Joyner being moved to Free Safety?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Alot of us have wanted to see this happen since we drafted him. Sounds like Phillips does too.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9635/lamarcus-joyner

Rams slot CB Lamarcus Joyner is a "real option" to move to free safety.
Strictly limited to nickel corner duties under the Jeff Fisher staff, new DC Wade Phillips wants to get Joyner on the field for every snap. He played safety his first three years at Florida State and was a do-it-all maven, racking up sacks, interceptions, and forced fumbles. The Rams are expected to move last year's FS Maurice Alexander to strong safety to replace free agent T.J. McDonald. Mar 29 - 12:21 PM
Source: ESPN.com

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Praise the Son of Bum if he does that. Would be the smartest thing we could do with our secondary.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Let's see here, he excelled at Free Safety in college everybody and his brother on ROD has posted moving Joyner to FS including every mock draft everybody has done....Inquiring minds would like to know why Fisher & Williams did not follow this formula, maybe Williams likes his safeties to be bigger? Anyways this is good news and I'm anxious to see Joyner in this role.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I touted this at the beginning of last year but after watching Joyner struggle in coverage as a cornerback, I just don't see him as anything except a slot cover man.

Psycho_X

Legend
This is weird having things that always seems like common sense to a lot of us here actually start happening on a regular basis.

There is a major need for CB depth though... if Tru does end up getting traded I guarantee Les trades up in the draft to nab the CB he prefers in the bottom half of the first round.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Having Joyner on the field MORE will pay big dividends for our defense. That guy brings the pain on every play.

Awesomeness

jap

Legend
Let's see here, he excelled at Free Safety in college everybody and his brother on ROD has posted moving Joyner to FS including every mock draft everybody has done....Inquiring minds would like to know why Fisher & Williams did not follow this formula, maybe Williams likes his safeties to be bigger? Anyways this is good news and I'm anxious to see Joyner in this role.

In the NFL, it seems the general consensus is that safeties should be about six feet or more. Joyner at 5'8" is well below that. Still, we worked well before with an undersized MLB in London Fletcher so perhaps an undersized FS with an enormous heart will do well.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Been almost nothing, but good news this off-season. Only thing that didn't happen was us getting Groy.

Besides that, this off-season has been fantastic.

And you all know I wouldn't say it if I didn't totally believe it. I was the exact opposite last season.

If we get a difference maker at WR, be it Gordon or someone stepping up or a different Vet, this team is primed to shock the league.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

Literally my EXACT thoughts!!!

Psycho_X

Legend
In the NFL, it seems the general consensus is that safeties should be about six feet or more. Joyner at 5'8" is well below that. Still, we worked well before with an undersized MLB in London Fletcher so perhaps an undersized FS with an enormous heart will do well.

Yeah it'll be a detriment to him at times for sure... same as it was as a CB. But he's fast and feisty and should be fine playing cleanup in the secondary with the occasional blitz. Dude can tackle too which is huge at safety. Hopefully we don't ever have a playoff game where a jump ball against a 6'5" + WR in the back of the end zone is the deciding factor lol.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I believe part of the reason was our weak depth at CB last season.
In addition, safety depth was pretty strong.
IIf Gaines would have come back in rookie form and Sensebaugh would have worked out, maybe Joyner plays some FS.
Of course that would have also put either McDonald or Mo on the bench.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
This would be a great move!

We'd have some dudes that really like to hit all over our secondary. Joyner, KWebb, and Mo.

I fully believe Kayvon will come into camp and take one of the starting corner jobs. This guy wants it!

Gaines played very well in the slot his rookie year before needing to move outside due to injury.

Kayvon and Tru outside (barring a Tru trade) with Gaines in the slot and Mo and Joyner at Safety. Sign me up.

This also sounds like Barron is probably staying at line backer which I personally am excited to see him in that role.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
giphy.gif

MAXWELL

UDFA
Let's see here, he excelled at Free Safety in college everybody and his brother on ROD has posted moving Joyner to FS including every mock draft everybody has done....

I would argue that everybody and his brother on ROD do not in total equate the experience and understanding of Gregg Williams OR Jeff Fisher on the skills necessary to play safety in the NFL. It is always exciting to think of the unknown, but the coaches watch the players and talk to them, and they (at least defensively with those two guys) know things we can never hope to know. There is absolutely zero reason to just assume that Joyner will succeed at safety. The same for Revis. It is not that simple, I think.

And college is not the same as the pros, not even close, to state the obvious.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Great move that a lot around here have been pounding the table for.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Praise the Son of Bum if he does that. Would be the smartest thing we could do with our secondary.

How could Joyner play anywhere but nickel corner. It would create another need and another player playing out of position.

Although Rams D was v,good under Fisher regime, they had lots of high picks as well (talent).

Wade D is less demanding mentally and is more let them play (react). I think it will work IF Wade decides this is the way to go.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Watched This dude here at FSU play his ass off and win a National Championship at the position Phillips is returning him too. I'm too much of a fan to be fair in this move. I'm very excited that Joyner will return to his niche. Keep it comin guys.:yess:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Alot of us have wanted to see this happen since we drafted him. Sounds like Phillips does too.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9635/lamarcus-joyner

Rams slot CB Lamarcus Joyner is a "real option" to move to free safety.
Strictly limited to nickel corner duties under the Jeff Fisher staff, new DC Wade Phillips wants to get Joyner on the field for every snap. He played safety his first three years at Florida State and was a do-it-all maven, racking up sacks, interceptions, and forced fumbles. The Rams are expected to move last year's FS Maurice Alexander to strong safety to replace free agent T.J. McDonald. Mar 29 - 12:21 PM
Source: ESPN.com
I have thought every sense we drafted him, this is what Joyner should be doing!!(y)(y)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would argue that everybody and his brother on ROD do not in total equate the experience and understanding of Gregg Williams OR Jeff Fisher on the skills necessary to play safety in the NFL. It is always exciting to think of the unknown, but the coaches watch the players and talk to them, and they (at least defensively with those two guys) know things we can never hope to know. There is absolutely zero reason to just assume that Joyner will succeed at safety. The same for Revis. It is not that simple, I think.

And college is not the same as the pros, not even close, to state the obvious.

I'll back wade Philips every time over williams and Fisher. Not even close.