul surfer wrote under this about Joyner not begin as good Outside CB .

As an example though he was playing in the middle having to shed blocks inside against the run against guards.

Being downfield more willl only give him more time to react & slip through traffic.
-- as McVay says is by taking good angles. You can see that in tape.

--a highlight I saw of Joyner at FSU was when he played FS & came in a blitz. Some how a running back got free & Joyner was 10 yards up field for a TFL . He kept on the play & caught the back running 59 yards to cause a fumble. Then was running the ball the other way..
Was a great hustle play .
-- Was he a team Captain there ? He played an excellent FS , & shows on tape that that is the best fit for Joyner. He is just a baller.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Soul surfer wrote under this about Joyner not begin as good Outside CB .

As an example though he was playing in the middle having to shed blocks inside against the run against guards.

Being downfield more willl only give him more time to react & slip through traffic.
-- as McVay says is by taking good angles. You can see that in tape.

--a highlight I saw of Joyner at FSU was when he played FS & came in a blitz. Some how a running back got free & Joyner was 10 yards up field for a TFL . He kept on the play & caught the back running 59 yards to cause a fumble. Then was running the ball the other way..
Was a great hustle play .
-- Was he a team Captain there ? He played an excellent FS , & shows on tape that that is the best fit for Joyner. He is just a baller.
Yeah there's definitely no questioning Joyner's hustle or heart, and he can play too. IIRC, that's a big reason for the change, to get Joyner on the field on every down because they feel he's that good. That's a pretty big endorsement of a player that some (fans) felt had played poorly. I'm excited to see this defense.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
As an OLB, will Quinn ever be asked to drop back in coverage, or will he rush the passer every down? How will his role change from DE besides having a knuckle on the ground?