Joyner being moved to Free Safety?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
As an OLB, will Quinn ever be asked to drop back in coverage, or will he rush the passer every down? How will his role change from DE besides having a knuckle on the ground?

Don't think anyone really knows much on this subject other than just wild guesses & from the few statements made from the new Ram coaches on Quinn. IF an experienced talented college pure 34 D weak-side OSLB'er does happen to be officially selected by Snead on the second day of the draft......then we may have a better ideal as to what Wade's plan for Rob Quinn may be when the season begins.

Right now from what I have seen from Rob Quinn play his going forward gears are far superior to his Reverse or lateral gears. Fact is Quinn may not have any Reverse gears period. Now that could be a very BIG issue & might well answer your very good question bubbaramfan.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thx Boni, One more item on my "thing to keep an eye on" during my TC visits. (the list is already too long).

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Thx Boni, One more item on my "thing to keep an eye on" during my TC visits. (the list is already too long).
He will play the Demarcus Ware role. Pure and simple he will rush the passer 99% of the time while occasionally dropping back in zone to mess with opposing offenses.

…..

Legend
Last year's defensive staff needed to choose between getting Alexander on the field or Joyner. That may have played a part in him staying at nickel. We'll see.

I suspect - regardless of his physical limitations - he's already the best FS on the roster. Which might not be saying much...

Good point. Lots to learn with Randolph coming back and impact rookies taking Thier shot at our defensive backfield.

I hope this 9 page thread is more about moving the chess pieces than it is about Joyner, who to me is just another player until he proves otherwise.

I suspect that Joyner skill set and body mass is evolving, and thus his place on the team is evolving too. I don't see this as earth shattering news, but it can develop into locking up a questionable area while we retool elsewhere.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Good point. Lots to learn with Randolph coming back and impact rookies taking Thier shot at our defensive backfield.

I hope this 9 page thread is more about moving the chess pieces than it is about Joyner, who to me is just another player until he proves otherwise.

I suspect that Joyner skill set and body mass is evolving, and thus his place on the team is evolving too. I don't see this as earth shattering news, but it can develop into locking up a questionable area while we retool elsewhere.
Joyner will also be entering his 'contract' year, so not only does he have a new position to play, he'll have to impress a new DC & HC, guys that didn't draft him. I liked him as our nickel CB, also recall that he wasn't happy with his limited role in Williams' backfield, this move will get him more playing time. Depth is looking pretty solid with Randolph & Christian, makes me wonder if LJ will be looking over his shoulder for the football or at the guys on the bench. jmo.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

McVay sure speaks highly of Joyner....We'll see if getting him on the field more produces more INT's & PBU's....hell, tackles too.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
There's no doubt in my mind that Joyner would make a better Free Safety that he would a cornerback.

I just think that's Slot Corner maybe his best position.

Also if he has to cover the tight end in 2 TE set?
I think a good smart a good Quarterback would see that mismatch and go for it every time.
Also the free safety would have to cover third Wide Receiver in 3 wide receiver sets.

I hope Joyner is better than I think he is on one-on-one coverage, because he look like a total Fish Out of Water trying to cover man-to-man.

However as a Free Safety, Joyner may be better in the majority Press that Phillips runs.

Like I said, we'll see.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Nothing like a definitive statement to tell Wade Phillips that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Wade Phillips feels he's a good player and can play this role. But we fans know better than Wade.

I get what you're saying but I'm pretty sure that's why they put boards up like this, so we can state OUR opinion.

Another poster jumped my case for giving the opinions of PFF.

I'm just going to continue giving my opinions and quote any other opinions I want to and you guys can feel free to counter any opinions you don't agree with.

I do like a healthy debate, nothing wrong with that, they can be a learning experience.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get what you're saying but I'm pretty sure that's why they put boards up like this, so we can state OUR opinion.

Another poster jumped my case for giving the opinions of PFF.

I'm just going to continue giving my opinions and quote any other opinions I want to and you guys can feel free to counter any opinions you don't agree with.

I do like a healthy debate, nothing wrong with that, they can be a learning experience.
Totally understandable to post your opinions and this is the place for it. It's just gotten comical people digging in and telling Wade he's wrong. It's gotten to the point several people have stopped participating in this and a few other topics. At this point I just sit back and laugh it's comedy entertainment now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's no doubt in my mind that Joyner would make a better Free Safety that he would a cornerback.

I think a good smart a good Quarterback would see that mismatch and go for it every time.
Also the free safety would have to cover third Wide Receiver in 3 wide receiver sets.

I hope Joyner is better than I think he is on one-on-one coverage, because he look like a total Fish Out of Water trying to cover man-to-man.

However as a Free Safety, Joyner may be better in the majority Press that Phillips runs.

Like I said, we'll see.

If he's covering the third WR, he's playing the same role that he did in Fisher's defense. Joyner played a significant number of snaps in man coverage as a slot CB. His struggles come when he's moved outside. That won't be an issue at FS.

Why would Wade Phillips put a 5'8" FS in iso coverage on a TE?

As a free safety, Joyner will be playing far less man coverage than he would be at slot CB. It's why your post is so confusing.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

Like I said, we'll see.

96D0ED8E-CB13-48BD-A99E-F533EEE52887-39463-00001C79488723C2.gif

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If he's covering the third WR, he's playing the same role that he did in Fisher's defense. Joyner played a significant number of snaps in man coverage as a slot CB. His struggles come when he's moved outside. That won't be an issue at FS.

Why would Wade Phillips put a 5'8" FS in iso coverage on a TE?

As a free safety, Joyner will be playing far less man coverage than he would be at slot CB. It's why your post is so confusing.
I will try to clarify;

In a base defense there would not be a slot corner. So there would be 4 defensive backs on the field instead of 5.

So actually, the free safeties role would be quite different from a slot Corner.

The slot Corner would cover the slot guy. That would be his only job.

The free safety plays at the top of the defense as far away from the line of scrimmage as any player.

The free safety would watch the play as it happened and react at that point.

As far as the man coverage you mention above I already conceded that Phillips plays more press coverage in his 3-4 and that would be a benefit to Joyner.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It's just gotten comical people digging in and telling Wade he's wrong.

I am glad I haven't done that then. :D

The only thingd I've said is I'm not sure that Barron is an ILB and not sure that Joyner is a Free Safety.

I've also said that if anybody can make it work it's Wade Phillips.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will try to clarify;

In a base defense there would not be a slot corner. So there would be 4 defensive backs on the field instead of 5.

So actually, the free safeties role would be quite different from a slot Corner.

The slot Corner would cover the slot guy. That would be his only job.

The free safety plays at the top of the defense as far away from the line of scrimmage as any player.

The free safety would watch the play as it happened and react at that point.

As far as the man coverage you mention above I already conceded that Phillips plays more press coverage in his 3-4 and that would be a benefit to Joyner.

I am aware. That's what I've been telling you. But you asked what will happen if they bring three WRs on the field and Joyner has to cover one. My point was that would be the exact same thing he'd have to do if he were playing slot CB.

Which is why I'm confused as to why you think moving him to free safety (away from the slot CB spot) exposes his weaknesses in coverage.

Press coverage probably would not be a benefit to Joyner, but at FS, he would not often be in man or press coverage.

Although, it's worth pointing out that Wade doesn't use his FS like Gregg Williams did. He doesn't have his FS 15 to 20 yards off the ball playing single high most of the time.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm confused as to why you think moving him to free safety (away from the slot CB spot) exposes his weaknesses in coverage.
A free safety has to act as a third corner very often if they are in a base defense.

Often you can't substitute players and go to a nickel or you are set up in a run defense when a play is called/run.

A little more responsibility in deciding which player to cover as well.
Covering the slot you know who you are covering.

Thinking it through I will concede you are more correct on this subject.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A free safety has to act as a third corner very often if they are in a base defense.

As a former slot CB, LaMarcus Joyner has plenty of experience being the third CB. So that duty won't be new to him.

Often you can't substitute players and go to a nickel or you are set up in a run defense when a play is called/run.

You usually can match the other team's personnel if you want to do that.

A little more responsibility in deciding which player to cover as well.
Covering the slot you know who you are covering.

Well, he's typically in zone. It will be more responsibility based on reading the QB and route concepts but less responsibility in terms of man coverage.

Thinking it through I will concede you are more correct on this subject.

I appreciate that. I wasn't necessarily going for that. I was simply looking to clarify a few confusing comments.