Joyner being moved to Free Safety?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wade seems to have a good size cadre of deep free safety candidates already signed & under contract IMO. Not sure why I see so many members desiring to use one of the top 2 draft choices on this position.

LJ who has been basically a starter since he was a rookie 2014 (3 yrs) has now been discussed widely as the top FS candidate .....should ROD also consider another 2014 drafted DB who has been a starter for 2 seasons & would have been a starter for 3rd season if not for the serious damaging foot injury in 2015 pre season EJ Gaines should also a bona fide candidate too?

It was clear to me early & then very clear late in the season that EJ Gaines physically was NO longer able to play the outside corner posts. EJ as a rookie was a 4.55 to 4.6 in the 40 at best. It was his serious professional approach that he displayed that placed him solidly on the roster as a rookie. He was a good physical zone corner that played tough with ultra football IQ with ball awareness that made him a good rookie starter.

That foot injury damage now brought to light his big HOLES in his skills....he was now tight as hell in his hips his former very average transitional quickness was GONE he can not plant that foot & flip his hips any-longer without loosing several steps! His days as a starting outside CB in the NFL is done. Wade should not consider him as a valid reserve to either of those two posts. Leaving the Nickle & FS posts as possible posts to complete.

The deep safety post would utilize his better skills & talents using that high NFL IQ & ball awareness skills. The 5-9 1/2 EJ Gaines plays bigger than his size & is tough. Playing FS would let him put on some needed additional size & muscle to bring the hit with his tackles. Great eyes and route recognition skills that the deep safety is in need of would come in handy. If EJ damage foot does improve a bit this off season then EJ might be a decent Nickel Back reserve too.

Wade already has the 6-2 206 pound veteran FS Cody Davis who is the Rams fasted Ram DB, Brian Randolph, Jerome Couplin & Marqui Christian ready to go you add in LJ & EJ into the mix @ FS & it should give you some excellent contenders by the time pre season ends. I see Zero need for drafting any safety with so many needs elsewhere.

I do not see EJ Gaines making this roster in 2017 if he remains as a outside CB candidate.

LMAO -- you my friend make me laugh at your assumption about EJ !!!

I'll also add some Ram fans around IMO are delusional that Randolph is going to be all that good as a unknown UDRFA coming off a knee surgery .
He is going to make the team before EJ Gaines ??

Exposed EJ's weakness ? I think his weakness he was trying to play hurt for the betterment of The Rams organization. Look at all the injuries & then Troy Hill doing his thing. Maybe I'm off my rocker , but I'll stand 100% behind EJ Gaines until proven other wise.
I'd say he has a better track record than some give him credit for. He was shutting down Kenny Britt in practice , until they got tangled up in training camp .

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
LMAO -- you my friend make me laugh at your assumption about EJ !!!

I'll also add some Ram fans around IMO are delusional that Randolph is going to be all that good as a unknown UDRFA coming off a knee surgery .

Exposed EJ's weakness ? I think his weakness he was trying to play hurt for the betterment of The Rams organization. Look at all the injuries & then Troy Hill doing his thing. Maybe I'm off my rocker , but I'll stand 100% behind EJ Gaines until proven other wise.
I'd say he has a better track record than some give him credit for. He was shutting down Kenny Britt in practice , until they got tangled up in training camp .

Yep EJ Gaines has a pro has had injury issues. His rookie season got off to a strong start but a knee injury during week 9 slowed him down dramatically & he struggled until he suffered a concussion & was out completely for the last game of the season. EJ Gaines missed all of 2015 season with a foot injury. Early in 2016 TC EJ suffered a set back with a hamstring injury. Then in his first pre season action he was injured once again with a quad strain. EJ was held out until the regular season started & was listed on the injury list for 3 weeks with a thigh injury.Later last season EJ re-injured the same thigh & missed 2 full games & half of another. EJ did return to start the last few games of last season. That's a good amount of injuries over the last 3 yrs.

Getting injured so much is also a weakness too. I know Fisher & Gregg placed a large amount of hope in EJ to break through as a good 2nd Ram corner. EJ failed both of them. Are you so sure that Wade will be so willing to take another chance on your opinion?

So what do you expect EJ to do in 2017 in Wade's defense? EJ is also in his last yr of his rookie contract.? I was really trying to be easy on EJ Gaines present ability to play outside corner on one of my "be kind day's"......How high is your rocker?:snicker:

I might let @LACHAMP46 throw down some comments on Brian Randolph....he has followed him longer than I have.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
was really trying to be easy on EJ Gaines present ability to play corner on one of my "be kind day's"......How high is your rocker?:snicker:

It's pretty high , but it still has not tilted.

Thanks for being nice :)

If Tru does get traded The Rams must be confident on someone playing CB ? Anyway EJ is one of my favorites. He is a pro's pro , & I think he will have a successful career.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

If Tru does get traded The Rams must be confident on someone playing CB ? Anyway EJ is one of my favorites. He is a pro's pro , & I think he will have a successful career.

It's all about whether Gaines can fully recover from his lisfranc injury, So Ram.

That's a tough one to recover from. I'm certainly pulling for him, but it's too risky to put all of our eggs in the Gaines basket just yet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok @jrry32
I'll play

Darrian Stewart- 4.50

TJ Ward - 4.46

Lets just focus on these two....as I also show you a quote from Walter Football in 2010

That's two guys...on the same team now...who ran 4.5's at the combine....and TJ was so ticked he ran his again and bettered it.

Glover Quinn...4.50
Danieal Manning....4.46
Gerald Sensabaugh.....4.44

Ken Hamlin & DJ Swearinger look like...well, they settled, not the norm of what son of bum finds.

Joyner....4.55
Interesting that he ran a 4.47 at his pro day....hmmm....I guess I stand corrected. Except his play matches this assessment
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lamarcus-joyner?id=2543492

Ok....You say the 4 bench reps have nothing to do with a player having multiple injuries....well, I'd guess it does.

There's no need to play. I already supplied all the evidence. You choose to cherry-pick the things that support your preconceived notions. That's not empirical evidence.

You also can't compare Pro Day 40 times to Combine 40 times. Pro Day 40 times are typically 0.08 to 0.12 seconds faster.(some tracks are even faster than that)

Yes, I say 4 bench press reps have nothing to do with Tyrann Mathieu tearing his ACL twice. I welcome you to explain the connection there.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You can't compare 40's from prodays & the combine. Correct.

Yes, I say 4 bench press reps have nothing to do with Tyrann Mathieu tearing his ACL twice. I welcome you to explain the connection there.
Just a theory....Guys with weak muscle attachments (as demonstrated by poor explosive numbers) are generally weaker all over their bodies. Weak muscle attachments are not limited to the shoulder girdle...they probably exists in the tibial ligament attachments as well...Hence, multiple ACL tears. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

This will definitely be an interesting season.

I see G-Rob finally living up to his draft status and ability.

I see the lesser drafted players, finally exposing what I fear they are....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just a theory....Guys with weak muscle attachments (as demonstrated by poor explosive numbers) are generally weaker all over their bodies. Weak muscle attachments are not limited to the shoulder girdle...they probably exists in the tibial ligament attachments as well...Hence, multiple ACL tears. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I think that's a stretch, but you did give an explanation.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Let me add this I also really like the way EJ approached the NFL with the Rams too. Oozes with professionalism.

Just because I am totally convinced he can not be successful as a starter on the two outside post does not demean him. I paid close attention to EJ last season....EJ can not use that foot to plant effectively smoothly flip those hips & remain with his receiver. EJ was forced to give way too much distance t the LOS. EJ just does not have enough make up speed to overcome this damaged foot. He was beat over & over & over ..............However playing deep safety with his other good skills & talents could make him very valuable to the Rams secondary again & to Wade.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Let me add this I also really like the way EJ approached the NFL with the Rams too. Oozes with professionalism.

Just because I am totally convinced he can not be successful as a starter on the two outside post does not demean him. I paid close attention to EJ last season....EJ can not use that foot to plant effectively smoothly flip those hips & remain with his receiver. EJ was forced to give way too much distance t the LOS. EJ just does not have enough make up speed to overcome this damaged foot. He was beat over & over & over ..............However playing deep safety with his other good skills & talents could make him very valuable to the Rams secondary again & to Wade.

Fair , but I think his foot wil be healed(heeled ) or whatever part of his foot it is . I'm not a Dr. Or have any knowledge of his injury.
--What I did see is 2 practices at UCI & EJ was playing excellent those days.
Then he got hurt on opposite of field away from the crowd. That was basically it after that. He had to battle back from whatever was bothering him. If it was his foot from the season before & it is a permanent injury that effects his play & speed ?
My point is if the coaching staff is going by film from last season & not knowing how is injury healed ?? Well EJ Gaines could be one heck of a surprise .

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
JJ Dielman with a prospective second-rounder as a center in this year's draft prior to his lisfranc. Now he'd be lucky to be drafted at all.
Unfortunately, Barrett Jones, who was also projected as a second rounder, set the standard for a lot of teams but how serious Lisfranc could be.

I have my fingers crossed for EJ Gaines but not sure we can count on him anymore.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Good lord still arguing about this? Here ya go boys.

keep-calm-and-take-a-chill-pill-89.png
I look at it as a vigorous healthy conversation. :)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's all about whether Gaines can fully recover from his lisfranc injury, So Ram.

That's a tough one to recover from. I'm certainly pulling for him, but it's too risky to put all of our eggs in the Gaines basket just yet.

Agreed but to think he is going to get cut & better as a SS or FS ? As a nickel CB I like he was playing as a rookie for the most part.

Joyner struggles because teams have such big TE's & WR's lining up in the slot

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
One thing is for certain....Rams fans during the offseason could be labeled delusional....LOLOL

I'm one of those fans. I have watched a lot of SEC football over the last 15 years.....I was amazed at the power shift...from the B1G, Big-12, and Pac-12 to the SEC...as the conference to get power players....then later skill positions...Brian Randolph was a team leader on a very talented Vols defensive unit. Plays with passion...and, of course as a "Fish" guy, he plays with that edge. He's a hitter....with speed. I believe he could probably play SS too...

If you had posed this question 15 years ago, you might be correct. ACL's are now very common and the recovery time from surgery has been drastically reduced. However, Lisfranc injuries remain troublesome for even the best healers in this game. I believe it has to do with the speed one can begin rehab. I would think that you'd be in some type of restrictive boot with Lisfranc....while ACL recovery starts asap with range of motion stuff...

I will state...without proof, that the Rhino will out play Cody Davis this offseason and replace him (oh yes, Rhino plays ST's too) and if son of bum spies him flying around....much like our ole Darrian Stewart, I see him getting the starting spot over Joyner....and any hot shot rookie at the FS spot.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Some of the things being said in this thread are laughable at best. Joyner is a damn good football player and anybody that knows football and has watched him as a Nole/Ram should be able to see that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@So Ram reference your statement on Safety Brian Randolph....:

Yes as a Ram fan & member of the best Rams Forum known to mankind ....I have been delusional at times so I will agree with that. First I would like to address the "Unknown UDFA" remark if you will permit me......for us here in the deep south & who follow NCAA SEC dominance for the past 2 decades BR was far from being NOT known. But it would be normal for southern California folks would probably have no clue who this guy is. The fact that a true southern Calif. homey like @LACHAMP46 knew more than me tells me he is Abby Norm- all.:snicker:

My first general statement on him would look like this...had a very solid college career in the SEC....4 year starter, ton of tackles, a handful of big plays, & was the leader on the back end of the Vol's defense since he was a freshman. BR is rangy safety offers good size, ball skills and play aggressive football. BR's best fit in the NFL looks to be in a zone DB system.

Nationwide what may have really flashed his name to those who follow Draft Prospects was BR did at his pro day. a 4.40 40 yard dash ranging as high as a 4.50 and a 3 cone drill under 7.00 then lets get to the cherry on top of the cream.....31 reps on the bench.

If you can find any Tubes on him you will see some serious closing speed (range) from a safety in coverage from last years 2016 draft class. BR can play up close to the LOS or play single high coverage. Stat wise were .... played in 53 games with the Vols, making 47 starts. BR made 310 tackles, eight interceptions, four forced fumbles and 13 pass breakups during his career for Vol's. BR is a good tackler who shows some hit when he tacks. Show'd he can flips his hips well enough, shows good instincts in run support. Some other stuff is BR shows quick feet..BR does have fixable flaws bad tendency to not wrap up when going low for a big hit similar to TJ McDonald main issue. NFL coaches do not like his high backpedal. Wade will have to fix his backpedal to be a starter in the NFL.

I was sure that BR had won a spot with us last season due to his TC reports plus his ST value fact was he was the #1 gunner & was injured on a ST play as the gunner. That ACL tear injury in the preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys caused him to be IR'd as you pointed out. Your concerns bout that knee have merit it will be his second ACL tear recovery. BR did very well rehabbing with the first one so thats a positive here on this second one on the other knee.I still feel very strong about BR & that Wade will surly provide him the opportunity to compete very soon.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
One thing is for certain....Rams fans during the offseason could be labeled delusional....LOLOL

I'm one of those fans. I have watched a lot of SEC football over the last 15 years.....I was amazed at the power shift...from the B1G, Big-12, and Pac-12 to the SEC...as the conference to get power players....then later skill positions...Brian Randolph was a team leader on a very talented Vols defensive unit. Plays with passion...and, of course as a "Fish" guy, he plays with that edge. He's a hitter....with speed. I believe he could probably play SS too...

If you had posed this question 15 years ago, you might be correct. ACL's are now very common and the recovery time from surgery has been drastically reduced. However, Lisfranc injuries remain troublesome for even the best healers in this game. I believe it has to do with the speed one can begin rehab. I would think that you'd be in some type of restrictive boot with Lisfranc....while ACL recovery starts asap with range of motion stuff...

I will state...without proof, that the Rhino will out play Cody Davis this offseason and replace him (oh yes, Rhino plays ST's too) and if son of bum spies him flying around....much like our ole Darrian Stewart, I see him getting the starting spot over Joyner....and any hot shot rookie at the FS spot.
Proof is in the pudding. Will see & the draft is almost here.
I think the first pick will be a DB.

Who does Fosal like ?? Does special teams come into play ? Cody Davies is a solid ST guy . Does Joyner play ST ? He did his rookie year.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Somebody writes an article on Brian Randolph and suddenly people pencil him in as our starter?

I see Marqui Christian as the guy with the best chance there. (FS)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Somebody writes an article on Brian Randolph and suddenly people pencil him in as our starter?I see Marqui Christian as the guy with the best chance there. (FS)

The Rams sure look thick @ both Safety posts with a main core four of Mo Alexander 4th yr, Mark Barron 6th yr, Lamarcus Joyner 4th yr, Cody Davis 5th yr. Yes I realize I placed a probable starting ILB in the group but we know Mark is not going anywhere & no one is really sure that he will work out inside in this new 34 but we do know that he has enough skill & talent to play safety whenever there is a need. If your a reserve you must either be a star on special teams or be able to play multiple positions.

With this next group of signed safeties you have Jerome Couplin 3rd yr., Isaiah Johnson 3rd yr, Blake Countess 2nd yr, Marqui Christian 2nd yr. & Brian Randolph 1st yr. We do know that Blake Countess can play the Nickle & Dime corner positions as well as both safety posts so he has great value already known. We know from last yrs TC & pre season that Brian Randolph was a top gunner & can play both safety posts. I have do not have any information on the rest of these safeties as to if they can play ST's & play more than one post.

We also know that this years safety draft class is super stacked & if one or more of these high graded & rated bona fide blue chippers fall then Snead may just go BPA & add to this good safety Ram unit.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Somebody writes an article on Brian Randolph and suddenly people pencil him in as our starter?
Who wrote an article on him? I could flip it around, so guys remember LaMarcus Joyner played safety at FSU & wrote an article on him...Regardless of what he's played in his 4 years in the NFL, and think HE could be a fit at FS???? No matter that he's a terrible DB overall....
I pencil him in as the next best option....Since TJ McDonald's departure....Mo Alexander's move to SS....and the lack of proven depth besides Mark Barron...who for some reason is penciled in as a ILB.....no matter that he's never played ILB....maybe in high school...who knows.
On skills....I believe Randolph to be the best option....I see Christian as a nickle db/corner....more likely, he's gonna be cut.